Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mmshadows
Start Date: November 2009
antihistamines question

Hi Everyone!

I've been following the discussion and continuing to piece together things that I may have done to myself. I was just reading a post Mary made (I think it was Mary) about diabetics being their own worst enemy or something like that.

My doctor agrees that I am not diabetic. That doesn't mean I shouldn't keep working to improve my health though because I've done enough reading to realize I am not far from being diabetic. I have pretty much got things stabilized with counting carbs. Two meals a day are under 10, and the 3rd is under 25. Much better than what I was doing last fall. My daily average is 101.5 (mostly that high because of morning readings - throughout the day readings are between 79 and 96). I am able to do this with an occasional brownie, candy bar, or something else. I am losing weight. My hypothyroid meds and vitamin d levels seem under control now.

What has caught my attention the last few days is the comment about antihistamines elevating blood glucose levels. In addition to eating a lot of junk food and a lot of Dr. Pepper (more than 200 carbs of pop alone a day), I was taking one nightly Benadryl to help control itching from an autoimmune skin condition. And in the fall, spring, summer I take Claritin D plus something like clortrimetron (sp) to control allergies. Now I am wondering if they also contributed to higher glucose readings I had last fall.

I have had allergy symptoms for over a week and have avoided taking anything because I don't want to mess up my progress. One of my students mentioned this morning that she thinks Claritin is ok because her dad is diabetic and takes it w/o problems. She thought anything with a decongestant in it would not be good. Any thoughts on the subject?

Are there any antihistamines in general that are better for folks who are watching glucose levels?

Thanks in advance.
Janene
mmshadows is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I looked this up because I am curious too. I take Zyrtec occasionally and I've never noticed it affecting my blood sugar, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention...

anyway, decongestants like sudafed can raise blood sugars

benedryl, apparently, can lower them, sometimes too much

someone posted on a diabetes forum that her pharmacist had told her that Zyrtec and Claritin should be fine for diabetics... Claritin-D of course has sudafed in it, so that wouldn't be good.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hpjrt
I picked up the generic form of Claritin yesterday. I haven't needed it yet ... but after countless searches ... with nothing concrete against the Cetirizine Hydrochloride ... I did find that the Loratadine was noted as NOT affecting blood sugar.

So ... the next time my allergies raise their ugly little heads ... I'll try the Loratadine ... and see if it affects my blood sugar at all.

Mary

ETA: Zyrtec is Cetirizine Hydrochloride ... so I'll probably steer clear of that one. Of course ... we all know that my reaction may have been coincidental ... I just don't want to take a chance ...

Last edited by hpjrt; 03-24-2010 at 01:50 PM..
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I stopped by the pharmacy this afternoon. Pharmacist said Claritin and other antihistamines shouldn't raise readings. Since I've gone about 10 days without anything and have no sinus congestion (only congestion in my chest), they suggested I try Zyrtec and mucinex for the congestion. I was a little apprehensive about Zyrtec because I've never tried it, but I guess I'll find out pretty fast.

I guess I'll look for something else to manage the sinus congestion when that becomes a problem later this spring/summer.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steve Parker
Stats: 173/168/160
WOE: Low-Carb Mediterranean Diet
Start Date: September 1, 2009
Antihistamines raising blood sugar levels doesn't ring any bells with me. For what it's worth. As they say, "YMMV." Your mileage may vary.

-Steve
Steve Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
thanks, Steve!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I don't know about raising blood glucose levels but some can raise blood pressure (per my doctor).
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I've been told that too about bp and antihistamines. I usually proceed with caution, but my bp has been pretty well regulated for several years with no change in dosage. If and when I've taken stuff w/pseudoephedrine (sp??), I try to take a lower dosage once a day. Usually that helps when I'm out working in the yard in the summer - where most of my allergens can be found.

I've tried the zyrtec. Just not impressed. It doesn't seem to work much better than Claritin. Went to doc last week because symptoms were getting worse. I had a combination upper respiratory/sinus infection. I guess I was being so careful to avoid anything that would raise my levels that I wasn't paying attention to how miserable I really felt.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigsaw
Stats: 252/191.5/180(mini goal) sz 24/18/?
WOE: Metabolism/Diabetes Miracle-step2
Start Date: 12/26/2012
Hi all, reviving this old thread. So my BG has been increasing the last 4 days, usually it runs from 90-110 after means, below 115 in the morning. the last 4 days it has steadily been increasing 125 after meals and in the morning, yesterday hit a 130, this morning a 140. the only thing I can think of that i'm doing differently is taking allegra 24 hour, started approx 5 days ago, has anyone had an issue with allegra 24 hour and BG? It is either that or i'm getting sick, but I feel fine, sooo... i'm kinda at a loss.
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 56 (-223#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Is it possible that the reason for elevated glucose with an antihistamine, is due to a mild case of dehydration? One uses antihistamines to dry up secretions, right? If you have less fluid circulating in your bloodstream, isn't it possible that the glucose could be mildly elevated? if you don't take one for 24 hours and drank a little more water, I wonder what the readings would be the next day? Just a thought....
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hpjrt
I notice that my blood glucose rises somewhat during allergy season - certainly more at the beginning. I began my usual "freak out" this April when my allergies first kicked in and my morning BG readings were closer to 6 (108) than 5 (90). Then I looked back to my data from last spring and the spring before and noticed that the same thing happened every year!

Whatever the cause, it happens. So now we see the benefit of maintaining BG readings year over year! . I also find that by keeping a close rein on my day-to-day BG readings, anything that happens to make my BG rise a bit (infections, allergies etc), is still going to be within a reasonable range.

Just my two cents.

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigsaw
Stats: 252/191.5/180(mini goal) sz 24/18/?
WOE: Metabolism/Diabetes Miracle-step2
Start Date: 12/26/2012
Thanks guys! great input. I think it may have been a combination of things, plus i re-calibrated my meter and things seem to be close to normal. Thanks!
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote