Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shmabby
At what A1C do they start putting people on meds now?

I realize it's an individual thing.

My history,
after being diagnosed and doing insulin during pregnancy, I went to meds and then via diet (lc of course) and exercise got to the point where I didn't need meds.

Fast forward 6 years.

I've stopped lcing and now my numbers are HIGH. I need to see Dr. and I'd rather just do lc/exercise again but am freaking that they'll want to immediately put me back on meds.

1. I don't want meds
2. gloucophage killed my tummy
3. I don't want meds

My A1C is 8.3 and my waking up sugars have been in the 186-202 range.
shmabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ennuibot
Stats: 5'10": 265/215/whatever
WOE: < 50g
Start Date: 1/1/11
Here's the American Diabetes Association guidelines on A1C as a diagnostic tool.

I can tell you that I tested at 7.9 in February, and was put on 500mg of metformin -- but I also do not have a prior history of blood glucose monitoring and LC/exercise, and therefore I have no idea how much of a factor that would have been.

Changing formulation (to the extended release version) and when/how I took my meds helped a lot with side effects. Don't know if you've already tried any of that, just throwing it out there in case it's helpful.
ennuibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

thanks for the response.

I am sooooo not looking forward to the dr. visit on Thursday.

I suffer horribly from side effects from gloucophage.
I'm going to see if dr. will let me do w/o the meds if I closely monitor myself.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chelveston
Stats: Health at every size
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart Jan '09
Whatever you do, do something!!

Lots of damage is being done any time your glucose is over 140 (some even say 100). Diabetic neuropathy hurts and your brain suffers neuropathy, too, only they call it dementia.

An A1C of 8.3 means that your 24/7 average glucose is 218.

Hb-A1c to Average Blood Glucose Conversion Table, in mg/dl and mmol/l
Chelveston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

well
I saw dr. yesterday.
He agreed to let me try to lower the nos w/o meds.
Next week I go back and do fasting blood work then in another 2 I meet with new dr to review my numbers.

Dr. wants me to consume no more than 1,000 calories/day.

1. Ain't gonna happen
2. if it COULD happen I could NEVER sustain that long term.

Since last week I've managed to reduce my morning numbers from a high of 202 to today's "low" of 145.

Dr. would like to see me with morning numbers of no more than 110.

While I think I can get there w/o meds, I'm not sure if I'll be able to sustain this long term.

Sheesh I'm back to monthly a1cs and testing 3 x/day
stupid weight stupid carbs stupid me

I HATE this!!
Old 11-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ldudish
Stats: 246/218/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/1/11
So how are you doing Shmabby? I am concerned about you please check in and tell us where you are with your glucose levels. I would be concerned about permanent organ damage with those numbers, you might consider doing something temporarily to get them down quickly. My morning numbers are always high, 125-150, no matter what I do but my endo doesn't seem to be concerned since my normal levels are 105-115 the rest of the day.

Stay safe, please!
ldudish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

thanks

I've been testing myself 3x daily now.
Stupid dr. office. I went there for the first time 2 weeks ago. saw a "temp" dr.. The following week I did blood work. They took so many vials I "assumed" they were testing for everything. By the way they knew I have diabetes and I gave them my home a1c of 8.3.

So yesterday as I'm pulling out of the parking lot from work the dr. office calls "at your convenience we'd like to test you for a1c". They never included that in the tests!!

Sorry I'm not going in for another $40 copay. So now when I see the new dr. this Thurs who for the 3rd $40 copay (so far we are at $120) was supposed to review my bloodwork w/me won't be able to because that's when I'm doing my a1c!!!

I'm sure if I made a stink they'd probably let me do the a1c w/o another $40 copay but I'm not going to take more time off from work for this. Hmmm now that I think about maybe I'll see if they could see me early next week (of course if they don't get the results back by Thurs...) I guess I can reschedule dr.

This is why I hate dealing with dr. offices.

I'm back to lc which clearly if I hadn't left, I wouldn't be in this situation now.

Have a happy thanksgiving
Old 11-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
Shmabby, have you checked out Dr. Bernstein's website? His book, "Diabetes Solution" and the forums on that website are golden. My husband and I follow his protocol and have excellent blood sugar control without meds.

as far as the Glucophage, did you try taking it with food, or have you tried the extended release formula? Many people have better luck with that.

I have to think if you were only on 500 mg of glucophage and your blood sugar numbers were considerably better, it had to have been mostly from the diet. A therapuetic dose of glucophage is supposed to be 1500 mg.

Anyway, I think you might find Dr. Bernstein very helpful. Good luck to you.
Dr. William Castelli, a director of the Framingham Heart Study, (the longest running heart disease study), declared: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active"
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks
Yes, I read his book and no, I don't intend to follow his plan. Just like when the dr. suggested I should consume more than 1,000 calories a day for the rest of my life while also stating I'd be miserable, if I followed Dr. B's plan I'd go nuts. I need something I can work with for forever not something that I can do for a week and then run in the opposite direction.

I also do not want to be on glucophage unless I absolutely have to. The dr. I saw 2 weeks ago said I could give myself 3 mos w/o meds and see if I can get the numbers low enough to stay med free.

I managed to do this when I started low carb back in 2001 I just need to stay the course.

I'll probably have the office do a lab a1c sometime next week when means I'll have to postpone my previously scheduled dr. appt this thurs since if there's no a1c no. it's kind of stupid.

My numbers have been steadily decreasing. Just need to stick with lc.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Dr. Update

Met the new dr. today and while her pref would be to put me on drugs immediately she's willing to let me do my thing for 2 mos and then do a slew of tests.

My "D" is low so now I'm on vitamin D
She wants me taking 2 aspirin daily instead of 1
I'm borderline anemic which is nuts so she said maybe it's because I'm such a frequent blood donor, she's going to check that out again

My bad cholesterol LDL is higher than it should be (cause of diabetes she'd like it to be lower than "normal" for non-diabetic.

If I can get a1c down to 7.3 between today and early feb then Dr. said I'm fine to not worry about meds w/understanding I need to continue to drop the numbers (and of course the lbs). I dropped a bit maybe 5 lbs in past 3 weeks. When Dr. asked me what I was doing I said limiting carbs and she was fine with that.

So I just need to focus focus focus and hope/pray I can do this w/o the meds.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlowMovingWoman
WOE: Lower carbs, smarter carbs & watch how much I eat
Start Date: Have lost 17 pounds from my highest weight
Shamabby, I would like to suggest "Sugar Busters" diet. It allows for 3 servings of
whole food starches a day. It is similar to the second part of "South Beach diet" You
can also skip starches completley if you want or need to. I just tested and got a 105
and a 102 reading. OK, not under the magic 100 reading but so much better than it
was. I think when I take more weight off it will even get better. I try to walk 30 mins
a day. With this diet it is no sugar, no form, no way. Sweets are a real trigger for me
so this is a good thing. Same with potatos and corn though once in a while I let myself
eat a bit of those but hold the line on sugar. Good Luck!!! SMW PS of course even with
legal foods you must strickly watch portion size.
SlowMovingWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks

What i'm doing now is:
no starches (no peas, corn, pasta, rice bread, potatoes etc)
no candies etc (i did a number on this a month ago - bad bad bad)
no legumes

I'm paying attention to carbs but I'm not counting carbs from veggies no am I doing any portion control on veggies/salads.

My healthy weakness - yougurt, cottage and ricotta cheese. I'm cutting out ricotta and cottage but I'm not giving up yougurt. I'm doing whole fat greek plain but limiting portion to no more than 2/3 to one cup.

I also excercise regularly.

If the above cannot help me to get my a1c to 7.3 by Feb then I will resign myself to the meds.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
I say zone diet
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:14 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chipper15173
Stats: 286/236/145
Good Morning....
I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. i just found this site last week.
shmabby....i understand where you are coming from. i begged my endocrinologist to let me try diet/exercise only for my 3 months. didn't work, had to go back on meds. i take victoza. it's a daily shot, (not insulin). helps with appetite. i am a food addict. the following is what i do. my weigh comes right down and it's easy LIFE change. i am too old to jump through hoops and climb mountains to get weight off. i want simple easy to do.

i have the best dietitian. she explains it so well. it really is easy. let's see if i can do it the way she does it.
(for me and my blood count numbers, high LDL, low HDL, low VIT D, etc.
i have 45 carbs per meal, 15 for morning and afternoon snack, 30 evening snack)
your carbs to be most concerned about are three major categories.
1) breads, whole grains, flours, etc.
2) fruits
3) milk
low carbs is non-starchy veggies, meats, fats
most serving sizes are 1/2 cup.
she just uses 15 carbs per serving. milk may have 12, something else may have 17. she uses average of 15. easy to remember and count.
so this gives you 3 carb food items per meal to equal the 45.
example eating out. you have your protein, you have mashed potatoes (just eat about 1/2 cup), ask or choose steamed veggies. than 1/2 a dinner roll is 15. fruit for dessert (1/2 cup) is 15. your meal totals 45. nothing hard about it.
if you have 1 1/2 cups non starchy veggies she says to count as a 15. it adds up.

i was DX in 06. my A1C was 7.5. has not been over 6 in the past 2 years. it came close this last time.

hope this helps you some.
chipper15173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:40 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

chipper,
I know exactly what you mean. Our stats are similar.
We'll see what I can do w/in the next two months.

Anyone can probably do almost anything for the short term - it's finding something we're comfortable with FOREVER that's the challenge.

I also have food issues - which is why I'm thinking of checking out overeaters anonymous.

You can go nuts looking at all the various lc options on the internet.
Cheap ie inexpensive food tends to be unhealthy and it's just too easy to go that route if you're tryng to save $.

I'm not going to exercise 2 hours daily and eat less than 1,000 calories for life - it just is NOT going to happen.

What I have to figure out is if there's a food/excercise plan I WILL live by that WILL produce numbers I want w/o meds.

To be continued....
Old 12-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I feal differntly about metformin I sure would like to take it BUT. I am one of the verry
few people that it makes gain weight. Perhaps it is just water weight but it still shows up
on the scale. I know it's not suposed to make you gain weigth in fact most sources say
it never causes weight gain but my Dr. said he has seen this in a couple of patients. But
as I said I wish I could take it. Some new studies say it may lower your risk of cancer. In
paticular I think I saw one report that breast cancer patients who use metformin may have a survival rate about three times higher than those not on metformin!

But back to meds in general. I saw one study about starting intensive insulin theripy on
newley diagnosed diabetics. By intensive we mean one or 2 shots of a slow insulin and 3 or 4 shots of a fast insulin. If done real early in the disease this lets the panceres have
a chance to recover some and effectivily the patients no longer test as being diabetic.
But this must be done early before your panceres has been dammaged too much.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

well the new challange is I'm supposed to go from an a1c of 8.5 to 7.5 in 2 months.

Obviouly I need to get lower than 7.5 but dr. feels if I can hit 7.5 between now and early feb w/o any meds then she's comfortable w/my decision to forgo med, since I told her if I can't hit that goal I will agree to the meds.

Naturally I have NO idea if this is
easy hard possible impossible
Old 12-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Schmabby, I don't know if you've looked at Primal or Paleo style diets, but they are essentially low carb without the counting. They are easy to follow, the foods are great, and no limits on food as long as you stay away from foods that aren't considered paleo/primal like grains and other refined foods. Primal allows whole dairy, Paleo does not, so if you like your dairy, that's a consideration.

Both permit some sweets (i.e. honey, dates, etc.), starches like potatoes, and fruit, but I would stay totally away from the sweets (with the exception of high cacao chocolate--a must!) and minimize the fruit and starches, sticking to low glycemic index fruits like berries, and "colorful" starches like sweet potatoes and winter squashes if you have any at all.

Also, are you having plenty of good fat (olive oil, coconut oil, butter, animal fats, etc.)? If not, try increasing your fats. This will help stabilize your blood sugars, make you feel satisfied, and help you maintain ketosis which will improve your blood sugars. Increasing dietary fat will not make you gain weight and it should improve your cholesterol. Omega 3 fatty acids (fish fat, pastured eggs and dairy) are especially important for you right now.

Finally, eliminating wheat is probably the MOST effective thing you can do to bring that A1C under control. See Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

that's exactly/sort of what I'm doing!!!

I'm not counting carb literally but I've decided to drop certain things entirely:
no grains, wheat, legumes, pasta, peas, corn etc

Had one diet coke in the past month and decided that's an easy one for me to skip.

I don't count the carbs on my veggies at all.

Only fruit is sometimes blueberries. Been eating lots of eggs, veggies, cheese, meat, salad.

I love dairy which raises my sugar but I'm going to try to limit to 10% fat whole yogurt.

So far so good. My daily numbers aren't great but they're a heck of a lot better than they were a month ago!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I make my own yogurt out of HWC--yummy and no carbs. Very filling, too--a little goes a long way!
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

what is HWC?

I've been purchasing plain Cabot in both 2% and 10% at Publix Both very good but I think they are raising my blood sugar.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:24 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
HWC = heavy whipping cream. Low carb compared to non-fat or regular milk.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmabby View Post
My healthy weakness - yougurt, cottage and ricotta cheese. I'm cutting out ricotta and cottage but I'm not giving up yougurt. I'm doing whole fat greek plain but limiting portion to no more than 2/3 to one cup.
Did you pick yogurt because you like it better? Or lower calorie? I can't get away with yogurt, but ricotta is pretty easy on my blood sugar. I like the whole milk stuff at trader joe's with a packet of truvia or splenda and a bit of cinnamon. Yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Also, are you having plenty of good fat (olive oil, coconut oil, butter, animal fats, etc.)? If not, try increasing your fats. This will help stabilize your blood sugars, make you feel satisfied, and help you maintain ketosis which will improve your blood sugars. Increasing dietary fat will not make you gain weight and it should improve your cholesterol. Omega 3 fatty acids (fish fat, pastured eggs and dairy) are especially important for you right now.

Finally, eliminating wheat is probably the MOST effective thing you can do to bring that A1C under control. See Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight
ITA with all of this. It's great you've already gotten rid of grains. For me, I do much better with my blood sugar if I rely *heavily* on fat. I try not to go above 70 g a day of protein, but I will have unlimited fat. (Well, actually I've just started JUDDD and I've changed a lot of stuff -- but this is what was working really well for my blood sugar.)

I think Dr. Bernstein is really amazing and right on just about everything, except his diet is a little rigid. But I follow so much of his advice and then just do my own diet, which I believe is consistent with his in all of the relevant details. For a long time I did the 6, 12, 12, which I don't think is too bad. Eventually I figured out that I couldn't lose any weight without going way lower than that on the carbs, so I've actually gotten more rigid if anything.

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

I dedided yougurt would be my one dairy because of its supposed healthy benefits - live active cultures. I figure it has the benefits of cheese and then some.

Right now I'm purchasing 10% fat Cabot (brand name) yogurt at Publix.
To me it's thicker than sour cream.

First week in Feb I repeat bloodwork.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sandyaj56
Stats: 195/178/130
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 7/1/11
hi, just wanted to say i'm 55 and my A1C test came back 7.8 my dr, said meds. and i said no i would try low carb first. well 8 weeks later i went back and did test again it went from 7.8 to 5.5 i had also lost 20 pounds. hope this helps.
sandyaj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Excellent

Will you take my blood test for me in Feb???

Seriously, great job!!!