LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mooooose
Stats: 290/249/175
WOE: my own low carb way
Start Date: Summer 2012
Does Metformin Help with Weight Loss?

My doctor just did a two hour glucose test and if I come back insulin resistant, she wants to put me on Metformin. Does this drug actually help you lose weight, or just make it harder for your body to gain fat?
Mooooose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MadamWu
Stats: 173/182/150
WOE: low carb
Start Date: WW 8/2010 (-25lbs); Low carb 6/21/2012
My doctor just put me on metformin. I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. I am interested in seeing what replies you get.
MadamWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
It CAN help with weight loss, but it doesn't for everyone, nor is it a miracle drug. It helps a bit with appetite suppression and I believe it's helped keep my metabolism steady, so that I lost weight at a more regular pace than I might have without it.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
It helps with weight loss, but not by itself. You still need to be on a well-formulated low carb diet. It helps keep me "honest" because when I ingest too many carbs I have immediate and explosive (!) consequences from the Metformin.

Make sure you start Met S-L-O-W-L-Y--it causes a lot of GI distress if you don't. Start with a dose of 500 mg. once a day and gradually work up to the prescribed dose over a period of WEEKS (not too fast). It's best if your doctor will prescribe Extended Release forms of Met--fewer side effects. ALWAYS take it with food. Some people have to take it mid-meal, because taking it before your stomach is full causes side effects, too.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mooooose
Stats: 290/249/175
WOE: my own low carb way
Start Date: Summer 2012
I started looking at some of the side effects. It looks scary!

Also, that glucose drink they gave me in the doctor's office today to do the 2 hour blood test really knocked me on my butt when it finally wore off. Major crash, hunger, and feeling kinda sick.
Mooooose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Metformin can be an immense blessing if dosed carefully in an insulin resistant person. It's no magic bullet, though
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3kidsandasheltie
Stats: 230(highest)/110/110
WOE: low carb
my 15yo daughter is insulin resistant and has PCOS, she has been taking metforim for 2 weeks now. her dr told her that while it will not make her lose weight it can help her lose weight. that said she is down nearly 7 pounds in the two weeks she has been on it, she has been eating a low carb diet since June and has not seen results like this till she started the metforim
3kidsandasheltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
I've been on Metformin for many years...1000 mg morning and night. I can't tell that it's ever been a help for weight loss nor have I had the GI issues that a lot of people have. I guess everyone is different.
froggyx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
I heard it helps.aid in wl. My bil told me this. He is diabetic. My hubs takes met as well. I should take a.dose, lol.
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
If you look up the Blood Sugar 101 website, Jenny Ruhl has an entire section on Metformin under "Diabetes Drugs. Quick Summary".

Metformin is responsible for my second child (OK, DH helped, too). IMHO, a miracle drug.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #11

Gallery: flatferenghi
my doctor told me that it has appetite restricting properties

but whether i was following plan, or involved in a sordid binging period, i never was aware that it worked for me. However, I guess it is yet another YMMV issue. Congratulations to those of you who do experience that aspect of Metformin. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lizzyanne
I took met for PCOS and let me tell ya.. GI distress is no fun! The doctor put me on a mega dose and it about knocked me out. Me and the bathroom were bestfriends for about 2 weeks. I really didnt moniter my weight at that point in my life.
lizzyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think it helps. good luck.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyx6 View Post
I've been on Metformin for many years...1000 mg morning and night. I can't tell that it's ever been a help for weight loss nor have I had the GI issues that a lot of people have. I guess everyone is different.
Froggy, do you take 2000 mg's a day, and if so, are they the extended release? I ask because I was taking the reg dose and the doc switched me to extended and I am not sure when to take the doses. One pharmacist said to take both 1000 mg tabs in the morning, another one told me to take one in the morning, one at dinner.....another said no, take both at evening meal. One last pharmacist questioned why the dose was so big, of course the other one standing next to her said "that's not that big of a dose"....needless to say I left confused and am just taking one tablet in the morning and none at nite now....and now, my sugar is creeping back up...any suggestions would be helpful because I had to talk my Dr. into giving /finding me the extended release, she thought I was crazy, that there was no such med on the market. Thus the confusion on when to take it, I don't trust her knowledge of it and need someone to guide me...Thanks! Just wanted to add, pharmacist said she, the doc, probably didn't know when I should take it, especially since she didn't know they even made the metformin in the extended release.

Last edited by That Girl; 11-16-2012 at 02:50 PM..
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kidsandasheltie View Post
my 15yo daughter is insulin resistant and has PCOS, she has been taking metforim for 2 weeks now. her dr told her that while it will not make her lose weight it can help her lose weight. that said she is down nearly 7 pounds in the two weeks she has been on it, she has been eating a low carb diet since June and has not seen results like this till she started the metforim
If you dont mind, can I ask what her dose is?
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
Froggy, do you take 2000 mg's a day, and if so, are they the extended release? I ask because I was taking the reg dose and the doc switched me to extended and I am not sure when to take the doses. One pharmacist said to take both 1000 mg tabs in the morning, another one told me to take one in the morning, one at dinner.....another said no, take both at evening meal. One last pharmacist questioned why the dose was so big, of course the other one standing next to her said "that's not that big of a dose"....needless to say I left confused and am just taking one tablet in the morning and none at nite now....and now, my sugar is creeping back up...any suggestions would be helpful because I had to talk my Dr. into giving /finding me the extended release, she thought I was crazy, that there was no such med on the market. Thus the confusion on when to take it, I don't trust her knowledge of it and need someone to guide me...Thanks! Just wanted to add, pharmacist said she, the doc, probably didn't know when I should take it, especially since she didn't know they even made the metformin in the extended release.
I take 1000 mg in the morning and another 1000 mg at night. They are not extended release. I use a military pharmacy and they don't carry the extended release. Even with 2000 mg of metformin, Actos and a shot of Victoza every morning my numbers were going up again until I started low carb. My fasting blood sugar most mornings is now in the 90 - 110 range. That's a whole lot better than 275 - 300 every day. I'm hoping that my doc is willing to take me off of some of the meds at my next check up in February.

I hope you can find some answers.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #17

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I just started taking metformin 500 ER morning and night. Now, I am pretty good on my LC plan and have been frustrated to get this extra 10 pounds off.

It seems to be helping..Now if I get below my set point (for years) of 150'ish..I will know that it is working and I should have been on it before.

Let you know next week..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shmabby
i'm taking 500 mg/daily and I have never noticed any connection between taking it and weight loss. Stomach issues yes - not now but I think because i'm only doing 500 mg. Years ago I had horrible stomach issues.
shmabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: age_me
Stats: 282/265
Start Date: 11/3/12
I have been taking 1000mg 2x daily for almost a month. I am also watching my carbs and ensuring that I eat at least every four hours. Max of 45g per meal, 15 per snack. I also take 10 units of insulin every night. I lost 17 lbs the first two weeks (and I did not exercise or go hungry). I haven't weighed myself since Nov 16th, but plan to do so this Friday. I'm interested in seeing what the numbers will be.
age_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: larryskathy
Stats: 164/130/125
WOE: Atkins
It definitely helped me with weightloss. I have never had a weight problem could always eat what I wanted because I did work out all the time. well, gradually over the last 10 years have been gaining weight, even though I exercise twice a day and started watching what I ate more(mostly low carb). It was so depressing..My obgyn tried to make it sound like this was natural weight gain because I was getting older but I knew that was not it..... Finally I found a new obgyn and I told her of my problem of weight gain and she said she suspected I had insulin resistance by what I had told her. I did the 2 hr test and ended up having it and have been on metformin for a year and a half. I am so grateful to her. I am back down to my normal weight, I ended up losing 35 lbs that I had gained. I work out the same as I always did, do low carb and do not have any added sugar but the metformin has been the thing that helped me get back to where I should be. Obviously watching what you eat and exercise is not always enough. It was so depressing to me before because I thought what is the point? working out so much I should be able to eat what I want, but then working out so much and watching what I ate and STILL gaining weight?? So happy now because I can pretty much do what I want now ...
Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Mooooose, if you were doing low carb right before your glucose tollerence test the
results are not vailid. You need to be eating carbs a few days before the test for it
to give an accurate result.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote