LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #1111
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ldudish
Stats: 246/218/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/1/11
Hi Betsy,

Do you test your bg levels regularly? I check mine at rising, before meals and 2 hours after eating. If your insurance wil not provide strips for enough testing each day you can rotate the times of day. Log your results, log what you eat. Make sure that you are brutally honest about things (I had a problem with this!). I found that while some things seemed to be harmless for others it was horrible for me. On the diabetes boards we call it YMMV, your mileage may vary, because each of is very different.

I was diagnosed 12 years ago, I stayed off meds for many years but am now on Metformin and Victoza. My weight is never where I want it but I am dtermined to fight this disease as best I can. Please don't give up on it, you can win enough of the battles to hold it at bay. Have you read Dr. Bernstein's book? If not then I encourage you to try it. That was what finally brought it all together for me.

Best,

Lynn

Last edited by ldudish; 10-09-2011 at 07:11 AM..
ldudish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #1112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
Had a doc appt yesterday. What a joke. He wouldn't order the VAP test, wouldn't even discuss alternative ways of lowering cholesterol, refused to consider ordering any additional thyroid tests because my TSH is normal, even though he even said he couldn't understand why I have such high cholesterol since I'm doing so good with FBG (average is in the mid 80s now) & weight loss, then he said he thinks I should stop taking the metformin. I told him I work hard to keep my blood glucose low with diet, exercise and metformin but if I went off the met I would have to reduce the amount of carbs I consume. I ended up telling him I would not see him again, I'd ask for a different doctor next time. He gave me a referral to the diabetic clinic and wrote on it that I didn't understand the disease and refused to take meds for CAD. Last time he said the diabetes clinic was for uncontrolled diabetics and I didn't need it. I should have said what a jerk, not what a joke. The only thing that saved my sanity today was this little youtube video - Lipitor Paradox
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:23 AM   #1113
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Over the last 3 months I have made a lot of changes and my BG,athritis,blood pressure
and weight are all a lot better. But which change did what I don't know.

I started using a lot of stevia, mostly the raw leaf form of it not the extract. There
are some studies saying the compleat leaf has blood sugar lowering properties that
may not be experienced when using the store bought extract. I think it has helped
some but don't know how much. By the way " Stevia in the raw" is not raw it is an
extract only having one of the compounds found in Strvia. Oh and Stevia may help
lower your blood pressure some studies say it does and som say it doesn't.

I stopped eating when watching TV,on the computer or reading. Then started doing
Fast5 and Juddd. So I have lost 32lbs as of this morning but please if you find this
"lost weight" do not return it!

I have started eating a lot more fiber and low GL carbs and am no longer doing low carb.

I changed from taking my Byetta twice a day to once a day.

I haven't been exercising nearly as much as I was which makes the results I have had
realy outstanding.

Well my morning BG is now about 20 points lower, my blood pressure is about 15 points
lower and my insulin resistance seems to be a great deal lower. A big meal that would
have sent my Bg up to 200-220 2 hours after eating now peaks me out in the 115-130
range.

DR. Johnson does warn that his JUDDD may not be suitable for a diabetic but it seems to
be working for me pretty darn well.

I may stop using the Stevia for a while to see what part if any it's been playing with my
inproved BG numbers.

Well today is an UD so Golden Corral here I come! I realy love this WOE!
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #1114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MisticalMisty
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: January 13
My fasting blood sugar this morning was 157. That's only the second time in 4 years it's been under 200. The first was just a few short months ago and it was 194. I'm so excited to see what the meter will read in the morning.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #1115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Misty - that is great. Mine stills hovers between 180-220
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #1116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MisticalMisty
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: January 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
Misty - that is great. Mine stills hovers between 180-220
Well, it turned out to be very random. I've been under 225, but not under 190 since. I'm up to 50 units of lantus at night and 20 in the am. At least my day numbers are where they need to be so I don't have to take my novolin all day.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #1117
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Hey all! I'm new here, just joined LCF.

I was diagnosed in Sept. 2011, with a fasting # around 300 and an A1C of 12.2%. In 3 months I've managed to get my fasting #'s down to the 80's/90's most days and my new A1C is 5.9%!

I'm on 1000 mg. of Metformin and 5 mg. lisinopril. I'm really lucky that I don't have any side effects from the Met; I've heard some of the horror stories. I don't know that I ever want to go off the Met, though maybe I can get to the point of reducing the dose to 500 mg. It's really helped with my weight loss.

I thought I would absolutely die without my carbs, but so far I do not miss them (except fruit), and I really like being able to eat so much fat. And my triglycerides, which were at 267, are now at 119! So much for the "fat is bad" message...
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #1118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Merski
Stats: 164/152/135
WOE: Dr. Bernstein
Start Date: 07/2009
Vilya, glad to hear you have taken control and are doing so well!!

Welcome to the boards!
Merski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #1119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: 280/210.2/161
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Dukan 1/4/2014 Elim diet 4/27/14 Challenge 6/1/14
Hi everyone, I haven't posted on this thread in a looong time. It is nice to see people with encouraging results. Vilya, welcome to LCFs! Congrats on seeing your numbers improve--you are doing great.

I have been doubling down on my efforts to get my health back in control the last few months after having a few health scares. I had let my sugar levels get way too high over the last two years and I am paying a price for that. I'm glad for how resilient our bodies are when we start taking care of them again though, right?

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone! Cheers, Sue
RW City Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #1120
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Karma4u
Stats: 155.0/144.5/126.0
WOE: Dr. Berenstein
Start Date: January 2012
On track

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to let everyone know, I have Type 2
and have had great success with Dr. Berenstein's
book.
I got the book at the library and have been following
it faithfully, for 4 weeks.
The recipes are crazy good!
I tried a few new vegetables, Celeriac Root and
Fennel....
My numbers instantly dropped from 120/130 to under
100 fasting and usually under 110 after meals.
I check my Blood Sugars constantly! I feel like
I'm addicted to poking my finger instead of sugar (:
Anyways, I ordered his book on Amazon and his Cook
Book, too....
My Brain fog and tiredness have disappeared and each
day I feel better and better.
Also, a lot less numbness in my hands and feet.
Lastly, I write in my journal to let me remember where
I was and where I'm going, because it is definitely a
journey.
My advice to anyone is to immediately give up the
Soda. I work at a school and I just had an 11 year old
girl tell me she was diagnosed with Type 2! It really is
an epidemic and I don't see it going away any time soon
unless we take charge of our own health.
Thanks for reading!
Karma4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #1121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: Twoterville/1st. Goal - ONEderland!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Everyday!
I hope I can find it in my Library, I have sort of been doing Bernstein but not faithfully. Sounds like you have had wonderful success, good for you and your health!

MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #1122
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Smile5
Stats: 170/140/125
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Start Date: July 2011
A1C = 4.9 !!
Smile5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #1123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile5 View Post
A1C = 4.9 !!
Sooooo happy for you!!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #1124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Merski
Stats: 164/152/135
WOE: Dr. Bernstein
Start Date: 07/2009
MaggieDen: I love your avatar!

I love your avatar!
Merski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #1125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merski View Post
I love your avatar!
Gotta those crazy eggs!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #1126
Major LCF Poster!

Just had another A1C check, and I've gone from 5.9% to 5.5%.

Cholesterol is higher overall, but trigs and HDL are still good, so I'm not worried. I'm going to get back to taking my fish oil every day and stop missing so much. Hopefully that will help my trigs and HDL even more.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #1127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
Well, it turned out to be very random. I've been under 225, but not under 190 since. I'm up to 50 units of lantus at night and 20 in the am. At least my day numbers are where they need to be so I don't have to take my novolin all day.
My doctor has me increasing a little insulin each week till my fasting is 120 - I am right about there and it is 40 units at night.

Of course, if I cheat off lc, it is higher.
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #1128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Turning Over A New Leaf

I was diagnosed as a T2 in October 2009, put on insulin and metformin along with bp meds and cholesterol meds. I was good as first, but as time went on I got bad and stopped checking my numbers and eating bad. Had blood work done last week and saw doc today. All my numbers were way up.....

fasting - 178
random - 326
a1c - 7.8

Decided that I need to start eating lower carb, but will have to be careful. My insulin has been upped to 34 units before breakfast and supper - when I stop going lower with my levels and they aren't where they need to be after 3 or 4 days, I increase by 2 units - Novolog 70/30 mix, still metformin 1000 2x daily. lisinopril 40mg 1x daily. Crestor 10mg 1x daily. fenofibrate 145mg 1x daily.

i also have asthma and back problems from when i had 2 spinals for c-sections, so i am going to try walking 15 to 20 minutes a shot around dusk because that seems to be when it is coolest. may try it also after breakfast mornings that i don't have to run errands and such with my mom.

also have allergies and am taking generic benadryl at night to stop the stuffy and runny nose. can that have any effect on blood sugar levels?

i'm wondering if using the journal section in here to do a daily or at least weekly report will help me to stay on track this time.

I welcome any and all suggestions and pointers to get to where I need to be.

Thanks everyone.
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #1129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Insulin

I used to be on insulin . . . never as much as you take but my A1C had been 7.6. I have lost a lot of weight and now run in the mid 5.5 ish range. I did it by eating low carb. I don't journal but it does help some people.

I think aside from my LC eating was just getting the mindset that I eat this way and need to. I have tried to eliminate the concept of dessert. I do occasionally indulge but in the real thing. I don't use the 'fake' desserts. I try to drink as much water as I possibly can. I have found it much like when I quit smoking many years ago. I had to keep trying until I became a non-smoker. Now I am definitely a LCer! I am more consistent as the days roll on. I am 62 yrs old and retired because of an on the job accident.

I wish you the best in your efforts . . . it's possible to get off insulin unless your pancreas is totally shut down.

~ dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmobxnc View Post
I was diagnosed as a T2 in October 2009, put on insulin and metformin along with bp meds and cholesterol meds. I was good as first, but as time went on I got bad and stopped checking my numbers and eating bad. Had blood work done last week and saw doc today. All my numbers were way up.....

fasting - 178
random - 326
a1c - 7.8

Decided that I need to start eating lower carb, but will have to be careful. My insulin has been upped to 34 units before breakfast and supper - when I stop going lower with my levels and they aren't where they need to be after 3 or 4 days, I increase by 2 units - Novolog 70/30 mix, still metformin 1000 2x daily. lisinopril 40mg 1x daily. Crestor 10mg 1x daily. fenofibrate 145mg 1x daily.

i also have asthma and back problems from when i had 2 spinals for c-sections, so i am going to try walking 15 to 20 minutes a shot around dusk because that seems to be when it is coolest. may try it also after breakfast mornings that i don't have to run errands and such with my mom.

also have allergies and am taking generic benadryl at night to stop the stuffy and runny nose. can that have any effect on blood sugar levels?

i'm wondering if using the journal section in here to do a daily or at least weekly report will help me to stay on track this time.

I welcome any and all suggestions and pointers to get to where I need to be.

Thanks everyone.

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #1130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I went to the doctor today for my physical. I have been tracking my BG numbers like Dr. Bernstein says to do in his book. My numbers run anywhere from 92-120. My fasting BG is always over 100.

I have been LCing for six weeks, so I was expecting my A1C to be high. It was 5.4 so I was pretty happy about that. My trig were down to 182. They had previously been around 350.

I asked her if I could start taking one of the long acting insulins to try and get my morning BG numbers down. She started me out on 10 units of Lantus per night. I was a little scared to give myself a shot but it didn't even hurt at all. So glad!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #1131
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop_mealine View Post
I think aside from my LC eating was just getting the mindset that I eat this way and need to. I have tried to eliminate the concept of dessert. I do occasionally indulge but in the real thing. I don't use the 'fake' desserts. I try to drink as much water as I possibly can. I have found it much like when I quit smoking many years ago. I had to keep trying until I became a non-smoker. Now I am definitely a LCer! I am more consistent as the days roll on. I am 62 yrs old and retired because of an on the job accident.

I wish you the best in your efforts . . . it's possible to get off insulin unless your pancreas is totally shut down.

~ dew
I think my getting in the mindset is what needs to be done. When I was first diagnosed, my daughter had moved in with her s/o at the time, so just my mom and I and we did the lower-carb pretty good. When she moved back in, she brought all her high carb, high sugar foods and drinks and mindset with her. It messed us all up for a couple of years. She's now back out of the house and my mom and I are slowly getting back into the low-carb wol.

I drank almost 2 liters of water yesterday and am going to try to do the same every day. Have my notebook out and my testing supplies right beside it. Got all my low-carb goodies at the store and am ready to set out on this road for better health and a better life.

Wish me luck, everyone. I need it.
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #1132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
Hi Cindi. That's happening to me now. When I was diagnosed in 2010, my husband and two adult sons, who both still live at home, all went through the process of discovering low-carb wol with me. They were all very supportive and we stopped having any high-carb foods in the house. It was good for all of us and we all lost varying amounts of weight. Then my youngest daughter moved back home a year ago. She has always been a high-carb eater, it's mostly all she eats. I even watch 3 grandchildren (from a different daughter) everyday before & after school and it's been easier to control them than it is the daughter that moved home. (I suspect they don't get enough protein at home because they're perfectly happy having cheese sticks and hard-boiled eggs for snacks after school!) It's been really tough on everyone having her food in the house again, and I've discovered what it's like to be sorely tempted. I haven't given in, though. In fact, I think it's had the opposite effect on me, but I've seen everyone else slowly suffer carb creep. The only good thing is she is becoming more aware of carbs herself but since she doesn't have any weight problems, and she wasn't here for the whole "diagnosis & discovery" saga, she still doesn't "get it" the way the rest of us to. I have to remind them all that they can't continue to eat a high fat diet if they're going to add carbs back in.
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #1133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dsalazar4
Stats: 246.8
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 6/25/2012
I just started low carb today. I start and then I start feeling yucky because my blood sugars drop and I really dislike how this feels. I love fruit so my first day and I am eating grapes. I feel so much better without all the bread etc. I am going to start water aerobics tomorrow. I was doing well and got bronchitis and was out of work for 2 weeks and went back to that mindless eating as I call it. So far no problems with the diabetes and I would really like to keep it that way.
dsalazar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #1134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Wonderings

Why can't any one ,some one please tell me if this is correct :bg numbers from 70 to 100 is not diabetic and if numbers from 100 to 120 is pre -diabetic,and from 120 up is full blown diabeties ?Every body say numbers differant,so what is correct ??
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #1135
Major LCF Poster!

Non-diabetics typically stay around 85 all the time. I try to stay around there as much as possible.

If you go the ADA's website and click on the "Diabetes Basics" tab, then "Pre-diabetes," it will tell you what their current diagnostic numbers are, for each test they use. Personally, I believe their numbers are too high (should be diagnosed at a lower number).

I go by what the Blood Sugar 101 website says, as I agree with her numbers.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #1136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Thanks Vilya, I will go there.My #s never go below 100 any more.
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #1137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
subscribing
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #1138
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
One time I did an experiment. During a family barbecue, I waited until everyone had totally pigged out on barbecue, potato salad, beer, brownies, etc., and then asked if anyone wanted their blood sugar checked. To my surprise, a few were curious and wanted to do it. So I checked them and NONE of them were over 110! Ever since then, my opinion is that is normal is never over 110 no matter what you eat. So that is my target, never over 110, and most of the time I can do it if I stay very low carb and take my supplements.

I think the 140 that BS101 recommends is too high. Just my opinion based on how my body reacts when I get even over 125. My inner ears hurt and I don't feel good. Keep it under 110 and you will feel way better.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #1139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: berighteous
Stats: 320's/258/200
Start Date: January 2012
Thought I'd post this here for posterity...

Michael Packard
Dx Type 2 Diabetic June 3, 2013
BG in ER 415 A1c at Dx 13.6 Estimated Average Glucose 344

Recent Labs
6/2013 Cholesterol 253 LDL 191 HDL 41 Triglycerides 95 Cholesterol/HDL ratio 6.2 (H)
6/2013 Microalbumin Urine 1.8 mg/dl Meds: Metformin 1700

Diet: LCHF <20 carbs per day Dabbling with coconut oil
Currently 260 pounds, 5'8", BMI 40 Blood Pressure 110/70 Pulse 102 last Dr visit

As of week 5:
Today's 7/2/2013 Average BG reading 122!
7 day average from my spreadsheet tracking morning, before/after meals +bedtime/evening workout: 129
14 day avg meter 146

Weight Loss since DX 6 lbs
Weight loss since highest weight 60+lbs.
Exercise: 40 min daily Nordic Track Ski Machine + 2 miles walking
Recent Books reading: Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and Diabetes Diet
Old 08-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #1140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciejean View Post
Why can't any one ,some one please tell me if this is correct :bg numbers from 70 to 100 is not diabetic and if numbers from 100 to 120 is pre -diabetic,and from 120 up is full blown diabeties ?Every body say numbers differant,so what is correct ??
My hubby is Type 2 the last 6.5 years. We learned that 126 and above is diabetic. 100-125 is pre-diabetic.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote