Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   Confused about my blood glucose levels (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/788423-confused-about-my-blood-glucose-levels.html)

astribling 11-04-2012 06:58 AM

Confused about my blood glucose levels

I have been on low carb for about 4.5 months now, and my Fasting BG is still abround 102-106. It has come down some since I started so that is good. What's weird is that there are times during the day or sometimes even after meals that it's lower and in the 90's.

Yesterday we had a big dinner out. I stayed very clean all day, and then that night I had 1 stuffed mushroom, a ceasar salad (no croutons) and for my main meal the grilled seafood plate (salmon, shrimp, scallops) with butter and veggies instead of rice. I did allow myself 1 cocktail (diet coke with vodka - which usually does not affect me anyway) and then, for the first time in almost 5 months I had a few bites of dessert. Creme brule with fresh raspberries. I ate the raspberries, a few bites of whip cream which did have sugar in it, and a few bites of the creme.

I decided to test by BG when I got home - about 1.5 hours after eating the dessert, and my BG was 101, which is lower than it usually is fasting. That seems very strange to me. (and I do run the test twice to double check).

I did learn that those few bites didn't taste that great, my stomach was upset all nite and I'm up .5 lbs -- (probably bloating). So all in all that bit of dessert was NOT worth it! But I am confused about how my BG works.

Leo41 11-04-2012 09:02 AM

There is evidence that low-carb eating can produce higher fasting blood glucose levels that are not significant--i.e., don't indicate a problem (Peter at Hyperlipid has the scientific explanation for this).

I'm not diabetic, but I get checked by an endo for my thyroid. He regularly runs an A1C test which gives the average BG over 3 months because he knows my WOE and is aware that my high number (93 0r 94) is deceiving. He goes by the A1C.

Meli-Mel 11-04-2012 09:15 AM

Your fasting bg can be the result of so many things- hormone levels, dawn phenomenon, what you ate the night before, level of exercise, etc. Everyone is different, but many people cannot get that level down without meds. It's just one of those things.

ravenrose 11-04-2012 10:11 AM

your body releases glucose into the bloodstream in the early hours to prepare you for getting going in the morning. it's normal.

what Leo says is interesting. I would normally say that you need to be concerned with those fasting levels. the normal range has been lowered to under 90 fasting from under 100 before. In most cases a fasting level over 100 does indicate some level of diabetes. But if your post prandial readings are all good, don't be overly concerned. Just watch it over the years and get a Hemoglobin A1c test periodically to make sure your glucose levels over time are normal. You should definately be below 6 on that. Some doctors say up to 7 is ok, but it's not!

good luck.

astribling 11-04-2012 06:51 PM

Thanks for the responses! That makes me feel a bit better. But I guess it's definitely something to discuss with my doc at my next physical.

Arctic_Mama 11-04-2012 06:56 PM

In some ways stability of the reading is a lot more important than the actual range, if you're not consistently in dangerous/organ damage territory. The swings are what cause many of the negative symptoms we experience (hypoglycemia to hyperglycemia), not so much the baseline. If your baseline is consistent, post-prandials are solid, and your A1C is good, I wouldn't be too concerned.

astribling 11-04-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16058802)
In some ways stability of the reading is a lot more important than the actual range, if you're not consistently in dangerous/organ damage territory. The swings are what cause many of the negative symptoms we experience (hypoglycemia to hyperglycemia), not so much the baseline. If your baseline is consistent, post-prandials are solid, and your A1C is good, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I've been regularly checking them throughout the day and after meals, and the highest I have ever had it post-prandial is at 130. So it does seem that it stays pretty steady.

Thanks for the info! I feel better :)

LoriWants2Lose 11-05-2012 02:38 PM

Your levels sound good, but if you continue to eat desserts it would probably creep back up.

Jakelilydad 11-18-2012 03:29 PM

Forgive me if I read it wrong, but I think you were asking why your post-dinner reading was so low. I would be almost sure that it was the result of the cocktail. I find that whenever I drink alcohol, I get very low readings while my body is metabolizing the booze, and then the numbers go up while it deals with whatever else I ate. In moderation, this can be used to your advantage...

astribling 11-18-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakelilydad (Post 16086449)
Forgive me if I read it wrong, but I think you were asking why your post-dinner reading was so low. I would be almost sure that it was the result of the cocktail. I find that whenever I drink alcohol, I get very low readings while my body is metabolizing the booze, and then the numbers go up while it deals with whatever else I ate. In moderation, this can be used to your advantage...

That's very interesting! I will do some research on this (not that drinking would be considered a good way to control blood sugar LOL) But you are correct, I am just wondering why my fasting is higher than normal when my post-meal readings are always very stable. But after doing more research, it's possible that that is normal for me. I am also on blood pressure medication, and have read that it sometimes slightly raises fasting blood sugar. I do go see my doc for a physical in January, so that will be a question for her.

CarolynF 11-19-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakelilydad (Post 16086449)

So, what you are saying that booze brings your blood glucose levels down, then they will rise when they are metabolizing the rest of the meal..Hmmm..

Interesting..

E.W. 11-19-2012 03:48 PM

As was said earlier this can be used to your advantage. This lowering effect can last up to 12 hours. Some people find that having a small glass of dry red wine before bed will lower there fasting morning blood sugar. Of cource this assumes you can stick to it just
being one small glass .....

deedee 11-20-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Dr. Bernstein talks about this here: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site

Vilya 11-21-2012 07:54 AM

It is very common for fasting numbers to be higher than post-meal numbers. Dawn Phenomenon is usually the reason. If you're metabotically "broken," your body can't handle the normal release of glucose in the morning, so your BG goes up.

It took me about 2-3 months of serious low-carbing plus 1,000 mg. of Metformin daily to get my fasting numbers into the 90's. I have great numbers now, but if I eat more carbs than usual the first sign of it shows up in my fasting number.

I have to remain pretty diligent about what I eat to keep my good morning numbers.

jijane21 12-14-2012 08:08 PM

So weird, I was just reading about bg levels, and then I came here and read this post! This is what I just picked up off of another site!

"One caveat here is that very low-carb diets will produce elevated fasting blood glucose levels. Why? Because low-carb diets induce insulin resistance. Restricting carbohydrates produces a natural drop in insulin levels, which in turn activates hormone sensitive lipase. Fat tissue is then broken down, and non-esterified fatty acids (a.k.a. “free fatty acids” or NEFA) are released into the bloodstream. These NEFA are taken up by the muscles, which use them as fuel. And since the muscle’s needs for fuel has been met, it decreases sensitivity to insulin. You can read more about this at Hyperlipid.

So, if you eat a low-carb diet and have borderline high FBG (i.e. 90-105), it may not be cause for concern. Your post-meal blood sugars and A1c levels are more important."

astribling 12-15-2012 09:35 AM

Thanks Linda! I had not read this before and it does make me feel better. My post meal sugar levels are always very good, so that's reassuring. I do have a physical scheduled next month, so these will all be things I'll be discussing with my doc!

jem51 12-23-2012 10:53 AM

When BG gets low during sleep, the liver does it's job but in diabetes, goes a bit overboard.

At one time, Bernstein said eat a little carb (apple, etc) pre bed to better control this.
Still, if you go w/o food long enough, this may still be triggered.

Diane Kress says eat a small amt pre bed and then a few bites if you wake during the night.

Everyone seems to have different results but I am in the camp of controlling BG and am not comfortable w elevated FBG no matter what LC 'experts' say.

So, there ya go....MHO.

astribling 01-21-2013 03:26 PM

Just a quick update! Had my physical today and talked to her about my FBG. She pretty much told me everything you all have :) Thank you all for that! And they had run an A1c with my last blood draw which was 5.4. So that is good! I'm hoping that the longer I stay on this WOE, that the FBG will continue to go down!