Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #1141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciejean View Post
Why can't any one ,some one please tell me if this is correct :bg numbers from 70 to 100 is not diabetic and if numbers from 100 to 120 is pre -diabetic,and from 120 up is full blown diabeties ?Every body say numbers differant,so what is correct ??
When my hubby was dx'd 6.5 years ago (Type 2) we went to a class once a week for 4 weeks. They told us that pre-diabetes is 100-125 and diabetes is 126 and above.

Now, I've heard that they (whoever They are) lower the numbers every so often but I haven't seen it happen yet. Evidently years ago the level was higher.

Sorry for the double post. The first one went blank so I didn't think it posted, even after a refresh of the page.

Last edited by watcher513; 08-01-2013 at 02:12 AM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #1142
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciejean
Why can't any one ,some one please tell me if this is correct :bg numbers from 70 to 100 is not diabetic and if numbers from 100 to 120 is pre -diabetic,and from 120 up is full blown diabeties ?Every body say numbers differant,so what is correct ??
Depends on who you ask. The ADA, Mayo Clinic and a few others don't consider you diabetic until you hit 125. Some others say anything over 100 or 110 or <insert number here>. Most agree that 100-124 is pre-diabetic and anything under that is 'normal'.

If normal is under 100, why do they accept higher standards for those with the genetic predisposition for diabetes? I'm thinking it's because they're trying to give realistic goals for diabetics since most diabetics will not eat the way they need to in order to get numbers under 100.

A more accurate measure, rather than the individual BG numbers is your A1c because it gives an average for what your BG has been doing over the previous 90 days. An A1c of 4-5.4 are considered to be in a healthy range; 5.5-6.4 are considered pre-diabetic and anything above 6.4 is considered diabetic.

I follow Dr. Bernstein (Diabetes Solution) who believes that diabetics (Type 1 and 2) should be using minimal medication and the way we do that is by eating in a way that doesn't put a great demand for insulin on our body. Type 1's will always take insulin. Type 2's have a chance to get off meds, depending on how burned out their own pancreas is, if they eat correctly. That was my goal.

Oh and just a side note...your numbers do not necessarily indicate whether or not you are a diabetic. Keep in mind that once a diabetic, always a diabetic. You may control it with diet alone...but you're still a diabetic. I have to monitor both my protein and keep my carbs under 25 in order to get under 100. My last A1c was 4.9 which means I'm 'averaging' out at around 90-94 for my BG...without meds...but I'm still a diabetic. Just under control with diet. If I go back to the higher carb way of eating, my BG's will go up.

Last edited by Aomiel; 08-01-2013 at 07:23 AM..
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #1143
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Michael,
Great progress! Isn't it exciting to get those BG numbers down? I always thought it was more exciting than seeing the scale go down (although that didn't hurt either).
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:51 AM   #1144
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ventnor1
Yes, I read and reread Dr. Bernstein's book. I have had Type 2 for 30 years and am now on insulin. For the last year, I tried low carb, gluten free, sugar free but have lost only 6 pounds. I gave that up and now my blood sugars are skyrocketing! How do you stay on Dr. Bernstein's diet? ( I really believe that is the only way I can control diabetes, but is there a meal plan you stick to or do you just wing it. I know the 6/12/12 but how do you incorporate it into a daily plan? Thank you!
ventnor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #1145
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joyce
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventnor1 View Post
Yes, I read and reread Dr. Bernstein's book. I have had Type 2 for 30 years and am now on insulin. For the last year, I tried low carb, gluten free, sugar free but have lost only 6 pounds. I gave that up and now my blood sugars are skyrocketing! How do you stay on Dr. Bernstein's diet? ( I really believe that is the only way I can control diabetes, but is there a meal plan you stick to or do you just wing it. I know the 6/12/12 but how do you incorporate it into a daily plan? Thank you!
When my doctor told me insulin causes weight gain, I just gave up! My insulin requirements are huge. Finally, I suppose I simply got mad at myself for eating myself into a very fluffy old woman. At only 5'1" and 230.6 lbs and seeing Betty White in her 90s with such an active life while I hobble around using a walker, I decided it was time to change my eating habits and learn to eat to live and quit living to eat. Yes, it's easier said than done. I've been there, done that before. Now I'm 83 and doing it again - this time, for life. In just three days, my blood glucose went from 250+ before dinner to only 110 before dinner! So, the rewards are almost instant. Oh - I'm unable to take any oral meds, and must rely on insulin or low carb meals to control my BG.

However, I'm unable to cook much, and I have no meal plans past one day. I read every label, and log every bite that goes into my mouth counting carbs and net carbs. If I have two eggs for breakfast, that's only 2 carbs and I feel full. A salad may be only 4-6. A hamburger with yellow mustard is zero. I had mine with some slices of cucumber. So far I have not been hungry and my carb totals are very low - not close to the allowed carbs. This morning I had a large skillet full of bacon [about 6 slices], then fried my eggs in the bacon grease. Carbs? Only 2.

Oh, and the side effect of low carb eating is weight loss. Plus a word I'm taking out of my vocabulary is DIET. I'm not on a diet; I'm managing my diabetes.

I use a software program that contains a database of ingredients and will go online to get the info if necessary, or I can add my own. I'm a newbie here and I'm not sure about naming the program. It's for a Mac and has the word "Tracker" in it. LOL It also allows me to log my BG numbers and finally print out different reports for my doctor.

Joyce
Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote