Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   Retrograding Potatoes (Resistant Starch) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/782780-retrograding-potatoes-resistant-starch.html)

Widget 09-09-2012 05:51 PM

Retrograding Potatoes (Resistant Starch)

I guess you have heard about Resistant Starch, but I don't know whether or not you know that when you cook, then slowly cool, then refrigerate certain starchy foods for 24 hours, they 'retrograde' to resistant starch.

At one forum, several diabetics have been doing retrograde experiments with new potatoes, making potato salad and their bg raises very little, anywhere from a couple of points, and the highest rise so far was 12 points. If you are interested in giving it a try, here is the process.

Boil a few small new potatoes in their jackets until tender. They need to cool slowly, so remove the pan from the burner, drain the liquid and let the spuds cool in the pan until room temperature. Refrigerate 24 hours, then make potato salad (with the skins on). Only eat 1/2 cup of it. Test your bg before eating, then test every hour for 3 or 4 hours, or until you are sure your bg isn't going to spike.

From what I have read on the web, some say that after refrigerating, you can't reheat the spuds or this won't work. Others say they were able to reheat them slightly to make mashed potatoes and such, and their bg didn't spike. YMMV

Vilya 09-10-2012 05:52 AM

I saw a thread about this at the diabetes board I'm on. It's an interesting idea, though I don't know if I would try it for fear of triggering myself. Potatoes are like a gateway drug for me. ;)

Oh, and I have seen the same thing about not reheating the spuds.

Widget 09-10-2012 07:01 AM

Studies show that among other things, resistant starch can increase the body’s ability to burn fat, and can improve insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance. If I can lose weight and improve my diabetes by eating potato salad, sounds like a win-win proposition to me.

ravenrose 09-11-2012 09:28 AM

this must be what I encountered by accident a few times when I used to actually eat potatoes... you know when they get sort of hard and not starchy at all and you just want to throw them out? I can't see how they would actually taste right and have good texture if retrograded, but interested in hearing any thoughtful measured experiments!

Widget 09-11-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 15936268)
this must be what I encountered by accident a few times when I used to actually eat potatoes... you know when they get sort of hard and not starchy at all and you just want to throw them out? I can't see how they would actually taste right and have good texture if retrograded, but interested in hearing any thoughtful measured experiments!

You only refrigerate them for 24 hours before eating. I have done that many times with potato salad... left it in the fridge overnight, it tastes better once the flavors have time to blend well. The potatoes were not hard or bad texture at all.

Just got back from the grocery store with new potatoes. I'll do an experiment and will post the results whether good or bad.

Vilya 09-11-2012 12:39 PM

Will you test your BG prior to retrograding, to see the comparison? I'm really interested to see how this turns out!

Widget 09-11-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vilya (Post 15936759)
Will you test your BG prior to retrograding, to see the comparison? I'm really interested to see how this turns out!

I will test just before eating and every hour after that until my bg goes back down to where it started. I'm not going to eat potatoes that have not been retrograded because I know that would shoot my bg through the roof and there's no way I'm going to do that. In this experiment I'm willing to be the guinea pig, but not a stupid one. :D

The potatoes are on the stove cooking.

Vilya 09-11-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Widget (Post 15936869)
In this experiment I'm willing to be the guinea pig, but not a stupid one. :D

Ha ha! Fair enough. :laugh:

Key Tones 09-11-2012 06:43 PM

Interesting...

Widget 09-13-2012 11:01 AM

This is amazing, it works!!! I ate 1/2 cup of poatato salad.

Before eating - 104
1 hour - 107
2 hours - 92

JayLynn 09-13-2012 12:34 PM

Why new potatoes? I'm guessing russets won't work for this.??

Widget 09-13-2012 01:23 PM

It is difficult to find info. on the web about retrograding potatoes. One site will have a little info, another site will talk about something else, you have to put it all together.

On the diabetes forum I mentioned earlier where people have been experimenting with this, the first person used red potatoes, the second person and the rest used new potatoes because they have less starch. I do know they have a lower GI. On one site it says that boiling the potatoes whole kicks the resistant starch factor up several notches.

Vilya 09-13-2012 08:50 PM

Very interesting! I might have to try this with just one potato, because I really think I would have trouble with portion control otherwise...

diwitch 09-16-2012 05:03 PM

I am going to have to try this too...I will let you know the results.

Di

Buffy45 09-20-2012 07:39 PM

Subbing

Widget 09-22-2012 10:10 AM

You may or may not know that because there has been little response to this thread, I started a new thread about retrograding potatoes in an area where I hoped there would be more responses. So far, there are only a few, but a couple of people have said they are going to do their own experiment and post their results. If that happens, and people have more evidence than just my lowly test, I believe there will be quite a few more who would be willing to try it.

Anyway, if you are interested, you can subscribe to the new thread here.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post15962591

Doggygirl 09-22-2012 05:35 PM

I don't know if this was retrograding or not, but I had an interesting experience with 12 ounces of white potatoes (cooked, without skin) yesterday. On a whim, I decided to structure what I thought would be a glucose tolerance test yesterday morning. There is 75g carbs in 12 oz of cooked potato without skin. I had those on hand (DH) so I went with it.

Just last week 3 ounces of sweet potatoes - supposedly lower GI AND eaten with protein and fat spiked me up over 150. So I figured the potatoes alone would take me to the moon.

Nope.

1 hr was 128, and 2 hour was 86. I haven't seen many 86 readings at all since I started testing. I was (and still am) FLABERGASTED by this.

I have been encouraged to do a better version of GTT using grape juice or something. But mean time, I am still :confused: about that potato!

Not sure if my experience was related to this topic or not, but I just thought i would throw it out there.

DG

Widget 09-22-2012 06:24 PM

You didn't say, I am wondering if the spuds were hot or cold when you ate them, or maybe refrigerated overnight and reheated. The starch is retrograded to resistant starch during the cooling process.

Doggygirl 09-23-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Widget (Post 15963776)
You didn't say, I am wondering if the spuds were hot or cold when you ate them, or maybe refrigerated overnight and reheated. The starch is retrograded to resistant starch during the cooling process.

Interesting. They were not hot but not totally cooled either. I nuke several every morning that end up getting fed to one of our dogs at night that only eats fish and potatoes. So they were probably 80% cooled - almost room temperature - when I peeled 12 ounces worth. They were not refrigerated though.

A mystery, as many of these BG experiments seem to be right now.

DG

TQuest 08-15-2013 12:24 PM

Does anyone know of a list with types of resistant starches and how many grams they contain and such? I'm having trouble finding any sort of good information online. Thank you!:love::D

oldtimer 05-05-2014 12:21 PM

TQ,
Retrograding starch is a fairly new concept and is greatly influenced by food prep. You can see posts in this thread where the potatoes were not properly prepared with poor results. I think high starch and high GI produces the most if properly prepared. Poor prep will have none! Red potatoes and Russets would have the most while sweet potatoes and new potatoes have the least. You will have much better success looking for resistant starch of which retrograded starch is part of this group. Beans/lentils have relatively high amounts of resistant starch. Roasted chickpeas have the most resistant starch I have heard of. High resistant starch may be safer to experiment with if you are diabetic. Why? These foods have low GIs and are not affected much by food prep.

I would also look up Satiety Index and GI if you haven’t yet. I am diabetic so I look for low GI and a high SI. I will check out potato salad because it has a great SI and maybe not bad GI. A quote from a web source ...

'The good news for potato lovers is that a potato salad made the day before, tossed with a vinaigrette dressing and kept in the fridge will have a much lower GI than potatoes served steaming hot from the pot. There are a couple of simple reasons for this. The cold storage increases the potatoes' resistant starch content by more than a third and the acid in the vinaigrette whether you make it with lemon juice, lime juice or vinegar will slow stomach emptying.'
Frequently Asked Questions

oldtimer 05-06-2014 11:22 AM

I did some more research on resistant starch in cooled potatoes. I actually found some hard numbers for the resistant/normal starch percentage of resistant to normal starch for cooled overnight potatoes was 7%. Unfortunately, the potato type was not specified If you don’t have insulin to spare, cooled potatoes is probably a poor choice to eat since the 93% of the starch will spike your BS. I suggest small servings if you do. Stick to roasted chickpeas, legumes or green bananas. Even mostly ripe bananas will be a better and safer source of RS than chilled potatoes. The one good thing about potatoes are they tend to keep you less hungry longer per calorie than any other food. Again, the article stating this did not specify what kind of potatoes were used. Potatoes like rice, are not a uniform food. There is a wide range of starch compositions in different varieties of potatoes. New potatoes don't have much starch so they don't retrograde but their calories are stored in large chained sugars that digest slowly. That and the small serving is probably why your BS didn't spike. However, you didn't get any resistant starch! You can't trust what you read on the internet including this post.

Along with food prep, more chewing will decrease the amount of resistant starch in the food you are eating.