LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Pre diabetic

After 3 months of working out 3-5 days a week, watching calories, carbs and not losing weight. I finally got my blood work done. Thryoid is "normal" and cholesterol is very very good, but my fasting blood sugar was 118. He said 126 is diabetic. The doctors answer "Lose weight and work out" HELLO! What have I been doing all this time? It hasn't worked! I was hoping for an answer that would help me figure out why its not working!
at the beginning of the year I made it my goal to lose 80lbs by jan so we can start a family. Well I've only got a few months left and I'm no where near that goal.

Any ideas peeps?
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
What level of carbs have you been eating, do you know?

You really should get a glucose monitor and start testing your blood sugar after meals. The standard is 2 hours after beginning eating, but you should check at the one hour point sometimes too. If you get any readings over 140, you are starting to get the damage that high blood sugars cause long term. Probably nor much, but you look young and it all adds up over time.

If you have readings over 140, forget whether the label is diabetic or pre-diabetic and talk to your doctor about taking some Metformin to help control that. Even if you aren't officially diabetic, it can help blood sugars a lot, and also can really help weight loss in some people.

Even if your post prandial readings are ok, you still might benefit from Metformin. It's a very cheap generic too.

Doctors are far too "loose" with these standards. They tell you to lose weight and we will follow it... meanwhile it's YOU who is getting slow damage to eyes, nerves, heart, or kidneys. It really is better to deal with it early. I know it feels better to think that's not necessary, but I sure wish someone had told me all this 18 years ago when I was in your situation!!!

Best of luck with it. By treating it aggressively now, if it's necessary, you can probably avoid most of the downside of diabetes.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I was diagnosed prediabetic too, AFTER I'd lost 20 lbs...although I may have had high numbers for quite a while....continued weight loss especially by counting calories didn't improve my numbers, nor did exercise. The only thing that helped was to cut my carbs way down to 30g per day. Then my blood sugar numbers went down and the weight peeled off and I've been able to keep it off pretty easily. BUT, through testing my blood sugars a lot I've discovered I cannot EVER eat more than the 30g a day and keep
diabetes away.

I don't mind at all. There are good low carb substitutes for everything, and for the first time in decades weight is not a problem for me. I eat a lot and love what I eat.

Getting a blood sugar meter and some strips and testing to see what you can eat will help you a lot. It might help you lose a lot of weight like it did me. Dr. Richard Bernstein's book, Diabetic Solution explains it all well. The Atkins diet, especially Induction, should be very good for you, I would think.

I don't take metformin, but if I couldn't get this under control with diet and exercise alone I sure would. I've heard good things about it. Especially the extended release,
to prevent tummy discomfort.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saponaria
Stats: 200/172/120
WOE: Atkins, Weston Price, Bernstein
I second the suggestion to get a blood sugar monitor. If your fasting is that high I'd guess your bg after meals is pretty high. How many carbs are you eating a day? Exercising for a few months won't necessarily help significantly. The thing is you probably don't know what your fasting was 3 mo ago before you started exercising, right? You have nothing to compare to.

You'll likely need to drop your carb count really low to ease the burden on your pancreas. You might be able to increase carbs after that. I started low carbing last year after being told I was hyperglycemic with a random bg of 198. I was scared to death. Regularly low carbing and taking my bg I noticed my fasting slowly but surely lowering. However I lowcarbed for at least 3 mo before I even started taking my BG. And it continued to drop for months after that. (Then I got pregnant. ) My fasting still tends to run a little high but I can easily keep my post prandials just over a 100 on average.

However there is just no quick fix. It's really more about control and prevention. You can reverse some damage but honestly you just won't be come non diabetic or prediabetic with diet or exercise. You'll just be able to lead a healthy life and spare your body damage by high blood sugars. But you won't be able to eat high carb foods and maintain low blood sugar numbers that way.

I hope that helps. I'm pretty sure I'm diabetic. I'm only 33 but it seemed to have happened rapidly over the last few years. My mom is also about to receive a diabetes diagnosis. She chose to ignore her prediabetes for years. Bad idea! Anyway, my sympathies for your struggle to lose weight. It can be really hard.
saponaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #5

I've done low carb off and on for years, always feel best when I do it. Two weeks before my test I tried out South Beach for the first time, and felt good. But decided I should go off of it for a week before the test and just eat "normal". I'm sure I over indulged in things over that week.
Going back to atkins/south beach way of eating. Doctor is gonna recheck my fasting in a month.

Anyone have any idea about the high white blood cell count?
Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saponaria
Stats: 200/172/120
WOE: Atkins, Weston Price, Bernstein
My fasting goes up when my carb intake and over all blood sugars after meals goes up.

About the wbc. I dont' see that in your post? I have had a lot of labs over the last year and a half and have had a mildly elevated wbc a lot of times. It comes and goes and no one seems worried about it. I guess it's just while my body is busy fighting something off.
saponaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #7

Yeah the doctor said its PRETTY high, but since I feel fine he isn't gonna dig for anything, but will retest that in a month and if its still high, he'll start looking.
I'm going by the docs office tomorrow to pick up a copy of the lab reports.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: princetempest
A random blood glucose 126 mg / dl is not pre diabetes.It is diabetes.Other than medication, changing lifestyle is the best way to manage diabetes.Get a good sleep at least seven hours per day during the night.Get rid of stress by doing yoga and regular moderate physical exercise.Cut fat, fried, junk food and fast food.
princetempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by princetempest View Post
A random blood glucose 126 mg / dl is not pre diabetes.It is diabetes.Other than medication, changing lifestyle is the best way to manage diabetes.Get a good sleep at least seven hours per day during the night.Get rid of stress by doing yoga and regular moderate physical exercise.Cut fat, fried, junk food and fast food.
My Blood sugar was 118 not 126......
Old 08-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maeve
Stats: 228/220/178
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Ongoing
Hang in there...I know how you feel. Buying a meter was the best thing I ever did and I did it after doing my own research on here!!! Oh, the other good thing I did was find another doctor -- it was a necessity.
Maeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
Even if your post prandial readings are ok, you still might benefit from Metformin. It's a very cheap generic too.
I dont know if you have Publix by you, but they just started a program where you can get the generice of Metformin for free!!! So in addition to free antibiotics they have free Met! Cant get much cheaper than that!
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #12

Can some one tell me why my Fasting Blood sugar is higher then my Post meal (2 hours) readings?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Lots of peeps have higher numbers in the morning. Mine were good after I started taking my dose of metformin at bedtime, per my doctor's orders.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Do you have POCS, insulin resistance, did your Dr run a fasting insulin?
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
Yeah the doctor said its PRETTY high, but since I feel fine he isn't gonna dig for anything,
Almost no one feels bad when they become diabetic. The damage to nerves, etc., is happening even though one feels the same as usual.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
Can some one tell me why my Fasting Blood sugar is higher then my Post meal (2 hours) readings?
Google "dawn effect." This is very common in diabetes.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

If I didn't know when my sugar was doing what, I'd be following at 1500 eat=what-you-want calorie counting diet. But since I feel no symptoms whatsoever, yet, know what my meter tells me, I low carb! For life!