Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #91
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Doulton
Stats: 212/212/130
WOE: Atkins Diabetes Revolution & Dr. Bernstein's
Start Date: January, 2007
[color=orangered] Thank you so much, everybody. I think I have had a similar journey to your own, Karyn. I always tried to be a good, compliant patient. I've been to dieticians several times (typically prompted by my doctor) and most of them have been very "Dean Ornish--" i.e. suggesting a rice diet!!!!! Or pushing the baked potato!

It's impressive to see how well people are doing here. Right now I am thinking about whether or not to follow a specific plan. I have been checking out carbs and keeping them at about 25-50 at most per day. I get my carbs in fairly small doses: a bit of fruit, a lot of spinach, celery, some from dairy products, a bit from nuts or olives. I fear some of the diets that put one into ketosis because I am so wary of shaking up my blood sugar and because the importance of fruit has been so pounded into my head. I have a carb and fiber counting book that I consult several times a day.

I certainly must start doing some more reading and rereading.

My diabetic history is complicated, perhaps, by some genetic aspects. I most certainly want to lose weight for many reasons but I cannot be certain it will affect my diabetes.

I am so glad that this forum is here.

[/color]

[color=INDIGO]GOALS:
130 pounds; maintain workouts
Ha1C >6.0
be kind; don't complain; stick to medication routine
[/color]
Doulton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Doulton,
Dietary ketosis is quite different from ketoacidosis. Dietary ketosis simply means deriving energy from your own fat, which humans have done since humans have existed. Even if you don't choose the Atkins diet, at least read about the plan and also the book they have just for diabetics. Both of them explain very well why diabetics do not have to fear ketosis.

I just did a fat fast (the Kekwick diet) for 5 days that was 90% fat and almost no carbs, and guess what? My blood sugar stabilized at 87-105, without drugs or even any herbs. Even in the middle of the night it did not fall below 87 (I checked every night to be sure). Now I am on Atkins induction ( up to 20 grams of carbs a day) and am doing fabulously. Blood sugar has not been over 110 or under 85. When I was afraid, like you, of ketosis and also hypoglycemia, I kept my carbs at about 30-40 per day, or sometimes a little more. No weight loss, and blood sugars started getting worse, and other signs of ill health creeping in.

That's just my experience, but I hope you find it helpful.

Lorena
Old 01-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #93
Junior LCF Member

[color=darkmagenta] Thank you, Lorena, for the clarification. Would you mind telling me which edition of Atkins you are using? I had a great dinner a la Atkins (my carbs came from a stir-fry of mushrooms, asparagus, and a bit of spinach) and my blood sugar two hours post-prandial is 125, a new record for me. I am very grateful. Good luck in your 2007 challenge! [/color]
Old 01-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Doulton--I'm using the 2002 edition of the New Diet Revolution. I had also checked a book out of the library that was written by Dr. Atkins's associates after he died, and I don't remember the exact title but it may have been "The Atkins Diabetes Revolution" or something like that. I found it really educational and empowering.

Another advocate of low-carbing for diabetics is Dr. Richard Bernstein, himself a type I diabetic for over 60 years. He advocates 6 grams carbs for breakfast, 12 grams for lunch, and 12 for dinner, a total of 30 per day for all diabetics to keep absolute blood sugar control.

Congrats on your 125 blood sugar, that's great and it will get even better. And it sure didn't seem that you were suffering too badly with that stir-fry!

Good luck to you too!
Lorena
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #95
Junior LCF Member

[color=darkblue] Thank you, Lorena. I am feeling good. I think that my very low-carb dinner has helped. It's almost 12:30; I am about to go to bed and I have not had my crazy cravings that so normally plague me in the evenings and more especially after about 11 PM.

How are you doing?

Natalie [/color]
Old 01-21-2007, 04:48 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Little Lamb
Stats: size22/size16/size10
WOE: Atkins Induction/Bernstein/Started Kimkins 6-07
Start Date: Jan 2007
Hope I am not butting in....

I just found this diabetic thread this morning and read all the posts starting from the beginning. I just joined the LCF recently and am a low carb restarter. I was very successful on the plan and lost a lot of weight and was starting to feel really well, about 5 1/2 years ago but made the mistake of eating just one high carb meal and drinking wine with it and I got completely thrown off my eating plan; so here I am starting over. I just finished a pretty successful Atkins induction, even though I have had some really tough times. My mood swings are driving me nuts. Family hx includes heart disease, diabetes, the whole gamut. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia and "prediabetes" a few years ago and have an autoimmune disease for which I see a rheumatologist. My son, an MD, wants me to get tested for Type 2, he is sure I already have it, based on symptoms. My 48 year old younger brother had a heart attack just 3 weeks ago and my older brother aged 55 is a diabetic amputee, probably in the final stages.... kidney failure, blindness, congestive heart failure, etc. His doctor said, "People in your condition aren't alive." I am sad, scared, hopeful, determined, depressed, basically a whole gamut of conflicting emotions. I do not want to go on medication for the rest of my life; I do not want to go blind or lose my limbs. I want to get this under control. I am sick and tired of feeling absolutely awful, all of the time. I just ordered Dr. Bernstein's book, Diabetes Solution, and am already following the diet outlined on his website. I just realized yesterday, I am probably never going to be able to eat tomatoes, nuts, onions, or fruit again. It is a little overwhelming.... I know certain things Atkins allows send me into a near coma after eating them; tomatoes is one. I am thinking of getting a BG monitor and keeping track of myself. I have had so many bad experiences with our local medical practitioners, I am afraid to go to a doctor again.

I really need to connect to people who are doing this because of diabetes or other health problems, not just appearance. I am sorry to ramble on and on, but I have been awake since 2 a.m. worried that I have a brain tumor, my head feels so weird, feeling sort of down and am a little sleepy (just on my first cup of coffee).
If anyone else is following Bernstein's plan, what are your thoughts (seems like this is what I am going to have to do). Thanks for letting me rave on.... Lamb
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]"Normalizing blood sugar and insulin response is one of the most important keys to weight loss for many-if not most-people." from the book Living the Low Carb Life by Jonny Bowden[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]
I only really have to make it through today, just this ONE day! I can do that![/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]“… man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” 1 Sam 16:7b[/COLOR]
Little Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Lamb,
Far from butting in, I think your story is an important one. I noticed that just one cheat made you fall off the wagon for 5-1/2 years, and continue from that point down the road of degrading health and quality of life. That is an all to common story, and one that people new to low-carbing should pay attention to. By all means, when you cheat, get back on as quickly as possible.

I think it's great that you're doing Bernstein's. I found that 30 grams of carbs per day was actually too liberal for me, though. I'm coming out of my denial about that now, and finding success at the 20-grams per day level. Isn't it great that there is a natural, drug-free, do-it-yourself way to lose weight, keep blood sugar normal, and avoid major health problems?

I do recommend you get a blood sugar monitor. I have no insurance and get mine from ebay or Wal-mart. No prescription needed.

BTW: Some of those foods that set you off now, may not in the future, so don't get too depressed about it. Remember also that exercise is half of the plan.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Lamb,
Far from butting in, I think your story is an important one. I noticed that just one cheat made you fall off the wagon for 5-1/2 years, and continue from that point down the road of degrading health and quality of life. That is an all to common story, and one that people new to low-carbing should pay attention to. By all means, when you cheat, get back on as quickly as possible.

I think it's great that you're doing Bernstein's. I found that 30 grams of carbs per day was actually too liberal for me, though. I'm coming out of my denial about that now, and finding success at the 20-grams per day level. Isn't it great that there is a natural, drug-free, do-it-yourself way to lose weight, keep blood sugar normal, and avoid major health problems?

I do recommend you get a blood sugar monitor. I have no insurance and get mine from ebay or Wal-mart. No prescription needed.

BTW: Some of those foods that set you off now, may not in the future, so don't get too depressed about it. Remember also that exercise is half of the plan.
Mermaid, Thank you so much for the encouraging words. Putting all the pieces of this puzzle has been such a long journey! Sometimes it is just one sentence in a book or on a website that illuminates the way a bit more, isn't it? I am really glad I stumbled across Dr. Bernstein.

Although I am forever indebted to Dr. Atkins, I am really just now realizing that I will most likely have to stay in under 25 carbs for life. Wow! Certainly has readjusted my thinking.

One more thing, regarding my "cheat." In all truth it was not even a cheat, I just ate a meal at a family celebration, mentally counting carbs, choosing foods I knew were okayed by Atkins. I thought I stayed away from all "forbidden" foods but apparently had just enough more carbs than I could handle (hidden carbs in some dressing or sauce????). I also had one glass of delicious red wine (which I understood Atkins to say was okay occasionally??) which was disastrous for me. Within half an hour I was shaking and nearly fainting and since we were staying out of town with family and had several planned functions to attend, I grabbed anything and everything I could get my hands on trying to get myself functional (I now realize I was desperately trying to stabilize my blood sugar). Instead of immediately going back on induction, at the time, I concluded that Atkins would not work for me. Just shows you how confused I was! I say all this so you don't think I was trying to cheat, indeed I was trying to stay on plan. 1)I was not prepared for remaining on the plan under unusual circumstances and )2 I did not really understand the whole concept of stable blood sugars and why I had to stay on Atkins, going back to induction levels.

How I could have been so stupid I don't know? I did have medical people telling me Atkins was dangerous, so maybe I was not yet a "true believer." It has only been a few weeks since I sat down, re-analyzed and realized that I was really feeling well when (and only when) I was on Atkins. So I decided to try again and here I am. Does this make sense?

I am trying to say, I am only now realizing I won't ever be able to get away with a level of carbs Atkins allows for many of his clients, and some foods that others can eat (I am already very suspicious of tomatoes and onions) I may have to avoid forever. I think when I began reading the information on Dr. Bernstein's website, I finally became a true believer.

Sorry for the rambling, I am so mentally confused today?
Lamb
PS Any recommendations on a brand of glucose monitor? I have ordered 2 books by Bernstein this week and plan to follow him to the letter....Thanks again for talking to me....
Old 01-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for joining in, Little Lamb. You certainly have my sympathy and compassion. It's rough to deal with illness in the family. I am so sorry to hear about your brothers. There is indeed a real genetic link and your son is wise to recommend that you see a doctor. I would most urgently suggest that you consult an endocrinologist and that you invest in a blood glucose meter. Many insurance companies will pay for them. My mother was diagnosed at age 77 and my brother, who is one year younger than I am, was diagnosed a few years ago. My youngest sister had gestational diabetes. There most certainly is a family link.

I totally agree that one slip can lead to an insane way of eating and that we must always be careful.

Today I made a commitment to the Bernstein plan. Yesterday I followed it and this morning my bg was 98. For me that is a miracle since I have very recently had am readings in the high 200s! It made me more motivated.

So here's what I am doing: 1) taking the meds that my doctor has prescribed--sure, it would be great not to take them, but I will as long as I need them.

2) eating low-carb and researching everything I put in my mouth if not through labels than through a handy carb and fiber counter book I have

3) increased my commitment to working out and must go to the gym at least three times a week in my busiest weeks and 5 times in less busy weeks

4) take my blood glucose several times a day

5) Make a very concerted effort not to nibble and snack after 11 PM. Late night eating has always been my biggest food challenge and it seemed as if I would put any kind of unpalatable junk in my mouth as long as I could put something in my mouth! How suicidal is that?

and finally
6) Taking things easier and trying to avoid stress.

Some of my other habits include not using any kind of artificial sweeteners. I don't like how they taste and I fear that they might lead to a jones for sugar.

Some of the things I have done successfully:
given up tobacco
given up all alcohol aside from the very occasional small glass of wine
removed all "junk food" from my house
learned how to shop wisely

Best of luck. I hope that you can come back and post again.

Natalie
Old 01-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #100
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulton View Post
taking the meds that my doctor has prescribed--sure, it would be great not to take them, but I will as long as I need them
[COLOR="Teal"]Hello, little lamb and welcome to the boards! I'm so glad we've gotten some life into this folder, I think even after a year of being diabetic and learning all I can as I've come long, I can never learn too much... And I enjoy the interaction with, and information shared, among others with diabetes because it keeps me in touch and realizing what I can accomplish plus what is realistic.

Natalie, when I was diagnosed and began in earnest to get myself at a healthier weight and better average glucose results, I seemed to have a personal goal of getting OFF my meds, the Metformin. I thought unless I could make my sugars "normal" AND do it all without the benefit of medication then I probably wasn't doing all I could to make myself better.

I think I went a little gung ho.

Not that I don't think we shouldn't all do what we can, the best we can, to be "normal" but that we don't run our poor bodies into the ground trying to reach a level of perfection that just isn't necessary.

Losing weight and being careful with foods (carbs, sweets) has brought me much success, but I think (now) that taking medication is not at all a "bad" thing, and it's certainly made me more successful at weight loss and blood sugar control. It's not the bad guy!

My doctor even mentioned in the beginning that taking insulin could bring my sugar under control quickly, and I balked... Oh, no, not insulin!!

I didn't have to take it, but the thing is, I don't fear it like I did... except that since I have done so well with low carbing, I'd worry my diabetes had really escalated if she suddenly suggested it today.[/COLOR]

Quote:
given up tobacco
removed all "junk food" from my house
learned how to shop wisely

Best of luck. I hope that you can come back and post again.

Natalie
[COLOR="teal"]Woo-hoo, Natalie, you go girl!!

Those are some major accomplishments, especially the tobacco...

I have my good days and my um, okay, maybe I won't be so good today days. But the thing is, no matter what I eat, I make the choice to eat it, I don't let it get out of control, and you do not have to give up every single food you love forever.

I spent my first few weeks as a (confirmed) diabetic in somewhat of a daze thinking every single food I had eaten as a staple and/or loved was now forbidden to me. I couldn't cry, all I could seem to do is SIT THERE. Thinking.

But months later I do have tomatoes, onions, bread, sodas... lots of GOOD food. Sure, I eat 1 cherry tomato rather than 10 of them, and make it a bite or two of bread instead of 2-3 yeast rolls, and my love of Coke has rolled over into a love of Coke Zero, BUT I am not deprived.

You have to change your mindset, and you have to care enough about yourself and your loved ones to live the way you need to to make the most of your life. And I do not say that lightly or to make fun... I believe these words.

And I am happy you guys dropped in. Hope I don't run on too long for you. I'm just very passionate these days, dunno why.

Take care, and post often! Don't struggle alone... you don't have to.

Karyn [/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #101
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Lamb View Post
Any recommendations on a brand of glucose monitor? I have ordered 2 books by Bernstein this week and plan to follow him to the letter....Thanks again for talking to me....
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Hi, Lamb, did you find anything on a monitor?

I think several of us like and trust the results of the Lifescan models, I've personally used three different ones of theirs--all of them with the word "ultra" in the name--and I carry the small one on the main page with me all the time. http://www.lifescan.com/

Are you familiar with testing and recording your results?... I keep mine in a spreadsheet because I can average my results that way. Follow Dr. Bernstein's methods, if you like, but a good rule of thumb is 4 times a day: fasting, 2 hrs after meal 1, meal 2, and meal 3, and I think some even test before bedtime.

Keeping several days or weeks of results will help you start seeing patterns to what foods cause what reactions in your body.

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:02 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Ditto on Karyn's advice about getting a lifescan monitor, such as the one touch ultra. However, I hate their lancet device. I like the lancet device that comes with the accu-chek active (and the meter is a good one too). Right now Wal-mart has the accu-chek active for $5 that comes with the softclix lancet device. The soflclix is so gentle I barely feel it, and sometimes I'm surprised to see the little bead of blood since it didn't feel like I got poked at all.

One meter to definitely NOT get is anything by Abbott Labs (Precision, Freestyle, or Reli-on). I have tried all of them and they can vary 20-30 points on the SAME drop of blood. I just threw those monitors away, not wanting anyone else to get themselves in trouble with false readings. (I'm sure the next post will be someone who just LOVES theirs, but anyway that's my experience).

I was really touched by your stories, what all you've been through. I could really feel the pain of it, echoed by my own experiences. It's good to share and get the pain out into the light. It's good to have others be fair witness to your life and help you get on the right path. I'm so glad we've now found the information and support we need to turn things around and lead joyful, active, and long lives. Here's to us! It's our turn now!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:32 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

overwhelmed, humble and grateful

I can't tell how how much it means to have you guys' welcome and feedback! I am SO glad I found this thread. You all have posted so much info and so much good advice I can't yet assimilate it all and can't respond to it all! I just feel so welcome, like I really belong here, thanks to your kindness! I love LCF and all the other threads but it is very comforting to find others who are really dealing with the diabetes thing, it is such a different battle in so many ways than just a weight loss battle. I just cannot say enough thank yous to convey how I feel. I found Dr. Berstein's site last week and immediately realized "That's me!"

I realized he was talking about induction level carbs for life. I already knew it subconsciously but was not really facing it.

Just learning not to eat more than every 5 hours was revolutionary to me; I am already feeling so much better! I do much, much better without the snacks that are recommended on so many low carb diets! Wow! I had a rough couple of days, mentally, sort of "mourning" all the foods I am not going to be able to eat any more, know what I mean? Anyway, I am back on track (mentally) this morning; I can certainly live with this WOE! I am going to try to give Bernstein's plan at least a month before going in to an endocrinologist. I just don't want another doctor shedding doubt on the WOE before I am really solidly into it. It shakes my resolve!

My brothers are on the standard ADA diet; they and everyone else in the family think I am killing myself eating all this saturated fat and not eating a "balanced diet." I am so alone on this! At least my blessed DH is 100% behind me, although he wants me to see a doctor soon. Well, you guys are great; I hope we can keep this thread alive and keep helping each other. I just am so glad I found you!
Lamb
PS Going to get a BG monitor at Wally World today. Already ordered Bernstein's books online....
Old 01-22-2007, 04:51 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Today I made a commitment to the Bernstein plan. Yesterday I followed it and this morning my bg was 98. For me that is a miracle since I have very recently had am readings in the high 200s! It made me more motivated.
Natalie, that is excellent!

Quote:
So here's what I am doing:

2) eating low-carb and researching everything I put in my mouth
Same here, every bite!

Quote:
3) increased my commitment to working out and must go to the gym at least three times a week in my busiest weeks and 5 times in less busy weeks
Me too, I got out my old Nordic Track machine about 3 weeks ago and am using it 3 to 5 times a week....

Quote:
5) Make a very concerted effort not to nibble and snack after 11 PM. Late night eating has always been my biggest food challenge and it seemed as if I would put any kind of unpalatable junk in my mouth as long as I could put something in my mouth! How suicidal is that?
I can't help you with that since I fall in bed exhausted at about 9:30 every night! Hee!

Quote:
Some of my other habits include not using any kind of artificial sweeteners. I don't like how they taste and I fear that they might lead to a jones for sugar.
I agree with this although Dr. Berstein certainly allows their use; I am a little afraid of them. I may use them sparingly but will proceed with caution....

Quote:
given up tobacco
Wonderful!!!
Ditto on all! Ex smoker/drinker here! Wine frankly scares the @#%$ out of me; family is riddled with diabetics and alcoholics....

Lamb
Old 01-22-2007, 05:02 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelthief View Post
[COLOR="Teal"]
My doctor even mentioned in the beginning that taking insulin could bring my sugar under control quickly, and I balked... Oh, no, not insulin!!

I didn't have to take it, but the thing is, I don't fear it like I did... except that since I have done so well with low carbing, I'd worry my diabetes had really escalated if she suddenly suggested it today.
[/COLOR]

Karyn, I confess I am so afraid of insulin shots and other medications!

Quote:
[COLOR="Teal"]
[COLOR="teal"]

I spent my first few weeks as a (confirmed) diabetic in somewhat of a daze thinking every single food I had eaten as a staple and/or loved was now forbidden to me. I couldn't cry, all I could seem to do is SIT THERE. Thinking. [/COLOR]
I actually did cry, like an idiot! Sort of embarrassing when you realize what really is at stake!

Quote:
[COLOR="Teal"]
You have to change your mindset
[/COLOR]
This is absolutely really the key and not the easiest thing to do considering our entire society is in denial about the food/health connection....

Thanks so much for your post! Lamb
Old 01-22-2007, 05:11 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ditto on Karyn's advice about getting a lifescan monitor, such as the one touch ultra. However, I hate their lancet device. I like the lancet device that comes with the accu-chek active (and the meter is a good one too). Right now Wal-mart has the accu-chek active for $5 that comes with the softclix lancet device. The soflclix is so gentle I barely feel it, and sometimes I'm surprised to see the little bead of blood since it didn't feel like I got poked at all.

One meter to definitely NOT get is anything by Abbott Labs (Precision, Freestyle, or Reli-on). I have tried all of them and they can vary 20-30 points on the SAME drop of blood. I just threw those monitors away, not wanting anyone else to get themselves in trouble with false readings. (I'm sure the next post will be someone who just LOVES theirs, but anyway that's my experience).

I was really touched by your stories, what all you've been through. I could really feel the pain of it, echoed by my own experiences. It's good to share and get the pain out into the light. It's good to have others be fair witness to your life and help you get on the right path. I'm so glad we've now found the information and support we need to turn things around and lead joyful, active, and long lives. Here's to us! It's our turn now!

Mermaid, thanks for the recommendations on the monitors; I am sure you have saved me some frustration. I am going to go over to Wally this morning. My next door neighbor is T1; maybe he can show me how to use this. Am I nuts to be doing this on my own, without a Dr. supervising?

I am also very glad we've found "information and support" to turn our lives around; it takes both for success, especially when attempting to swim against the tide of conventional medical thinking.... Lamb
Old 01-22-2007, 07:04 AM   #107
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Last time I was to my Endocrinologist and she told me I may be pre-diabetic I knew then I had to clean up my WOE. For the last few weeks I have cut out all the junk and high carb foods and my blood sugar readings are actually normal again. Although they never got real high, my fasting blood sugar readings have dropped 10-15 points.

Where does most people self monitor their blood sugar? My poor finger tips are all getting so sore and bruised. I'm really trying to check out how certain foods affect me.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Lamb,
It really makes me happy to see you taking control of your own health. I think you're wise to delay seeing a doctor right now, and when you finally do, try to seek out one that is Atkins or Bernstein-friendly. They do exist, but I'm not sure how to find them.

This might make you feel more confident: I don't have insurance, or the income to afford doctors and medicines. I have never been to a doctor concerning my diabetes, except when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes for a few months (5 years ago).

I diagnosed myself with a bs monitor (my first reading was 360, and I felt like I would pass out from shock alone!). After starving myself for about a week it finally dropped below 200. Yep, that's diabetes alright--no doctor required for that diagnosis.

I was lucky in that I had already done Atkins in the 90's, and when I was gestational, the hospital dietician, who herself was diabetic, put me on a modified low-carb diet--45-60 grams carbs a day. My pregnancy went great at that carb level (age 38). Low-carbing had already been proven to me, so all I had to do was get back into it, which I did last March. I'm doing just fine without any doctors telling me what to do or giving me drugs. Others in my family are being slowly killed by following their doctors' advice. The only other one who is doing well is low-carbing, but terrified of calling it Atkins. She refuses to read Bernstein.

I already discussed on this thread some of the supplements I take, and they work great. I'm finding I don't really need the ones that drastically lower blood sugar, though. Here are the basics for me:
Alive vitamins/superfoods tablets
eleuthero ginseng
cod liver oil and krill oil
coral calcium w/magnesium
thyroid glandular supplement (bovine source from New Zealand)
kelp
NSI Antioxidant booster wtih ALA
L-Carnitine--whoa! great fat burner I just started taking
Citrus aurantium (bitter orange) by Nature's Way for fat burning
Horny goat weed for kidney support and libido
I was eating goji berries, but have temporarily stopped due to carbs

Instead of wasting my money on doctors, I buy quality food, supplements, exercise videos, and new clothes for my slimmer body!

I know some people are chomping at the bit to attack me about not seeing a doctor. Nothing I haven't heard many times this year. I do want to be clear,though, that I am not telling anyone not to see a doctor. If you want or need a doctor, please go see one! A lot of people who see doctors are also successful in losing weight and controlling diabetes. At the very least, detailed blood tests would be helpful to know exactly where you're at. The more information the better. Maybe at some point I can afford the blood tests. I already have done some home A1c tests, and it dropped from 7.2 to 5.3 in two months, so it's looking good. I will test again soon.

Love you all,
Lorena
Old 01-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONAH'S GRANNY View Post
I'm really trying to check out how certain foods affect me.
Jonah's Granny,
Good for us for "cleaning up our act." Have you discovered Dr. Richard Berstein yet? My goodness, you have to read his story! I am doing what you are doing, in that I am trying to check out how certain foods affect me. I am adding individual carbs and keeping track of every bite of food that goes into my mouth and how it affects me. Are you keeping a journal? I am, it helps so much for me. I just had a bad, bad reaction to my lunch. Get this: I had 2 eggs, scrambled and 2 strips of bacon for breakfast. Felt fine (this is my usual breakfast). Lunch: Had 1/2 cup chicken breast, 1 Tbls mayo, 1 stalk celery, 1 boiled egg mixed together for a chicken salad. Served inside a half avocado with an Andre's low carb cracker. Mineral water. 30 minutes later I could barely crawl to my bed and completely crashed, felt nearly comatose and slept for an hour. Woke up with a horrible headache, irritable, and very "fuzzy". I entered the foods on ****** and they came in at around 10 carbs total for lunch. Something in that lunch hit me hard! I wish I had my bg monitor; have been waiting around all morning for the garage door repairman to come and haven't heard from him yet, so cannot leave the house. Was planning to go purchase a bg monitor this morning....

Sorry to rant, JG, have you had any super bad crashes after eating a lowcarb meal? This is so amazing, trying to ferret out what is making us feel bad..... Sorry about the sore fingers.... Lamb
PS I am so glad I am retired, I could never keep track of all this and work like I used to. I feel I am a walking science experiment....
Old 01-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Lamb,
It really makes me happy to see you taking control of your own health. I think you're wise to delay seeing a doctor right now, and when you finally do, try to seek out one that is Atkins or Bernstein-friendly. They do exist, but I'm not sure how to find them.

This might make you feel more confident: I don't have insurance, or the income to afford doctors and medicines. I have never been to a doctor concerning my diabetes, except when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes for a few months (5 years ago).

I diagnosed myself with a bs monitor (my first reading was 360, and I felt like I would pass out from shock alone!). After starving myself for about a week it finally dropped below 200. Yep, that's diabetes alright--no doctor required for that diagnosis.

I was lucky in that I had already done Atkins in the 90's, and when I was gestational, the hospital dietician, who herself was diabetic, put me on a modified low-carb diet--45-60 grams carbs a day. My pregnancy went great at that carb level (age 38). Low-carbing had already been proven to me, so all I had to do was get back into it, which I did last March. I'm doing just fine without any doctors telling me what to do or giving me drugs. Others in my family are being slowly killed by following their doctors' advice. The only other one who is doing well is low-carbing, but terrified of calling it Atkins. She refuses to read Bernstein.

I already discussed on this thread some of the supplements I take, and they work great. I'm finding I don't really need the ones that drastically lower blood sugar, though. Here are the basics for me:
Alive vitamins/superfoods tablets
eleuthero ginseng
cod liver oil and krill oil
coral calcium w/magnesium
thyroid glandular supplement (bovine source from New Zealand)
kelp
NSI Antioxidant booster wtih ALA
L-Carnitine--whoa! great fat burner I just started taking
Citrus aurantium (bitter orange) by Nature's Way for fat burning
Horny goat weed for kidney support and libido
I was eating goji berries, but have temporarily stopped due to carbs

Instead of wasting my money on doctors, I buy quality food, supplements, exercise videos, and new clothes for my slimmer body!

I know some people are chomping at the bit to attack me about not seeing a doctor. Nothing I haven't heard many times this year. I do want to be clear,though, that I am not telling anyone not to see a doctor. If you want or need a doctor, please go see one! A lot of people who see doctors are also successful in losing weight and controlling diabetes. At the very least, detailed blood tests would be helpful to know exactly where you're at. The more information the better. Maybe at some point I can afford the blood tests. I already have done some home A1c tests, and it dropped from 7.2 to 5.3 in two months, so it's looking good. I will test again soon.

Love you all,
Lorena
Lorena, Thanks for the wonderful post and the encouragement! I don't want to bash doctors, but I have a couple of horror stories that happened to me (don't we all?), so am truly leery of them (I think I mentioned my DS is a doctor, so don't anyone flame me, okay). He is an ENT, anyway. He actually diagnosed my autoimmune disease when he was in medical school! I remember when he called me up and said, "Mom, don't think I am crazy, but I think I might know what is wrong with you!" He was in the middle of his rheumatology unit at med school at the time. He was right, but it took another year to get the diagnosis confirmed. My local rheumatologist took one look at me and said, "You don't have AS, I can tell by looking at you." No xrays, no blood tests, nothing! I kid you not!! This, after I had already taken early retirement because I could barely walk. (Was bedridden nearly a year).

So now I travel 5 hours to a nearby large city to my (new) rheumatologist, who diagnosed me easily with x-rays and blood tests, in 2002. Finally, a diagnosis, after bouncing from one doc to another in my local town for years; I had my symptoms 15 YEARS, but no one would take me seriously, so I just thought I had the flu a lot more than other people and I just ignored my serious health issues! I literally felt like I might be a hypochondriac and I think my family practitioner did, too.

So yes, I totally advocate being our own medical care professionals. And regarding the diabetes, when I have been tested before, they only do a fasting blood glucose test, which apparently has never shown that I truly have the disease, so I have no diagnosis, even though I check yes to every risk factor (gestational diabetes, both my babies were over 9 pounds, family hx, etc.) and lots of the symptoms. I have had major energy swings since childhood and remember fainting a lot. I was already self-medicating at about age 9 with Wonder Bread!

I am so glad I did Atkins 5 years ago because I think it really prepared me for Dr. Bernstein, I just wish I could go to his clinic! I am so apologetic about dumping all this, but I feel like I can really relate to everything you all have posted! Yay!

Oh yes, Lorena, thanks for writing about the supplements you take. I am only taking a good quality multi, flax seed oil, potassium with iodide for thyroid, C, and coral calcium (cal/mag, my miracle pain killer!!). I know I need to add some others, not sure yet what to add. What is krill oil and what does it do? I should google it.... Do you recommend any particular brand? I am using NOW and Nature's Way. Thanks again for letting me go on and on...

Wow, another hour has passed and I am feeling better and better..... Climbing out of my black hole..... That was a real crash! Lamb
Old 01-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

I enjoy hearing from you Lamb. I really don't think you go on and on. It's important info for newbies to be able to read. Many of them will see themselves in your story.

I don't want to bash doctors either, after all Atkins and Bernstein were/are doctors, and I admire them greatly!

I'm pondering your crash today. The most likely culprit was the Andre's crackers. I have had those, and they did not do my body good. You really are best off leaving out baked goods of any kind and protein bars for now. Stick to fresh and natural foods as much as you can. I also wonder about the chicken. I had a hidden chicken allergy that was causing me all kinds of bizarre problems. One of the problems was feeling really weird in my head and low energy for a day or two. You might want to pay attention to what happens when you eat chicken for a while just to be sure.

You asked about krill oil: it's the oil of the tiny shrimp-like creatures that whales feed on in the antarctic. It has much higher antioxidant values and EPA and DHA (good for your brain) than fish oil, and it does not cause burping. It would be a good companion to flax oil.

Hope you and the others keep checking in.

Lorena
Old 01-23-2007, 04:33 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I'm pondering your crash today. The most likely culprit was the Andre's crackers. I have had those, and they did not do my body good. You really are best off leaving out baked goods of any kind and protein bars for now. Stick to fresh and natural foods as much as you can. I also wonder about the chicken. I had a hidden chicken allergy that was causing me all kinds of bizarre problems. One of the problems was feeling really weird in my head and low energy for a day or two. You might want to pay attention to what happens when you eat chicken for a while just to be sure.

Lorena
Hi, Lorena,
Lunch yesterday was the first meal I have had since restarting that contained what I would term "junk" foods (canned white meat chicken and the Andre cracker). I did carefully prepare the egg salad, but added the cracker as a last minute thought. You may be right about them. Anyway, something about the meal was bad for me.... I seem to be doing so much better on plain beef and salad and greens. As for the chicken allergy? Just don't know. Don't mind telling you I feel rotten this morning and have no energy.... I am thinking of going cold turkey off caffeine for the rest of the week and see if that helps; I have read so many conflicting things about caffeine (Atkins says no but Bernstein says yes) but will have to find out for myself if losing it does me any good. That is just about it, as far as having any other "treats" to fall back on. I love my organic dark french roast with heavy cream....too bad....

Hope you are doing well... If I can get the energy, I am going to Walmart to get a BG monitor (if the garage door guy every calls).
Lamb
Old 01-23-2007, 05:36 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathie in UT
Stats: No more scale or weighing! 5'4.5"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restarted 7/06 and again 10-2011
Goodness
Lots of new activity on the thread the past week or so.
I don't know if there is anything I can add to the discussion except to say that each person is different in the way their body reacts to the numbers of carbs that they need to funtion properly on and I suspect that if you are more reactive to things like tomatoes etc then it will be very hard to bring them back into your woe.
I have said this over and over...there is not just ONE thing that "causes" diabetes or should I say that causes the diabetic reactions and what will work for one won't always work for another. I have tried and tried to get rid of that last bit of Amryl each day but when I do my BS just goes out of control. When I spoke to my DR about the fact that one of it's symptoms is weight gain and did she have any other ideas she told me that particular med treats the problem of no insulin release and that is what my body needs and other meds won't do the same thing or if they do they will still have the same side effect of weight gain so...I am stuck for right now at least.
I sure hope that you are able to find what is going to work for you Lamb and with your family history you are so smart to get to it NOW not wait until you are like your older bro and to a point that there is no quality of life left for you. I am so sorry about both of your brothers and wish them and your family healing thoughts and peace in your heart

Found out that sizes aren't all equal working on my other 16's NOW Zipped and buttoned with much less muffin top and I can wear them in public
Cathie in UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Lamb,
Sorry you feel badly today. Most likely that will happen once in a while since you are so sensitive to certain foods, and have probably not figured them all out yet. I still have my inexplicable bad days too, although they get less bad and less often over time. You really are on the right track for the long-run, and I don't think you'll let yourself get derailed this time.

You probably aren't allergic to the chicken, but I thought I'd throw that out there as something to watch. It makes more sense to me now that it came from a can. Do you know that there are 2,000 chemicals that can be legally added to canned food that don't have to be disclosed on the label? I still eat some canned food in a pinch, most often tuna, but try to avoid it as much as possible.

Saw you on the thread about what LC foods people keep on hand. Hopefully you're getting some good ideas and will get into your own groove soon.

About the coffee: Atkins only says to give it up for the two-week induction period to break any addiction to it. I was having bad reactions to coffee last year, but find that now I can enjoy a small cup of it in the afternoons and it actually seems to do me good. Again, it's just a matter of experimenting to find what works for you, and what works can change over time.

Take Care,
Lorena

Last edited by mermaid; 01-23-2007 at 09:33 AM..
Old 01-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Quote:
Cinnamon and ALA (up to 600 mg/day) are great. My whole family just about is diabetic, and we all do well with those. In addition, there is Nature's Way Blood Sugar Control and one from geromatrix, and a great one called Insulife. There are also vitamin formulae like Well-betX that are for diabetics, and I have noticed they drop blood sugar some.

Just be really cautious with these, so you don't end up hypoglycemic, okay? Experiment in the daytime at first so you can monitor the effects and get a feel for them before taking at night. Just to give an example, sometimes one cinnamon pill can drop you 40-50 points. I do not take any meds at all, just low carb, herbs, and vitamins. I don't get hypoglycemic at all now, even when fasting.
Mermaid: Thank you so much for the advice. I'm going to look for the Natures Way Blood Sugar Control and we can start taking during the day. Do you think it will be okay for a person who is not really diagnosed as diabetic, like me? (my fasting sugars have always been okay at the doctor's office). I can't imagine a 40-50 point drop! That's amazing! Any suggestions on when to take. I recently bought a bottle and it said with meals, so we have been doing that and feel good. Again, thanks so much and sorry to have not responded back sooner. I forgot that I had posted on this thread! Hope you are doing well.
[img]3rd goal - get to Onederland by New Years Day!!
Make a lifestyle/eating change forever
Down 30 pounds after starting back July 5th
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

You're welcome Razberry. I think it will be okay to take the blood sugar control herbs as long as you're cautious about hypoglycemia. I would take it right after eating. Do you have a blood sugar monitor? If you do find yourself hypoglycemic (shaky, dizzy, disoriented), a small V-8 juice will bring you out of it without destroying your ketosis. Then eat some protein. Probably, though, because you are getting a lot of protein with low-carb you won't get hypo. Just wanted to cover that base in case.

If those herbs are too strong, you may want to consider alpha lipoic acid. It too keeps blood sugar low, and has multiple benefits as an antioxidant and fat burner as well.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #117
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Mermaid - I'm taking one pure Cinnamon Extract Pill each day. You think that will help?
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Jonah's Granny,
The cinnamon has really surprised me and my family with how potent it is. I mean, it's something we all know of as a yummy treat enhancer, and here it can help with such a serious disease as diabetes! I was reading yesterday that it is also a great antioxidant and good for heart health. I haven't read any negative things about it. Anyone wanting to try it should just monitor their blood sugar carefully to figure out how much each pill will drop it, and slowly build up to the amount they need. I'm sure it's different for everyone.

Lorena
Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Hi ladies. I started a thread on ideas to get cinnamon into my diet. Got a lot of great response. Hope everyone is having a great day. Last night I ate some lean (85%) ground meat with mushrooms and a mixture of okra, tomato, onion. Was good. Added a dash of cinnamon to the meat and okra. You couldn't really taste it, but I knew I was getting some health benefits. Also read that it killed bacteria in meat, so that was a plus.
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #120
Junior LCF Member

[color=dodgerblue]
Hello everyone! I just discovered that Dr. Bernstein is publishing an updated edition of his "Diabetes Solution" book--he had an update in 2003 and this next one is due to be published in early spring--late March of this year.

Lamb, while I know that we are all different I, too, have had a simple cracker do me in. I have had to part ways with Stoned Wheat Thins. I thought that they were good and I'd been using them in place of bread for a couple of years.

My own experience is that I can and do drink coffee and that it does not affect my blood sugars. I know that caffeine is controversial. I don't drink too much, but a couple of mugs in the morning are really enjoyable for me. Fortunately, I have always believed that sweetener interferes with coffee taste, so that's not an issue.

Jonah's Granny! You are an inspiration!

I, too, use the cinnamon but it's been quite a while (a few years) and so I really cannot measure whether or not it has helped. For me, at least, it certainly has not hurt.

One thing I do that has helped me to know about my own idiosyncratic response to foods is to watch carefully everytime I try something new. It's almost like slowly introducing a baby to solid foods. Try one new thing at a time and not two. I do better with tomatoes and onions than many people do. I do worse with crackers. I keep a journal of "yes" and "no" foods as I discover them.

I am so happy that this thread is here.

Natalie
[/color]