Old 06-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #1081
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MisticalMisty
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: January 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateee View Post
Thanks MisticalMisty

I want to make sure I do this right.....
You are welcome. I've been diabetic right at 5 years. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #1082
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop_mealine View Post
I was insulin before my massive weight loss. I got off of it twice. I am now maintaining and I want to stay off the stuff. I test only occasionally. It's the testing that sucks! Giving myself a shot of insulin was easy and painless. Oh yeah!
dewdrop_mealine

WTG on your maintaining

I also hate testing, and I hate the needles, and I hate poking myself, especially when those test strips fail, and I need more blood

Years ago, my cat became diabetic, and I had to give him two insulin shots a day....He would eat, and then go jump on the bed and wait for his insulin shot.....he amazed me....the shots didn't seem to bother him a bit.....But, I'm a big chicken when it comes to those needles
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #1083
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
It's that time again! a1c time!
My hunger has been crazy lately. I know my B/S levels have been on a roller coaster. Will be interesting to see what my results say this time.

The last two a1c's have been 5.8 & 5.6.
Those are my lowest so far.

Will report back next week.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #1084
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkee View Post
It's that time again! a1c time!
My hunger has been crazy lately. I know my B/S levels have been on a roller coaster. Will be interesting to see what my results say this time.

The last two a1c's have been 5.8 & 5.6.
Those are my lowest so far.

Will report back next week.
Great job Monkee!

I'm getting myself back under control now after two months of stress and emotional eating. I was happy to see my blood sugar was 105 upon last check. Yay.

Here are two things that help lower my blood sugar in addition to low-carbing: fenugreek extract and HGH homeopathic (Trimedica Live Young). I also take NSI Glucopower vitamins that help with circulation and have eradicated ALL of my neuropathic pain.

Another helpful thing if you hate testing: Get yourself an AccuChek Softclix lancet. You can buy just the lancet if you don't want that brand of monitor. I have tried almost all types of lancets, and this one is the only one that is truly painless. Sometimes I am surprised to see the little drop of blood because it feels like nothing happened. I have it set on 1.5 but it can go lower to 1.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #1085
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Mermaid.

Its good to hear that you are getting back on track. I know you can do it! A 105 reading is already a great start. Are you still doing it naturally without prescription meds?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #1086
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Quote:
Thanks, Mermaid.

Its good to hear that you are getting back on track. I know you can do it! A 105 reading is already a great start. Are you still doing it naturally without prescription meds?
Thanks, Monkee. I'm still not on any meds. I do hope to keep my BS under 100 soon, but it's alright if it takes a while. At least I am not binging, which I had a problem with recently. Feels good to be more in control again.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #1087
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: VGRAY77
Stats: 219/184.2/145
WOE: ZC/VLC/IF
Start Date: restart 4/7/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateee View Post
Today is my 1st day on Atkins...I'm diabetic with high blood pressure, and I'm taking meds for both.....Metformin 500mg, DiovanHCT 320/25.....the doc said I maybe able to stop both meds if I lose 20#s.....

My question is when we start the Atkins diet, how often do you all test?

How will I know when its time to talk with the doctor to adjust the RX's?
What do I need to look for?

Today I tested 101 on waking before eating
One Hour after a meal 92
Two Hours after a meal 96
I always test like this... I'm taking Metaformin 1X@Day
I'm just worried about losing the weight and when its time to talk to the doc about adjusting meds.....I don't want to get sick.....Thanks for your imput.......
I would love to have your blood sugar reading. My understanding of Metformin is that it will not make you go low.
At the first of the year with a A1c of 9.2 I was on 50 units of Insulin (Novalog Mix), 1000mg Metformin and 10mg Glyburide twice a day. I returned to Low Carb eating and within a week I had to stop all the Insulin. After 5 weeks I was able to cut my other meds in half. At that time I was testing before each meal and 2 hours after. I always tested if I felt LOW or before driving. That first week I was testing 10 or 12 times a day. My doctor is very easy to work with, I just told him that I was cutting out bread and starch and decreased the insulin until I quit going low. On the second or third day I did have to take some glucose tablets to bring my sugar up. By the end of January I had cut the pills in half. At the end of May my A1c was 5.8. Now I test 3 or 4 times a day. Mainly when I try to adjust my meals.
VGRAY77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #1088
Blabbermouth!!!

A1c is in....I am at 5.7
Not too bad but its slightly higher from last time.

I think I might have remembered my numbers incorrectly when I posted last. I mentioned that my last two were 5.8 & 5.6 but upon reviewing my docs the numbers were actually 5.4 & 5.6......This weeks new A1c is 5.7.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #1089
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SparrowRose
Stats: 312/260/211/140
WOE: Dr. Bernstein
Start Date: June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Another helpful thing if you hate testing: Get yourself an AccuChek Softclix lancet. You can buy just the lancet if you don't want that brand of monitor. I have tried almost all types of lancets, and this one is the only one that is truly painless. Sometimes I am surprised to see the little drop of blood because it feels like nothing happened. I have it set on 1.5 but it can go lower to 1.
I have one of those and I keep mine set on 0.5 because I am so sensitive. It still hurts like heck for me but there is no way I could use any other lancet. Someone who's not as sensitive as I am probably wouldn't even notice it at the low setting I use.
SparrowRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #1090
Junior LCF Member

Hello all, I'm new here!

Here is my baseline report.

date ............ test result ......... resulting action

December 2010 - A1c 10.8 - started metformin
February 2011 - A1c 10.8 - increased metformin to 2000 mg
April 2011 - A1c 10.6 - started lantus insulin
June 2011 - A1c 8.8 - started humalog insuln

My long-term goal is to get my A1c under 6%. I'm getting accustomed to the insulin and will have another A1c in August or September.

(We've been doing them every 2 months instead of 3 because we were having such a hard time pulling me into control and the A1c is so heavily weighted toward more recent events than events three months ago that my doctor said we might as well go with every 2 months until we started to see significant improvement.)

I started low carb in June (started low carb at beginning of June, started humalog insulin at the end of June) and it DEFINITELY seems to be helping (especially since I'm so carb sensitive that 1g of carbs raises my blood sugar by 6 points. I'm getting more extensive testing done, but right now my body is reacting in a way that indicates and extreme lack of native insulin and an extreme level of insulin resistance at the same time.) I expect to be able to come back and add a REAL progress report to this baseline in a couple of months.

Thank you.

Last edited by SparrowRose; 07-07-2011 at 09:11 PM..
Old 07-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #1091
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome SparrowRose! You're already making great process.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #1092
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
My hubby's doctor usually also runs a fructosamine test. It's more like the last 15 days test vs. the A1c's past 3 month's test.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #1093
Blabbermouth!!!

I've never had one done!! Will check with my doc. Thanks for sharing, Terry.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #1094
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
You're welcome. I didn't know exactly what it was so I looked it up. A much closer in timeframe test.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #1095
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Welcome SparrowRose! You're already making great process.
Thanks, Monkee!

I have something great to report today!

My blood pressure has been in the high end of the pre-hypertension range for years and years. I can't remember a normal blood pressure reading in decades.

Well, yesterday my blood pressure was 119/79!!!!

Okay, just *barely* in the normal range. But ....

Blood pressure in the normal range!! Woo!!

Sparrow
Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #1096
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowRose View Post
I have one of those and I keep mine set on 0.5 because I am so sensitive. It still hurts like heck for me but there is no way I could use any other lancet. Someone who's not as sensitive as I am probably wouldn't even notice it at the low setting I use.
Do you test on your fingers? I test on my forearms. There doesn't seem to be a difference in the numbers and it hurts loads less!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #1097
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
Do you test on your fingers? I test on my forearms. There doesn't seem to be a difference in the numbers and it hurts loads less!
I test on my fingers. I had asked my doctor about testing on my arms and she said not to do it but didn't say why. . .

Does it leave marks? I'm already covered to the knee all the time to hide the injection bruises on my thighs. Don't know if I want to add long sleeves in this weather.

(People get weird when you walk around all covered in bruises and I don't want my husband to have to deal with people being nasty toward him because they don't understand diabetic bruises and assume he's hurting me. Which he isn't!)

Sparrow
Old 07-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #1098
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I test on my fingers. I had asked my doctor about testing on my arms and she said not to do it but didn't say why. . .

Does it leave marks? I'm already covered to the knee all the time to hide the injection bruises on my thighs. Don't know if I want to add long sleeves in this weather.

(People get weird when you walk around all covered in bruises and I don't want my husband to have to deal with people being nasty toward him because they don't understand diabetic bruises and assume he's hurting me. Which he isn't!)

Sparrow
I'll find my camera tomorrow when there is light and take a few pictures. I have little pin marks on my arms, but only really noticeable to me.

I also shoot up my belly. I alternate sides and either the top belly or the bottom * I have a big belly* I don't normally get bruises unless I hit a vein on accident. I stay well away from my belly button. I take 5 shots a day...it succckkkssss.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #1099
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
I also shoot up my belly. I alternate sides and either the top belly or the bottom * I have a big belly* I don't normally get bruises unless I hit a vein on accident. I stay well away from my belly button. I take 5 shots a day...it succckkkssss.
I inject Lantus in my belly and Humalog in my thighs. I wanted to keep them well separate so they would be easy to remember (since you're not supposed to put them too close together if you do them at the same time, which I sometimes do) and since Lantus is usually at home and I wear dresses, thighs won Humalog.

I take a minimum of 5 shots a day. Extra if I'm feeling the symptoms of a high and have to do a correction bolus. Even if I weren't worried about complications, I can't leave it high because my feet hurt so much I can't walk when I'm high. And since exercise (or similar activity, like shopping) makes me high and I don't have self-produced insulin to bring me back down, any day I'm active it's almost guaranteed to be six shots.

Medicaid only covers enough needles for four shots a day, though, so I have to buy extra needles or on those times when there just isn't any more money (my husband is very disabled and we live far below the poverty threshhold) I re-use needles, even though they say you aren't supposed to. I keep them clean and do a prime to make sure they're still clear and keep them separate so I don't use a Lantus needle for humalog or vice versa. I also have a hard time with test strips because medicaid only gives me three per day. So I have to buy more when there's money available (I wouldn't be able to do it at all if I weren't in school. I buy diabetes supplies with student loans) and I have to be as sparing as possible with the strips.

Sparrow

Last edited by SparrowRose; 07-16-2011 at 05:22 PM..
Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #1100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VeeJay
Stats: 150/143/125
WOE: VeryLowCarb - for diabetes control
Start Date: May 2010
BG numbers returning to normal levels.

I haven't posted much on LCF forum lately, but wanted to share a bit of success I've had with my diabetes. Especially here lately.

I was diagnosed in May 2010, and promptly went very-low carb and was rewarded with pretty good numbers and an A1C of 5.5 three months later, and 5.3 just a few months ago. So all in all, I've been doing very well.

However, my numbers, and weight, have been creeping upward. Nothing alarming, but I have noted the trend and was wanting to halt that trend.

I've gained 15 pounds. My fasting BG runs between 105-112, and 2hrpp 110-115 and not going down much throughout the day.

So, with weight loss in mind, I decided to do the Atkin's Induction phase diet for two weeks. (I do well with a diet plan - for about three weeks - until it's not "new" anymore.) After one week I noticed that my BG numbers were lower. In fact, I've been seeing meter readings in the 70s and 80s. Wow. (70s is just fine, by the way, for someone like me who isn't on meds or insulin.) Fasting seems to be now in the 80s. I'm just in the second week of the diet, but very incouraging. However, the scales are only very slowly going down. May have to stay on this plan for more than the two weeks, but having lower BG numbers is a reward in itself.

The induction diet calls for 12-15 net grams of carbs, per day, from primarily low-carb vegetables. I had begun at diagnosis with a similar very-low carb diet and gotten good results, but over the last few months have been eating too many almond-meal/flaxseed muffins and other goodies, and not filling up on vegetables but relying on perhaps too much protein. I've also been eating too much quantity - stuffing myself after supper, which doesn't help with my level of insulin production.

I had begun to think that I would need to start on Metformin since my fasting numbers wouldn't go down below 100, but now, if I stick to this carb level (and quantity level), I feel I can do this thing without it. (My reluctance to go on met is because I already have IBS - can't imagine what my life would be like with Met's famous symptoms.)

Disclaimer: I'm just sharing my success here. I know everyone's diabetes journey is different and what is working for me may not work for others. VLC/HF has brought my BG numbers down to normal. I'm pleased as punch

Last edited by VeeJay; 07-21-2011 at 07:52 AM..
VeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:43 AM   #1101
Senior LCF Member

So, this was my second full week on Induction and while I didn't lose any weight, I have been able to dramatically cut back on my insulin intake and have seen a drastic drop in my numbers during the day.

Before Atkins, my fbs were running in the 400s and my day numbers were running in the 300s and this is with 5 shots a day.

Now, my day numbers are running in the mid to low 100s. However, I can't get my damn fasting numbers under 200.

I know it's the dawn phenom. I just need to find some reputable resources so that I can see for myself.

It's frustrating, but I can't help but celebrate the small victory of lower bs during the day!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #1102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
Quote:
Blood glucose from forearms or alternate sites lag behind finger sticks by about 15 minutes. So you'll always be 15 minutes behind the latest changes in your glucose levels. That's why it's often discouraged to be testing on alternate sites.
MauraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #1103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCat2
Stats: 204/196.5/150
WOE: LowCarb
Start Date: restart July '12
Hi folks~!
I'm new here too....diagnosed with an A1c of 7.4. Put on metaforim...told to eat lowcarb.

So here I am...and I've having a terrible time sticking my fingers. I've resisted and resisted. some days I haven't tested because of the apprehension. How can I get past this?
CrazyCat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #1104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
Wash your hands in warm water first to get the blood flowing and stick on the outer sides of your finger pads because there are less nerve endings there.
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #1105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCat2
Stats: 204/196.5/150
WOE: LowCarb
Start Date: restart July '12
Thank you JuneCC~I've not tried that yet..I always seem to poke on top of the fingertip.

I'll try that.

I'm going to start a post listing my meals. Maybe I can some feedback.
CrazyCat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #1106
Blabbermouth!!!

A quick hello & welcome to all the newbies!

Re: Testing
I test on the side of my finger as well. I make sure to rub it before I stick.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #1107
Senior LCF Member

I posted this in another thread but thought I'd mention it here, too. Good news & bad news for my diabetes progress report...

The bad news, my lipid results:

Dec 2010
Total: 280
Tri: 178
HDL: 40
VLDL: 31
LDL: 209
%HDL: 14
Chol:HDL Ratio: 7

Aug 2011 (+/- change)
Total: 338 (+58)
Tri: 138 (-39)
HDL: 50 (+10)
VLDL: 35 (+4)
LDL: 253 (+44)
%HDL: 15 (+1)
Chol:HDL Ratio: 7 (no change)

What to do, what to do...but definitely NOT statins!

The good news: my new A1C is 5.5!!!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #1108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Well you could try niacin but it is not without it's own problems. The no flush forms
of niacin don't work for lowering your chlosterol so it has to be niacin not nicomide.
But it can cause unconfortable flushing and in large doses it will raise your blood sugar
some. You might discus it with your Dr. You might also look at taking some flax oil.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #1109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeattleRadChick
Stats: 262/243/150
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: October 2011
struggling

Hi all,

I am struggling...BADLY!! I was diagnosed with type II diabetes on 6/4/10 and was doing amazingly well. A1c went from 9.7 to 6.8 and I was working out...losing weight...feeling happy, etc. Then all of a sudden, the bottom fell out and my A1c is back up to 7.6, I stopped going to the gym and gained back all of the weight I had lost. My doctor said I might have burned myself out. He reassured me that it was an ebb and flow thing and that i would find my way.

I just feel like crap. I ache all over and my self-esteem in down the tubes. The support I thought I had, really isn't all that supportive. I kinda feel like I am stuck in a vicious cycle and I am pissed...but not enough to do anything about it.

I just need to decide to do it, because I do not want the complications that I am heading for if I don't get this under control. It has my depression in overdrive and I don't want to increase those meds.

thanks for listening
Betsy

SeattleRadChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #1110
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
The no flush forms of niacin don't work for lowering your chlosterol so it has to be niacin not nicomide.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I have enough problems with those mysterious hot flashes I've been getting, I don't need to add flushing, too! lol I'll look into the flax oil. I kept trying to make stuff with ground flax seed but I just don't like the taste of it.