LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miggsmacall
Stats: 317/302/169
WOE: Atkins/Stillman's cycle
Start Date: August 2005 (LC)
Morning fasting blood sugars- 110

I have insulin resistance and now Gestational Diabetes- I'm 20 weeks pregnant.

It's easy to keep my blood sugars 1 & 2+ hours after eating in the 100-110 range controlled by diet- "low" carbs, but just high enough to not go into ketosis because I'm pregnant. I space out about 130 grams of carbs throughout the day and like I said, my BS is just fine.

BUT, it's always between 97-110-115 fasting. I've tried not eating after 8pm (hard to do when you're pregnant), I've tried eating a controlled carb snack (15 grams) mixed with fat and protein before bed- same results.

Are these numbers something to worry about? I know about Dawn Phenom. and feel like this probably isn't a case of my BS being too high throughout the night and just coming down to 110 by morning but because my hormones are "waking me up".

Am I causing damage?
miggsmacall is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristen777
Start Date: 1/2/2011
first off, congrats on the pregnancy! i am also sorry you have to deal with GD, i also had it...they tested me very early on and i had to follow a lc diet from 9 weeks! really sucks for pregnant women, esp when the cravings kick in..i always thought of pregnancy as the time it was ok to get away with eating a sundae followed by a pickle followed by fried chicken and no one would say anything, but instead i had to eat sf jello veggie sticks

as far as the numbers, im sure most drs are different but mine was mostly concerned with the fasting numbers being under 80...as i got further along, my fasting numbers went higher and higher and he finally put me on medication as the diet alone wasnt working..it sucked but at the end of the day, i knew i had to do it for the baby

i wont lie, my 'push present' was a peanut butter sundae
kristen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
very good questions! congrats on the pregnancy too.

if I were you I would go to the site BloodSugar101 and ask the woman who runs the site. she is the most knowledgeable person I know personally on this subject and most kind to take her time to help people with questions like yours.

my sense is that for the pregnancy, it's not a problem to be that high fasting, but you need to jump on it after giving birth. is there trouble taking Metformin while pregnant? I have no idea, but that would be your best bet, it's it's ok.

this is probably not going to be helpful, but when I was trying to deal with this issue, not pregnant, at one point in the past I got some help from eating a SMALL snack sometime in the wee hours like 3-4 am when I got up to use the bathroom. just keep it in there, something like a small piece of cheese, on the counter. I don't know why, but giving my digestion something to do seemed to keep my liver from going so bonkers with the glycogen release. I have never heard anyone else suggest this, so again, it probably won't help, but it's easy! good luck.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Shouldn't you be discussing all this with your doctor? I say this because my sister had her first (and only) child at age 42 and developed Gestational Diabetes. Her ob put her on a low carb diet and taught her how to monitor her BG throughout the pregnancy. He was also available 24/7 to answer any questions she had about her numbers. And she had many questions, as is natural for any woman concerned about her unborn child.

The result was very positive--for both mother and child (who is now 18).
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I have read the BS101 site extensively and it doesn't really address the issue of pregnancy being different or if the 110 reading in the morning is really that bad. I know that truly normal is below 90 but I was just wondering if anyone had experience with the numbers being that range in the morning while pregnant.

I guess what I'm confused about is if my numbers are always under 140 why would it be bad to have my BS be at 85-90 before I go to bed at 11pm and 110 when I wake up at 7am? Is it rising past 140 without me knowing in the middle of the night?

OF COURSE I'm in communication with my doctor- that's how I know I have the GD and check my blood sugars religiously and keep tight control over my numbers. I assure you I'm not looking for medical advice on an online forum. I have another appt in another week and a half and will discuss it with her then but as I find out, doctors don't always have the most accurate info or personal experience. Also, an OBGYN isn't an endocrinologist. While it would be fantastic, I don't know if my doctor would be available to me 24/7 when my numbers- without medication- are between 100-110 after meals. Not exactly an emergency situation!

Kristin- isn't below 80 in the morning a hard number to achieve? I know it's probably very easy for someone without GD or diabetes but even when relatively "normal" mine were usually in the mid-80's. Hmmn..
Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristen777
Start Date: 1/2/2011
i'm not sure on how hard it is to achieve, i just recall once i hit around 30 weeks, my fasting numbers were in the high 90s and that's when they started me on meds...sorry, for the life of me i cannot recall what it was, i just remember it was a pill..i was terrified of having to do a shot, but the pill and a lc diet seemed to do the trick

i was also induced at 39 weeks because of their worries with GD, my numbers were not being controlled and my ultrasounds were giving an estimate of a 9lb baby..of course, as pretty common these days, my induction lead to a csection and the baby came out at 9lbs 1oz...they immediately tested her (prepare yourself, its a tough one to watch as they have to prick their heal and squeeze for what seems like an eternity to a new mom)...she was perfect and within 24 hours, my numbers were perfect

theyve told me i will more than likely always have GD with pregnancies, so now i know to just stick with LC if i ever plan to get pregnant again

the plus side, if there really is one besides making sure of a healthy baby, i got frequent sonograms and got to see my lil girl weekly and i also lost weight in the first few months
kristen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for that info, Kristen. I wonder why the requirements for pregnant woman's fasting blood sugars are lower than non-pregnant women? They don't start non-preggers on diabetes meds if their fasting is in the 90's... And, while having your fasting #'s be in the 80's is healthy it's not a requirement for non-pregnant woman and I keep hearing women tell me their doc's were really wanting their fastings to be in the 80's range.

I'm going to lower my carbs even more than they suggest (tricky balance staying out of the ketosis) and see if that helps in the morning.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Also, regarding meds vs. pills and I know it varies for people, but is there really a need for pills or insulin if your numbers always range between about 90-110? I mean, aren't these relatively normal numbers?

Like I said, I have already seen the doctor and will follow up again, I was just curious and to why the numbers seem to be stricter for pregnant woman.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by miggsmacall View Post
Also, regarding meds vs. pills and I know it varies for people, but is there really a need for pills or insulin if your numbers always range between about 90-110? I mean, aren't these relatively normal numbers?

Like I said, I have already seen the doctor and will follow up again, I was just curious and to why the numbers seem to be stricter for pregnant woman.
this is why I suggested that you write to the woman at BloodSugar101 and ask. we don't seem to know.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PrincessDB
Stats: ?/?/145 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2000
Hi Miggs! I am also pregnant (a little over 16 weeks) with GD. Given the earliness with which they identified it (tested early b/c family hx), I likely had some metabolic issues or diabetes prior to pregnancy.

My dr. has me aiming for 60-90 when I wake and under 120 one hour after meals. I am having similar issues with the a.m. readings, but post meals are fine. The dr. said if they don't settle out soon with diet, they will put me on meds at which point they will aim for under 80!!! in the a.m.

They have me eating a snack of 30 g of carbs right before bed so the liver isn't spilling glucose in the night. They actually encouraged it to be 1 cup ice cream. I was trying to make other choices, and had not such great readings in the a.m., so I finally caved and bought All Natural Breyers last night. Well, my morning reading wasn't perfect (101), but it was closer to the target range than I've gotten so far.

I am going to do this again tonight, and also add a 30 minute walk to the evening. I'll let you know if the numbers get any better with this tweak. I am doing everything possible to avoid any medication or insulin. Unfortunately, given that I am so early still in my pregnancy, I have to face the fact that I will have increasing insulin needs and don't know how my body will respond.

Good luck and I feel for you!!
PrincessDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kaimi2008
Stats: 198.8/176.6/155 (for now) 5'6"
WOE: Jenny Craig
Start Date: July 11, 2014
I agree, I think you should be discussing this with a gestational diabetes consultant of your doctor.
I just gave birth to twins 3 weeks ago and I was also diagnosed at 18 weeks with having GD for the 2nd time around.

My fasting number should be <95 after 2 hours of eating. Then, when I switched doctors my GD consultant had me testing 1 hour after a meal = <95 - I had 6 HIGH fasting numbers from Aug-Jan @ 103 - it was due to stress and lack of sleep. The stress was from the loss of a 15 y/o dog. It all went back to normal once my life was back in order.

Oh, forgot. I had too test 3x's a day (b,l and d) and it should be <120 - that was after 2 hours and 1 hour per my new doctor. I think my GD consultant said u should never go more than 12 hours w/o eating for your fasting number?

Good luck, and congrats on your pregnancy.

"What you eat in private is what you wear in public."

Last edited by Kaimi2008; 02-13-2011 at 02:32 PM..
Kaimi2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Well, just as I suspected the diabetes consultant didn't have an answer for me about my higher numbers vs. my low numbers all day. She said, "we might just put you on medication." Rather than tell me what I can do. Maybe she doesn't know.

She did say that my fasting should be under 95- not 60-80 as some people have told me.

Her suggestion for keeping my numbers lower when waking? Eat something with fiber like Wheat Thins or Corn tortillas before bed. I don't think that's what I need to be doing. I'll keep researching.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PrincessDB
Stats: ?/?/145 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2000
I've continued with the 1 cup of ice cream (30g) and cinnamon before bed and have gotten 95 and under during the last three nights. Just thought I'd share.
PrincessDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Meggzie
Start Date: caught up with the wagon again 5/2/2011
I had GD with both of my pregnancies...my levels were great during the day with Lower carb plan but high in the morning..they got higher as the pregnancy progressed. My first pregnancy I started insulin at bedtime at around 30 weeks... with my second it was much earlier (maybe around 20 weeks) I used to eat in the middle of the night..seemed to work for awhile with my first(not at all with my second). My plan was to eat aprox. 15-20 carbs per meal and 2 snacks and to make sure I ate some protein with each snack/meal. One thing I did notice was that things with sugar/fruit didn't seem to spike my numbers, but if I ate bread/crackers my numbers were high ( and forget pizza...would send my numbers through the roof!) My favorite snack was cottage cheese with mandarin oranges ( portion control was an issue for me, so I bought the little snack cups to make sure I wasn't overdoing it). My endocrinologist also said that sometimes you do everything that you can and everything right and your body just doesn't respond the way that you want it to. Is your diabetic consultant with a group...is there someone else in that group that you can talk to? I am hypothyroid and had an endo. before I got pregnant who just followed me throughout my pregnancies ( much to the upset of my OB/GYN who wanted me to use the group that they were connected to). Just wanted to share...not sure if there is any advice there or not
Meggzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Meggzie!

How high were they in the morning and how high were they post meals?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tweetdrms
Did you ever resolve your issue with the High am blood sugar? I am pregnant with my 2nd child and I had to do insulin with my first and I would like to avoid it with this one if at all possible, but I can not get my am bg to lower enough.
tweetdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

So, my AM morning blood sugars remained at or around 110. They put me on the tiniest bit of glyburide right before bed, I ate a combo protein, fat and 10g carb snack with some fiber.

I had to track my sugars daily and phone them into the doctor's every week. It was laughable, though, because my sugars after eating were 90-110.

While I was in labor, Kaiser was giving me "diabetic" meals- you know, apple, milk, pancakes and "sugar free syrup" with little to no protein. My blood sugar in the morning went up to 145 and they said they're going to start me on insulin. I refused and told my husband to go down to the cafeteria and get me some cheese sticks and hardboiled eggs so that I could eat those and pick through the terrible hospital food.

I feel like they do what the manual tells them and there is no room for human in there.

I don't know what your morning blood sugars or after meal blood sugars were like but mine weren't very high and I was pretty diligent about my diet.

Good luck and congratulations!