Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisap36
Stats: 295/279.5/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 05/06/2013
I hear ya Mermaid. I guess that's why it's confusing.
lisap36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2007, 09:51 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Well, some good news I guess. I had to go back on insulin since I couldn't get my bs down. I didn't want to, but it did make my bs come down from 300 this morning to 170 this afternoon. Amazing. The thing that's really yukky is that I'm REALLY swollen in the feet and legs. Do you think insulin is causing this?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
Start Date: 6-14-03
Lisa,

It sounds very frustrating what you are going thru, but I was glad to read that the bs is going down now. Keeping your bs down is going to help your health now and in the future. As it gets more stable you may be able to do some tweaking with the diet as you figure out what works and doesn't work for you. It can be a slow process, kind of like an experiment using yourself as the guinea pig. But what else can you (or anyone) do? We are all so individual and different. And sometimes we get lucky and find what works sooner than later. I wish just plain straight Atkins worked well for me. It almost does, but I have to avoid certain things that other LC'ers have no problem with, and seem to have a much much slower metabolism than many. If it didn't help so much with my bs issues, I'd have given it up by now.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Dee. I'm thinking that my next step is to drop the diet coke. That's something I really could do without, even though I'm used to it. I know it will cause a fat headache for a few days, but that's my next step for now. I'll get it figured out eventually! (I love that smiley!)
Old 05-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Where is everybody?

Okay. Am I the only diabetic left here? I'll check in anyway! Finally my bs are down! This morning it was actually 140. Yesterday my morning was over 300 even though the daytime was around 100-110. Gee, i guess the insulin actually works!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/201.2/145
WOE: Atkin's Low-Carb WOE
Start Date: Restarted at 205 lbs/Highest wt: 246
lisap36: Hi, I have been lurking for about a week now.....just recently diagnosed with diabetes. Been too depressed to talk about it with anyone. I'm having a real hard time accepting the fact that I have diabetes. But reading all of your posts and everyone else's is helping me understand a few things I wasn't sure about. My endo is going to have me try to control my bs right now thru diet and exercise and see how it goes. She will see me in July for further prognosis. I wish you the best with your condition. I see this is going to be a long process for all of us.

dreamerdee: What have you found on Atkin's that DOES NOT work for you? Just curious......so I know what to pay attention to. Do you find that certain foods allowed on Atkin's throws your bs into a frenzy or something? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Feb 1998 - 246 lbs.-Highest weight Pre-Atkins. Lost 70 lbs on low-carb, and kept it off for years. Then gained some back when I stopped doing low-carb). I'm baaaaack!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Way to go Lisa! Whew, great to see those low numbers.

Welcome, Linda. I know what a shock the diagnosis is. I almost fainted when I checked my BS and saw 360--"No, no, that can't be right!!" Such an awful helpless feeling. Now, a year later, I am happy, on a good track, and just grateful that I caught the disease creeping up on me so I could reverse the damage and hopefully avoid the really big problems it causes.

Although you directed your question to Dreamerdee, I can tell you that it is very individual which foods cause blood sugar spikes. For me it's anything with grain (bran crackers, gluten, dreamfield's pasta), and sometimes too much cream. Soy is a tricky bugger--causing no blood sugar increase after I eat it, but keeping it high through the night and into the next day. For other people, though, it might be tomatoes or onions or some other food that causes problems. That's why it's good to keep a food journal that correlates your diet to your blood sugar.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

mermaid: Thank you for responding. Now my next question.......when my doctor called me with my Glucose Tolerance Test results, she said to stay on strict low carb and continue exercising, and she'll see me in July. These were my results: fasting blood draw - 94; drank the sugary liquid then half hour later blood draw was 207 (should have been below 199); half hour later blood draw was normal; next half hour blood draw showed bs was at 173 (should have been below 139); and the last two blood draws each an hour apart were normal. She said my pancreas is working.......just not as quickly as it should. Her big concern was the 173 reading.....by then it should have been down allot. She didn't send me a script or anything to get a meter to test my blood, so I have no idea where it is at each day. I just continue to eat right and exercise. Do you think I should go out any buy a meter now, or wait to see her in July? Maybe because my bs readings weren't real high, she didn't feel the necessity to tell me to buy a meter at this time?!?!?!? Are they expensive? I'd rather wait and get a script for one, which would be covered quite a bit under my health insurance. Inquiring minds wanna know..........(this is all so new and confusing to me!!) Thanks for any info you might have!
Linda1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Linda,
Those are all really great questions.

First of all kudos to your doc for recommending low carb! And it's great that you are already an experienced low-carber. Knowing you need to keep carbs low and knowing how to do it are half the battle.

At this point I highly recommend reading Dr. Bernstien's Diabetes Solution. I don't agree with him that 30 grams carbs a day is for everyone (some of us need to stay much lower, even half that) but almost every thing else I think he's right on about, and the book is jam packed with useful info. It's a very reassuring book--this guy has been type I for over 60 years and has kept himself healthy. Also read the book on Diabetes by the Atkins Institute (Written after he died).

About the blood sugar monitors, I am a big advocate of everyone with even the slightest glucose problem having one.

For under $20 you can get an Accu-Chek Active monitor at Wal Mart. The strips, however are more expensive. The Accu-Chek monitor is one of the better monitors out there, very reliable, although of course there are differing opinions on what is the best one. One Touch monitors are actually my favorite ones due to being quick, accurate, and requiring a small blood sample. The ones to really avoid are anything made by Abbott labs--terribly inaccurate! You might be tempted to get a WalMart Reli-On $8 monitor, but it is made by Abbott and was so bad I threw mine away.

However you do it, glucose monitoring can really help you figure out the best diet for you. Keep in mind that the number our bodies prefer is 85 during the day and a little lower, around 80 at night. Whenever your glucose is higher than that, your body is working the whole time to bring it down. It really stresses out your system when you body has to keep squirting out insulin for hours and hours that is not working due to insulin resistance.

That is why it's good you are going to control your carbs to the right level for you and not keep stressing your body out. Maybe you won't need medication. Maybe you will even be cured (Look up TippyToes on this forum--her husband was cured by low carbing and has a doctor's letter to prove it.)

Sorry if this is a little disjointed--my daughter is bugging me to go to the park. Gotta go now!
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:50 AM   #190
Senior LCF Member

mermaid: Thank you so much for the valuable information. I think I will just go out and pick one up. I appreciate the details on which one to get....

Do they come with instructions on where to draw the blood from, etc....? And does it tell you what is "normal", etc? And one last question, (I promise I won't keep bugging you), but are you allowed to draw blood from any other part of your hand other than your fingertips? (Like maybe the fleshy part of your palm by the base of the thumb, etc)???? I thought I read something somewhere that talked about that?!?

I would think the fingertips would get awfully sore after all that testing.......
Old 05-04-2007, 08:27 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Linda,
You're not bugging me.
Meters do come with instructions on how to use them, and toll-free numbers to call for help. Getting set up can take 10 minutes or so, but once you do it a few times you will find there is nothing to it. I literally do it in my sleep sometimes.

There are many meters available that allow testing from sites other than fingers. I only test on my fingers, about 5 times a day and they have not ever gotten sore. One reason I can do that is because the softclix lancet that comes with the Accu-chek meter is such an excellent painless lancet that you would swear it didn't even puncture. But then you see a little bead of blood sitting there. I have several different meters (so I can just buy whatever strips are cheap on ebay), but I always use the softclix lancet. I also use a different finger for each poke. Dr. Bernstein advised not using the alcohol wipes because they cause callouses where you poke. He says just to wash your hands and dry real well, which is what I do. Never use baby wipes or poke your fingers with lotion on them, because it can raise your reading 20 or 30 points. The little poke site heals up in seconds usually since it is so small.

