Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   HELP! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/792290-help.html)

B761 12-29-2012 12:33 PM

HELP!

Hi all - Im new to this

Im 37 and pretty thin ( 190 lbs ) Ive always ate horribly - fast food and lots of sweets.

After blurry vision - went to doctor and diagnosed type 2

Im on Metformin 1000mg twice daily and fasting bgl is usually 240
and after meals it is generally 350.
I bought a keytone test kit with my own $ and am ofter in the moderate to high range. Im afraid my doctor is negligent and my #'s are way too out of control....

My classes havent started yet and I have no idea how to feed myself.
Ive been eating very little due to this and have been surviving on adams PB and celery - split pea soup - egg whites and tuna... im eating very little carbs.... Im growing weak

What should I be doing until the meds kick in???

please let me know if im missing something....god I want a double cheese burger

-thank you
-b761

Kaarren 12-29-2012 12:59 PM

Hey B761

Go eat a double cheeseburger, just skip the bun.

Your classes will be different than what you see here on the low carb site.

Just take it all in & see what works for you. I found that the ADA diet had too many carbs that caused cravings, so I followed Atkins style, it was easier.

GOOD LUCK

B761 12-29-2012 01:45 PM

I'm not sure if im just being dramatic... but these # seem extremely high? bgl at 415?

With the high #'s and keytones showing moderate/high - im fearful of everything!

Is it likely my #'s have been growing to these high levels for years or that i became insulin resistant very rapidly?

if I ate a Quarter Pounder WITH a bun - would I possibly need to be hospitalized?

-Very fearful
B76

E.W. 12-29-2012 11:44 PM

You might want to call your Dr. about that bg of 415. That and being in Ketosis may indicate you are not a type 2 diabetic but may have developed type 1 diabetes. If it
stays that high or higher and you can't get your Dr. I would realy consider going to
the ER as soon as possible like today! Of course I am not a Dr. ect.

Mistizoom 12-30-2012 08:40 PM

I agree with the PP, if you are in ketosis with blood glucose readings that high it could be a dangerous situation and you should see or call a doctor right away.

I highly recommend Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution book. It is a comprehensive diabetes management book with a low carb diet. He also has a book called The Diabetes Diet which will help with his recommended WOE. This will not be the type of diet most doctors and nutritionists would put you on, however.

I also agree you should eat the bacon cheeseburger, hold the bun. You need to be eating plenty of good fats and it doesn't sound like you are doing that right now.

Good luck, please stick around, this forum is a great resource.

Kaarren 12-31-2012 02:52 PM

HI

B761

How are you doing? we care about you....

B761 01-01-2013 02:11 PM

morning levels at 305 today...
they'e been lowering lately.

made lentil / turkey / celery chili for lunch ....

i ate a piece of whole grain bread with an egg white at 8pm last night...
it seems that any grains are bad atm...

why does the diabetic pyramid have mainly grains and starchy foods listed as the
best things to eat???? is this a joke????

-my classes don't start for a week.... i jsut hafta wait it out it seems....

I dont want to incur hospital bills for this so early on - hopefully i wont
need to go onto insulin for years to come.... my next scheduled blood tests are in 2 weeks....

my vision is blurry at extremely close range now.... before it was blurry at far ranges...

the metformin has curbed my appetite - but as stated before, im average weight 6'1" - 185lbs....

Kaarren 01-01-2013 02:24 PM

Hi there

Hopefully, after you get your sugars down, your blurry vision will go away.

If it costs $$ to attend a class, skip it. Just get an atkins or some low carb plan & follow it.

Keep up the Metformin, and keep up the good work

Mistizoom 01-01-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B761 (Post 16164422)
morning levels at 305 today...
they'e been lowering lately.

made lentil / turkey / celery chili for lunch ....

i ate a piece of whole grain bread with an egg white at 8pm last night...
it seems that any grains are bad atm...

why does the diabetic pyramid have mainly grains and starchy foods listed as the
best things to eat???? is this a joke????

-my classes don't start for a week.... i jsut hafta wait it out it seems....

Unfortunately it is not a joke - to them. What the medical establishment will tell you and what is actually the best way for a diabetic to eat are two completely different things. They will tell you that you should eat low fat (it sounds like you are doing that) and "good carbs" (like whole grains) which you are doing as well. THEY ARE WRONG. Please, check out the Blood Sugar 101 website and Dr. Bernstein's website. You can find a lot of great information on both of those sites. Also check out this thread on Dr. Bernstein's eating plan, lots of good info there as well: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...justments.html.

E.W. 01-01-2013 03:17 PM

Heart disease is much much more common in us diabetics. I even saw one statement that
if you were diabetic and 10% overweight there was a 98% chance of getting heart problems. So most of the medical establishment still believes we need to eat this low
fat diet to prevent this heart disease. Well a lot of newer studies point out a verry
low carb high fat medium protein diet may be a lot more heart healthy. By the way
have you noticed pork is leaner than it was years ago ? I read somewhere that to get
leaner pork they feed the pigs a little less carbs and more saturated fat !

Jrw85705 01-02-2013 06:11 AM

I have to concur with the others who recommend Dr. Bernstein's book. I have type II diabetes, diagnosed in 2005. I never felt I had control, even with metformin - Byetta - Victoza, while eating the ADA recommended diet. Once I started to follow Dr. Bernstein's method of eating and exercise, my numbers came under control. My Dr. had me decrease my meds until as of 1 month ago I not longer take any medication. In the future I may have to go back on some but I'll face that when it happens.

It's not easy for people like me who love my carbs. But I had to decide what was more important; having my diabetes under control or run the risk of all of the potential terrible results of uncontrolled diabetes.

Of course everyone is different and I would never try to convince anyone what to do. I can only relay my experiences and hope they can help. I hope you are able to find your own solutions.

Vilya 01-02-2013 02:46 PM

Since your BG is so high, the best thing you can do until you can get back to the doctor is cut out the carbs pretty much completely, except for non-starchy veggies.

That means NO bread, pasta, rice, corn, beans, potatoes, legumes, fruit, sugar, regular milk.

Eat meat, vegetables (no root vegetables), eggs, butter, cream, full-fat cheeses and salad dressings.

I would ask for the tests to rule out Type 1 or Type 1.5, just to be sure. T1's on here, help me out - it's the C-peptide and GAD antibody tests?

The classes you'll take will most likely tell you to eat the ADA diet, which is 45 carbs PER MEAL. That's more than I eat in a day. The nutritional advice given to diabetics is shamefully inaccurate and unethical, in my opinion. I ignore it completely. Please do check out the website Blood Sugar 101, which is an excellent resource for all things diabetes.

LoriWants2Lose 01-09-2013 12:48 AM

How are you doing? You are wasting your time with the diabetes classes. What they teach you is wrong, wrong, wrong and will only require you to be on more meds over time.

Here is what you can eat that is low carb:

Big juicy steak with steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower)
Chicken (not breaded, but you can fry it in extra virgin olive oil or butter)
Turkey
Eggs
Cheese (limit to 3 oz. a day because it has some carbs)
SF Jello
Pork Rinds
Sour Cream (whole fat kind with the lowest carbs)
Cottage Cheese (same thing)
Salad with meat in it

Here is what you should not eat:

Bread of any type, even whole wheat
Sweets of any type, cut the word "sugar" from your diet. It is hard, but after the first week it gets easier and you will start to feel better
Starches, cut out potatoes, peas, carrots, maybe even beans for a while, although after the first two weeks you can add some things back in like berries, lentils, nuts

Here is a typical menu in our house. I hope this helps you.

Breakfast: 2 eggs with 2 links of turkey sausage or bacon (you can use regular, but we like turkey here), coffee with heavy whipping cream (if you like coffee)

Lunch: Slices of turkey with melted swiss cheese on top and a bit of mayo, all wrapped in lettuce leaves. Sugar Free jello.

Dinner: Steak, steamed veggies (broccoli and cauliflower)

Now, since your morning blood sugars are high, you likely have dawn phenomenon. I got my morning numbers down by adding a bedtime snack of fat/protein. This can be a slice of cheese for example. Later, when you get past the first couple of weeks, switch to 6 almonds or walnuts and 1 oz. of cheese. Eat it, brush teeth, go to bed. I saw a 40 point drop after doing this.

Good luck, read the book, test your sugars and learn what works for your body.

ldudish 01-14-2013 01:19 PM

I controlled my T2 Diabetes with diet for many years following Dr. Bernstein so I heartily agree with that recommendation. Another that I would recommend is the Diabetes Miracle by Diane Kress, it is more moderate but still extremely low carb but is coupled with lower fat choices than the traditional Atklins program.

In October my fasting numbers were skyhigh, after 2 wks of Diabetes Miracle they are at 140, still high but they are more than half where they were so I am thrilled with the progress. Good Luck to you.

Lynn

pawleys14 01-20-2013 06:54 AM

my nutritist wanted me to eat 140 carbs a day :stars: that is what got into this mess ..... now I am doing 20 carbs a day... and my numbers are down... I am exercising with walking and water aerobics and I am seeing my weight go down..... what is wrong with these people... are they just brain -washed :dunno: telling us to do such high numbers of carbs....