Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Wow, Diana, it's great to see the quick turnaround in your outlook! I think you are among kindred souls who also see the diabetes as a blessing in disguise. It really makes you sit up and pay attention to what's going in the ole bod.

As a fellow cake lover, I have a solution for your cake dilemma:
1. Make your own personal low carb cake to take with you, and make it really delish. (Dana Carpender has some great recipes, and you can look up the "three minute chocolate cake recipe" here on the forum.)
2. Really stoke up on veggies and dip and other LC foods before cake eatin' time rolls around. Drink lots of water or no sugar beverage too.

That approach got me through some pretty dicey holiday/party situations in the past year.

At Christmas there was a huge sugar cookie tray right in the middle of the room that I could not stop staring at the whole night (kinda like a heroin addict around drugs really) but I made it through due to getting really full on broccoli and turkey and also having my homemade LC cinnamon nuts with me. I ate a little more than in a normal day but did not go off program. My blood sugar never got higher than 130. (My diabetic sister ate a sugar cookie and ended up around 240 blood sugar).

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #242
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristiansMom View Post
So what is this SF puddling and cream cheese that you speak of? Do you make the pudding like normal but mix in the cream cheese or top it with it? I need details
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]It is deLIGHTful, I tell you!!

I make it either of two ways: One, I buy the sugar-free pudding in a box, flavors lowest in carb is vanilla, cheesecake (wink, wink), or my fav, WHITE CHOCOLATE. There are others, but these are ones I buy. For 1/4 the box (a serving) the carb content is 6, I believe, so with cream or cream cheese it'll add 1-2 more carbs, for no more than about 8 total.

If I use cream, it's a straight substitution for the milk or water the mix calls for... 2 cups then divide into 4 servings.

If I use cream cheese, it is a much denser mix, and I use an 8oz. block to a box of mix, again dividing into 4 servings. (You could mix the cream by hand, but the cream cheese will probably need a mixer.)

I don't add anything else but there are so many combinations/variations you could use! It is delicious and addictive, so beware temptation to eat the whole freakin' thing in one sitting! BUT, if you divvy it up and put away the other servings (you better HIDE them LOL) then you won't feel as tempted.

To save carbs and calories, if you can find Calorie Countdown in your area, it is a suitable substitute for the liquid additive as well. If you haven't ever heard of it, but you find milk too high in carbs, you might give it a try. It is yummy and a perfect milk alternative, if you can find it locally.[/COLOR]

Quote:
You are doing awesome! You are an inspiration and I'm here cheering you on like I know you are cheering me on. I have ALOT more to lose than you ever did or do but hopefully I'm on my way down and not looking back up anytime soon.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Aww, thank you!! Cheering you on? You know it! I have faced the need to lose weight for many years now, it's a daunting thought. I never believed I'd lose! I have dieted and slipped back to regular eating time and again; eating low carb is the only thing that I have been successful at and found livable for me.[/COLOR]

Quote:
Right now I can't picture eating regular cakes, cookies or whatever but I know the temptation is going to be there and soon. My family (not my DH or DS) are huge sweets eaters. We spend alot of time with my nieces, nephews, sister, brothers etc and I can't even begin to tell you what kind of stuff they always have out for gatherings. Christmas is a nightmare - one whole table filled to the top with junk food and most of the stuff won't even fit on one table - so it sits on the kitchen counter too. My nephew and his new wife are both skinny as can be but love their chocolate too and have a huge bowl of it sitting out every time we come over. Cookies, cakes, pies, candy, sodas, chips.. you name it, they all have it out. We have a birthday or holiday every single month in our family so we go out to eat or get together and then it's cake time. Cake is my weakness above anything else. I love cake. I know it's going to be hard but I need to have a plan ahead of time for those situations. I don't know right now but I'm thinking about it. Thankfully we aren't getting together for Memorial Day but my sister's birthday is right after that. I'm sure in the future I'll be able to work in a very small slice one every few months but I feel REALLY vulnerable right now.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Oh, yes, and those situations will be forever out there... Some weeks I "miss" one thing more than another, and when I'm eating out it's potatoes or rolls, or when I'm at a holiday gathering it's cake or cookies or other tempting goodies. Eating before going to a gathering where the cakes and stuff will be... That helps and you won't be starving for something "legal" to eat. And like Mermaid mentioned, make your own! It's much better for you, if you going to eat higher carbs, that you eat something say, at 8 carbs (like the pudding) rather than 36 carbs (like a piece of sugary cake, and that's probably being generous).[/COLOR]

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean about the meter. I didn't realize there were different types. The one I have is called Soft Touch (I think.. it's in the other room) and it came with a little pouch. It has a pencil looking thing and lancets and the little test strips. I put the test strip in the meter, poke myself with the spring-loaded "gun" (lol) and then place it next to the strip and it reads it instantly. My DH and DS are DYING to try it on themselves but I'm afraid that it's keeping track of my readings and I don't want my doctor to scold me for letting them use it.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]LOL, isn't that funny? And WE would rather we'd never seen the darned thing!! Didn't mean to confuse you with the meter question, but there are different brands and types, and some people like this one or that versus others. I think many here have the Soft Touch, I have a couple of their meters, and they seem to be pretty accurate too.

If you let DS or DH test themselves, give each their own test strip and their own lancet. Do you know how to "mark" a test as a "control" test (read your meter's booklet). If you make DS or DH's tests as control tests, their reading will *not* accidentally get mixed in with your readings; the meter will ignore the test marked "control."[/COLOR]

Quote:
Wow, I talk alot..huh?
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Shhh, don't tell anyone and they won't notice...

Besides, talking is GOOD. It lets off steam, you retain more when you write it down (I do), and it lets you bounce thoughts & ideas off of others in a trusting, supportive environment.

I hope everyone talks a lot!

Karyn[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #243
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: ChristiansMom
Stats: :( :| :)
WOE: HFLC
Thanks again for all the support and kind words. I can't even tell you all how much I appreciate it. I'm at a loss of words which is rare for me

I'm going to check into the LC dessert section and see what I can find for those hard days of cravings in the future.

We didn't have anything planned for this weekend but now we've been invited to my nephew's for a BBQ on Sunday and I'm about to face my first real task of staying on track. They are providing all the foods and preparing them so I'm concerned. I've decided that I'm going to take a veggie platter, strawberries, my own meat (don't want to chance that they will make something with sugar-laced BBQ sauce), some bottled water with crystal light to go packs and a little container of my own mock strawberry/almond cheesecake mix so that if I'm overwhelmed by all the sweets they will have out - I can have a spoon of that stuff to stop the urge. I've only told my father and sister about my diabetes and I'm still trying to accept it myself so I'm not quite ready to tell anyone else in the family just yet - so my nephew doesn't know.

Would any of you be willing to share with me a typical daily menu of what you eat with portion sizes included? It would be really helpful to get an idea of the sizes you all are eating, how often and what type of meal items you enjoy. No recipes or anything needed (unless I beg you after I hear it ) I just need an idea on if I'm on the right path with my meals. Thanks!

So do any of you have plans for this weekend?
in the origin of your Light.
Matthew 5:14-16

ChristiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #244

Laura - regarding the glucose tabs (from the 300+ thread)..

I must not fully understand some elements of diabetes. I assumed that diabetes means you have high blood sugar issues but now I'm learning it's low blood sugars as well (correct?).

So the glucose tabs would be for someone who's blood sugar is too low (right?) Do most people with high blood sugar end up having low blood sugar often too? I guess my mind can't wrap itself around that notion. I'm diabetic because my test twice showed a high blood sugar level so I'm doing everything I can to keep it in a normal range (90-110) so I guess I can't imagine right now ever having a need for glucose tabs because I'm working so hard just to keep it down. Wouldn't someone with low blood sugar just need to eat a cookie and be o.k.? (ignorant here)

Is Insulin needed for people who's blood sugars are often high or often low or both? If someone can keep their blood sugars in a good range, would they be able to avoid needing it?

One last thing.. when we eat, anything at all, our blood sugars go up - right? But when you eat the right things, they should come back down and stabilize, right? That's why we test to see if they are back in a normal range 2 hours after eating (or whatever amount of time).. right?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to figure this stuff out.

edited to add - the RN did tell me to keep some hard candy or glucose tabs in my purse and I bought some hard candy for that reason but couldn't picture when I would ever need it.

Last edited by ChristiansMom; 05-24-2007 at 02:57 PM..
Old 05-24-2007, 04:39 PM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

It takes an excess of insulin to make blood sugars low. Usually it is only diabetics on drugs or insulin that experience low blood sugars due to taking meds that act to lower blood sugar but may go too far. I was very happy to find that almost no matter what I do, as a med-free low-carb diabetic, I do not get low blood sugar. It has gone as low as 65 a very few times, but that is not a dangerous level at all--my legs just get a little rubbery. When BS gets below 80, you can drink a small can of V-8 to bring it up to normal without going too high. It acts just as quickly as a glucose tablet, but is actually good for you, with potassium and vitamins that perk you up.

Insulin is required for body functions, so if you don't make enough, then you have to supplement insulin. According to Dr. Atkins, it is wrong to give Type II diabetics (insulin resistant) insulin, it just compounds their problems since they are already making too much that just isn't getting utilized.

Yes, insulin is secreted whenever you eat, but when you are low-carbing, it is only a small amount to cover maybe a 20 or 30 point rise in blood sugar. Therefore, your little pancreas gets a much needed break, and maybe might regenerate somewhat. It is your best possible chance for avoiding needing insulin some day.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:17 AM   #246

Thanks Lorena, that helps explain some of it to me

I meant to check in here yesterday but it was a pretty 'blah' day for me.

I went to the doctors in the morning and she is very happy with the steps I've taken. She said she was impressed because none of her patients have ever lowered their numbers like I have managed to do in such a short period of time. She doesn't want to change anything at this point and told me to just schedule an appointment to see her in 6 months. I still need to test twice a day and eat like I've been eating. No medication or anything like that. She said I was eating perfectly for a diabetic but since I mentioned about my weight, she said that I might want to ease up on the bacon/fat intake if that was my goal but she didn't push it and said for me not to worry, it would come off in time with my new eating.

I asked about all of my other testings and she said they were all fine and actually my cholesterol was really good - which surprised me because I expected that to be bad.

I was disappointed though to see that I had only lost 1 pound in the 2 weeks since I started eating LC. Frustrating to say the least. I was exhausted when I got home since I got very little sleep the night before and was feeling down - so I took an overly long nap. It's really not fair, I thought I had lost more and was excited to get on the scale but then my balloon was popped when I saw the numbers looking back at me.

My husband is going to measure me tomorrow and I'll check them again in a month. I should have measured before I started but I didn't.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

Christian's Mom--Focus on feeling good and low blood sugars rather than weight loss for the time being. To lose more weight, gradually lower your carbs. I can't lose on more than 20 grams carbs per day, and even then very slowly. Exercise helps a lot too. Another thing to try is to not eat more than about 25 grams of protein at a time.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:05 AM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/196.2/145
WOE: JUDDD/(combined with WW-type foods)
Start Date: Highest wt: 246/ Start JUDDD 8/18/2014 @ 209.8
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I've been busy trying to figure out my insurance requirements for obtaining a meter and test strips, etc...., and of course, like many others that have logged on here......this is all so new to me. I found out about a month ago that I am diabetic, and so many of you here were so helpful and informative; (I CAN"T THANK YOU ENOUGH!) It took me awhile to finally get a meter, but I got one last night; (I got the One Touch Ultra Mini.....I was confused at first, but now I think I am understanding how to use it). I guess you could say I was having a hard time accepting the fact that I AM diabetic, and overwhelmed with the confusion! ChristiansMom - I know how you feel; but at least you got a meter and started testing right away.......(not like me ).

I have been maintaining my low-carb diet, (as I have since 1998). For those of you who don't know the history......I have had hypothyroidism for the past 15 years with no major problems on the medicines that I have been taking, up until two years ago when my thyroid became enlarged and they found tumors growing on it. My metabolism basically shut down, and while sticking to low-carb ( <20 grams of carbs a day), and working out intensely 6 days a week, I still gained 55-60 pounds because of my thyroid. This put so much strain on my body, that the weight gain caused my blood sugars to go up, which stressed my pancreas, etc. and brought on diabetes!......LUCKY ME! So my Endocrinologist has been slowly increasing my meds, and my weight is starting to drop off a little bit with the continued intense exercise and diet. So my thyroid levels are getting closer to the normal range, which should help me lose the weight with all the exercising I have been doing. But once a diabetic..........always a diabetic! So here I am!

I started testing my blood glucose last night.........I was so nervous.....but I think I am doing okay so far. My Endo will see me in July and determine whether or not I need to be on meds, so this will be a good way to keep track of my blood sugars. My numbers were actually great, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I caught the flu and was throwing up on Tues., and then yesterday I was eating....but I still have diarrhea from the flu. Here are my numbers:

BEFORE DINNER - around 6:30pm: 90 mg/dl (I had a grilled chicken salad for lunch & jello snack @ 2:30 in the afternoon, prior to my first test).
2 HOURS AFTER DINNER (Chinese): 99 mg/dl
(Had a flax muffin before bedtime).
FASTING GLUCOSE @ 4:30 am this morning: 95 mg/dl

Has anyone here ever had the stomach flu as a diabetic.........and could you share with us if your numbers were better or worse during that time? I don't have anything to compare it to, since I just so happened to start testing during the week that I had the flu?!?!?! I was really happy with my numbers so far, but I would like to know if these numbers are tainted due to the flu bug! Thank you to anyone who may know!

1998 - 246 lbs.-Highest weight Pre-Atkins. Lost 70 lbs on Atkins, and kept it off for years. Then gained some back (225) when I stopped doing low-carb. Did WW (225 - 209.8)/Started JUDDD 8/18/14 @ 209.8 lbs!
Old 06-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, your numbers are excellent. Yes, they are higher when you get sick, sometimes dramatically higher, and it's alarming. So if you were sick during these readings, then it means that soon you might be having straight on 80-s, and that is NORMAL. By the way, some diabetics do get cured.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #250

If you haven't eaten for 12 hours and then test, wouldn't you expect your numbers to be really low?

Due to some bad planning on my part, I didn't get around to eating for 12 hours and tested right before I ate. My number was 136. I expected it to be in the 110-120 range but was a little alarmed to see it was 136 considering how long I hadn't eaten.

This is going to sound stupid but if your body is burning stored fat, would that also raise your blood sugar levels?

Rest assured, this won't be happening again! I've been really good about eating my set 3 meals and at least 1 snack per day. This was just a rare situation.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:43 AM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Diana,
There is a phenomenon called gluconeogenisis whereby your liver manufactures glucose from carbs, fat, or protein. Then, when it is stimulated via stress, hormones, or the "dawn phenomenon" it will squirt all of that gooey glucose into your blood stream. It happens to me all of the time. In fact, when I first get up, my BS in about 92. After walking one mile, before eating anything, it is usually around 115. Why? Because the exercise stimulated my liver to secrete glucose.

The good news is that those "glucose squirts" will usually only raise you 20-30 points, and if you keep exercising you will burn that up and bring it down to 85 (normal). Then it takes the liver another whole day to manufacture that glucose again.

You asked if burning stored fat raises glucose. Only indirectly, via gluconeogenesis. Mostly what is happening though is that your body breaks the fat down into ketones, which it uses directly as fuel. When you are burning fat, you are in a ketogenic state, living off ketones rather than glucose. In the book, Mastering Leptin, they say that we should aim to be in a ketogenic state every night at bedtime for the best balance of our leptin and other hormones, including insulin.

To sum up: Your liver will squirt glucose in the mornings, and during exercise or stress (fasting is a type of stress). Just exercise it off or take meds (I take Geromatrix, progesterone, vanadium, and ALA) to bring it down. Then it will take your liver maybe another day to make more glucose to squirt out.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #252

Lorena, you are just a wealth of information! Thank you for explaining that to me! I need you to come live at my house

That makes me feel a bit better and now I know to just exercise it off. As for the medication - are those over the counter or did your doctor prescribe them?

Also, would anyone be willing to share with me one day of their eating diet so I can get an idea of what amounts and types of food you are eating and are able to keep your BS down with? Just one day out of your journal maybe with times too. Pretty please?
Old 06-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Diana-The supplements I take are just from online research and trying things out. I have never gone to a doctor for my diabetes--no insurance and can't afford it. I have to treat myself and I'm very careful doing it. I have a biology degree that helps me be able to understand the studies I read, etc.

Sample menu
B:2 scrambled eggs in butter with LC veggies, sometimes cheese, sometimes 1 sausage patty. tea/cream and splenda
L: medium-sized chef's salad with homemade mustard dressing
D: shirataki spaghetti with meat sauce (no sugar), parmesan cheese

I like to work in a little fruit (strawberries!), flax bread, and goat yogurt here and there, but have to be very sparing due to carb content. I try not to snack, but if I do it's very small, like a cup of almond milk, handful of marcona almonds (check'em out-they're awesome).

I have also started to cycle Atkins/******* to actually lose weight. I'll do another week or two of ******* very soon to drop 10 pounds. The best chance I have of curing my diabetes is to lose all the extra fat, which happens too slowly on the Atkins diet, even when carbs are below 10g/day.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #254

Thanks Lorena for the sample menu, that gives me a great idea on if I'm maybe eating too much at one time.

I keep hearing about ******* but know nothing about it. I didn't realize that Atkins is a slow way of losing fat - I thought it was the opposite.

My problem is evening snacking. It's a horrible habit and I'm not sure how to stop or where/how to summons the willpower to stop. I've been sticking to things I 'believe' I can have like beef jerky, SF jello/pudding, nuts and string cheese but I know I need to get a handle on it.

When I did LC (Atkins) the first two times, I seemed to lose the most and do the best when I ate something small every 2-3 hours or so. Breakfast, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Snack.

Right now I'm not sure I'm making good choices:
Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs in 1 tsp canola butter. 3 strips of microwaved bacon (love that it's not greasy and is very crispy), a little veggies (1-2 broccoli or a few slices of cucumber) and maybe 1 strawberry but not always.

Lunch: Either 1 skinless chicken breast or 2 cheese dogs (no buns) and a small spinach salad with a radish and a slice of cucumber plus about 1 tbsp of ranch dressing. Sometimes I also have a string cheese with lunch.

Snack: string cheese (I am addicted )

Dinner: Either another skinless chicken breast or some sort of steak/beef with another small salad like at lunch or some frozen green beans.

Snack: SF jello or pudding with 1 tbsp SF cool whip and 1 tsp sliced almonds. Or a handful of mixed nuts or a handful of sunflower seeds or a few piece of beef jerky.

I'm drinking at least 10 8oz glasses of water a day and trying to get in at least 10-15 minutes of walking on the treadmill.

I'm not a big regular cheese eater but string cheese is my downfall because it's so easy to grab and go when I'm feeling like I'm hungry. I find myself eating 2-4 of them a day. It's the same way with those beef cheese dogs by Oscar Mayer. So easy to nuke them and go. Our family is always on the 'go' with my son's sports activities and before it was easy and normal to just run through drive-thru and pick something up - I do not do that anymore so now I'm falling back on to the string cheese and cheese dogs and I know alot of people say that's not good but I do not know what else to do.

I was upset that this morning my reading was 171 after sleeping a full night and fasting for 8-9 hours. I guess I did too much snacking last night before bed. I'm going to need to learn to change that.

Thanks again for posting the sample menu!

I'm trying to make up a menu for this week so I can go food shopping in a few moments.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jewels
Just a note...it's not just what you eat but how much.
I think very small meals more often work real good.

I personally eat 8x a day but just a snack each time. Works for me but I'm only prediabetic and not on any meds.

Exercise, exercise, exercise!!!
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6-14-03
Just a quick update. In January I saw my (now ex-) endocrinologist. He had me using byetta, and I was having lows, and highs, blah blah blah. Fast forward to last week when I saw my new doc that seems to more get it that using frosting is not a good way to manage my blood sugar levels. My A1c last week was 5.0. In January it was 6.0. During much of the past few years since finding Atkins it had hovered in the low to mid 5 range, which was good, I didn't complain. But I was so happy to find the recent changes I'd made since January had brought my A1c back down so nicely. Also my cholesterol had improved significantly. In January the old doc thought I should consider cholesterol meds, I decided to change docs, and go back to my earlier W.O.E. and see how that worked out. I may not be losing weight, but I am definitely improving my health and well being.

I don't post very much these days, but I do read regularly. I appreciate all the support that has developed on this thread.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Diana,
I would be distressed too to have a 171 fasting reading. Definitely do need a change there. It might be just eating too much at night. I recommend Mastering Leptin by Byron Richards to explain why that is harmful to your system.

Your menu actually looks pretty spartan to me compared to a lot of Atkins dieters. Some things stand out as a possible triggers: the cheese dog thingies, jerky, salad dressing (if commercial), and jello. I'm pretty sure they're loaded with MSG (a strong appetite stimulant) and other chemicals, and for diabetics those things can be BS spikers. Try eating "clean": unprocessed meats, eggs, steamed veggies with butter, salads with home made dressing, and of course the nuts and cheese you like. I don't even see a problem with having four ounces of string cheese a day. The jello some people can get away with, and some can't.

Overall, you are doing very well. Like all of us have had to do, you just have to learn how certain foods affect you personally, and adjust your habits accordingly. It takes a little time, but you'll get the hang of it. You might consider trying some supplements as well.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #258

Hi Lorena,

Thanks for the words of encouragement - sometimes I still feel pretty lost on if I'm doing things wrong or right so it's nice to have a place to come and air it all out and get some words of advice from those who have been here before me. I plan on cutting out the cheese dogs, the jerky and the salad dressing this coming week. I only had a little jello and can easily stop eating it - it was the pudding that was my downfall I think.

I went shopping today for this weeks menu and I did not buy any of those above mentioned things. I'm going to stick to pretty basic stuff - meat, cheese, eggs, a small amount of salad (plain), nuts and various veggies. The pudding thing is going to have to stop for now. When you've been so use to eating any sweets you want (very bad habit) and endulging often it's hard to break from the cravings and the SF stuff made me feel like I wasn't missing out while still feeling like I wasn't 'cheating'. I think next month I may allow myself that one treat, once a week - if my blood sugars are looking normal and it doesn't have a huge impact on it when I do start allowing myself that treat.

I talked to my DH tonight and worked out some things with him as far as my goals and what I want to work on this coming month. Exercise is at the top of the list and cutting out those BS spikers is right up there too.

Two questions - I've never been a supplement taker. I use to take a multi-vitamin but always felt sick to my stomach and had a huge headache after taking it .. so then I tried taking it at night before bed but I kept forgetting so I stopped completely. I really would prefer not having to take a bunch of pills every day - mainly because I can't afford it. Would it be o.k. if I just took a 1-a-day multi-vitamin or the Woman's 1-a-day?

Also, when you say unprocessed meats, when you do mean? Again, I can't afford anything too fancy which is making this WOE really difficult but somehow I'm managing. Here is the meat I eat - if any of you see something that I should be omitting, please let me know.
Bacon
Sausage
Canadian Bacon/Ham
Carne Asada
Pork Chops
Ribeye Steaks
Chicken Breasts
Tuna
Hamburgers
Meatballs (homemade with ground beef)
Shrimp
Turkey
Chorizo
Hot dogs (cutting them out for now though)
Pepperoni (haven't started eating them yet but might in the future)

That's about all I can think of. I'm not a fish person unless it's breaded and since that is out of the question, I just do not eat fish anymore except Tuna and Shrimp.

Sorry for all the questions :blush: & thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #259

dee - that is awesome! Keep up the great work - I haven't had an A1c test yet, I don't think but I'm sure they will give me one when I go back to my doctors in 6 months. I'm seriously confused on that test though. No idea what it is or what it means or anything.

Anyhow, just wanted to say that I think it's great that you were able to bring it down and I hope you continue to succeed with your testing!
Old 06-03-2007, 04:12 AM   #260

Spam anyone?
Old 06-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Diana,
I think you'll find that clean eating is pretty affordable. A big bag of salad, a bag of chicken breasts, some ground beef, a bag of string cheese and a couple dozen eggs can go a long way. If you shop at Costco it's even more affordable.

A multivitamin would be better than nothing, assuming that you tolerate it okay. Definitely don't take anything that makes you feel sick. Two things about the one-a-day type vitamins: They use very cheap and hard to assimilate sources, and they don't have enough calcium and magnesium, which are two very important minerals that we need lots of. Therefore, I also do think it's good to take coral calcium with magnesium plus the multivitamin to really cover your bases. My favorite multivitamin is Alive multi by Nature's Way since it's from natural sources and includes some superfoods in it. They recommend 3 pills per day, but one or two would be sufficient since it's absorbable. I pay $20 per 180 bottle. The coral calcium w/magnesium is $10 per 180. If I told you where I got it, my post would be erased, sorry.

Now let's talk salad dressings. Did you know that eating salad with some type of fat or oil helps your body digest and assimilate the nutrients from the salad? Naked salads, while noble-sounding, are not a good idea for that reason, and also because you would soon get bored with it and actually dread eating it. Keep your tastebuds and digestive system happy with a good quality homemade dressing. Here are two recipes:

Ranch:
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup buttermilk
1T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 T parsley (optional)

To further simplify, you could leave out the sour cream and mayo, and just use buttermilk and olive oil. It keeps about two weeks. buttermilk is only about 5 carbs per cup because the cultures convert most of the milk sugar.

Sweet mustard dressing:
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup olive oil
1 T good mustard (no sugar)
2 T apple cider or rice vinegar (no sugar)
2-3 packs Splenda (more or less to taste)
poppy seeds (optional)

These do not require a blender. Just shake in a jar or mix with a utensil. I also occasionally make a Catalina dressing that's great.

I kinda feel like I'm taking over this thread again. I hope some others will jump in and give their opinions. The more the merrier.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abbott
Start Date: April 2000
I'm always reading the posts but do not find the time to respond as I should.

My experience is that after several months without foods that you crave and no items with sugar your desire is almost completely gone or if you do get a craving you can control that very easily. Of course this said I have never been a sweets person. We always enjoyed bread and that is the item for us that we do not eat and always say no to any desire for it....it really is a trigger for both of us.

I find that the simpler I do meals the easiser to count the carbs/protein and fat. I am also very busy during the day and do not like to spend time in the kitchen even though I do enjoy cooking. Getting hungry is a trigger for me to eat too much or the wrong thing and I work hard to stay away from that. However when I am busy I do not seem to get as hungry. I do drink alot of water when I am busy ouside. Here is a sample of what I eat:

Breakfast:
A cup of coffee with 1 scoop of 'Big Train" hot chocolate and 1-2 Boar sugar free hot dogs. (5 carbs with 12 g protein - I have to have protein or fat with carbs.
Sometimes its the coffee/chocolate with 2 eggs and bacon.

Lunch:
Tuna salad with lots of celery in it. Sometimes on a bed of greens
My substitution for this is homemade soup. I make several kinds and freeze in one serving containers so it is easy to pull out and heat up. Low carbs and high fat for the soup.

Dinner :
Almost always have 6-8 oz of meat and a big green salad. Sometimes substitute a vegetable (My husband is not crazy about vegetables and I am)
I work hard to make the salad different each night and look great. I either use spinich, spring mix or romaine for the greens. Slice of tomatoe, some green onions or red, olives, hot or mild pepper, green/red peppers, bacon chopped, sliced hard egg, pickle, cheese cut up in cubes or strips, avocado or guacomola-homemade are the items I use to garnish the greens. Once a week I use the leftover meat and canadian bacon to make a chef salad. Salad dressings are usually homemade -olive oil, vinegar, and seasonings. If it is commercial we make sure it says 2 or less carbs per serving.

The meat is usually grilled chicken thigh, pork chop, steak, baked salmon. Last night we had baked cod to die for and I am not a fish eater. Covered cod in pan with a thin mixture of mayonaise, touch mustard, and shredded parmasean cheese mixed together and spread. Sprinkled with dill and pine nuts. Baked 20 minutes. Wow!

I feel presentation is important to feel like you are enjoying your meal. Many times I put the salad and the meat on the same plate and use the garnishes to ensure it looks great -just like in a fancy restaurant. No seconds unless you get up from the table and this also makes a lot less dishes to clean. We never leave the table stuffed or hungry.

Snack:
Our snack is nuts. We count out the correct # for a serving and put it in a dish so that we do not overeat. It is very filling and quick to grab when you need that extra. We always have a can in the car for when we are on the road. It has saved me many times.

I am never afraid of eating the good fats as I know my body does better with a higher fat to protein and carb percentages and my blood sugar does not go up with fat. Fats also fill me up quickly and I eat less and do not get hungry as quickly. However, I do watch the calories and try to maintain it at the range I need.

I hope this gives you some ideas. Everyone is so different in what works for them. You have to come up with what your body and YOU can live with and feel good about it.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Lorena (Mermaid)
That was really interesting to me about your information on gluconeogenisis. I had never heard about this. Have you seen anything else about it in materials other than Mastering Leptin?

I have gotten so frustrated about my BS climbing throughout the day when I work extra hard outside and I know it is not what I am eating. I try lots of extra water and this doesn't seem to help. I can go up 20-40 points. Did discover that the R-ALA (3-4 caps) can stall the raise in BS if I take them every 3-4 hours. It also seems to take a couple of days to bring it back to my average BS and this always happens at night when my BS usually doesn't change. Interesting to note at the same time my BP goes down and so low that I have to go off of all BP medication for the next several days (Dr. even recommended that).

You mentioned taking Geromatrix to bring your BS down. My Naturalpath had me on it as well as several other things and my body did not react to it at all.

I am begining to feel that my pancreas is getting so tired that it is really struggling to help keep the BS down. How long following meals does it take for your BS to come back to what it was prior?? It takes mine around 4-5 hours or more and the raise from a meal is usually around 30-40 points.

When I am testing I rarely see my BS over 160. However, since January I struggle to get it below 125. My A1C is March was 6.8 up from 6.2. I am taking 1,500mg metformin (two years) and am taking a lot of the R-ALA (still experimenting with how to effectively use it).
Old 06-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Abbott,
I have read about gluconeogenesis (also called glucogenesis) in several diabetes books. I'm pretty sure it was also in Protein Power, and would come up on a Google search. Most of what I have read came from the library so I have no references to point people to.

I really wish I could help you concerning your baffling rise in blood sugar. It must have been a real blow to see your A1C at 6.8--too high for optimum health. I really just don't know why. There are two Geromatrix blood sugar supplements. I'm hoping that the one that did not work for you was the one in the big bottle. Did you try the little tiny pills in the little tiny bottle? If you didn't, that's the one I take that is remarkably effective. They also recently improved the formula. I have not tried the new forumula yet, but will next week.

My blood sugar, once up, tends to stay up too. It can take a whole 24 hours to come down unless I exercise it off or take my herbs/ALA. Excercise has to be over an hour to actually see the number go down instead of up.

From a Layman's point of view, it has to be either your pancreas pooping out, or becoming more insulin resistant. The only thing in your menu that stands out to me as being a potential problem is the Big Train stuff. I remember rejecting that for some reason one time, but I don't remember what I didn't like in the ingredients.

What is your weight? If you still have extra weight, you may have to lose it before seeing an improvement, and it might be an uncomfortable process (hunger, nausea). I had to resort to ******* to lose weight, but it did bring my blood sugars down an average of 5 to 10 points less in only 10 days. That was encouraging.

One more idea: take lots of gymnema sylvestre. I read some studies available online that did show a significant increase in pancreatic beta cells after only a few weeks of taking it. It's not expensive, and maybe would help after a time.

Good luck. Hope you keep posting.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Lorena thanks for the reply. I will check out your other sources for glucogenesis. Hoping it might give me further ideas on what is happening with the BS and exercise. I am usually active throughout the day with fairly heavy gardening and up and down our hill at least 6 days a week. When that turns to pushing myself hard (continuous breathing hard and exhausted when I am finished with a project) is when the BS goes up and stays there for 2-3 days. I do not do a regular exercise program because of how active I am outside each day and the work that I need to get done.

I have checked several times and the 'Big Train' chocolate with the coffee raises the BS only a couple of points between the 1-2 hours after so I have not worried about it. No change in BS when I add the hot dog.

I weigh 287. Getting it down is almost impossible. In 2000 I was 311 and I bring it down a pinch at a time. The only time I was able to do more was the fat fast which was really hard for me to stabilize the weight loss. I currently figure that I can go down about 1-2 lbs a month if I keep myself around 1,000 to 1,2000 calories. I do agree that the weight has to come down. With no cravings and doing low carb you (I) would think I could do it. Maybe I should go back and give this another try. It has been awhile since I have tried the fat fast.

Thanks for the suggestion on the glymnema sylvestre and the new formula for geromatrix. I will give this a try. I am determined that I am going to get this BS turned around.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #266

Lorena - Please don't feel like you are taking over this board. I'm not sure what many of us would do it you didn't post as often as you do with such great advice and information. I'm starting to feel like I'm taking over with all my questions but who knows, maybe someone is lurking and it's helping to answer theirs as well.

Thank you for the salad dressing recipes. I'm going to save them in a file right now so I can make them myself. I've been using the store bought ranch and it has 3 sugars in it per serving but I'm going to use your recipe and see how I like it.

I will also look for those vitamins you mentioned. We have one of those big chain vitamin stores at our local mall, maybe they carry them there. If not, maybe that other store that carries all the unique foods and such (TJ's).
I've just started looking into the ******* plan and thinking about trying that 5 day experiment thing to jump start myself into a good eating plan. What is your opinion on the water fast over the weekend for someone with diabetes? I've never fasted in my life but have always considered it. I was thinking of trying the water fast next weekend from Friday night until Sunday night but wasn't sure if that would be wise (also not sure how I would test correctly). For now I'm not going to do it until I research it more but I am going to try the K/E plan for 5 days.

Abbott - thanks for the menu sample as well. It's very helpful to see what other people are eating and doing well with.

We BBQ'd Carne Asada last night and I made homemade guacamole (picked out the tomatoes in my serving). OMG it was so delicious I wanted to eat more but I stopped myself with a promise of having a snack later if I was still hungry but I never got around to having the snack which was just as well - I didn't need it. Amazingly I didn't even crave the tortillas that my DH and DS had with theirs nor the beans. It was a nice meal that we ate outside.

Today we BBQ'd Ribeye & Grilled Squash and Red Peppers. Very yummy too! My DH and DS had garlic breadsticks which are one of my downfalls but I didn't even have an urge to have one. I was very happy with my small piece of steak and veggies.

I need to go boil some eggs for this week but I'll be back later.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far!

I have a TON of house cleaning to do this week (major spring cleaning being done) so I'm not sure how often I'll be around to post.

Thanks again for all the help

Last edited by ChristiansMom; 06-03-2007 at 07:05 PM..
Old 06-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Abbott,
Good job losing that 25 pounds, especially since every little pound was so hard to lose. I really know how that is. I can stall for months on Atkins without cheating.

I've done the fat fast too, and lost about a pound a day. Take it from me that ******* is much easier and doesn't make you feel as yucky. I used to think that ******* was 600 calories a day, but it isn't. I was getting 1200 calories a day and still losing a pound every day. I'm going to go for it again in a few days when TOM is over. Both fat fasting and ******* seemed to really lower my BS's to normal except a little higher in the morning.

One other tip: Don't just look at how a food affects you in 1-2 hours. Look at a 4, 6 or more hours picture because some foods will whammy you later. I have a strong suspicion that is happening to you. Soy does it to me. It takes about 12 hours for it to raise my blood sugar, but it can be dramatic by the next morning. My sister's endocrinologist told her the same thing--that some foods take several hours to show a blood sugar rise. Bernstein calls it the "Chinese food affect" or something like that.

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:01 AM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/196.2/145
WOE: JUDDD/(combined with WW-type foods)
Start Date: Highest wt: 246/ Start JUDDD 8/18/2014 @ 209.8
I have a really strange question..................does anyone out there know why a blood sugar reading would be high in the morning?!?!?!?

I noticed that my blood sugars are pretty stable throughout the day, before and after meals, etc....., usually in the 90's, but some mornings I will wake up with a reading of 92, 88, 96, etc., and other mornings it will be 114, or 133? I am totally confused. I did have a very late-night snack the other night, and when I woke up and tested 8 hours later, it was in the 130's. Could the late-night snack be the culprit, even though I slept for 8 hours before testing?

I'm totally confused...............any help would be greatly appreciated.
Linda1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:36 AM   #269

For a few days this last week - my fasting numbers were higher than my after meal numbers. It was very strange to me. Today was the same thing but I wasn't too worried since both numbers were low. On the other days, my fasting number was in the high 120, low 130's and my after meal number was between 105-120. Very strange - still trying to get a feel for my foods and routine. This Friday will be 4 weeks since I started testing. I'm going back to the doctors to have her look at a spot on my arm but I'm looking forward to weighing myself. The last time I weighed was 3 weeks ago.

Sorry Linda I have no advice but I did ask a similar question a few postings ago and mermaid gave a possible answer - scroll back up to post #251 and read that one and a few others after that .. maybe it will help.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:47 AM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pescacat
Stats: 332.3/263.7/170
WOE: VSG/Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 19, 2011
Hi,
I was wondering if the folks on here could help me with ideas/suggestions-I know no one is a doctor and these are just ideas but I welcome comments.
I've been having wild swings in my blood sugar-really low (below 40) and had to eat carbs to bring it back up. My typical situation is l**** this morning-I woke up with a blood sugar near 300 this morning but by noon it was low (near 40) and had to eat carbs to get it back above 70. Trying to stay on induction has been a daily failure and source of stress and unhappiness. My blood sugar always rises alot overnight and I don't get sugars in the 90's like other folks have reported on here when I stay on strict induction. I have to take insulin -both short and long acting (R and NPH) and I have very high insulin resistance with a long delay in my body's response to the insulin I do take (my peak for "fast acting R insulin" is 4 hours when it should be 30 mins) so it's a constant juggling act to not take too much when I wake up being so high in the morning and then preventing a blood sugar low/crash by lunch. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
-Laura
pescacat is offline   Reply With Quote