Old 03-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #151
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONAH'S GRANNY View Post
I didn't take the cinnamon for very long. I find now I can keep my blood sugar down by just eating lower carb and avoiding junk. My fasting readings are now running in the 70's.

Dumb question but what exactly is A1c compared to glucose readings?
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Woo hoo! In the 70s for fasting? That is AWESOME! And just with low carb... Way to go. My fasting numbers aren't that good, usually somewhere between 85 and 105. I was seeing consistent readings at 85-88 but something seems to have changed for me, and it takes me until later in the day to see numbers that low now. I am actually diabetic though, and if I'd known a couple of years ago, maybe LC would have worked for me too. I've lost 50 pounds since diagnosis, so LC helps a LOT.

And no dumb question either...

This site explains the difference in good detail:

http://www.diabetestoolbox.com/HbA1c.asp

Essentially, here's the answer to your question:

<< [COLOR="DimGray"]What is the hemoglobin A1c test?
The hemoglobin A1c test (also called H-b-A-one-c) is a simple lab test that shows the average amount of sugar (also called glucose) that has been in a person's blood over the last 3 months. The hemoglobin A1c test shows if a person's blood sugar is close to normal or too high. It is the best test for a health care provider to tell if a person's blood sugar is under control.

Where does self-monitoring of blood glucose fit in?
Self-monitoring of blood glucose is also very important. A finger-stick test using a blood glucose meter measures the actual level of sugar in the blood at the time of the test. The meter reading is reported in milligrams per deciliter (mg/dl). [/COLOR]>>

Good for you on your 70s, I aim for that average everyday, but I'm not doing too badly... just not as good as you.

Karyn [/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #152
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Thanks Karyn. Wish we could hear from some of our other posters. Would love to know how they are doing. You sound like you are doing great. Sounds like you are certainly controlling the diabetes and losing weight too. Isn't that wonderful
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Hi y'all. I'm still hanging in there with low carb and pretty happy with how it's going. I still do have to take a lot of herbs and supplements to keep my blood sugar low (I aim for a normal 80 to 90, not the ADA recommendations). I am very slow at losing weight, but I think losing another 30 pounds or so should help a lot, since all that fat sitting on my middle section is producing hormones that whack my system out (from what I've read anyway).

Right now I'm really into flax (see current threads for recipes), using progesterone cream, eating coconut oil, keeping fats at about 50% of calories per day, trying to only eat 60 grams of protein per day (more gets converted to glucose), walking at least one mile per day, and taking Geromatrix blood sugar formula to keep blood sugar down. Other supplements: Nature's Way Alive vitamins, cinnamon extract, gymnema sylvestre (rebuilds beta cells in pancreas) guggul for thyroid, epidemium, eleuthero, coral calcium, goji berries, alpha lipoic acid, acetyl l-carnitine, Emergen-C, and shilajit. I hope to cut some of those out as I turn my health around, but right now they all seem to be helping keep my energy up and blood sugar down.

I think I need to increase exercise to at least one hour per day but right now I'm happy with doing a half-hour on most days. I'll eventually get more active as the weight comes off.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
mermaid have not ever heard of geromatrix blood sugar formula and a google didnt bring it up . Can you tell me what this is please?
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:13 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Geromatrix does come out at the top of a google search. The specific formula I use is actually called Glucose Balance. They have another one as well, but I just use the Glucose Balance. Please PM me if you need further info.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
whats in the formula
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Geromatrix is a bunch of chinese herbs that I don't recognize. Their site lists the ingredients. All I can say is that it's powerful stuff. Other good ones are Nature's Way Blood Sugar formula (causes about a 10% drop with 2-3 capsules, costs $7 per bottle) and Insulife.

I read that taking gymnema sylvestre can increase beta cells in the pancreas, so I take that, but don't notice any direct blood sugar change from it.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisap36
Stats: 295/279.5/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 05/06/2013
I've been back on Atkins for about 3 weeks (tomorrow). I was off my meds/insulin because nothing seemed to be working and I got frustrated (and stupid). I've started back on my Metformin and glyburide so we'll see. My bs have been in the 300s. I'm being patient and they're slowly going down. This is a great thread. Thanks for all the info.
lisap36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Lisa, I'm so glad to see that your bs's are slowly dropping. Hang in there and you'll do great things!!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Mermaid.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abbott
Start Date: April 2000
I have to share this as I am so excited that finally I have gotten my BS to drop.

I am very insulin resistant and have been my whole life. I am on metformin 1,500mg. This with a low carb diet has kept my numers steady during the last year without any spikes. My Dr. has tried all the natural items and nothing has changed those numbers including cinnamon and alpha Lipoic acid.

Dr. Berstein mentioned in his book about taking R-alpha lipoic acid (r-ALA) instead of the alpha lipoic acid (ALA) indicating that it was a lot more effective. I had been taking the regular ALA 200mg twice a day for several years. I replaced the ALA with the r-ALA and within 48 hours it dropped my blood sugar into the 90 range from the 130 range. I made sure that I was still consistant with what I had been doing with food and exercise prior to starting the r-ALA.

The r-ALA is manufactured by one company and is called Insulow. It has biotin with the r-ALA which Dr. Berstein says is very important.

If anyone else has tried it or gives it a try I would be interested in your experience.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for that info, Abbott. I was taking ALA 600 mg/day and noticing some blood sugar lowering and good feeling with that. I'm anxious to try the r-ALA now to see what it does. I'm still about 15% above normal, and I'm aiming for totally normal non-diabetic blood sugars. It may not occur until I get to a normal weight, but I'll keep trying for sure. I know its possible.

I noticed that I'm right across the water from you!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Mermaid, I am on the east side of Whidbey island near the center. We have been here for 3 years and really love it. Have you lived there vey long?

It looks like our goal and problems are the same.... But WOW is it frustrating and difficult (and time consuming) to work the issues. How did you lose your weight? Details??? I have found that higher fat helps more than anything else, but I do find it hard to stick with it. It even keeps my BS #'s down, but not as low as I want them.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Abbott,
I've been in Western Washington about 27 years, and on the Olympic Peninsula about 17 years. I wouldn't live anywhere else (although a month or two in Hawaii every winter would be great).

I first Atkins dieted in the 90's. My goal then was to see how much I could get away with eating every day and still lose or maintain weight. I also had the goal of going back to "normal" eating when I got skinny. Well, that was severely idiotic. I lost 40 pounds, but went back to "normal eating" and got fatter than ever with diabetes and low thyroid.

When I got to 292 pounds in 2002, I started walking. My lethargy and fatigue made it really hard to do any activity at all, but I persevered. I did not make any dietary changes except reducing portions and lost 30 pounds that way. At 262 pounds, one year ago, I self-diagnosed diabetes (360 bg that would not come down, even withs starving) and went back on Atkins immediately. Now I see my mistakes so clearly, but I can't really explain why I was such a stupid little piggy for so long. Sheesh!

Now I am 100% committed to low carbing for life, although constantly looking for better ways to do it. My goal to get to a normal weight and resolve my diabetes completely, for good. I have settled on high fat/just enough protein, and seem to gravitate to veggies, yogurt, and flax. I never feel very good without the veggies, so I'm sacrificing fast weight loss for that reason. I'll just have to take it slow. Sometimes I get envious of seeing people lose huge amounts of weight in a short period of time, but whenever I try that, I feel awful. I still walk, do T-Tapp, and just bought a rebounder to try that out, although excessive boobage may make that difficult.

Guess that's enough rambling. This is my favorite thread because I really really want diabetics to know that low-carbing, in some form, is the key to lowering blood sugars. Yeah it takes pereseverance, and yeah supplements and exericse are important too, but LC'ing is the most important thing to do.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jewels
I just started reading this thread since finding out I'm pre-diabetic.

mermaid, I'm on the Kitsap Peninsula!!!
Small world isn't it?

Abbott, Whidbey Island? Wow, this is a small word. There is a gal on the Golden Years named Babette who just bought a house on WI and moving there the end of May. maybe you two can connect with her. Both LCarbing and all.

So what some of you are saying is to curtail your protein? How long in protein do you mean? Low carb, low protein, mostly fat? Or just the supplements you mentioned?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Julie, it is nice to see a few folks in my area. I'm open for a buddy group or whatever with you guys, including Babette.

About the protein question. My goal every day is to eat no more than 20 to 25 grams of protein at a meal, and I try to eat 3 meals with no snacking (as per leptin rules from the Mastering Leptin book). Sometimes I need a fourth meal to not go to bed hungry. If I ever turned into a super jock or something (ya never know!) I would probably require a little more protein. I am also trying to keep carbs down below 20 grams per day, because that's what works for me right now. Some days it probably goes up around 30 when I eat extra veggies or yogurt. I add liberal fats in the form of butter, cream, cheese, coconut oil, flax oil, cod liver oil, unrefined palm oil, olive oil, avocadoes, eggs, and fat meats.

Since you are not fully diabetic and are maintaining, you could be more liberal as long as you are careful not to trigger cravings. I am actually perplexed that you are pre-diabetic at 126 pounds, having low-carbed for what looks like a few years and being so active on the forum. Do you have any ideas how you came to be pre-diabetic? Is it genetic?

What, if any, supplements are you taking? What's your fasting glucose?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

mermaid, I live in Bremerton. I'll tell Babette about you two. LOL

My sister is type 2 diabetic. Surprise because I know of no one else in our family with it. I do have a big waist since Menopause. way to big for my little body. I'm short, 5'1˝". I started getting real shaky after about 25 min. into exercise so went to Walmart and go myself a meter. Had a A!C done in Jan. and it was only 5.8 but fasting has been running between 100-118. I've brought it down from 115-127 by being stricter with my foods and eating a little carbs before bed.

The only supplements are vitamin's, glucosamine, fish oil etc.
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, you're definitely borderline. Most likely it is the middle fat, from what I've read. You may want to experiment with some of the supplements that bring down blood sugar: cinnamon extract, Nature's Way blood sugar formula, Insulife, Geromatrix Glucose Balance, R-alpha lipoic acid, vitamin C, progesterone cream, etc. Gymnema sylvestre has also been shown to increase pancreas beta cells over time, although it does not have an immediate impact. I think I also already mentioned T-Tapp too--just a 15-minute video workout that requires no equipment, and is no impact. That really works on the gut area and balancing hormones.

One of the things I've read in a few diabetes books is that letting borderline diabetes go most often leads to progression to full-blown diabetes. So somehow (even possibly resorting to prescription drugs), it would be good to get your bg's down. My A1C was 5.3 last time, and probably is a little lower now due to the diet/herbs/exercise. According to Dr. Bernstein, it should be in the 4's.

~~I live near Quilcene and visit Silverdale sometimes for shopping. My 5-year-old DD likes to play in that little play area at the mall when it's bad weather.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

mermaid, I go back the end of June for another A1c/fasting BG and cholesterol tests. I am now taking Niacin for high LDL and the Dr. is more concerned about that at the moment. So we'll see if that helps it.

I don't think I should add anything in while experiementing with the niacin right now. I do put a heaping tsp. of cinnamon in my yogurt every day.
I'll look for T-Tapp. Do you know what stores might carry it?
Old 04-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Isn't it a small world. My husband is retired military and we are always surprised at how often we run into past friends from across the country.

Mermaid, It is really interesting to read your comments.... a lot like my experiences. I agree with you about the middle fat. In fact my Dr. was indicating that they have a lot of new research on that and it is really showing the impact it is having on BS.

Julie, I'm glad you are catching the BS early. The more you learn about it the more effective you will be. My BS was actually higher than it is right now in the 1970's and the Dr's were telling me that I was fine...no problem. Our Medical Group treats high cholesterol with niacin prior to trying drugs. My husband has a family history of problems with cholesterol and by taking 800mg a day has kept it under control.

I had my 3 month Dr. visit yesterday. My A1c was 6.4. We had a good visit and lot of interesting information obtained. I am on 1,500mg of Metformin. I was very concerned that I had found in the last couple of months my fasting BS had really gone up. No spikes just a steady number around the clock. In the last 4 days my fasting BS average dropped by 20 points with 400mg of the R-ALA. The Dr. decided not to add any further medication and see what happens in the next 3 months. Currently BS is + or - 100. My goal is no addtional medication. Of course I am sure the damage already done will determine that in the future.

The Dr. indicated that there are 4 things that can impact and lower BS: weight, exercize, food and medication. Each person has to deal with all 4 items, but each person is also unique in what they need to do and the amount of damage that has already been done when they start treating the BS. She felt strongly that the earlier we ensure that our BS does not go over 90-100 the less damage we have to our body. That sure agrees with what you said Mermaid.

I have found for me that I must watch the carbs (low) at any meal or snack and I must add fat to this to keep the cravings away. I also have found that I need to have some protein, but I also found that too much protein will add some weight to the scale. The fat does not seem to have an impact on my weight....at least if I do not overeat!! Exercise is important but I have not figured out what is ideal for me. I am active every day, but with no specific exercise program.

Sorry about the long post....

Linda
Old 04-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Everywhere you hear about the middle fat being so bad but no where do I see what to do about it. I don't really need to lose weight and you can't spot exercise so what's the answer. Maybe I could lose another 5 lbs but the Dr. didn't think I needed to. I wonder if it would help.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Julie,
According to Teresa Tapp, Joyce Vedral, and Matthew Furey you can indeed spot-reduce, and they show you how to do it with their programs that are easily done at home. Besides specific exercises, hormonal regulation will also reduce fat around the middle. I can't give you any advice in that regard, but a naturopathic doctor or clinic could help you. We have plenty of those in our area. Hope you got my recent email.

Linda, it was great hearing your experiences. We sure aren't the only ones having success with low carb/medium protein/liberal fat. It may not be the key for everyone, but it is something to try if nothing else has worked. Now, if I could just stop craving more protein after my 3 ounces are eaten! I was in such a habit of pigging out on protein that it's hard to rein in.

Lorena
Old 04-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

My bs are still hanging in the 300s, even back on Metformin. I'm trying to be patient, but it's hard. How's everyone doing? This thread has been quiet!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:29 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Lisa,
That's really puzzling, and I don't blame you for being upset about it. I see that you are losing weight really well, and having those bs's even on Metformin just blows my mind.

I feel like I can't really help, but here are some thoughts (shots in the dark)
1. You are actually type 1, not producing insulin? Do you need insulin?
2. Eventually, though losing enough of your metabolically active fat, you will even out your blood sugars.
3. Is your monitor or strips out of whack?

What does your doc say? What are your test results? It sure looks like you need insulin now since low-carbing should have had a better impact by now. Low-carbing only helps with insulin resistance, not with actually producing it (except maybe over a long period of time).

My concern is that you are walking around every day with gooey sticky blood and it is doing damage, as well as stressing out your poor little pancreas and just about every other organ. It really has gone on too long now. Although I am really into natural remedies/diet, I agree with Dr. Bernstein that when you need insulin, you need insulin. That's far better than letting those blood sugars be so high.

Keep in touch Lisa.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

I am actually insulin resistant. It's funny, when I was taking insulin it wasn't changing my bs at all. I've only actually lost about 1.4 pounds, so it's definitely not coming off like I want (of course). I think having constipation didn't help my weight loss last week, it was 4 days without anything going on if you know what I mean. Finally, yesterday I went. Hope that wasn't TMI. :blush: Thanks for your input.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Hmm, can't imagine why your blood sugars are so high then. You should not go much longer without doing something more about it besides low carbing. That kind of blood sugar is really damaging.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Lisa,

I second everything that Mermaid has told you. She is right on!

Part of figuring out what is happening is to start what I call a diary. You (and your Dr.) need to see what is happening throughout the day with your BS. This is very time consuming, but it will give you vital information and just remember you will not have to keep this up forever.

I made a chart on 1 sheet of paper which covered one week. Going across I made a column for each day of the week and then going down listed each hour of the day. I then indicated BS readings and in a short format the foods I had eaten. When you look at that sheet for the whole week it can give you a picture of any trends and what might be keeping the BS up. I even expanded the notes on the chart to show the times that I was exercising.

I suggest you take your BS (1) immediately when you get up (2) within two hours after you get up, if you haven't eaten yet (3) right before each meal and snack (4) 2 hours after each meal and snack and (5) immediately before you go to bed.

If you can share the results it might help us give you some ideas. But again as Mermaid said you can have some real damage done with the BS that high and need to have some professional help in reducing it.

As I indicated in an earlier post, my Dr. reminded me that we are all at different stages of insulin resistance and diabetis and need a combination of treatments that is unique for our body. You could easily be at the point where you must have additional medications to help your body keep your BS down.

Let us know how it goes, Lisa

Linda
Old 04-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, Lisa, I took a second look, and see that those weight numbers are not all minus numbers, that you have been gaining and losing. That makes more sense.

In addition to the excellent advice Linda gave you (gotta go see the doc, maybe more meds!!), we can help you do a little diet tweaking. It's obvious you need more fiber for one thing--like lots more. I believe you are also eating too much food, but can't say for sure until I see a menu. Sorry I don't have time to wade through your previous posts to glean more info, so you'll have to do some fresh posts.

For the short term, you must do whatever is necessary to get those average blood sugars around 100 or 110. Probably that will involve meds at first. Then with a little time, diet tweaking, and exercise you may be able to wean yourself back off of meds. Metformin and insulin have not worked, so you'll just have to see what all else your doc has in his/her goody bag.

Right now, just by the seat of my pants, I would say to reduce calories to around 1200. Get 60 grams protein a day, keep carbs under 10--yes 10 grams. The rest should be good fats. Work coconut oil, flax meal, and psyllium into your diet. Easy on the dairy. No protein bars or shakes. Eat clean, like we discussed on another thread. Later, once you get your blood sugars under control, you can increase carbs and calories to a more comfortable level.

Another short term alternative is to go on the meat and egg fast (M/E). I'm not a big Kimmers fan, but the closer you can get yourself to 0 carbs the better, until your bs's come doown. Just be sure to take some psyllium if you do the M/E.

You can use ******.com or another resource to track those calories, carbs, and protein.

The last thing is walk at least 20 minutes a day, every day. More is better.

It may sound like I'm being bossy, but really it's all up to you. This is just what I would do if my blood sugars were so high (as they were a year ago).
Old 04-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Wow, this is scary. I'm getting responses that say I'm not eating enough and now that I'm eating too much. I just started back on my glyburide too, so hopefully that will help straighten things out. I am using ****** now. I'll let you know how it turns out today. Yesterday, turns out I was way over 20, (32) because I had Kung Pao Chicken without the rice. I guess the sauce is bad? I'll do better today.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Lisa, yeah that sauce is bad, loaded with sugar. If I ate kung pao chicken my blood sugar would for sure be in the 200's, even without rice, even with a small portion. You can make a low carb version of it though that is pretty tasty.

I'm not saying for sure that you're eating too much. That would depend on how much energy you're burning up in a day, and how balanced your hormones are. All I know is that 300+ blood sugars are very dangerous, and may require somewhat drastic action. Maybe the glyburide will help get it under control. It may be confusing to you, but being diabetic you do have to play by different rules than the non-diabetics on this forum. Some of what works for them may not work for "us."