LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Low-Carb for Type 1 Diabetics?

Is low-carb safe for Type1 Diabetics? My friend's husband is Type1 and possible Type2 as well... would low-carb be suitable? His nutritionist wants him to eat A LOT of carbs, but he can't seem to get the weight off. It's all in his belly. Thanks.
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Yes you can!!! My DD has type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed last year at age 10. She is not really, really low carb, but she is lower carb than she was before diagnosis. I have to take my beliefs and my DH's belief's and tailor them for our child. She will rebel if we take everything away, so we compromise and she is good She is a child and wants to be seen as "normal" and blend in. For her that means eating things that other kids eat and we compromise in when she can have those things. Through trial and error we have pinpointed certain foods that really raise those blood sugars so we try to avoid those. But when she does have them, we know to give more insulin. She does eat more eggs and cheese than she ever has in her life Fortunately, she loves my casseroles that I have made from the recipe forum. There are some really great cooks and chefs right here at LCFs!!!

Anyhow, a great book to read (or just visit his website) is Dr Richard K. Bernstein's. He wrote the book "Diabetes Solution". I would trust that man with my life, he has lived with diabetes, type 1, and has managed to control his blood sugar with diet and a little bit of insulin. He has experimented on himself at first to see if these things would work and they did The book and website shows how he has helped countless others too!!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Oh, and let me add....the dietician can advise all they want. I have to go (Ok we have to go ) for insurance's sake. I don't follow their advice at all I just nod and say "uh-huh". Then I do my own thing for my DD because after 12+ years of being here at LCFs I think I know a thing or 2 about diabetes myself. She is much better off with lower carbs than that diet they want her to follow. Proof is in the numbers and the doc is amazed at how well we are keeping her blood sugar numbers
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
please read Dr Bernstein's diabetes books. he is type I and makes a great case for how eating low carb helps type I diabetics.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
please read Dr Bernstein's diabetes books. he is type I and makes a great case for how eating low carb helps type I diabetics.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote