Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: allbuttnogutguy
Stats: 212/207/190
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: September 21, 2008
Why do you need a prescription for test strips?

I was wondering why I have to have a prescription to get test strips for blood sugar?

I have a meter but ran out of strips. My dr wants me in every 4-6 months although all readings were normal range last time. I feel an annual physical should be good enough but he'll only prescribe a limited amount of strips and won't renew unless he sees me.

I like to closely track my sugar or I feel out of control even when eating right.

Last edited by allbuttnogutguy; 03-10-2012 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Clarity
allbuttnogutguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
They are for sale at Amazon, which, to me, means that anyone can buy them. Perhaps I'm missing something?
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
No you don't have to have a prescription BUT if you have one you can likely get them cheaper or covered by your insurance.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
You don't need a prescription. My insurance does cover part of the cost of test strips, but not anywhere near the amount that I need. I buy my strips from an eBay seller, for a fraction of what I would pay at the drugstore, even with insurance. I don't use my insurance for strips at all, I just pay out of pocket.

The cheapest meter/strips is the Walmart ReliOn brand. The Confirm model meter is only $9, and a box of 100 strips is around $36. I have one of these meters as the backup to my OneTouch meter. And don't let that low cost fool you; the Confirm is a very good meter.

Like you, I want to be able to test as often as I feel like, and my insurance just doesn't cover my needs!
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I get my DD's strips for cheap with my insurance. She has type 1 diabetes and tests often (she is 10 years old and in school tests constantly) so we get 200 at a time and we pay $5 for the 200. I don't understand why we pay so little with our insurance but when you buy your own meter and have to pay for the strips yourself they are outrageous. Just let your doc know you want to test a few foods out and need more strips to see what raises your blood sugar more than others. If he won't prescribe more, find a new doctor. Or perhaps your pharmacy can call and see if they will renew. That is not right. I hate doctor's sometimes.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: allbuttnogutguy
Stats: 212/207/190
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: September 21, 2008
Thank you all. I'll check these options out.
I'll bet I was told no because of insurance. They probably said they wouldn't pay w/o a prescription so the Costco Pharmacy said no without even asking if I'd pay the whole cost. I had a pharmacy refuse to fill a prescription a week early because the insurance said no. My daughter was leaving the country for a month and she needed the pills early. I actually argued with pharmacist about her needing them with or without insurance. We quit going there.
allbuttnogutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #7

Yeah, all butt. I hate insurance as much as I dislike doctors. We tried getting DD's insulin before we ran out and the insurance said "NO". DH didn't want to run out, but we had to wait. What the pharmacist told us was to have the doctor call in a prescription for a larger amount. Our endocrinologist did, she is great like that, so all was good!! But still, we may have run out.......very frustrating indeed. The pharmacist's hands are tied, so you have to talk with your doctor to write the prescription correctly.

Last edited by dawnyama; 03-11-2012 at 09:25 AM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Be very sure if you're buying the strips from ebay, to check the expiration date before you bid. Sometimes the expiration date is fairly close so be careful there.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mamma D
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March, 2003
If you have insurance and want to use it and want test strips you have to have a prescription. You can go out and buy test strips, but you will pay dearly for them. OneTouch Ultra is about $110 for a 100 count box. As for filling a prescription early most insurance companies don't want you to have them filled more than 3 days before you need them. I think this had to do with prescription abuse, hard to know with insurance companies.
Mamma D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Be very sure if you're buying the strips from ebay, to check the expiration date before you bid. Sometimes the expiration date is fairly close so be careful there.
A valid point, I frankly test new batches of strips with the current one upon purchasing to see any significant variance with results.

Have found "expired" strips still quite accurate in this comparison at times. Proper torage is important for longevity, specifically regarding temperature.
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlowMovingWoman
WOE: Lower carbs, smarter carbs & watch how much I eat
Start Date: Have lost 19 pounds from my highest weight
You can buy test strips on many sites on the internet. I have even bought them off ebay
but you must be careful who you buy from has a good record. I also think you need the
doctors perscrip for your insurance to pay, otherwise you can buy them without a
perscrip. SMW
SlowMovingWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Merski
Stats: 164/152/135
WOE: Dr. Bernstein
Start Date: 07/2009
with my accu check meter it doesn't seem to let me use expired strips. Has any one else with an accu check meter found that to be true?
Merski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merski View Post
with my accu check meter it doesn't seem to let me use expired strips. Has any one else with an accu check meter found that to be true?
We have the accu-chek aviva meter and tried to use the expired strips. No go for us too
Old 03-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Merski
Stats: 164/152/135
WOE: Dr. Bernstein
Start Date: 07/2009
dawnyama.... that sort of sucks doesn't it. My insurance changed this year and the out of pocket is much more expensive than my last insurance provider. Maybe I'll have to stop testing as much.
Merski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #15

Yeah, it does suck. We were given a bunch of strips by DD's endo that were expired. I was thinking they would work because the nurse who gave them to us has type 1 diabetes. But she uses a different meter, so she didn't know we could no longer use the expired strips. Neither did we til we tried to. I guess the company doesn't want us to save a few dollars either.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
We have the accu-chek aviva meter and tried to use the expired strips. No go for us too
That's interesting because if your code key is current and not expired, the strips are independent of regulation?

When you turn on the meter, key number is displayed, and match that to the container to see the expiration date parameters.
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
On those meters that give you an error message for expired strips, you can back-date the meter so that the strips are still "good." That's per other people I know who have those meters; I haven't actually tried it myself.

Before using any expired stips, I would definitely test them with control solution first.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Coleslaw
WOE: Low carb aim for 50g carbs daily max
Start Date: 2009
I had to buy my own meter 5.00 GBP but if I'd sent the form in could have got the VAT (sales tax) of 20% off. I get strips on prescription when I want them but my doctor says I don't need to test every day. Generally I do know if feeling unwell or my BG has been spiked by a food. I can't eat blueberries or parsnips at all, for example. People with diabetes taking drugs can apply for an NHS prescription exemption card (renewable every 5 yrs) and that means all prescribed drugs are then free. Normally people have to pay 7.28 GBP I think (seven pounds something I remember) per prescription (which could be a long list). Prescriptions are free in Wales and Scotland and free everywhere for under 18s and over 60s. It is cheaper for people to buy aspirin, paracetamol, loperamide etc themselves in supermarket. Not everyone with diabetes takes drugs so if they have meters and strips self-funded most people go to Amazon

Last edited by Coleslaw; 04-08-2012 at 05:57 AM..
Coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Accu check and expiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Merski[/B];15528800]with my accu check meter it doesn't seem to let me use expired strips. Has any one else with an accu check meter found that to be true?
@Merski I wasn't sure. I put a 6/31/11 strip in. My took it. I didn't check my BG cause it's not time to prick my finger.

Join us on the Bernstein thread. The link is in my signature below.
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbuttnogutguy View Post
I was wondering why I have to have a prescription to get test strips for blood sugar?

I have a meter but ran out of strips. My dr wants me in every 4-6 months although all readings were normal range last time. I feel an annual physical should be good enough but he'll only prescribe a limited amount of strips and won't renew unless he sees me.

I like to closely track my sugar or I feel out of control even when eating right.
You don't. I bought my first meter and strips at Walmart and that's where I continue to get them.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shmabby
My .02 re strips

I use free style. While it is not the preferred brand of my insurer they (free style) have their own program in which if you are a member (and it's free to join) show their card w/your insurance and you will probably pay nore more than a copay of $15 for 100 strips.

If I couldn't do this then I'd use the insurer's brand for a $15 copay and if I couldn't do this and had to pay out of pocket I'd go for the "generic" least expensive strips and purchase a meter since the ongoing cost is w/the strips NOT the meter.

I'm "lucky" in that my pharmacist does free metformin (which I'm on now - boo hoo) so $15 covers my strips and my meds for the month which I think is pretty good.
shmabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wifeofseth
Stats: 270/270/140
WOE: LC during pregnancy
Start Date: March 2012
I use the cheapest meter available. It's called the "true2go" or "test2go". Every drug store has their own store brand of it, and they sell for $8-9. It snaps onto the top of the strips case. Anyway, they also charge something like $70 for 100 strips. I buy mine on Amazon for $32 per 100ct box.

CVS right now has theirs online for $6 for the meter, and $31 for the 100ct boxes of strips. I'm planning on stocking up for the next few months. Likely, one of the other stores will have a sale- and as long as you go with a "truetest" "true2go" "test2go" product line, they're all interchangeable across the brands. It's the same provider, just different store logos.

Last edited by wifeofseth; 05-11-2012 at 05:51 AM..
wifeofseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #23

Gallery: ChristiansMom
Stats: :( :| :)
WOE: HFLC
I have bought them at Rite-Aid, they are behind the counter so you have to ask the pharmacy for them but they do sell them without a prescription. They are WAY more expensive without the insurance though.
ChristiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ptremb
WOE: ATKINS
i pay 10 bucks copay with my insurance for 100 one touch.
ptremb is offline   Reply With Quote