LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
low carb and blood sugar spikes

Hi everyone, I have a question I hope someone can help me with... I have been limiting my carb intake for a few months now and have had great success with my numbers, (type 2) so today and yesterday, my blood sugars have been running really high for me, and I have been eating the same foods etc, nothing carby etc... still for the last couple of days my numbers have been high. I'm not sick or anything either. Do you have any ideas? Thanks for your ear...fourstubbs
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Are the readings equally high all the time or is it elevated fasting or post prandial numbers in particular?

How high is high? And how much of an increase is that for you?

If it's all the time, are you SURE you aren't sick? Sometimes it turns out it's a tooth problem and the infection isn't seen right away but it's there. Or something else like that.

Second, what meds are you on? If it's insulin, you might have a batch that's not good anymore. It's very sensitive to temperature, and getting too hot or too cold can render it useless.

If it's post prandial readings that are surprisingly high, is it possible you are getting hidden carbs somewhere? Are you eating or taking anything new?

Oh, and has your amount of exercise changed? That can make a difference too.

And alcohol consumption. Have you recently cut out alcohol or decreased how much you drink? Alcohol lowers blood sugars, so it would probably be higher without it.

And sometimes, for whatever reason, our diabetes just seems to get better or worse.

Good luck troubleshooting this.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steve Parker
Stats: 173/168/160
WOE: Low-Carb Mediterranean Diet
Start Date: September 1, 2009
Ravenrose is on the right track. Did you get a new refill on diabetic medication? Could be a bad batch or wrong dose mistake.

-Steve
Steve Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Hi and yes, I have a new batch of insulin...

I don't think I am sick, but perhaps that is something I might find out in a couple of days.
My numbers have been running 97 to 125 lately so when I say high, they are running 145 to 190... the only thing I can think of anything differently that I may have ingested, is I had some lemon juice (the one in the bottle) with some splenda, that is something I just started drinking, instead of tea, soda...it says no carbs, but maybe it does? Otherwise I am at a loss, and perhaps the insulin isn't doing what it should. I will keep checking my bs and if no change I will make an appt with my doctor... I hope this goes away as I don't want it to effect my a1c... Thanks...

Carbs is the "gasoline" that causes the diabetes flame to burn higher and hotter.... common sense from Dr. Bernsteins website
RIP annagm 1956-2012 My Sweet Sister
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: patty1340
eating low carb for 2 1/2 months and fasting blood sugars HIGH! Help

I have been faithfully eating low carb ( induction 20 net carbs) Since May 1, 2010, and I haven't been losing that much, a total of 18 lbs, most of which was lost in the first month.I need to lose about 70 lbs. I have coronary artery disease and have 4 stents in my LAD artery. I take several medications for heart disease as well as supplements for blood sugar and metabolism. I have been watching my blood sugar recently and my fasting numbers range from 126-168 and today 2 hrs after I ate it was 188 . My mom was a type 1 diabetic and my husband is type 2 I thought I was knowledgeable about diabetes and I know that carbs are bad for your blood sugar. I thought they would be in line after 2 months of eating low carb but they are worse than when I started May 1. 8 months ago my a1c number was 6.2. I am going to have it checked again because I don't like my numbers. Metformin seems to be the med of choice, but I can't take that because of heart disease - it increases my risk of a heart attack 2.5 times. I am not losing weight ,Blod sugars are high, and I retain water even with lasix and potassium that I take. I am hoping someone here can give me some direction. thank you
patty1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mmshadows
Start Date: November 2009
Hi Patty,

I am definitely not an expert, but I did read a few sources that indicate Lasix can boost blood sugar a little. Also, wondered if you've had your thyroid checked. Not everyone with hypothyroidism has problems with fluid retention, but there is a connection.

Janene
mmshadows is offline   Reply With Quote