LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wenz67
Stats: starting 235 lbs goal 145 lbs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: april 23 2012
Insulin Dependent and Atkins Induction

This is my first time on this forum and so looking forward to some help. I started Atkins 4 days ago, and now I'm am in ketosis (the higher side) is it safe?My blood glucose hasn't quite come down into excellent range. I am running between 8.0 to 10.0 more 8's than 10's I am afraid of going into ketoacidosis. It's working for me because I have lost 5lbs so far and sugars where considerably higher than that before I started. I might add I am also on levemire twice a day. Any knowledge would be appreciated.
wenz67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
are you type one or type two?

I don't know how to interpret the blood sugar readings you use in Canada.

in any case, the ketones from low carb eating don't have anything to do with the ketones in ketoacidosis. read Dr. Bernstein's diabetes books for all the info you need, reassurace, and best practices. he really is great!

good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Your blood sugar will take a while to come back into normal range if you just started. Atkins is wonderful, but it's not a cure-all. You still need to take your meds/insulin and exercise. All those things together will help control your BG.

If you're running at 8's and 10's (that's 144 and 180 in US numbers - multiply by 18), that's high, but not ketoacidosis range. All the stories I've heard of people going into ketoacidosis, they had BG's of 500 or more.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wenz67
Stats: starting 235 lbs goal 145 lbs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: april 23 2012
thanks so much for replying and you were right I just needed to be patient I am now consistently seeing 7's and spoke with my Dr. and she said keep doing what I'm doin. So excited. Weight loss is the second week of induction is very slow.
wenz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Majorlove4god
On Levimer and Atkins & type 2

Hi,
I read your thread and I recently started on Levimer (1 month ago) and found the more i take the crazier my sugar is.. i started at 10 units and was watching carb intake but still waking up with sugars at 180 + (u.s) 10 +(canadian). I raised the dosage and bottomed out and then would swing into a high. This week I started on Adkins phase 1. I went back down to 12 units and sugars were still 150 throughout the day and morning..but steady and I raised it to 15 units... I expected to see weight loss since i am staying under 20 carbs a day but instead I went from 159 to 162 in 3 days. I cant figure out what the deal is. Has the adkins continued working for you while on insulin?
Majorlove4god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
How much protein are you eating? If I eat a lb beef or salmon for diner my morning BG is always high. Rember about 50% of the protein you eat turns into blood sugar and on Atkins it's so easy to overdoo the protein.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
How much protein are you eating? If I eat a lb beef or salmon for diner my morning BG is always high. Rember about 50% of the protein you eat turns into blood sugar and on Atkins it's so easy to overdoo the protein.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
I would disagree with the idea that 50% of the protein you eat turns to glucose. According to Bernstein, *excess* protein can raise glucose levels and excess varies by the person. Bernstein recommends 1-1.5gm of protein per kilo of *ideal* weight...although some people have found they have to go lower or can go higher.

It also matters how much you eat at once. Again, according to Bernstein, overeating (belly distention) will cause raised BG's...even if you just drink massive amounts of water. He recommends no more than 4-5 oz of protein at a meal.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote