Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronpozoromo
metformin carb craving

Hi my name is ronpozoromo and I'm a carboholic. I've been doing low carb off & on for about 15 years-I simply can't stay on it longer than 2-3 months. I'm a 57 yr old male, 6' 2"-300 lbs, and my AIC runs 5.9-6.3 in the last four years. I asked my MD to prescribe Metformin and I've been on it for only a week(2x 500 mg daily) . Wow, my carb cravings are much improved. Some GI distress but I can easily handle it. For some time after dinner I simply cannot get satisfied if I don't either overeat or eat simple carbs. I know it doesn't work for everyone but so far it is freeing me from my addiction. I certainly hope it stays this way. I may finally be able to stay on low carb for a while.
Ronpozoromo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artsy897
Stats: 310/225/145
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: 8/2011
Hi Ronpozoromo...I am sorta new here also.
I just found out last August that I have Diabetes and was put on Metformin and it has been a miracle medicine for me.

I had not been able to lose weight my whole life long and since being on Metformin and living a low carb way of eating...I have lost 65 pounds and I am still going down...

The Metformin cuts my appetite so much that I can have the self control I need to make good food choices. I think if I could have been put on this years ago...I would not have had the weight battles I did.
I did also have the GI distress...but finally being able to lose weight was well worth it to me and those complaints have diminished greatly. It took about 5 months though. My AIC is 5.0 and I take 850mg of Metformin daily.

Welcome to this great forum...Linda
artsy897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Welcome!

You might try asking for the Extended Release version of Met. I've seen it listed as both Metformin ER and XR. This formulation usually does not cause the gastric upset that the regular Met does. Just something to think about.

I agree, Met has been a godsend for me. I do not have carb cravings anymore, which I attribute to the LC way of eating, plus the Met. I'm on the same dose as you, 1000 mg. daily. My A1C went from 12.2 in Sept. to my latest reading of 5.5!
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: 200's/1st. Goal Wt: 199 lbs.
WOE: Low Carb My Way!
Start Date: Monday! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Welcome!

You might try asking for the Extended Release version of Met. I've seen it listed as both Metformin ER and XR. This formulation usually does not cause the gastric upset that the regular Met does. Just something to think about.

I agree, Met has been a godsend for me. I do not have carb cravings anymore, which I attribute to the LC way of eating, plus the Met. I'm on the same dose as you, 1000 mg. daily. My A1C went from 12.2 in Sept. to my latest reading of 5.5!
Wow, such an improvement Vilya! So happy for you!
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Coleslaw
WOE: Low carb aim for 50g carbs daily max
Start Date: 2009
Metformin is the first diabetes medication doctors reach for in the UK. It's been around since 1958 here but only 1972 in Canada and 1995 in USA as I understand it.

Metformin is heart protective, it won't cause hypos and it suppresses appetite.

The not so good news is that it can have a not so great effect on the rear end. Suggest you ask for Glucophage XR or Metformin extended release as that seems not to be quite as bad. Also, think about supplementing with B vitamins because it can affect them in some people.
Coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Annie75
WOE: Low carb
I keep reading about all the gastric distress caused by Metformin, but blessedly, I had/have none of it! In the TMI department, I eat alot of flax and often don't drink all my water, so its just the opposite for me!
Went on Met in November, by Feb. my A1C was down from 11.5 to 5.2! And down 25 pounds. LOVE this stuff AND this WOE!
Annie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Does your doctor have you testing your blood sugar at home? My doctor just prescribed it for me, but didn't mention anything about testing my own blood sugar. I didn't think to even talk about that with her until my friend brought it up. I'm supposed to go back and get tests in a few months, but now I'm curious about the daily testing. It takes forever to get a phone call back from them, so I thought I'd ask here.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronpozoromo
My doc doesn't have me testing at home. I got a meter 4-5 years ago to test fasting and after I eat. My fasting has increased from approx 110 to 120 in this time. I walk 40 minutes every day & try to eat healthy-I've been prediabetic for a long time-I feel like I'm fighting diabetes & losing. I actually requested to be put on Met because I refuse to go on statins(which my doc loves) and surfing the web I've read that Met helps with cravings. I had severe muscle pain with statins and took myself off them about 7 yrs ago. My last cholesterol reading was 220 total-triglicerides 214. The thing I don't understand is why Dr.s don't prescribe Met for people like me who clearly are insulin resistant! I'm overweight, high sugar, blood pressure, triglycerides, sleep apnea, etc. The 1st thing they prescribe is a statin, which is a poison for a lot of people. I feel if I could lose 50-70 lbs I would be pretty healthy-but I just can't control the hunger & cravings. I wonder if it's because Metformin is an old cheap drug that big Pharma can't get rich from. I haven't been on a scale yet but my clothes are fitting better already
Ronpozoromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Well I no longer have any triglyceride/cholesterol issues. However, this doctor didn't even know that in the past I did, because it is a new doctor. I did manage to get that under control eating low carb and lost quite a bit of weight.

I thought there might be a diabetic issue from various different things, and then with the first two blood tests she did at which point I was eating pretty good I was pretty sure. The follow-up blood tests definitely confirmed it.

I'm at the point in weight loss that I was once at before. I didn't manage to maintain that for long before, but this time has been different. However, I would really like to lose another 25 lbs. Honestly I'm not sure if just so many outside things got to me and I haven't been able to lose more, or that it is the diabetes. She did mention this helps some people with weight loss.

I had been on a chocolate blow out the last few weeks and having a really hard time getting it under control - really really hard. I'm not sure if it is because of the official diagnosis or the metformin, but those out of control cravings are gone. I hope it is the medicine and hope it does help me get down some more.

I think I'll get a testing kit for my own curiousity. I know there is some info on here on what to buy and what to do, so I'll look for that.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote