Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saponaria
Stats: 200/172/120
WOE: Atkins, Weston Price, Bernstein
What causes the damage?

Is it just having diabetes or is it the blood sugar levels themselves? If it's the blood sugar levels then is it the high fasting that's so bad? Or is it spikes after eating? If my fasting glucose ranges from 102-112 will that cause diabetic damage and make it harder for me to heal if I maintain my bg levels under 118 at the highest all day? I feel like I am not sure what my goals need to be here and what it is that causes all the damage.
saponaria is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I read a pretty authoritative study on diabetic kidney damage recently that suggested that keeping it under 135 post meals was pretty safe. As far as I can see, those levels look good. But I believe Dr. Bernstein in Diabetes Solution makes a case for keeping the levels lower than that. I'm not sure there is a consensus in the medical community.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I don't know all the numbers, but I know a man who has lived with diabetes longer than I've been alive and he looks 20 years younger than his actual age cause he controls it so well through diet and careful insulin checking.

I know a different man closer to my age who looks older than the previous guy. Not as good at taking care himself, and watching what he eats and checking his sugars.

I'd say it's probably not the disease but how you manage it that does the most damage or lack of damage.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hpjrt
This explanation may be too simplistic, but it was how the CDA nurse explained it to me.

When your blood glucose numbers are high, your insulin isn't doing it's job and the sugar/glucose molecule is sitting atop of the blood molecule ... and since the sugar molecule is like a crystal with lots of sharp edges, they can damage veins, arteries etc.

When your numbers are low, the insulin IS doing its job and more of the sugar/glucose molecules have merged into the blood molecule, where they should be and are less likely to cause damage.

The disease of Diabetes is the cause of your insulin's difficulty in doing what it's supposed to do ... but by keeping your numbers lower, you minimize the potential damage.

I realize that this IS really simplistic, but it sure made an impression on me!
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BillB
Stats: 450+/293/200................ A1C: 12.4--->5.2
WOE: Atkins/VLC/Alternate Day--1g Metformin twice a day
Start Date: Last restart, June 2009 at 450+
Quote:
Originally Posted by saponaria View Post
Is it just having diabetes or is it the blood sugar levels themselves? If it's the blood sugar levels then is it the high fasting that's so bad? Or is it spikes after eating? If my fasting glucose ranges from 102-112 will that cause diabetic damage and make it harder for me to heal if I maintain my bg levels under 118 at the highest all day? I feel like I am not sure what my goals need to be here and what it is that causes all the damage.
It sounds like you are doing a great job.

Since you are pregnant, you need to be especially careful about your blood glucose, and post-partum, you may find that your BG numbers wil come down on their own. But...don't be afraid to tell people you have to be "extra careful" with what you eat right now. Of course, you are "eating for two" as the old saying goes, but even more so because of your blood glucose situation. Gestational diabetes is something a lot of people are aware of (and dang well better be sensitive about) so they should be considerate and helpful to you. If your inner b*tch is out of practice or a little shy, I will loan you mine. She's been getting a lot of practice lately, and she'll be happy to speak up for you and your baby.

--bill
"I read this book about how some scientists tried to get primates to paint. For 10 years they worked on it, and nothing happened. Then, one of the monkeys suddenly began to paint, and what it painted were the bars of its cage. So, in my writing, I believe I'm painting the bars of my cage so that I can get out. This is something you have to get done before you can meaningfully move on in any way."--Ferron
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Marvin
Stats: WT=410/345/225?
WOE: Atkins induction, Bernstein
Start Date: Which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post

If your inner b*tch is out of practice or a little shy, I will loan you mine. She's been getting a lot of practice lately, and she'll be happy to speak up for you and your baby.

--bill
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jonoandemsmom
saponaria, I had gestational diabetes 16 years ago with my youngest child. I followed the 1,800 cal diabetec diet (didn't know any other way) and took insulin. As soon as I delivered my baby, the diabetes went away. The first thing I ordered was a COKE! They told me if I didn't lose weight, I would be diabetic within 5 years so i guess I was a little cocky when that didn't happen. Then out of the blue, I became diabetic 16 years later. Not so cocky now. All I can say is watch your diet and if you are over weight, get it off. This isn't fun.
jonoandemsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Welcome to LCF, wishing the best for you and control of diabetes....
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonoandemsmom View Post
saponaria, I had gestational diabetes 16 years ago with my youngest child. I followed the 1,800 cal diabetec diet (didn't know any other way) and took insulin. As soon as I delivered my baby, the diabetes went away. The first thing I ordered was a COKE! They told me if I didn't lose weight, I would be diabetic within 5 years so i guess I was a little cocky when that didn't happen. Then out of the blue, I became diabetic 16 years later. Not so cocky now. All I can say is watch your diet and if you are over weight, get it off. This isn't fun.
With me, the first thing I ate (after being the PERFECT Gestational Diabetic patient)- was a TWO POUND bag of M & M's. Like you, I was cocky. 12 years later it caught up with me, too. I wish I had it to do over again; but since I can't go backwards- I can just work with what I have now and try to minimize the damage. Low carb for life; it's not a diet for me, but a new way of eating forever.
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
I remember seeing a talk show many years ago, where some guy was saying that the damage is done when there is a high and then when the blood sugar comes back to normal and the blood is moving through is when it damages the vessels.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote