Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Just saying.........

You dont have to read this ,I dont care.This is for me any way.I went to the doctor and she did a battery of testShe would not tell me what the results was until friday.She told the nurse to tell me to come back then and we would talk.I did not even get to see the doc.I am suppose to check bg just fasting,keep eating like I am doing.So I guess I will just have to wait til Friday.GRRRRR
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
one more day won't hurt you. be patient. if you are diabetic, they will want to tell you in person and start telling you what you need to do. bring something to take notes and be sure you understand. when you get news like that, you can go sort of numb and forget everything they say!!!

you will be fine in any case. don't worry about it. even if they tell you you are NOT diabetic YOU KNOW you need to control your blood sugar better and you know that eating low carb is your first and most powerful tool, right!

go get 'em, graciejean! *hug*
Old 09-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks ravenrose for you reply.I have been given the run around about this til i am getting so tired.Just need to be told something.Tonight my bg after 2hrs was 195, waited about an hr. more and it was 202,waited about 45 min.and it had come down to 164. what gives ?
Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

If all drs. say your A1C is what they go by not this kind of numbers ,what does this mean?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
You need to use the doctor as one of your many "tools" in your battle with diabetes. To that end, I recommend Jenny Ruhl's books on diabetes. Also Dr. Berstein. Those books taught me so much about what I should and shouldn't be doing. While their are some doctors out there who are fantastic, most are not as fanatical about you keeping your numbers down as much as I comfortable with.

My Mom's doctor told me that as long as her numbers were below 200(fasting) that he was ok with that. That's fine if you want to lose your feet or your eyes. I happen to like those things very much so I personally would not go by that advice.

Last edited by cfine; 09-28-2012 at 06:19 AM..
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/191.8/152
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: This time: 12/17/14
Hi Graciejean. How did it go at the doctors? Your situation sounds scary and frustrating - to not be sure what is going on or what to do.

All I can say is that I too recently found out that my blood sugars are....not normal. They are not yet in the diabetic ranges officially, but I am reading Jenny's books and Dr. Bernstein as fast as I can to learn as much as I can.

I agree with cfine - from what I am learning I would never want my BG to be as high as some of the "acceptable" numbers I see on charts. I just lost my Dad this summer to diabetes complications. He did everything his doctors told him to do and the last several years of his life were so miserable. I don't want to live like that. I am convinced the key will be getting my blood sugars in the truly NORMAL zone, whatever that takes.

Good luck to you. Read, post, ask questions. The web site Blood Sugar 101 is such a good place to start IMO.

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I don't pay attention to anything the ADA says about acceptable blood sugar numbers. They're way too high, IMO. Blood Sugar 101 is a much better and more accurate resource for diabetes info.

My personal goal is to keep my BG between 70 - 100 all the time, with the occasional post-meal reading of about 115, max. I'm trying to have normal BG, so that I avoid complications down the road. I may get them anyway, who knows, but I'm going to do everything I can to give myself the best possible chance.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote