Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiandude1965
Stats: 213/207/140
Another new member! :kicking:

Hi everyone,

First of all, I wanted to just say hi to all of you and to let you know I have been lurking in the background for the past few days while I try to decide which way to take the new lease on life I have been given.

On March 21, 2011, at 5 a.m. I was rushed to the hospital after suffering a heart attack. I subsequently had two stents placed into arteries in the front of my heart. The doctors opted not to place a stent in a lesser blockage at the rear of my heart.

During the post-opt recovery stay, tests revealed that I might also have diabetes and since my release from the hospital, I have been trying to understand what kind of diet is best for me. Having heard both pros and cons in regard to low-carb diets, I am now turning to all of you to help me (if you don't mind).

I should also mention that I am a guinea pig in the Alecardio drug testing project which is aimed at people who have suffered a heart attack AND have a risk of diabetes. My blood sugar levels are fairly high at times and I am still quite overweight for my age and height.

My last blood sugar test this evening (45 minutes after my meal, too early?) stood at 6.3 (113). I'm testing 6 times per day before and after meals.
canadiandude1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/240/150-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 8/19/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiandude1965 View Post
Hi everyone,

First of all, I wanted to just say hi to all of you and to let you know I have been lurking in the background for the past few days while I try to decide which way to take the new lease on life I have been given.

On March 21, 2011, at 5 a.m. I was rushed to the hospital after suffering a heart attack. I subsequently had two stents placed into arteries in the front of my heart. The doctors opted not to place a stent in a lesser blockage at the rear of my heart.

During the post-opt recovery stay, tests revealed that I might also have diabetes and since my release from the hospital, I have been trying to understand what kind of diet is best for me. Having heard both pros and cons in regard to low-carb diets, I am now turning to all of you to help me (if you don't mind).

I should also mention that I am a guinea pig in the Alecardio drug testing project which is aimed at people who have suffered a heart attack AND have a risk of diabetes. My blood sugar levels are fairly high at times and I am still quite overweight for my age and height.

My last blood sugar test this evening (45 minutes after my meal, too early?) stood at 6.3 (113). I'm testing 6 times per day before and after meals.
Hi~I'll Join you...I've been seeing a new Endo since February for Thyroid issues, and on my B'day (29-March) he told me i had diabetes. It runs in my family, so i was not too too shocked. My doc told me to do my evening test 1-2 hours after my evening meal for my evening reading. Do they have you on anything like Metformin? Thats what I take...Metformin extended release. I test in the AM for a fasting reading, and then after meals in the evening. Those readings i do for him...for ME, i'm going to start testing in the afternoons when i get sleepy. I need to know if i'm high or low and maybe adjust diet accordingly. Best of luck to you
Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nill4me View Post
Hi~I'll Join you...I've been seeing a new Endo since February for Thyroid issues, and on my B'day (29-March) he told me i had diabetes. It runs in my family, so i was not too too shocked. My doc told me to do my evening test 1-2 hours after my evening meal for my evening reading. Do they have you on anything like Metformin? Thats what I take...Metformin extended release. I test in the AM for a fasting reading, and then after meals in the evening. Those readings i do for him...for ME, i'm going to start testing in the afternoons when i get sleepy. I need to know if i'm high or low and maybe adjust diet accordingly. Best of luck to you
Hi nill4me! What a horrible birthday present to receive! I've just finished my first 3 days of taking readings before meals and an hour after meals. Today was a great day for me as my levels were very low compared to the two previous days. Here's what I got for today:

Before breakfast: 6.9
After breakfast: 7.5
Before lunch: 5.8
After lunch. 4.7
Before supper: 5.0
After supper: 7.5

I'm not on Metformin but have heard that it works well. I'm (possibly) on a new drug called Alecardio which is experimental and still in testing. I'm either a guinea pig for the drug or for the placebo lol.

I would suggest doing testing before meals and an hour or two after each meal and to keep a record of what you ate so you can adjust your diet. I was eating a high fibre cereal with milk for breakfast until I started testing my BS and found that it was at 11.9 on each of the first two days of testing (after breakfast). The 7.5 I got today is a huge drop and was the result of eating an omelette (yolks removed) mixed with two small sliced mushrooms along with two slices of tomato and cucumber on the side and a glass of water.

My problem now as a diabetes newbie is food replacements (especially snacks as I'm a big snacker). The other problem is that many of the ingredients used in the recipes on this forum can't be found here in Sweden.

Oh well, I've lost 8 pounds since my heart attack on the 21st of March and I feel much healthier already so there is a positive to be had from all this.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiandude1965 View Post
eating an omelette (yolks removed) mixed with two small sliced mushrooms along with two slices of tomato and cucumber on the side and a glass of water.
Just curious...why do you remove the yolk? If you do a search on the net for egg yolk myths, you'll find tons of sites that reference the debunking of the 'yolks are bad for you' and tell you why they're actually very healthy.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I pretty much follow Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" - no grains, starches, fruits and spread my <30gm of carbs out across my 3 meals. I eat very cleanly - no 'substitutions' or artificial sweeteners...mainly because so many contain maltodextrin which is a problem for diabetics.

I eat eggs and bacon for breakfast, a chef's salad with 3 oz of protein (chopped hard boiled egg, an ounce of cheese and an ounce of ham or chicken) with full fat blue cheese dressing for lunch and dinner is 3-4 oz of protein and 1 cup of green vegies.

My diet is moderate protein (30%) and high fat (60%). A few months after I started the no grains, starches, and fruits, I was off my insulin. My doctor wishes all her patients had my lipid profiles.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013

I'm so glad that you were treated and are on the road to recovery. You have come to the right place for knowledge and support!
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

@Aomiel: I removed the yolk mainly because I am still a brainwashed newbie to LCHF and still let the myths tell me that eating the yolks and all the cholesterol that's in them will do more damage to what's left of my arteries (especially since the docs left the one minor blockage uncleared which still scares me).
Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Hey dude! Welcome!

I am so sorry about your heart attack and your diabetes. Good that you found LCHF!! You are doing the right thing for yourself and are going to feel so much better soon!

I also live in scandinavia....you are quite lucky living in Sweden because there are more options available to purchase than here in Denmark (as far as ingredients for recipes etc). I will send you a link with some swedish webshops. Yes, you have to make a lot of foods yourself....but there are tons of recipes out there and it may take a little time to figure out what to eat, but I guarantee you will be satisfied! I have a few recipes that work with ingredients we can buy, too!

For your information....the sweetener called eyrithritol is sold in our area of the world as SUKRIN. There is granular and sukrin melis (like powdered sugar...i like this one the best). Also you should be able to get fabulous liquid sweetener made with cyclamates and saccharin that people in the US cannot buy. I use it all the time.

There is also a company making and selling low carb bread in Sweden!! I have to get to Malmų someday so I can try this stuff!

I will send you a message with some links! Welcome and I hope you feel better soon!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:17 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
UGH!!! I cannot send you a message because you have not posted enough to enable private messages! When you can, send me one and I will send you the info!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
UGH!!! I cannot send you a message because you have not posted enough to enable private messages! When you can, send me one and I will send you the info!
Thanks for all the info, stardustshadow! I will be sure to send you a PM when it allows me to lol.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
CD, I'm glad you are recovering well.

Parts of Dr. Richard Bernstein's book can be read online. It is well worth reading, for the explanations of how protein, fats, and carbohydrates are metabolized, and what does and doesn't happen in pre-diabetics, type I and type II folks, and how metabolism differs in non-diabetics, as well as for much other brilliant information. I found his book easy to read and most inspiring.

There is a support thread for folks eating according to Dr. Bernstein's recommendations here. They are very friendly, and can answer many questions. Dr. Bernstein's plan is easy to follow and a great, low-carb food plan.

I eat egg yolks and toss the whites.

I wish you good health and much joy in low carb living.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-03-2011 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: clarification
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote