Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Okay, Begete, here's some straight shootin'--An A1C of 5.7 is still too high for optimum health. Should be around 4.5. This is info I get from Dr. Bernstein, as well as my own experience.

My A1C is 5.2 and my fasting BS was 104 this morning. During the day I've been riding at about 110-120, which has gone up some from a few months ago. When I was keeping it a little lower, my neuropathy completely disappeared. Now I have shooting pains in my toes a little here and there. To keep my BS lower, I have to eat a very small quantity of food and feel hungry all of the time. Today I am starting a short-term Kimmers diet for just that reason--to get used to less food again. Not fun, but necessary for my health.

By taking the right supplements, you can lessen the damage of eating too much food (not just too much carbs) that gets converted to glucose. That's probably why my A1c is lower than yours even if my blood sugars are not. A1C measures the IMPACT of that blood sugar (glycolization of proteins).

I think Dr. Bernstein explains all of that very well in his book, "Diabetes Solution." It would be well worth your time to read it. R-Ala, a form of alpha lipoic acid, is an extremely helpful supplement in lowering blood sugar and stopping neuropathy.

Excuse my verbosity here, but I figure that as a Lawyer you can handle it! (LOL)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #212
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/163.4/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Mermaid, thanx for the info. I hope you will not be offended, but I am going to table your advice until after we move (3 weeks from today - 3000 miles - 36 years' worth of stuff - 8 days of driving with a finicky cat in the car) I am just so totally overwhelmed right now, I cannot take on learning any new - no matter how important. I am going to see if the Jenuvia works, and that is about all I can handle right now. I really do appreciate your suggestions, and perhaps when meet we can discuss all this in person.

and rest assured, the barbecue will be low carb as my husband uses LC to control his gout!!
Old 05-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #213
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jewels
My A1c was 5.8 in Jan. Hopefully with my exercise and eating better it will lower next month. My FBG is mostly below 100 now.

I do get those sharp pains in my toes too. I need to google R-Ala for more info.

Just looked it up and it said something about sulfur which I'm allergic to. So I best not try that one. Is there anything else to help the needle like pains in the toes?

Last edited by Jewels; 05-07-2007 at 04:33 PM..
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Julie,
I think anything that promotes better circulation would help with the needle pains. I walk a mile a day, and that does seem to help also. You might check out plain ALA and see if it also has sulfur in it. Sorry can't help more than that.

Good luck with the big move Begete. Once you settle down you can work on tweaking the diet, etc. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:16 AM   #215
Blabbermouth!!!

5 day report on Januvia: I started Januvia on May 8. For the past two days, I have not noticed any tingling in my toes, and while yesterday my before breakfast blood sugar was 110, today it is 97!! I am also down 1 pound, without consciously trying to restrict carbs or calories beyond what I normally eat on LC.

Will keep you all posted....
Begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Babette!!!

I have found if my fasting is under 100, I've lost a few lbs too. Not up much on diabetes, although I'm reading as fast as I can to learn, do you who are diabetic's know if this is the case?
If your insulin doesn't shoot up then it's easier to lose weight without even trying?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abbott
Start Date: April 2000
Julie, sorry I can't answer your question. Weight loss is a mystery to me.

Gosh do I wish this sugar issue was easier to come up with the right answers!!

I undestand and believe that low carb does keep the BS down. And with that knowledge I have also learned that you can eat too much of the "good" foods at one sitting and still get a spike.

What I do not understand is if you are eating low carb consistently how many days does it take for the BS to come down to where it should be?? Mine just stays a little over or under 130. It does not rise overnight, but will go up within 2 hours after getting up in the morning if I do not eat something. Example was last night at bedtime it was 132. This morning when I got up and 2 hours later it was 133 and three hours later it was 144. Now that I have eaten it is back down to 131.

I noticed that several of you mention specific foods that will create a spike for you. Sooo, I decided to eat only one item at a meal, test before and after, and see if I could figure out what foods I do not respond well to. Is that how the rest of you did it??

I really appreciate any insight you have.

Babette, traveling is so difficult when you are trying to eat the right thing. We were military for 32 years and moved every 2-3 years. All of my weight gain was during each of those moves. I can just imagine what my BS was doing!

Lisa, how are you doing? I'm interested in how you are progressing.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Abbott, that's what I do. I test before and 2 hours after to see if a food makes it go up. I found that grapefruit makes mine spike (for me) and banana's don't. Go figure. But we are all different and I'm only pre-diabetic but eating LC and exercising 5-6 days a week, mine numbers are now below 100. Once in awhile it will be above but on the whole not now. I thought all diabetics were suppose to aim their's below 100. Am I misunderstanding here?

Are you on meds Abbott?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #219
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey Linda -

3 more weeks and we will be neighbors!!

Do you exercise? I was thinking of taking up power walking. Are you at all interested in doing that together?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abbott
Start Date: April 2000
Julie, according to what I have read your BS numbers should be under 90. I have been on 1,000 to 1,500 mg of metformin. From what I read it is slow to respond so I have been taking it when I get up and then around 7pm. I can tell the R-ALA brings the BS down, which I began a month ago. I started with 400mg and am now increasing that to 600mg. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.

During the last 6 months my BS has moved to around the 130's, it was around the 120's when I was diagnosed and put on metformin 2 years ago. It took my body 6 months to accept the medication... I know from looking back at test results that it was in the 120's for at least 15 years before that and I was told I was in the normal range. I'm still very angry over this since high blood sugar runs on my father's side of the family. I am reading and trying to understand everything I can about BS and see if I can turn it around.

Begete I had thought you were already on the road. Wow, only three weeks. You must be really excited! Let me know if you need anything. I am gone from 20th-29th.

I do exercise, but I have found that with my schedule that it doesn't work for me to do something that is pre-scheduled. I tried Curves in both Oak Harbor and Freeland and it just didn't work for me. Really loved their program.

Coupeville has been very dry...I heard that April was the driest month on record and no rain yet in May. With a wet winter the weeds loved it and now all of my plants are yelling for water. I find myself outside working most of the day and I do give myself a walk up our hill several times before the day is over. My 5 acres as well as my pedometer is great to ensure I am active.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #221
Blabbermouth!!!

Linda - we leave for Coupeville on the 29th. We hope to be there by June 6th!!

You never sent me your phone number. Please stop by after the 6th!!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:13 AM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

Abbott,
You are doing great for having had blood sugar problems for so long. Diabetes really is tricky to deal with I'm finding. Just when you think you have the magic bullet things can go screwy again. But even so, a low carb diet should be the foundation of every diabetic's treatment.

Earlier in this thread I talked about taking the Glucose Balance formula by Geromatrix. It has consistently worked for me to bring down BS by 15-20 points per tablet, and the directions say to take up to 3 tablets three times per day. It is a Chinese formula that I have not seen duplicated elsewhere (I'm always searching for bargains). At the rate I take it, which is only one or two pills per day usually, it only costs about $15 per month usually. I have noticed no side effects in over a year of taking it. It take some other herbs too, like gymnema and eleuthero.

I am trying the R-ALA now, but do not notice a difference from the cheaper ALA I was using. ALA does keep my blood sugars lower. Progesterone cream lowers my BS's too and makes me feel better overall.

I recently read an article by an editor of a health magazine, and she said that when she went on birth control pills as a teenager, it caused her to be immediately diabetic Nobody made the connection at the time, but when she eventually went off the pills she was no longer diabetic and has remained normal for many years. To me, there is no doubt that other hormones besides insulin affect diabetes.

Last edited by mermaid; 05-16-2007 at 09:15 AM..
Old 05-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #223
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: ChristiansMom
Stats: :( :| :)
WOE: HFLC
Hi Everyone..

This is my first time venturing into this area of LCF and I honesty wish I didn't have to but I need support, advice and a shoulder or two.

On May 6th I started to feel really 'strange' like my heart was beating wrong. It didn't hurt, just felt uncomfortable and scary. On the 10th I went in to see my doctor, heart was beating fine but she ordered a bunch of tests since it had been awhile. I got a call the next day telling me my blood sugar level was extremely high (230) and that I needed to come back for another sugar test. Went in on the 15th, got a call yesterday saying my levels were consistent with diabetes. I have to go in this afternoon to pick up a glucose meter and see an RN about how to use it. I go back to see my doctor tomorrow. That's all I was told. Oh and to avoid sugars and most carbs.

I feel so in the dark and lost. I know nothing about diabetes. I'm extremely scared and spent the day yesterday feeling sorry for myself and crying my eyes out.

I do not know what to expect at all. I'm afraid I'm going to do something wrong.

Since Monday I've been eating LC (not induction). Meat, 'good' veggies, cheese, eggs, a very small amount of fruit, a very small amount of milk, a bowl of natural oatmeal - lots of water - that kind of stuff. No sugar and no breads, pasta, potatoes etc.

I know I need to eat right from now on and I'm going to start walking with my dogs each night as well but I do not know what else I need to do. I don't know what I'm suppose to avoid or what I can't have (other than the obvious sugars).

If anyone has some advice for me, I'd gladly take it and appreciate it.

Thanks
Diana

Edited to add - I will be coming back this evening to read this whole thread. I'm sure there's lots of helpful stuff here, I just need to get ready to go to the clinic right now so not much time.
in the origin of your Light.
Matthew 5:14-16

ChristiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Diana,
My heart really goes out to you. It was only a year ago I was in the same dark place, really scared for my future. Low-carbing changed the picture very quickly, making me feel more confident that I could control the "diabeastie" and be healthy.

Please do read this whole thread as it has LOTS of important info in it. As you'll see on many posts, it's important to read Atkins Diabetes Revolution and/or Diet Revolution, and Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Very soon you will feel much better and less "dark" about your situation.

Just to tweak your diet a little, I would leave out the oatmeal. It causes BS spikes for many diabetics. I would also leave out the fruit for now. You can cautiously introduce it back in later when you have your regimen figured out, maybe.

Other than that, I'm a little puzzled about how you became diabetic when you are a seasoned low-carber? That doesn't really fit my paradigm (LOL). I know that being a little carb piggy along with genetics is what tipped me over the edge. Maybe for you its strictly genetic? Or maybe type 1?
Old 05-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #225

Hi Lorena,

Thanks for your help! Before I say more - I'm not even close to being a seasoned Low-Carber. I'm a seasoned member of LCF, but sadly, I never took it as serious as I should have. When I first came to LCF I did the plan through 2 weeks of induction and about 2 weeks off induction - that was my downfall. I slowly thought I could add in things like pizza here or there because when I first did - I was still losing. Anyhow, I went off the plan - then got back on it but again, not like I should have .. deciding I'd just 'wing it' - that didn't last long. I proceeded to do nothing for about a year before jumping back on the bandwagon. I did induction for about 3 months, then my whole family went on vacation for my father's 70th birthday and even though I tried really hard to stay on plan - by the 3rd day, all of the buffets got to me and I caved. That was the end of that. I came home and never got back on. Since then I've been making a few better choices because I know what the right foods are but not doing it the way I should have. My high post count is from spending MANY days on the Playground here - so easy for me to pretend the rest of the boards weren't here over on the PG. All I was doing was avoiding the inevitable.

I'm Type II. I saw the nurse yesterday and got my training on using the Glucose Monitor. That part wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. I'm still confused on alot of stuff and I was scheduled to see my doctor today but she has rescheduled me for next Friday. She wants to see how I do this week with monitoring my levels and with my diet/exercise. I had the eye test done and they took another blood and a urine sample while I was there.

I think my biggest fear is that I'm going to do this all wrong.

Here are the numbers I know right now.
The very first blood test I did was 230.
My second test was after fasting and it was 196.
Yesterday when the RN was practicing with me, I had a reading of 190.
This morning, first thing, before eating - it was 129.

I am extremely overweight. I'm 5'6" and 342 lbs. I will say that my small happy moment was the first day I went to the doctors because the last time I had been in to see her I weighed 356. I had weighed myself one other time between that visit and my most recent visit and I had ballooned up to 367. So seeing the scale say 342 was a bright moment because I expected it to say 400.

I'm 36 years old and no one in my family has diabetes. This is all new to me and I mean ALL new. I have so much to learn. *sigh*

Thanks for the advice on the fruit and oatmeal. I had the oatmeal on Monday because at that point, I thought my heart was still the main issue and wasn't really thinking about diabetes. I always thought whole, pure oatmeal was good for your heart so I cooked some with cinnamon and nothing else. Tasted horrible but I split the bowl between 3 different meals (a little at a time). I will stay away from it from now - not a problem since I do not like it anyhow but I'm not sure where else I should be getting my grains from. The fruits are going to be a little harder. I love fruit. I've only had a very little this week. A total of 1/4 banana, 1 orange, 1 wedge of watermelon and 1 med. strawberry over the course of 5 days. I realize all of them except the strawberry and maybe the orange, were bad choices. Do I really need to omit them completely? The RN yesterday made it sound like fruits are good for you. See, so confused!

Thanks again
Old 05-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Well, gosh, where to start? The easiest question is about fruit. If you really love it, keep some in as a treat here and there but stick to berries in small amounts. Definitely no oatmeal. It seems like Atkins induction would be a good place to restart with losing weight and keeping BS low.

You will likely notice a big difference between the RN's recommended diet and the low carb approach. The ADA tells them to say that you need 55% carbs a day in your diet and that something awful might happen were you to give up grains for some reason. In the Atkins Diabetes Revolution he talks about how that is not based on science at all, and is very detrimental advice for diabetics. It's up to you whom to believe. You've got high carbs/high blood sugar/drugs up to your eyeballs/progression of the disease on one hand, and low carb/low blood sugar/little or no meds/great health on the other.

Want some good news? 129 is not too bad for a fasting glucose, and your other readings around 200 aren't so bad either for being newly diagnosed. That means you're not to far progressed and may do just fine controlling with a low carb diet. Also, the more weight you lose, the better chance you have of reversing the diabetes, as some on this forum have done. No guarantees of that, though.

Hopefully you'll get busy reading those books and the rest of this thread and learn enough to end your confusion and feel more in control of your health. Maybe some others will have some advice for you here too.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #227
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristiansMom View Post
I'm 36 years old and no one in my family has diabetes. This is all new to me and I mean ALL new. I have so much to learn. *sigh*

Thanks for the advice on the fruit and oatmeal. I had the oatmeal on Monday because at that point, I thought my heart was still the main issue and wasn't really thinking about diabetes. I always thought whole, pure oatmeal was good for your heart so I cooked some with cinnamon and nothing else. Tasted horrible but I split the bowl between 3 different meals (a little at a time). I will stay away from it from now - not a problem since I do not like it anyhow but I'm not sure where else I should be getting my grains from. The fruits are going to be a little harder. I love fruit. I've only had a very little this week. A total of 1/4 banana, 1 orange, 1 wedge of watermelon and 1 med. strawberry over the course of 5 days. I realize all of them except the strawberry and maybe the orange, were bad choices. Do I really need to omit them completely? The RN yesterday made it sound like fruits are good for you. See, so confused!

Thanks again
[COLOR="DimGray"]Hi, again! Glad you made your way to this folder, it has some good information for you and lots of "nodding heads," as in, you will find many of us have things in common with our diabetes.

I have a few posts in here I won't rehash, but I think you'll find it's not uncommon to feel the whole spectrum of feelings you find washing over yourself lately. I personally spent several weeks in something akin to shock and all but total shut-down... I slept, ate, vegged in front of the TV and did very little else until I slowly began to come to grips with my situation and learn "what next?"

Get yourself a notebook and keep notes--things that make sense, things that don't, questions you have now, problems, symptoms, etc. Make it a mini-journal even, if it helps you organize your thoughts.

I also keep a folder on my desktop that I save files, recipes, posts, webpages, and all kinds of things I either want to look up more about or just review/remember later.

There is SO much information (some will apply to you directly and some will work for others but not necessarily you) and you cannot remember it all.

Visit the links in here about Dr. Bernstein, etc. Much of his book is available online at his site, and it was one of the main things that put me on the "right" path to eating healthy for a diabetic.

Your RN was right when she told you fruits, veggies, grains, etc. are all good and healthy for you, but they have to be eaten sparingly or not at all depending on how they affect *your* sugars. My RN put me on a diet consisting of approximately 130-160 CARBS a DAY.

I currently do well on 30 a DAY or under! My sugars would be through the roof on that amount of carbs.

Read, read, read... and come here for support. Get your pen ready and get yourself armed with some helpful reading material. This folder is a good place to start, and from here, you'll feel better able to control that which seems to be out of your control just now.

Hugs, and welcome.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:38 AM   #228

Hi Karyn

Thank you for all the wonderful advice! I'm so glad I found this little thread. It's been very helpful so far for me.

I have a question - is there another Diabetes group or thread on LCF that most of the diabetics post on .. on a regular basis or is this the only one? I was looking but couldn't find anything - I might be blind or looking in the wrong places. Some place to get daily interaction and support. I was thinking maybe this thread was just to post your progress reports and not really chit chat and such.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
Start Date: 6-14-03
Hi Diana & welcome!

There used to be an area that had a new diabetic thread every week. When I was later looking for it and couldn't find anything I started this one. Sometimes it goes slowly, other times faster. But it is a very caring area with some wonderful and experienced folks.

It is terrifying when you are first diagnosed! I have written elsewhere on here about how it was for me. But I can honestly say now that I am thankful that I became diabetic because it really has helped focus me on taking care of myself. If I'd not become diabetic I would have continued to neglect myself in numerous ways and would have a much shorter life span full of other types of sickness. So I am grateful for the gift. (a case of a curse being a blessing in disguise)

You are still learning, and working hard at learning. You are WAY ahead of where I was so soon after diagnosis. You really don't have to have it all together right away, it is a process. I hope you give yourself credit for all the progress you are making so fast, and take care of yourself in other ways too, like taking time for calmness, destressing and such. Your walks may be good for that. My week end mornings while I am online I listen as my DH practices guitar and works out new songs he has written. It is my refresh time.

I think if you have read the thread you will see there is space for daily interactions and support, and chit chat, etc.

Are you on any meds at this time for diabetes, or are you doing well using exercise and diet to maintain your levels? One of my friends did well without meds, but she was doing almost daily water aerobics at the time. Years later she got high levels again despite now being on meds. Just a few weeks ago she went back to water aerobics (and added low carb eating - she'd never tried that) and is again having great b.s. levels.

Again welcome, and feel free to share however much of your journey as you would like.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #230

Hi Dee

Thank you for such a sweet post - I am still reading through this thread and should be done shortly but I realize now that I can chit chat here too Thanks for starting this thread.

I do appreciate the fact that I already knew about LC and the benefits of it way before I was diagnosed with diabetes. I think it's going to come in handy in helping me to keep things in control. I can't imagine if I was facing this without the little bit of knowledge that I do have and this board as my support. I would be a mess. I truly believe that LCing is going to be my main lifeline to doing well with my blood sugar levels - exercise as well.

I was just diagnosed last Wednesday the 16th. My doctors nurse called me and told me over the phone. She then scheduled me to come in and pick up the glucose meter from the pharmacy and talk to an RN - I was scheduled to see my doctor on Friday but that got pushed to next Friday instead. The RN helped alot but I haven't actually sat down with my doctor and gone over a plan or what her plans are for me. I did talk to her for a moment when I was with the RN and she said she wants to see how I do with monitoring my blood this week on my own with my own new diet. The RN only told me the foods to avoid and then gave me a small list of foods and their glycemic numbers. Thank God I knew about Atkins or I would be so lost. I am REALLY hoping I do not need meds. I'm not good at taking pills, I've never been a pill taker and no matter what it is, I always end up feeling sick or ill after taking them. I would like to avoid it if possible but we'll see.

I'm keeping a daily notebook with every single thing I eat as well as my glucose readings. I'll take that in with me when I go to see her. My numbers are coming down since I started eating LC. I'm still not cutting out one small fruit per day and a decent amount of good vegetables but otherwise I've eaten no bad carbs (that I know of) and I feel really good - alot more energy than I had before.

I hope no one minds me posting my numbers but it helps me to get feedback on if they seem to be doing better or worse - especially since this is really new to me.

1st glucose reading = 230 (this is what caused the concern)
2nd fasting glucose reading = 196 (this is what determined I was diabetic)
3rd after-meal G.R. = 190

Then I started eating LC and did my testing for the first time from home:
Friday fasting G.R. = 129
After meal G.R. = 151
Saturday fasting G.R. =124
After meal G.R. = 142
Sunday (today) fasting G.R. = 129
After meal G.R. = 118

My problem is - I wonder if I'm eating enough food or if I'm doing fine just the way I'm doing it now. I'm trying to eat smaller meals so I don't stuff myself but I've been mainly eating 3 med. meals and maybe 1 snack a day. I also know I'm going to have to watch my sodium because I really love to grab a string cheese and eat it when I'm hungry but I know those have alot of sodium. Also, I eat eggs and bacon every morning. I hate breakfast but can tolerate it if I'm able to eat the eggs and bacon. Is that going to be bad for my heart in the long run? Hmm

That is wonderful about your friend. I hope she is able to keep it up. I actually love LC eating - my cravings are pretty much gone for the first 2 weeks and then I have to work harder at them but I think my mind has gone through a huge change since finding out I have diabetes. It's like before I had a choice but now I do not (at least not in my mind). I'm not sure it's good though that I am to the point of being afraid of eating anything with sugar in it. Is that o.k.?

I'm really sorry if I'm annoying or sounding stupid. This is all so new to me. I feel like I need to gain as much knowledge as I can to better help myself.

Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #231
Are we there yet?

Quote:
I'm keeping a daily notebook with every single thing I eat as well as my glucose readings. I'll take that in with me when I go to see her. My numbers are coming down since I started eating LC. I'm still not cutting out one small fruit per day and a decent amount of good vegetables but otherwise I've eaten no bad carbs (that I know of) and I feel really good - alot more energy than I had before.
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Diana, hey!

Listen, don't try to do it all at one whack, you'll drive yourself crazy! I think you're doing great, and this is all a learning experience... You will learn to listen to your body and how it feels when you eat right, when you eat something it doesn't quite agree with, and those other times when you eat something you know better not to eat (or eat much of) and how it makes you FEEL.

I was afraid of eating sugar in the beginning, and over a year later, I limit the amount I'll have at once, because believe me--when you LC and/or when you're diabetic and lessen/stop sugar intake, having sugar might just make you feel like your pulse is racing!

I went MONTHS without experimenting with sweets and stuff because I didn't want to "mess up." Now I don't have many sweets and fruits or grains, but I do have them occasionally. And that's okay!

Don't tell yourself "never" or you'll soon feel deprived, resentful, and more likely to eat things you wouldn't ordinarily eat when you're taking care of yourself.

The fruit is GOOD for you, but try to always think in terms of serving sizes, and test your sugar 2 hrs after you've eaten something to see how it affects you. Different times of day/night may also yield different results, but if I get similar readings 2-3 times for a portion of a food, I tend to consider them accurate for my body's threshold.[/COLOR]

Quote:
I hope no one minds me posting my numbers but it helps me to get feedback on if they seem to be doing better or worse - especially since this is really new to me.

1st glucose reading = 230 (this is what caused the concern)
2nd fasting glucose reading = 196 (this is what determined I was diabetic)
3rd after-meal G.R. = 190

Then I started eating LC and did my testing for the first time from home:
Friday fasting G.R. = 129
After meal G.R. = 151
Saturday fasting G.R. =124
After meal G.R. = 142
Sunday (today) fasting G.R. = 129
After meal G.R. = 118
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I doubt you're bothering anyone!

I didn't take a glucose tolerance test; my doc pretty much diagnosed me with a plain old lab blood test, and while I understand from reading more that that is not the way one is normally diagnosed, I believe she was right on the money...

I'd say your numbers are coming under control very nicely for no meds and using LC to do it!!! My doc believes in treating aggressively, and since apparently weight is an issue for many people diagnosed diabetic, she chose to attack it head-on and start me off on meds rather than wait & see how I did.

She was right to do so... I am in a wheelchair and I'd steadily gained over the years, like most of us do, and I am unable to exercise much to control weight. However, LCing has brought my weight down 50 pounds since I started, and my meds were cut back, and I am healthier today than before!

YOU are doing great!!! Keep up the good work. [/COLOR]

Quote:
My problem is - I wonder if I'm eating enough food or if I'm doing fine just the way I'm doing it now. I'm trying to eat smaller meals so I don't stuff myself but I've been mainly eating 3 med. meals and maybe 1 snack a day. I also know I'm going to have to watch my sodium because I really love to grab a string cheese and eat it when I'm hungry but I know those have alot of sodium. Also, I eat eggs and bacon every morning. I hate breakfast but can tolerate it if I'm able to eat the eggs and bacon. Is that going to be bad for my heart in the long run? Hmm
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I don't know, I don't know if anyone does. Information changes every decade or so, and we often learn that which we've been told all our lives is no longer so. How are we supposed to know if the experts don't know?!

I am LCing and doing well. My A1c (a test run every 3-6 months that measures your blood sugars for approximately the previous 3 months) started at 7.8 when I was diagnosed. Every 90 days I have brought it down, down, down and am happily maintaining at 4.5 these days.

LCing WORKS.

As for how much you're eating... Are you full or satisfied after a meal? Do you know your body well enough to trust how full you feel as you're eating?

I eat either 3 meals and 1-2 small snacks a day, or else 4 meals and maybe 1-2 snacks a day. It depends on how I feel, and sometimes if I *think* I am hungry, I will drink a bottle of crystal light and re-assess after that. If I AM hungry, I eat.

If I eat and don't feel quite full, I'll wait at least a couple of hours then have a small snack. I try not to eat more often than every 2-4 hours and not let more than 5-6 hours pass without a meal or snack. I keep portions small and try to pay attention to feeling full. I am still surprised now when I don't eat as much as I used to at one sitting--a dinner-sized plate full back then, and a saucer-sized plate now.[/COLOR]

Quote:
I'm not sure it's good though that I am to the point of being afraid of eating anything with sugar in it. Is that o.k.?
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Diana, everything is okay. Honest. You are feeling and acting completely NORMAL. You'll find your way once you get further away from the fright of it all.

With me, I wasn't afraid to eat sugar; I was afraid to eat at all!!!

I'm better now, more relaxed, and comforted by what I've learned. You're just starting out here, be gentle with yourself. [/COLOR]

Quote:
I'm really sorry if I'm annoying or sounding stupid. This is all so new to me. I feel like I need to gain as much knowledge as I can to better help myself.

Thanks again!
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]You are doing just fine! Not stupid or annoying, and asking all the right questions. In the beginning I had thousands of questions and my fear was that I couldn't possibly remember everything I needed to know--and my health could worsen for it.

Trust me, you cannot know it all, there will always be questions, but you will feel comfortable with yourself one day. And I would not tell something like that to someone unless I believed it myself.

One day this'll all be old hat to ya!

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 05-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #232

Karyn

Thank you so much - I actually cried when I read your post. Happy tears though because you took the time to write all that out for me. I really appreciate it. I feel alot better about the position I'm in after reading your post (and everyone elses too!). I know I'm going to be o.k., I just need to get use to the changes and absorb what I can, when I can.

It's funny, everything all of you are saying about when you first found out.. is exactly what I'm feeling or thinking too. It's comforting to know that my thoughts aren't stupid or out of the ordinary.

I'm sure it's just going to take time and trial/error for me to find what works for my body. I also think LCing is going to help 100% with helping me to control this.

Today, I feel good. Things don't look so dark or bleak. I feel like I'm making good strides and early that are going to help me in the long run. A few days ago I thought my world had ended, seriously. I sat crying and felt like death was just knocking on my door .. because I didn't know anything about diabetes. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to learn everything or absorb everything that I needed to and quickly enough but I'm just taking it one day at a time now and learning what I can as I go along. You all have been very VERY helpful, more than you know.

Today my fasting reading was 120. I've also started walking on my treadmill today, only 10 minutes but it's a start and I think it will be easy for me to up it to 15 before the week is over. Maybe I'll be to 30 minutes in a few weeks. I've also decided to start keeping track of my water intake and to cut my meals down to a small meal/snack every 2-3 hours. Mainly because every time I start doing LC, I get headaches in the second week and this is my second week.. the headaches started last night and I have another one today. I'm guessing it's just my body trying to adjust to all the changes.

Thanks again for the responses, advice and support - you are all amazing! I hope one day I can pay it forward and help someone who comes here and is in this same spot I am now.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 AM   #233
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mariasol
Stats: 138/125/125
WOE: low carb most of the time
Start Date: 2/04
Quote:
Thanks again for the responses, advice and support - you are all amazing! I hope one day I can pay it forward and help someone who comes here and is in this same spot I am now.
You already did I came in here with questions, and the reponses you got answered them all I am not pre-diabetic but DH is and his reaction was the same as yours. While he didn't know anything about LC, I did and for once he listened to my suggestions. He is eating quite a high amount of carbs (100 - 150) but still keeps his fasting BS around 125, and it seldom goes higher after a meal either. Funny how people react differently. He can eat bananas and berries but not oranges or apples unless he adds some fat/protein to them (like peanut butter).
Mariasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:24 PM   #234
Are we there yet?

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Paying it forward, I like that, that's a wonderful sentiment! (Did you see the movie by that name, Pay It Forward? Such a sad but awesome story!! )[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariasol View Post
You already did I came in here with questions, and the reponses you got answered them all I am not pre-diabetic but DH is and his reaction was the same as yours. While he didn't know anything about LC, I did and for once he listened to my suggestions. He is eating quite a high amount of carbs (100 - 150) but still keeps his fasting BS around 125, and it seldom goes higher after a meal either. Funny how people react differently. He can eat bananas and berries but not oranges or apples unless he adds some fat/protein to them (like peanut butter).
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Mariasol, that is amazing! My dietician recommended similar carb levels for my regular "diet" and my sugar was outrageous on that amount. I do well on about 30ish carbs a day but feel better at less than 25.

And I'm good with some fruits but not others... I do well when I stick to berries or even apples, but bananas I have to limit severely. We are all so different yet so very much alike!

I am so thankful for everyone who posts here, just wanted to say so.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 05-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #235
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mariasol
Stats: 138/125/125
WOE: low carb most of the time
Start Date: 2/04
Jewel - DH is 6'4", 200 lb (down from 230+) and has an active job. 150 carbs for him is a huge difference from the half gallon ice cream at night and 10 sodas he used to drink per day Actually, I'm surprised that at this carb level he still has appetite surpression and eats much, much less than he used to. Men
Mariasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #236
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariasol View Post
Jewel - DH is 6'4", 200 lb (down from 230+) and has an active job. 150 carbs for him is a huge difference from the half gallon ice cream at night and 10 sodas he used to drink per day Actually, I'm surprised that at this carb level he still has appetite surpression and eats much, much less than he used to. Men
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Yeah, I've read time and again that men tend to lose faster than women on this WOE, and I imagine it's because oftentimes men are more active or have a higher metabolism?

I also "get it" about the difference in eating what we eat now and what we used to eat before... I thought nothing of buying a dozen Krispie Kremes and consuming 3-4 in a sitting, or 3-5 Cokes a day, or even just the regular food I ate at one meal, and as for servings sizes? What's that?!

If I'd known then what I know now (both about the diabetes and eating low carb), I guess I'd have been shocked to NOT eventually be diagnosed as such.

WTG for your DH, sounds like he's on the right track with his weight loss! I am certain losing the weight I've lost has been a major factor in getting my diabetes under control. That, and the LC, of course.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 05-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #237

Hi Karyn, I agree Pay It Forward was such a sad story but a really good movie!

I'm still chugging along today - had a little craving earlier for something sweet but knew in my head that it wasn't even an option to have something 'bad' so I improvised and mixed a little cream cheese with a packet of Equal and chopped a really small strawberry up as much as I could and put it on top. Tasted like cheesecake and hit the spot. That will only be a once in a while treat but it's nice to know that if I get a craving I can find something to substitute for the bad things I was stuffing into my body before. The hard part is going to be trying to keep my DH and son away from it since they are huge cheesecake lovers!

My fasting number this morning was 111 and I'm going to test my after meal in about 30 minutes. Each day the numbers keep coming down so I'm pleased. I walked on my treadmill yesterday for 10 minutes and attempted to do 15 today (and could have) but the stupid treadmill shut down on me at 13 min. My husband has to fix something minor with it tonight so I can use it tomorrow. Drank 96 oz of water yesterday and will hit that mark again today.

Karyn - When did you find out you were T2? Do you mind if I ask how much you have lost and how long it's taken you so far?

Marisol - Thank you And good for your DH and YOU - for coming here and reading up on things. It has helped me alot in just this short amount of time. It's scary when you have all these questions and don't know where to turn. I'm glad I knew to come here I'm glad to hear your DH is on the right track and doing well.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:42 AM   #238
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Hi Karyn, I agree Pay It Forward was such a sad story but a really good movie!

I'm still chugging along today - had a little craving earlier for something sweet but knew in my head that it wasn't even an option to have something 'bad' so I improvised and mixed a little cream cheese with a packet of Equal and chopped a really small strawberry up as much as I could and put it on top. Tasted like cheesecake and hit the spot. That will only be a once in a while treat but it's nice to know that if I get a craving I can find something to substitute for the bad things I was stuffing into my body before. The hard part is going to be trying to keep my DH and son away from it since they are huge cheesecake lovers!
[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]LOL, yep, you hoard all those LC yummies for yourself! I can't get my roommate to do much more than taste some of the things I eat, which is good and bad. I am positive she's pre-diabetic and/or working her way into full-blown diabetes, and it worries me.

I can't choose her way for her, we all have to make our own, but it's lead to some heated discussions where, well, I've chosen to let it drop because I would rather her not sneak food rather than having me badger her.

Know what? Improvising to satisfy your "sweet tooth" is a great way to keep yourself focused and happy... No, we won't eat traditional sweets, etc. the way we've always done, but surprisingly I have found myself very happy with sugar-free alternatives. Fresh fruit? Tastes better than it ever used to.

In time my taste buds became more noticeable of flavors; foods I'd never considered "good" or "choice" have become something I look forward to and would just as soon have over the carb-ier stuff.

My all-time favorite treat is making sugar free pudding with cream or with cream cheese. Girl, that stuff is heaven on a spoon!!! [/COLOR]

Quote:
My fasting number this morning was 111 and I'm going to test my after meal in about 30 minutes. Each day the numbers keep coming down so I'm pleased. I walked on my treadmill yesterday for 10 minutes and attempted to do 15 today (and could have) but the stupid treadmill shut down on me at 13 min. My husband has to fix something minor with it tonight so I can use it tomorrow. Drank 96 oz of water yesterday and will hit that mark again today.
[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]YAY! Good for you! Isn't it amazing to you that what you eat can matter so much to your body?[/COLOR]

Quote:
Karyn - When did you find out you were T2? Do you mind if I ask how much you have lost and how long it's taken you so far?
[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]I suspected for months before I ever saw a doctor, I had a sore on one of my toes that no matter how well I treated it, it wouldn't heal... or stay healed. It was in DEC 2005 when I finally saw a doctor and my whole world changed. It was the equivalent of an atom bomb detonating in my life, finding myself with a disease that would force me to eat differently (and different foods) than I'd eaten all my life. Virtually everything I ate normally was a starch of some kind.

Since I've been in a wheelchair for about 13 yrs now, I hadn't weighed in all that time. I couldn't stand up on the scales even with assistance so I didn't know how to weigh. (I have muscular dystrophy.)

I weighed the first time after diagnosis about 6 months in (my neurologist installed a "bariatric" scale I could roll onto then subtract the weight of the chair) and I weighed about 191. So by my guestimation, I probably weighed a minimum of 200 or more pounds pre-diagnosis. At less than 5'2" and small-statured, the weight was very noticeable on me.

From DEC '05 to APR '07 I lost about 50 pounds total, and gained about 10 back, so I'm working my way down again... Lowering my carbs closer to induction several days a week.

I started out eating lowfat and quickly found my sugar levels not coming down. I've been low carb-ing a year in April, and that is what I consider my most successful method of losing/controlling.

I don't deprive myself, I eat well, and I occasionally eat a bite of starchy food or cake or cookie, but I limit those times to once a month or so and always count the carbs into my daily plan when possible.

So, Diana, what kind of meter did you get to use and how often are you testing yourself? Is it still not until this Friday that you'll see your doctor again? I'm betting he/she will be pleased with your progress in such a short time!

Carry on.

Karyn[/COLOR]

Last edited by Jewelthief; 05-23-2007 at 12:46 AM..
Old 05-23-2007, 01:22 AM   #239

I have the opposite problem in my home. My family actually LOVES LC food so when I make something that I originally made because I wanted it - they end up eating it instead. For example, this past weekend I made a Faux Potato Salad to have with burgers (no bun for me, of course). I had planned on my DH and DS eating it too since they like it as well but I was hoping to have the left overs for my lunches this week. My son got into it later that night and served himself a helping in a plastic cup that I found in the trash as evidence. Then my husband the next day said "you put some of that salad in my lunch, right?" Today my son ate most of what was left with his dinner so I'm out of luck. I'm really just being playful though because I honestly don't mind - I love that they are for one, enjoying the same foods I am which makes it easy for me to avoid some temptations if I make foods their way and my way.. and most of all that they are eating HEALTHY above anything else. So I let them but I'll tell you what.. if they eat all of my cheesecake stuff, it's so ON.

I'm sorry to hear that your friend isn't realizing the road she is taking herself down. My brother is the same way. He is larger than I am and is an admitted chocoholic - worse than I ever was. He has to have some sort of chocolate every single night. He is always coughing and seems to struggle for his breath alot. When I first tried Atkins awhile back, I talked to him about it - just shared what I was doing without any pressure on him to do the same. I volunteered to share the book when him when he seemed to be interested and he took it but I'm 99.9% positive that he never opened it. He gave it back to me and made some excuse as to why he couldn't do it. I worry about him especially now that I've been diagnosed. He also has 2 young children that he is teaching the same habits to - chocolate or dessert every single night. His kids are active in sports but I don't know if that's going to help in the long run if they continue to eat the way they do. My son is active in sports as well but it is a struggle for him to keep his weight where it is now and even at this weight he wants to lose and tone alot more.

I hope your roommate sees the light before it's too late.

So what is this SF puddling and cream cheese that you speak of? Do you make the pudding like normal but mix in the cream cheese or top it with it? I need details

I actually am loving the control I feel over my body right now. I hate to say it but I believe this T2 situation really was a blessing in disguise. I'm a spirtual person and had been praying for God to help me get this weight off - guess this was the only way he was going to get me to pay attention because nothing in the past had worked.

I can relate to your story in so many ways. Almost everything I ate prior to this was a startch or fast food. We ate out alot. My son is always so busy with his sports schedule which would make it hard to be home long enough to make meals. My husband works an odd schedule so he is never here to eat with us - it was easier to just grab from a fast food place and run than to cook for 2 and try to be at other places in short amounts of time. I also could not weigh myself at home because none of the scales were accurate or they didn't go as high as I weighed. If I wanted to weigh myself I had to go down to the clinic and use their huge scale (the one you might use now because it has a platform you can roll onto). It was just too much of a hassle, I thought.

You are doing awesome! You are an inspiration and I'm here cheering you on like I know you are cheering me on. I have ALOT more to lose than you ever did or do but hopefully I'm on my way down and not looking back up anytime soon.

Right now I can't picture eating regular cakes, cookies or whatever but I know the temptation is going to be there and soon. My family (not my DH or DS) are huge sweets eaters. We spend alot of time with my nieces, nephews, sister, brothers etc and I can't even begin to tell you what kind of stuff they always have out for gatherings. Christmas is a nightmare - one whole table filled to the top with junk food and most of the stuff won't even fit on one table - so it sits on the kitchen counter too. My nephew and his new wife are both skinny as can be but love their chocolate too and have a huge bowl of it sitting out every time we come over. Cookies, cakes, pies, candy, sodas, chips.. you name it, they all have it out. We have a birthday or holiday every single month in our family so we go out to eat or get together and then it's cake time. Cake is my weakness above anything else. I love cake. I know it's going to be hard but I need to have a plan ahead of time for those situations. I don't know right now but I'm thinking about it. Thankfully we aren't getting together for Memorial Day but my sister's birthday is right after that. I'm sure in the future I'll be able to work in a very small slice one every few months but I feel REALLY vulnerable right now.

I'm not sure what you mean about the meter. I didn't realize there were different types. The one I have is called Soft Touch (I think.. it's in the other room) and it came with a little pouch. It has a pencil looking thing and lancets and the little test strips. I put the test strip in the meter, poke myself with the spring-loaded "gun" (lol) and then place it next to the strip and it reads it instantly. My DH and DS are DYING to try it on themselves but I'm afraid that it's keeping track of my readings and I don't want my doctor to scold me for letting them use it.

Yes, I go to see my doctor on Friday morning and I'm excited so I REALLY hope she is because if she's not, it's going to rain on my parade. She's a great doctor so no complaints so far and I can't picture her being upset that my numbers are coming down.

I do have one question - will she most likely send me to talk to a nutritionist or a dietician? I'm kinda hope she will so I will know a little more about what foods to avoid or what certain foods are better than others (that I didn't already know) but at the same time I'm worried they will be like some people are about LCing and try to tell me not to eat this way when in my heart and mind I know this is the RIGHT way to eat now. How can it be bad if the uncomfortable feeling in my chest and with my heart has gone away completely since I've been eating right? That is what took me to the doctor in the first place and I was able to cancel my appointment for a take-home EKG-type machine because I'm feeling 110% better.

Wow, I talk alot..huh?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Sounds like you are doing great, Diana.

If your doctor does have you consult with a dietician, be prepared to be told to eat way more carbs than you know you should. You might be lucky and get one receptive to lowcarbing, I have heard of a few (not found one myself, but I figure it is my body, I know what is working for it and I know what would happen if I were to eat to the standard ADA recommendations, so I'll keep lowcarbing).

If you have not yet, meander over to the Recipes and Suggestions Help board. You will find some fabulous recipes that are very tasty and very lowcarb -- those sweet treats included.

One of the important things I learned with my diagnosis was to test all foods and find out what affects my blood sugar. Even though some foods are low in carbs, my body reacts to them differently. By testing (and when learning, I tested more frequently than 2 hours, I tested at 1/2 hour, 1 hour, and 2 hours, my understanding is that the spikes are not healthy and a food can spike your blood sugar and be back down by the 2 hour mark. If you have not already, check out Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution and/or meander over to his website -- several of the chapters are available on the site. He's a type I diabetic who keep his blood sugar under control with a lowcarb approach -- a strict 6 (breakfast), 12 (lunch), 12 (dinner) and no snacks. It was from his book that I learned about tomatoes, can be a real problem for some diabetics and I'm one of them. After learning (by testing) what tomatoes and tomatoe products do to my blood sugar, I mostly eliminated them and finally started seeing my numbers and weight start to go down. So many of my meals used tomato sauce. Was actually hard to limit the tomatoes than to give up bread and potatoes.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote