LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
metformin

Anyone on metformin and not diabetic? I have read that it is prescribed sometimes for insulin resistance and am looking for substantiating evidence that it can help. I have to try and convince my p.c.p. to let me try it to see if it can help me with weight loss. I am most certainly insulin resistant!!

I am not an advocate of 'weight loss drugs' and I don't think metformin falls into that category. I am thinking it is a pretty well studied and safe drug that may address the underlying issue of insulin resistance.....any opinions would be very welcome.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 12-31-2012 at 11:03 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I also hear this happens a lot. Do you think your dr will need convincing? It seems pretty straightforward... you might try looking at BloodSugar101. I seem to recall something about this there. good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
The endo I saw for a couple of years at Cleveland Clinic only spoke about metformin as being a drug that stopped the liver from inappropriately dumping glucose. I don't remember him ever mentioning it improving insulin sensitivity.

The website mentioned by ravenrose agrees with what the endo told me. However, several other benefits are noted which you might be able to sell to your pcp. It appears to help prevent several types of cancer. Metformin might also help to heal a fatty liver. It appears to be a benign drug so maybe you could convince your doctor to try it for 6 months to see if it will help you with weight loss.

I would strongly recommend using the extended release and building up over several weeks to the full dose. My pcp suggested I switch taking metformin from evening to morning and my blood sugars ROCKETED to 250 . Needless to say (after actually weeping over those readings) I went back to taking metformin at bed time. When initially prescribed I took it with dinner, but found for me it works better at bedtime.

I know you aren't crazy about the webmistress, but there is a good collection of documentation and studies about metformin on her website.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
After I posted the above info, I reread Dr. Richard Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" published in 2011 about metformin. He prefers the name brand drug Glucaphage to metformin, but does state that this is in the class of drugs known as insulin sensitizing drugs. It is the first drug he prescribes to try to make a person more sensitive to insulin and Actos as a backup to that. Actos has recently come under more fire because of side effects so I (Mobear) would not even consider Actos.

If you can get a hold of his book from your library, the info is on pages 248-251.

Auntie Em used to have so much of this info to help us and I just realized that she hasn't posted in several months . Hope she is ok!
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
After I posted the above info, I reread Dr. Richard Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" published in 2011 about metformin. He prefers the name brand drug Glucaphage to metformin, but does state that this is in the class of drugs known as insulin sensitizing drugs. It is the first drug he prescribes to try to make a person more sensitive to insulin and Actos as a backup to that. Actos has recently come under more fire because of side effects so I (Mobear) would not even consider Actos.

If you can get a hold of his book from your library, the info is on pages 248-251.

Auntie Em used to have so much of this info to help us and I just realized that she hasn't posted in several months . Hope she is ok!
Thank you so much Maureen for the very useful information. I have been missing Auntie Em as well. She is such a kind and intelligent person....wonder why she isn't posting these days....???

I am going to see if I can get Dr. Bernstein's book. It has been on my 'hit list' for some time now. Thank you again.

I just placed Diabetes Solution on hold and can pick it up tomorrow!!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Yes, I have been on metformin several years for insulin resistance. I have PCOS and I had high insulin levels. The metformin got my insulin levels into normal range. I am not diabetic. I am on 1500 mg/day Metformin ER (extended release). There are quite a few posts about metformin over in the Diabetes thread, even if you don't have diabetes much of the info there is relevant. Metformin alone has not helped me with weight loss, however. In fact at times I have gained weight while on it. A low carb diet is still a must! Metformin is also thought to have other health benefits besides helping with insulin levels, for a generally healthy person with high insulin I don't know why a doctor would be hesitant to prescribe it.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 01-01-2013 at 01:55 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
There are even some studies that it may help fight cancer.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: larryskathy
Stats: 164/130/125
WOE: Atkins
Yes I am on it for insulin resistance and have lost weight. 40 lbs to be exact to date! I was never overweight, always exercised my entire life and approximately 10 years ago gradually started gaining weight even though I actually started to watch what I ate while continuing to constantly work out. Finally I switched obgyns and immediately my new one suspected IR. I have never been happier and never felt better. I will be on metformin 2 years in April. I will reiterate that I never had weight problem before and always was and still am active. I am back to the weight I was at before I had babies and this is the weight I should be at.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: low-carb-c
I'm not diabetic, but insulin resistant and on Metformin. I'm finally losing weight on Metformin plus low carb. Down 22 pounds so far and I'm thrilled.

The side effects can be tough to live with until your body adapts, but oh so worth it.

Cindy
low-carb-c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Thank you for all the replies. No metformin for me at the moment....