Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tarheel944
WOE: Started on Atkins, but now stick to Low Carb foods
Start Date: around January 2004
Apple cider vinegar/ACV for diabetes

Does apple cider vinegar/ACV tablets REALLY work in lowering blood sugar levels? YES. NO?
tarheel944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
well I have no ideal about the tablets, But for me yes it works for the dawn phenomenon But that is just my experience with it
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I read the information on earlier thread and would like to get additional info from those who have tried it. It appears that you have had a very good experience. I tried the regular kitchen acv but it effected my stomach....ouch! I am frustrated with the ups and downs of sugar levels although I am faithful with meds and low carb foods.

Last edited by tarheel944; 01-18-2012 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Can't spell using iPad....
Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Merski
Stats: 164/152/135
WOE: Dr. Bernstein
Start Date: 07/2009
It didn't work for me but I only tried it for a week. I am thinking of now going back to it again but try it for a month to see what it will do.

Everyone is so different you just have to try it for yourself.
Merski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Notorious Veteran who doesn't know when to stop!

Location: Where I wish I could see my reflection in the snow covered hills...
Gallery: Stormyskies
Stats: Too embarrassed to tell ya!
WOE: Mostly Atkins, but not as strick as I should be!!!
Start Date: Over and over and over and over...
ACV has helped me to lose weight, as well as give me energy, and has helped to lower my numbers. It's also supposed to help lower blood pressure. I take it twice a day, 1/8th of a cup, roughly 2 tablespoons, with a splash of cranberry juice. I take it before breakfast in the morning and around 7 pm in the evening. I drink it thru a straw and it's usually gone in 4 gulps. Then I chase it down with water. Do I enjoy this? NO! It makes me shudder every time, but I do it because I believe in the health benefits of it. If I hadn't seen results for myself, I would have stopped long ago, but because I have seen an improvement in my bs numbers, I will continue on with it.

<><The Christian Gang><>
On the Playground Every Day!
Missing Kathy

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness but of power. They are messengers of overwhelming grief and of unspeakable love." - Washington Irving
Stormyskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Well, I broke down and order the ACV tablets. They came very quickly and started taking them right away. I take 2 at each meal per instructions on the bottle. I just could not drink the vinegar straight but I suppose I would have if I did not have an option for the tablets. I have been taking them for about 3 days now so it is really too early to tell a big difference. You know it is the real stuff because when you open the bottle the vinegar odor escapes.....! Let me know how you progress. I figure it can't hurt only help.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jillzd
Stats: 165/165/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2012
Does it have to be apple cider vinegar to get the benefits? Can it be white vinegar instead? I'm allergic to apples so I can't use the ACV but would like to give this a shot.
Jillzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Jill I have only heard of doing it with the ACV, You could try.
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
I've done the Bragg's ACV in the past, but I never did it more than three days in @ row.

There's so many health benefits to ACV, I really need to focus on doing this, as I am Type 2 with high blood pressure. This WOE I've adjusted to gradually, adding benefits in slowly.

In the past, I mixed my ACV w/Peach Mango Crystal Light in a tall shot glass, and it was so much easier to down for me, than when I mixed it w/water.

I'm going to give ACV another go today
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steve Parker
Stats: 173/168/160
WOE: Low-Carb Mediterranean Diet
Start Date: September 1, 2009
It really works.

Vinegar reduces blood sugar elevations after meals containing complex carbohydrates, according to the Department of Nutrition at Arizona State University.

Meals containing carbohydrates (and to a lesser extent, proteins) raise blood sugar after meals in people with or without diabetes. Previous studies established that a single vinegar dose around mealtime lowers postprandial (after meal) blood sugar levels by up to 50%. Arizona investigators wanted to know the best dose and timing for reducing postprandial blood sugar elevations.

They ran multiple tests on about 40 adults who reported they were generally healthy except nine had type 2 diabetes (not taking insulin).

Findings

Mealtime vinegar ingestion reduced postprandial (two hours after meal) blood sugars by about 20% compared to placebo. The test meal was white bagel (variable amounts), 20 g of butter, and 200 g of juice.

The most effective dose of vinegar was 10 g (about two teaspoons or 10 ml) of 5% acetic acid vinegar (either Heinz apple cider vinegar or Star Fine Foods raspberry vinegar). This equates to two tablespoons of vinaigrette dressing (two parts oil/1 part vinegar) as might be used on a salad. The authors also say that “…two teaspoons of vinegar could be consumed palatably in hot tea with lemon at mealtime.”

Discussion

The study authors suggest that the blood-sugar-lowering effect of vinegar may be related to inhibition of digestive enzymes or to a slower rate of empyting by the stomach. Remember that most of digestion and absorption of nutrients occurs in the small intestine; the stomach first has to empty food into the small intestine. Vinegar seems to inhibit digestion of starch but not of simple (monosaccharide) sugars.

They also note another study that found vinegar slowed the rate of stomach emptying by almost 40% in type 1 diabetics with gastoparesis, potentially raising the risk of low blood sugar.

-Steve

Reference: Johnston, Carol, et al. Examination of the antiglycemic properties of vinegar in healthy adults. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, 56 (2010): 74-79.
Disclaimer: All matters regarding your health require supervision by a personal physician or other appropriate health professional familiar with your current health status. Always consult your personal physician before making any dietary, nutritional supplement, or exercise changes.
Steve Parker is offline   Reply With Quote