If money is not an issue for you, you might consider buying the accu-chek active monitor just to get the softclix lancet that comes with it, then also get a one-touch ultra or mini because those use the smallest amount of blood--just the tiniest little bead, and has great accuracy. I really did not like their lancet though! My only complaint with the accu-chek monitor is the amount of blood required, but it is also very accurate.

Hope I'm not being too confusing. Just want to get some details for you to go by.

I think you will feel a lot more in in control by monitoring your glucose, and by being able to tweak your diet to get the glucose readings down, you might just surprise your doc in July with totally normal tests. It does happen a lot!

You also asked about target blood sugars. Well, the ADA has some ridiculously high recommendations. According to them, going to bed with a 180 glucose reading is hunky dory. Obviously, they just want to keep people dependent on drugs, because that is insanely high.

Dr. Bernstein, however, believes in a target of 85 two hours after eating, before bed, and on awakening. 85 is the magic number for normal people, and diabetics should strive for that. He, being type 1 and needing some insulin, keeps his glucose at 90 just to have a little insurance against going hypoglycemic (low blood sugar). As a type II on low-carb who does not take insulin or drugs, you don't have to worry about going hypoglycemic. Isn't that nice? The only time I go slightly hypo is if I take too much Geromatrix (herb formula), but that does not happen often and is never very bad--I just get slightly shaky and drink a V-8 to snap out of it.

Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions. Maybe some others will jump in and give you their opinions as well.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Linda, I concur with all the advice given so far. Reading Dr. Bernstein's book and finding out what foods caused blood sugar raises was helpful in both lowering blood sugar and losing weight (still have a ways to go on both). For me, tomatoes are a real culprit and, had I not read Dr. Bernstein's book, I would never have made the connection. Ham (not bacon or any other pork product) also raised my blood sugar (along with fluid retention).

As far as the finger poking goes, I never use the tips anymore but the sides. Also running warm water over your fingers and/or shaking your hands before poking will help. Hate it when I don't get enough blood (and I use the One-Touch, so don't need much).

Good luck in getting the bs under control and how great that you have a doctor who is a low-carb advocate.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much everyone for all the great advice. I will probably go out this weekend and check into those meters.

I appreciate all the detail on the lancets, etc..... This is all so new to me. I printed up all of your responses and comments so I will have it with me when I shop.

I cannot thank you all enough. You know, when I found out about having diabetes, I was thankful that I had the knowledge of low-carbing since I have been doing it since 1998; but I still felt so lost! I literally got so scared that I started crying at work in front of all my co-workers (the doctor's phone call came right as we were finishing up a huge meeting in the conference room in my main office downtown), and I was soooooo embarrassed. Luckily, my doctor is an advocate of low carb, and south beach, etc.... So she recommended staying low carb and told me to continue my exercise routine that I have been on through my whole thyroid struggle of two years now. I have had hypothyroidism for about 15 years now, but it's been controlled with medicine; until two years ago, all of a sudden my thyroid went whacky, and grew nodules, and ended up with a huge goiter which shut my metabolism down, so I suddenly put on tons of weight even while low carbing and exercising! It's been quite the struggle! My Endo figured the diabetes was brought on and related to the thyroid complications and weight gain. She is more south beach than atkins (just wants me to limit the amount of fat/calories such as bacon, chicken skin, etc... for better weight loss as I am still struggling with my thyroid issue); and hopefully once she gets that under control, the weight will start coming back off! And if I lose the weight, she said that it should also help bring my bs reading down as well.

It sure helps to have support from people like you on this board; a doctor can only tell you so much, but you can really learn from individuals who are living with it every day. And it helps to talk about it with somebody that understands! Thank you again for all your help! It has really helped me accept the fact that I have this disease; but it has also helped me realize I can still live a "normal" life as long as I continue to put the effort into watching my health! Kudos to all of you............
Old 05-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jewels
Excellent article on low carb, high fat and diabetes.

http://health.msn.com/centers/diabet...ntid=100150895
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
If you haven't already, you might want to "talk" with nonstickpam about thyroid issues. She is a thyroid patient advocate and really, really knows about thyroid issues.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abbott
Start Date: April 2000
Julie, that was really a very good article. Thank you for bringing our attention to that.

I sure wish that I known years ago that low, low carbs was the way to keep insulin resistance from getting its way.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott View Post
Julie, that was really a very good article. Thank you for bringing our attention to that.

I sure wish that I known years ago that low, low carbs was the way to keep insulin resistance from getting its way.
You're very welcome. Actually someone in the Playground posted it.
Did you ever connect with Babette, the gal moving to Whidby?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abbott
Start Date: April 2000
Julie I did contact Babette and even went by her house that she has purchased. Her house is actually on my way to the post office where I pick up my mail each day. We also discovered that she had looked at a house that was across the road from my house and had actually remembered seeing my house.

She seems really friendly and will be a wonderful neighbor and addition to the Whidbey community.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope to meet you then in June. I think she's planning a BBQ for some us from Golden Years that met serveral years ago. It will be fun.

Is your name Linda?
Old 05-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #200
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap36 View Post
Okay. Am I the only diabetic left here? I'll check in anyway! Finally my bs are down! This morning it was actually 140. Yesterday my morning was over 300 even though the daytime was around 100-110. Gee, i guess the insulin actually works!
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hi, hello!!

I haven't had to go on insulin yet and hope I can keep myself off of it permanently by eating better. I've been type 2 for about 18 months or so, maybe longer, but that's how long diagnosed. It was months before I found this forum and low carb, it's been a huge help to me.

Way to go on getting your readings to 140 from the 300s! I started out about there and have managed to pull myself into pretty low to normal numbers by eating low(er) carb and taking 500mg Metformin once a day. I tried going off of my medication completely, but I would have to keep carbs at literally next to nothing (like 10 or less) to be within good target range without it. My doc said she'd rather I ate more carbs and took the meds if needed because it's healthier overall for me.

I am amazed at the differences we all experience having diabetes... What works for one, won't always work for others, and it's harder for some to get their sugar under control.

I've been following your progress, just wanted to say 'hi' and congrats on getting your numbers down. That is BIG! Keep up the good work!!

Karyn[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #201
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
Excellent article on low carb, high fat and diabetes.

http://health.msn.com/centers/diabet...ntid=100150895
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Thank you! Very interesting... When they referenced the Eskimos, it mentioned their diet consisting of roughly 3% of carbs--wow!

I don't know if I could eat so low in carbs, but if I were able to function in a healthy way and not have to take meds at all, it might be worth considering.

Wonder if it's truly (comfortably) doable long-term though?

Karyn[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
Start Date: 6-14-03
Hi Linda, and welcome to my (our) world.

Seriously, it is not as bad as your fear can make it seem. I can still remember how freaked out I was when I was diagnosed about 7 years ago. I was at a festival and the diabetic association was doing free screenings. I was just finishing off an ice cone, down to the syrup in the bottom. My blood sugar came out at 222. Not good, not at all. I was in a panic. Visions of amputations, blindness, dialysis, etc. spinning thru my mind. I felt like I shouldn't eat anything because I wasn't sure what to eat. I made my doctor get me in asap and was started on metformin (glucophapge). And finally got a meter. The metformin kept the levels down for the most part. I took the diabetes education classes and met with a nurse and a nutritionist. They gave the standard ADA line about how much carbs I could have. They recommended 13 servings per day (at 15 grams per serving)! It took me another couple years before I found Atkins. Thank goodness.

You asked what foods that work for others don't work for me. One is canteloupe, one of the fruits that is often okay to add back in as you go up the carb ladder after induction. It raises my blood sugars. Another thing I have learned is that grains don't work for me. Even in a small amount. Flax is a grain. It is in many low carb products. Low carb products in general don't do me any good. Many have soy and I need to avoid soy due to my hypothyroidism. So there go all the low carb wraps and cereals, etc. Dairy is not my friend either, except for the occasional yogurt. Without sugar. Cheese, so yummy, not in my plans. And nuts, they are too addictive for me. Any food that calls my name is not my friend. And the perfect egg... I seem to be intolerant of eggs. They don't mess up my weight loss, in fact they sort of help it, if running to the bathroom multiple times can count as help.

The best way of eating for me is to stick to mostly meats and veggies. People talk about how getting bored with what you eat is bad, but I really think I do better with boring. I am trying to find whatever excitement I need in other areas of my life, not in my diet. And I have plenty of that.
dreamerdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Boy Dee, you are so right. Sometimes it takes a while to identify what those foods etc are for you. I was not smart and didn't do anything much about my diabetes for many years. It won't affect me I told myself. Now THAT'S not a good attitude! Stick with what you're doing and you'll come out on top!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #204
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/163.4/130
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
A low carb barbecue for sure, Linda and Julie. Linda - will you be stopping by to help me unpack and organize the kitchen?

I posted this on the Goldies board but no one seems to have replied to it:

I saw my endocrinologist last week. My HemA1c is normal, my daily blood sugars are normal, my arteries show no build up, my eyes show no signs of diabetic damage, and he is well satisfied that I am controlling my type 2 with Atkins, and have been for 4 years.

Nonetheless, I still have some diabetic symptoms: Dawn phenomena, a thing that looks like a huge mole on my leg that a biopsy said was related to diabetes, extreme fatigue whenever I go over 50 grams of carbs per day which I do not do very often and I am no longer losing weight on 40 - 50 grams per day, but not gaining, either, and occasional neuralgias in my feet.

After some discussion, we decided I should begin taking a new med called Januvia as a preventative measure. My doc is thin as a rail and he, himself, takes meds as a preventative measure as, like me, diabetes runs in his family.
I have not been able to take other meds because I am allergic to needles so cannot take any injectables, and other tablets made my blood sugar drop too low.

Is anyone else taking Januvia? Does it help any with weight loss?

So I begin tomorrow. Anyhow, he said no one knows why some people with normal blood sugar have diabetic symptoms, but I neglected to ask him how common that was.

Do many of you have diabetic symptoms even when your blood sugar is consistently normal?
Old 05-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #205
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: MANHATTAN NYC - click on ''MAMZELLE" directly below for more photos.
Gallery: MAMZELLE
Stats: LIFETIME MANTENANCE
WOE: ATKINS "ORIGINAL" DIET - why tamper with success!!
Start Date: as Patient when the Maestro's FIRST book came out
ANY DIABETICS [W/OR WITHOUT HIGH BP] TAKING SMOKING PATCH ETC.

I desperately need immediate help. I'm Diabetic with high blood pressure for at LEAST 5 years [but I know much longer undiagnosed, and have been on ONLY diet to get it down, no meds yet] and went down to only 1 or 1 & 1/2 packs a day [on my BEST days, when NOT getting upset or having a crisis]......

I'm in between doctors and can't get to my new one yet, but MUST stop smoking or will lose my 55 year old family co-op [already given a date to vacate.... if you've seen my other post] , and I'm too sick and exhausted to move AND with no place else to go and only saying I've STOPPED smoking will give me at least a CHANCE of reconsideration and even THAT is only a ''maybe'' I cannot LIE to them.....

I've cut down to half and that didn't help. Neighbors are still complaining although none of them who are directly 'around' my apartment, others are although this IS NOT a smoke-free building.....

The building's lawyers who sent me this notice a 2nd and FINAL time nevertheless seem confident because it is classified as objectionable ""ODORS"".... I've TRIED to stop and CAN'T, not even after having read Allen Carr's book, and scared to death of taking patch, or any other smoking remedies because of my Diabetes and Hypertension.....

[If anyone is also familar with our RIGHTS in NON smoke-free buildings, co-ops etc., that would help as well, my family HAS smoked here for 55 YEARS and not a single word was said till only a YEAR ago, and with NOBODY ever saying they smelled smoke even up to a YEAR ago!! long story]......

I need to hear if Diabetics and/or those with also Hypertension [I have BOTH] are taking any of those remedies and if it's SAFE. Please HELP, I must do something IMMEDIATELY to change this situation or I'll be in the street .....or worse.

No lectures please, I need a DIRECT answer to my DIRECT question about DIABETICS on REMEDIES ONLY. Thanks so much.

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 05-06-2007 at 04:34 PM..
MAMZELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:09 PM   #206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You won't like my response from an ex smoker. But here goes anyway.
All I can say is, it is to your best interest all the way around to quit smoking. You know it will kill you don't you or right now, put you on the streets?

I quit many years ago after the Drs. refused to treat me until I quit. Health reasons then. I tried cutting down so many, many times. The best is to just go cold turkey. Cutting down won't work. Oh it'll work for a little while and then you'll be back to the same amount as before but I think you already know that.

It sounds like you're not willing to or you COULD do it. It's all in the mind. Yes, there is some physical addiction but I can tell you it's MORE mental than anything.

Please do yourself a favor and kick this habit.
High BP and diabetes have horrendous side effects. Do you want to live out the rest of your life with these? Amputations, kidney disease, blindness etc.

Babete, I have no symptoms. Although I only had pre-diabetic numbers I also have gotten them down since Low Carbing.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome to Washington, Begete! I am probably less than 50 miles from your new home as the crow flies, over in Quilcene (south of Port Townsend).

Congrats too on your weight loss and tremendous health improvements.

I was wondering what you and your doc are calling "normal" blood sugar and exactly what was your A1C. Dr. Berstein uses totally normal as normal, but some doctors are a little more liberal about it. (And the ADA is insanely liberal). Maybe you aren't truly normal? (blood sugars, I mean--LOL)

My blood sugars are still about 20% above totally normal. I'm aiming for an average of 85 to 90 and an A1C at or below 4.5. Right now my carb grams have been between 10-20/day, but I tend to overeat protein. If I eat more than 25 grams of carbs a day, I get neuropathy in my toes. I'm doing Kimmers for a little while to see what that will do for me.

Have you tried using ALA or R-ALA for neuropathy?

Last edited by mermaid; 05-07-2007 at 09:04 AM..
Old 05-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Is lack of concentration a sign of diabetes? I'm having a horrible time concentrating.

Mermaid, if you ever get over the Kitsap mall and want to meet for coffee, let me know. That would be fun to meet.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Julie, I was just at the Kitsap Mall yesterday letting DD play in the play area near where Mervyn's used to be. I'll let ya know next time we get over that way. I'm usually with my 5-year-old, though, so if you're not into kids, now's the time to speak up! (LOL). Occasionally I do get over there by myself too, but not often.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #210
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/163.4/130
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Quote:
My blood sugars are still about 20% above totally normal. I'm aiming for an average of 85 to 90 and an A1C at or below 4.5. Right now my carb grams have been between 10-20/day, but I tend to overeat protein. If I eat more than 25 grams of carbs a day, I get neuropathy in my toes. I'm doing Kimmers for a little while to see what that will do for me.

Have you tried using ALA or R-ALA for neuropathy?
Nice to meet you, Mermaid. You are invited to the LC barbecue Julie is planning, too Just kidding, Julie. Everyone is welcome and I am looking forward to meeting all the WA LC friends we haven't already met, and see old LC friends again - and often...including all bichons!!

My HemA1c is usually about 5.7. Although first thing in the morning, my sugar can be as high as 109-112, during the day they are seldom over 95.

The neuropathy in my toes is driving me crazy. What is ALA and R-ALA? I just started the Januvia today.

Mamazelle - I would like to join Julie in urging you to just quit smoking. We all know how hard it is and we all did it. I am a lawyer, and I do not think smokers have the right to impose their smoke on their neighbors no matter how long it was before there were complaints.
Begete is online now   Reply With Quote