Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Low Carb for Blood Sugar Control

My business partner has been advised to eat a low carb diet to get his blood sugar under control or go on meds. He really doesn't want to go on meds.

He's not overweight. At 69 years old, he wears the same suits that he had custom made 20 years ago, when he was an active duty Army officer (let's not discuss how very old they look, from a fashion standpoint ). He runs 3-5 miles several times/week, etc.

I know what level of carbs I need to be at to control for weightloss, but blood sugar isn't an issue for me - mine is right around 70.

He's asked me what level he should be at for BS stabilization. Where should I have him start? Is it necessary to go down to induction levels? Or would 50 or 100 g/day likely stabilize?

Thanks!

Dieting to look good in cute clothes. Exercising to look good without them
---
I can do Hard Things.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
If it were me, I would start with 100g, spread out over the day and keep testing at 1 hr and 2 hrs. after I eat to see what happens. Then I would drop the carbs some more, but
slowly till he reaches a level he can tolerate. If he has been eating a lot higher carb and he drops the amount drastically it could make him feel faint, dizzy, etc. That happened to me and it was scary. It makes a lot of people think it's the wrong way of eating and they give up. Every body is different, depending on their metabolic makeup and how much insulin they make. Experimenting and testing is so important!

However, in general grains and starches raise blood sugar the most, also fruit and sugar. They should be eaten with protein and fat when they are eaten, as that helps
keep a spike lower at least.

He's going to have to learn a lot for himself, and it will take time. You can't do it for him, although I know you want to help him get a head start on this. It can take a while to get his readings down where they should be, but some improvement should occur
right away. These are just generalities. Diabetes and borderline high blood sugar can be rather complicated. There are some good forums out there that are all about it.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Oh, yes, exercise is important too. Just 1/2 hr. to 1 hr. walk a day can make a nice difference in blood sugar, particularly after meals. Testing before an after can give
additional knowledge for control.

Drs. often don't prescribe enough strips. It can help to invest in your own for a while.
Some even tell you not to bother testing and they send you to nutritionists who tell you to eat lots of carbs. Ugh. It's awful. It's a situation you have to figure out for yourself if you don't want to end up on meds or insulin. And sometimes you do anyway, not due to failure to try, but because you no longer make enough insulin.

Last edited by girondet; 11-10-2012 at 07:00 AM..
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
It would really depend on his diet now.
If he's eating around 300g carbs a day, dropping that by 100 could make a big difference.
Same with the kinds of carbs. If he's eating "sweets", pasta, bread.. changing half of that that to veggies may be enough to manage his blood sugar.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Is he Type I or a non-obese Type II? Normal weight Type IIs are very different from most of us Type IIs! there is also a type of diabetes called MODY or Type 1.5 that he may have. look it up on Blood Sugar 101 if he's interested.

Anyway, going down to 20 grams a day would be way too low for him. Since he doesn't want to lose weight, he needs to be careful here. My guess is that between 100 and 150 grams a day would be an improvement for him.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Thanks everyone. I'm going to have him read this thread tomorrow.

Raven: I don't know if he's Type I or II. I assume II, but you know what they say about assuming....
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote