Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
Retrograding Potatoes (Resistant Starch)

I guess you have heard about Resistant Starch, but I don't know whether or not you know that when you cook, then slowly cool, then refrigerate certain starchy foods for 24 hours, they 'retrograde' to resistant starch.

At one forum, several diabetics have been doing retrograde experiments with new potatoes, making potato salad and their bg raises very little, anywhere from a couple of points, and the highest rise so far was 12 points. If you are interested in giving it a try, here is the process.

Boil a few small new potatoes in their jackets until tender. They need to cool slowly, so remove the pan from the burner, drain the liquid and let the spuds cool in the pan until room temperature. Refrigerate 24 hours, then make potato salad (with the skins on). Only eat 1/2 cup of it. Test your bg before eating, then test every hour for 3 or 4 hours, or until you are sure your bg isn't going to spike.

From what I have read on the web, some say that after refrigerating, you can't reheat the spuds or this won't work. Others say they were able to reheat them slightly to make mashed potatoes and such, and their bg didn't spike. YMMV
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I saw a thread about this at the diabetes board I'm on. It's an interesting idea, though I don't know if I would try it for fear of triggering myself. Potatoes are like a gateway drug for me.

Oh, and I have seen the same thing about not reheating the spuds.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-10-2012 at 05:53 AM..
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Studies show that among other things, resistant starch can increase the body’s ability to burn fat, and can improve insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance. If I can lose weight and improve my diabetes by eating potato salad, sounds like a win-win proposition to me.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
this must be what I encountered by accident a few times when I used to actually eat potatoes... you know when they get sort of hard and not starchy at all and you just want to throw them out? I can't see how they would actually taste right and have good texture if retrograded, but interested in hearing any thoughtful measured experiments!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
this must be what I encountered by accident a few times when I used to actually eat potatoes... you know when they get sort of hard and not starchy at all and you just want to throw them out? I can't see how they would actually taste right and have good texture if retrograded, but interested in hearing any thoughtful measured experiments!
You only refrigerate them for 24 hours before eating. I have done that many times with potato salad... left it in the fridge overnight, it tastes better once the flavors have time to blend well. The potatoes were not hard or bad texture at all.

Just got back from the grocery store with new potatoes. I'll do an experiment and will post the results whether good or bad.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Will you test your BG prior to retrograding, to see the comparison? I'm really interested to see how this turns out!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Will you test your BG prior to retrograding, to see the comparison? I'm really interested to see how this turns out!
I will test just before eating and every hour after that until my bg goes back down to where it started. I'm not going to eat potatoes that have not been retrograded because I know that would shoot my bg through the roof and there's no way I'm going to do that. In this experiment I'm willing to be the guinea pig, but not a stupid one.

The potatoes are on the stove cooking.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
In this experiment I'm willing to be the guinea pig, but not a stupid one.
Ha ha! Fair enough.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
Interesting...
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

This is amazing, it works!!! I ate 1/2 cup of poatato salad.

Before eating - 104
1 hour - 107
2 hours - 92
Old 09-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 330/249/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Why new potatoes? I'm guessing russets won't work for this.??
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

It is difficult to find info. on the web about retrograding potatoes. One site will have a little info, another site will talk about something else, you have to put it all together.

On the diabetes forum I mentioned earlier where people have been experimenting with this, the first person used red potatoes, the second person and the rest used new potatoes because they have less starch. I do know they have a lower GI. On one site it says that boiling the potatoes whole kicks the resistant starch factor up several notches.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Very interesting! I might have to try this with just one potato, because I really think I would have trouble with portion control otherwise...
Old 09-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
I am going to have to try this too...I will let you know the results.

Di
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Subbing
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

You may or may not know that because there has been little response to this thread, I started a new thread about retrograding potatoes in an area where I hoped there would be more responses. So far, there are only a few, but a couple of people have said they are going to do their own experiment and post their results. If that happens, and people have more evidence than just my lowly test, I believe there will be quite a few more who would be willing to try it.

Anyway, if you are interested, you can subscribe to the new thread here.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post15962591
Old 09-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/189/152
WOE: In Limbo
Start Date: Each day is a new day to start fresh.
I don't know if this was retrograding or not, but I had an interesting experience with 12 ounces of white potatoes (cooked, without skin) yesterday. On a whim, I decided to structure what I thought would be a glucose tolerance test yesterday morning. There is 75g carbs in 12 oz of cooked potato without skin. I had those on hand (DH) so I went with it.

Just last week 3 ounces of sweet potatoes - supposedly lower GI AND eaten with protein and fat spiked me up over 150. So I figured the potatoes alone would take me to the moon.

Nope.

1 hr was 128, and 2 hour was 86. I haven't seen many 86 readings at all since I started testing. I was (and still am) FLABERGASTED by this.

I have been encouraged to do a better version of GTT using grape juice or something. But mean time, I am still about that potato!

Not sure if my experience was related to this topic or not, but I just thought i would throw it out there.

DG
Doggygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

You didn't say, I am wondering if the spuds were hot or cold when you ate them, or maybe refrigerated overnight and reheated. The starch is retrograded to resistant starch during the cooling process.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/189/152
WOE: In Limbo
Start Date: Each day is a new day to start fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
You didn't say, I am wondering if the spuds were hot or cold when you ate them, or maybe refrigerated overnight and reheated. The starch is retrograded to resistant starch during the cooling process.
Interesting. They were not hot but not totally cooled either. I nuke several every morning that end up getting fed to one of our dogs at night that only eats fish and potatoes. So they were probably 80% cooled - almost room temperature - when I peeled 12 ounces worth. They were not refrigerated though.

A mystery, as many of these BG experiments seem to be right now.

DG
Doggygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TQuest
Does anyone know of a list with types of resistant starches and how many grams they contain and such? I'm having trouble finding any sort of good information online. Thank you!
TQuest is offline   Reply With Quote