Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tarheel944
WOE: Started on Atkins, but now stick to Low Carb foods
Start Date: around January 2004
Apple cider vinegar for diabetes

Does apple cider vinegar REALLY work to aid with lowering blood sugar. Yes and no's???
tarheel944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steve Parker
Stats: 173/168/160
WOE: Low-Carb Mediterranean Diet
Start Date: September 1, 2009
This comes up a lot here.

Vinegar reduces blood sugar elevations after meals containing complex carbohydrates, according to the Department of Nutrition at Arizona State University.

Meals containing carbohydrates (and to a lesser extent, proteins) raise blood sugar after meals in people with or without diabetes. Previous studies established that a single vinegar dose around mealtime lowers postprandial (after meal) blood sugar levels by up to 50%. Arizona investigators wanted to know the best dose and timing for reducing postprandial blood sugar elevations.

They ran multiple tests on about 40 adults who reported they were generally healthy except nine had type 2 diabetes (not taking insulin).

Findings

Mealtime vinegar ingestion reduced postprandial (two hours after meal) blood sugars by about 20% compared to placebo. The test meal was white bagel (variable amounts), 20 g of butter, and 200 g of juice.

The most effective dose of vinegar was 10 g (about two teaspoons or 10 ml) of 5% acetic acid vinegar (either Heinz apple cider vinegar or Star Fine Foods raspberry vinegar). This equates to two tablespoons of vinaigrette dressing (two parts oil/1 part vinegar) as might be used on a salad. The authors also say that “…two teaspoons of vinegar could be consumed palatably in hot tea with lemon at mealtime.”

Discussion

The study authors suggest that the blood-sugar-lowering effect of vinegar may be related to inhibition of digestive enzymes or to a slower rate of empyting by the stomach. Remember that most of digestion and absorption of nutrients occurs in the small intestine; the stomach first has to empty food into the small intestine. Vinegar seems to inhibit digestion of starch but not of simple (monosaccharide) sugars.

They also note another study that found vinegar slowed the rate of stomach emptying by almost 40% in type 1 diabetics with gastoparesis, potentially raising the risk of low blood sugar.

Take-Home Points

The development of cardiovascular disease, like heart attacks and strokes, seems to be tied especially to elevations of blood sugar after meals as compared to before-meal or fasting sugar levels. This may be related to formation of free radicals and inflammatory mediators. So reduction of postprandial blood sugar elevations by vinegar may be particularly helpful in preventing heart disease. It will be many years before we can prove this by a clinical study, if ever.

-Steve

Reference: Johnston, Carol, et al. Examination of the antiglycemic properties of vinegar in healthy adults. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, 56 (2010): 74-79.
Disclaimer: All matters regarding your health require supervision by a personal physician or other appropriate health professional familiar with your current health status. Always consult your personal physician before making any dietary, nutritional supplement, or exercise changes.
Steve Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
Thank you Steve.

Di
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artsy897
Stats: 310/225/145
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: 8/2011
I just started using apple cider vinegar 3 days ago. My bg is usually between 110 and 120 in the morning. Well this morning it was 108...so we will see.
artsy897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Well yesterday my sugar was 108 and this morning it is 98...haven't seen it this low in quite awhile so I am happy and will continue with the Apple Cider Vinagar.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Zed
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zed
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsy897 View Post
Well yesterday my sugar was 108 and this morning it is 98...haven't seen it this low in quite awhile so I am happy and will continue with the Apple Cider Vinagar.

How much vinegar are you tacking artsy897 and at what times?
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Daydreamer
Stats: 270/213.8/160
WOE: low/mod carbs < 100 grams daily from vegis/dairy
Start Date: ~every day~every bite~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
How much vinegar are you tacking artsy897 and at what times?
Ditto?
Daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sylverpenny
WOE: Modify LC
I've known about AC vinegar for awhile but never really put it to the test until last week. For dinner I fixed a pork chop, spinach and a cup of instant mashed potatoes. I sprinkled about a teaspoon and a half of vinegar on my spinach. The next morning my BS was 118 down from 125 the day before. So I do feel like it worked and will keep doing it.

Penny
sylverpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Sorry...I didn't see this sooner.
I am taking 2 Tbls. in the moring before breakfast and 2 Tbls. at night before bed.
I am wondering though after reading what Steve was saying if I should be taking it with meals.
I am not having high readings after meals...though...I was mainly concerned with the morning readings.
My readings are still mostly a bit over 100, but am hoping they will keep going down. At least they are not 120.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
Zed
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zed
Tried it last night two Tbls with water, i been 6.0 the past week in the mornings this morning 5.7
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
some say we should use the one with the mother. Do you think we need to? I understand it is the regular apple cider
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Hi Babsy...I use Bragg's raw-unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar because I just happened to see it at my Kroger Store.
I have read that it needs to be "with the mother".
But I noticed that Steve mentions in his post that it can be Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar or Star Fine Foods Raspberry vinegar.
I also can be very chatty...and my bg this morning is 98...Yeah under 100!