LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjbee
Stats: 216.6/179/150
WOE: medi weightloss
Start Date: mar 17 2010
can diabetes cause extreme hunger?

Ok so I am abut 2 weeks in my low carb diet and loving it. I did have a question about hunger that has happen for about 2 years now. I go from not being hungry to starving-must find food now mode! Thankfully all my food is planned out b/c of the diet so it is not a prob, but it is unsettling. I am wondering if this is just part of the diabetes thing.

Thanks!
cjbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hpjrt
Hi again CJBee,

According to Dr. Bernstein, a well-fed Diabetic on a Low Carb diet should not be hungry.

That said ... I have found that there are times when I am in that "must find food NOW" mode ... but it's generally because if I'm busy I tend to, say, forget to eat lunch. Next thing I know, it's 3 pm and I haven't had anything to eat since 8 am ... and I find that I'm ravenous.

Now ... that's probably not a good thing ... and I do try to eat at least a little at regular intervals ... even if it's just a piece of cheese. I find that if I do have something then that hunger isn't a problem.

The longer I follow this diet, however, the less hungry I am. It's really remarkable. That didn't happen the last time I was doing LC.

I think as my bg readings come down into a better range, my hunger just isn't there.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what my bs readings are when I DO skip a meal and find myself very hungry ... because I generally go to the fridge to get a hard boiled egg or some cheese at such times, rather than head for my test kit to take a reading! Next time that happens, I'll try to remember to test my bs first ... then eat!

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
It least for me if my bg is high I just get more hungry. If I
feel I just have to have that ice cream 9 out of 10 times my
bg will be 120 or higher.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Mary,

I've tested myself before meals and invariably they are low to moderate in the 80-90's range. And seldom am I ravenous, though stomach IS growling. Just doesn't chemically make sense as with the SAD, ANY growling triggered a huge hunger response?

There's gotta be some kind of appetite shut off phenomenon with LCing, related to the higher fat/protein intake and little carb intake.
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hpjrt
Hi Chiody,

I think so too. The "really hungry" times strike me less and less as time and LCing goes on.

I'm convinced that "carb addiction" has a great deal to do with "hunger". I think that if we grew up eating breads, cookies and all the other high carb foods, we begin to interpret the sensation we feel as "hunger". In fact, it's just our bodies saying "I want more carbs".

Now, when I get that "got to eat food now" feeling ... it's more of a tummy grumbling sensation ... and I find that a smallish piece of cheese ... or a hard boiled egg will tide me over for quite a while.

Setting yourself up for success with LCing means that the "easy to grab" foods are actually low carb ones. I always keep at least a dozen hard boiled eggs in the fridge ... I always have cheese in the fridge. Now that I've been seriously LCing for 10 months or so ... my first instincts when hungry are to reach for one of the low carb items in the fridge.

I do keep chocolate covered digestive biscuits and store-brought bread in the bread drawer for my DH and son ... but it no longer ever occurs to me to eat that stuff anymore. Nor does it bother me to make a sandwich for DH while making myself something within the framework of my diet ... and I'm not quite sure when this happened mind-wise.

So ... LCing as a way of life as well as a WOE is far easier for me now than it was 10 months ago.

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbee View Post
Ok so I am abut 2 weeks in my low carb diet and loving it. I did have a question about hunger that has happen for about 2 years now. I go from not being hungry to starving-must find food now mode! Thankfully all my food is planned out b/c of the diet so it is not a prob, but it is unsettling. I am wondering if this is just part of the diabetes thing.
Thanks!
How do your numbers look? Are you controlling your diabetes? Are you finding that you're having lows? If your blood sugar is going high then low (reactive hypo type) that could be causing your hunger. I used to get that way. I could literally eat my arm off. It was an insane MUST HAVE FOOD NOW BEFORE I KILL feeling. It wasn't just head hunger either. If I were you, I would start checking every hour for a few days to see how my body is reacting.

YMMV but I didn't always get under 100 and even then I was starved. As long as I was seeing a sharp drop in B/S it would trigger that hunger feeling and at times would trigger binges.

"The man who can drive himself further once the effort
gets painful is the man who will win." - R.Bannister
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjbee
Stats: 216.6/179/150
WOE: medi weightloss
Start Date: mar 17 2010
thank you all for your help! I haven't had it in a while so I am hoping the Lcarbing is doing its thing. I was told i was insulin resistant kind of in passing. I never could navigate the waters of my insurance and doctors to get my testing going. I know i know bad me. I just figured I would go straigh to the cause and eat wisely. I am going to medi for help
cjbee is offline   Reply With Quote