LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
How do you feel when you have diabetes?

I have googled but everything I have come across says that commonly no symptoms are felt when blood sugar is high. If you have Diabetes what lead you to get checked and how do you feel when it is high or too low?
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GettingToGoal
Stats: 330/330/170
WOE: Low Carb / JUDDD
Start Date: July 2014
My son was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and his symptoms were exhaustion, extreme thirst and hunger, and he was urinating several times a day. He also lost fifteen pounds in a little under a month, which was one of the first symptoms my husband and I noticed. When his sugar is too low, his hands start trembling, and he breaks out into a cold sweat. (Kind of like non-diabetics who haven't eaten in several hours).

I hope you start feeling better soon. It only takes a few minutes to have your sugar checked, so I encourage you to do so if it's worrying you. Good luck!

Stephanie
GettingToGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artsy897
Stats: 310/225/145
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: 8/2011
Mine was caught in a medical checkup but looking back I was experiencing extreme exhaustion and I was hungry all the time.
I have never been a big sweet eater but I began to crave sweets a lot.

I feel sooooo much better now that I keep my blood sugars under control...it has made a major change in my life. Linda
artsy897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! I have been checked and 1 out of 5 Dr's said I have any problem at all with my sugars (Too much insulin). Fasting is 70-90 and post meal is 120. I am never hungry or thirsty and I do not urinate much but I have times where I am shaking so badly I can barely hold the meter to even test and when I do finally steady myself the number says 90. I have sudden macular degeneration with no family history and I am only 28, burning in my feet and ankles at times, numbness and tingling in my arms and hands but everytime I check my sugars when I am symptomatic they are great
Old 04-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
generally doctors do either a urine or blood check every so often over the years looking for diabetes. they would be more likely to do it if you are overweight, as you age, if there is any history in your family, etc.

the symptom that I SHOULD have recognized was terrible thirst and excess urination at night.

your symptoms could be from a LOT of other things. if your blood sugar is good, look elsewhere than diabetes.

good luck!

Last edited by ravenrose; 04-05-2012 at 12:34 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Coleslaw
WOE: Low carb aim for 50g carbs daily max
Start Date: 2009
I was diagnosed by chance with an obscure symptom, fascitis in the balls of my feet. I didn't have any of the classic diabetes symptoms at all and still don't. However, if I eat or drink something with hidden sugar I can start feeling tired and dizzy to the point of feeling slightly drunk. Not a good feeling !
Coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleslaw View Post
I was diagnosed by chance with an obscure symptom, fascitis in the balls of my feet. I didn't have any of the classic diabetes symptoms at all and still don't. However, if I eat or drink something with hidden sugar I can start feeling tired and dizzy to the point of feeling slightly drunk. Not a good feeling !
I feel drunk at times (slurring words,falling over and very giddy) but once again when I test its normal numbers
Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
MSN08[/B];15562824]I feel drunk at times (slurring words,falling over and very giddy) but once again when I test its normal numbers
I get the feelings you mention when my BG is low. According to my hero, Dr. Richard K Bernstein (he is a type 1 diabetic) the normal range is 90 to 120. You test in the normal range always?

You could do this: WARNING: It's not the healthiest thing do.

Test fasting. Eat a couple of donuts or a piece cake (frosting too) and a full sugar soda (or a glass of juice). Test after 20 minutes, test every 20 minutes a few more times. If your sugar jumps up at first and then plunges rapidly you may be pre-diabetic.

It is better to avoid sugar but I'm thinking maybe you get too low at times. Your fasting could be due to the Sunrise Syndrome.

The Bernstein thread on this site is linked in my signature.

~dew

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nurse Juno
Stats: 230/215/140
WOE: No plan-just minimal carbs!
Start Date: Thursday 4/12/12
I'm a nurse, I felt like I did when I was pregnant and since I had insulin dependent gestational diabetes, I knew what it meant, so I checked my sugars and boom. So I was very proactive in monitoring, of course doc threw me right on meds, but since low carbing she has discontinued for now so that I don't have lows. I'm spot on right now. symptoms were fatigue, thirst, "fogginess", and all of these mostly right after I ate....everytime. Like 2 hour naps on weekends right after breakfast. I haven't had a weekend nap since I have low carbed. lol.
Nurse Juno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I keep getting these feelings DURING meals it happens 10-15 minutes into a meal. I had to use my DH as a crutch on a recent dinner out because I was stumbling when I tried to walk, my hands and legs became so "heavy" feeling I couldn't hold my glass to drink or my fork to eat. I had a grilled chicken cobb salad with a regular coke to drink. I am seeing an Endocrine Dr. Thursday to investigate an insulin producing tumor because I just cannot keep my sugars up and it is getting worse every day. Thank you for all of the replies.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop_mealine View Post
I get the feelings you mention when my BG is low. According to my hero, Dr. Richard K Bernstein (he is a type 1 diabetic) the normal range is 90 to 120. You test in the normal range always?

You could do this: WARNING: It's not the healthiest thing do.

Test fasting. Eat a couple of donuts or a piece cake (frosting too) and a full sugar soda (or a glass of juice). Test after 20 minutes, test every 20 minutes a few more times. If your sugar jumps up at first and then plunges rapidly you may be pre-diabetic.

It is better to avoid sugar but I'm thinking maybe you get too low at times. Your fasting could be due to the Sunrise Syndrome.

The Bernstein thread on this site is linked in my signature.

~dew
I had one high reading of 215 but I did not wash my hands before that so I retested again after washing them and it was 90. The 2 hour glucose test showed insulin releasing 4x more than needed to get the job done and that put my glucose at 40.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Merski
Stats: 164/152/135
WOE: Dr. Bernstein
Start Date: 07/2009
I sure hope your office visit with the endo gave you some ideas of what's going on with your body. Sure doesn't sound like diabetes with the numbers you get from your monitor.
Merski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Best wishes to you that everything is ok! Please keep us posted!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #14

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
just as an aside, I have had HORRIBLY high blood sugars a few times over the last 20 years, and it felt just fine. I am talking 350 or so. I think most of the time high blood sugar is pretty symptomless. and most of the time I thought from my feelings it was LOW, it was fine too.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
when i am following plan...i feel pretty good.

when i say following plan, i mean of course, taking my meds and vitamins, doing what exercise i can, and eating low carb. when i deviate, i become very sluggish, and all the old symptoms return. So, we must STAY ON PLAN!!! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Is there a ''normal '' blood glucose # . You know #for to high or to low ? please reply.Thanks
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Try testing several times a day - first thing in the morning, before a meal, 2 hours after a meal, before bed. You may find that your glucose levels are swinging and that's what is causing your symptoms. I never had 'symptoms' even when my levels were over 400...but when I was swinging up and/or down, I'd get shaky, sweaty, dizzy, nauseous, etc.

My sister always ran in the 'normal' range but when she started testing several times a day, she found that they were constantly swinging up and down and that was the cause of her symptoms. This is an indication of a metabolic disorder and is hard on the pancreas...which means eventually you'll be diagnosed type 2 when it can no longer handle these swings (assuming that's what's going on).

A low carb, no caffeine diet should help with this.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I hope everything is ok MSN08!!!!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiggingDogFarm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
just as an aside, I have had HORRIBLY high blood sugars a few times over the last 20 years, and it felt just fine. I am talking 350 or so. I think most of the time high blood sugar is pretty symptomless. and most of the time I thought from my feelings it was LOW, it was fine too.

Mine was in that range about the time i was diagnosed.
The only symptoms I had were fogginess and blurred vision.
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Dizziness and headaches, before I knew what was wrong.
Sleepiness after meals.
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Update: since removing gluten I no longer feel like this even if I eat sugary foods, recently I ate some gluten and by the end of the meal I was unable to hold my glass and I felt very "drunk" so now I know why I was feeling like that. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Yay! So glad you found what the problem was!!!

(Sorry your symptoms were so scary, though...none of my friends who are allergic to gluten have ever described anything so sudden and severe! )
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaarren
Stats: 204/191/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8-22-08
Wow!

Gluten....

I find since I had my prolonged binge that wheat seems to effect me.

Good luck to you!
Kaarren is offline   Reply With Quote