Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #1051
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ontopofmygame
It's sept 6, is anyone on these boards? Did you guys move?
ontopofmygame is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #1052
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
I am still here.
Blood sugar is steady for now. In the 90's usually, even after meals. I did have a 110 reading last week and a 140 reading, but I had some higher carb food that day. Not bad considering how it was prior.

How is everyone else doing?
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #1053
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KimberH
Fasting is between 124-160 depending on the day. Most are 150 or less.

Gotta give Metformin time to work - Diagnosed on 7/27
KimberH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #1054
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VeeJay
Stats: 150/143/125
WOE: VeryLowCarb - for diabetes control
Start Date: May 2010
Had an A1c test in August - was 5.5%, so am very happy about that.

I tested the same blood drawn at the Dr. office with my own meters (have two). One read 105, and the other 106. So they are pretty close. However, the lab result was 94. So there is a difference of over 10 points.

I have come to terms with the meter in that it isn't all that accurate, but the trend is downward, so that's what's important. I no longer get freaked out with a high number (for no apparent reason) - may just be a defective strip. I just test again, and usually the number is much lower.

I have found that I need to eat very low carb, and am trying to stay in ketosis. I usually test between mild and moderate on the scale for the ketone testing strips. So am not deeply into ketosis, but I think it's helping.

Since I'm not taking meds, I may not be able to get my numbers to be consistently below 100, but they are usually below 110. I'm testing fewer times now since I know what my BG will be if I'm sticking to my way of eating.

Amy - what a story. Glad it's getting sorted out for you now.

KimberH - I understand that it can take up to 6 weeks for the Metformin to be effective. Have you had any side effects? Hope it works for you.

Last edited by VeeJay; 09-12-2010 at 05:32 PM..
VeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #1055
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: amyAZ
Stats: 329/202/200
WOE: Zero Carb (was Primal, was Atkins)
Start Date: January 2006
Woo Hoo! Good News!

I got my A1C back - 5.7. Why so happy? It is unchanged from several months ago when I was still taking Metformin XR. I believed I wasn't getting any benefit from that medication (but getting plenty of side effects), and this result pretty much proves it.

I'd like to get it a tad bit lower still -- but even when I was on 3 medications at once, I never got below 5.4.
amyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #1056
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jenchuan
Stats: 222.5/215/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 9/16/10
My sugars were running in the 300's but I got them down into the low 100's recently by going low carb. I dropped the sugar and went low carb this past Thursday. Sugars dropped almost immediately.

I was diagnosed as "insulin resistant" several years ago. Was put on Metformin but it didn't really do much to help. Possibly because I was also put on prednisone AND birth control at the same time because of two different health issues. YUCK!! But since then, I'm not taking any meds due to no health insurance. So, I had to do something to get my health back.

The longer you stay on a low carb diet, will your sugars drop even more and become more stable?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #1057
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VeeJay
Stats: 150/143/125
WOE: VeryLowCarb - for diabetes control
Start Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchuan View Post
The longer you stay on a low carb diet, will your sugars drop even more and become more stable?
Low 100s is very good and certainly well out of the range where complications would be expected. Anything below 120 is very good.

If you are testing often, you will be able to "eat to your monitor" - in other words, you'll discover what foods spike your blood sugar and then avoid them in the future. It takes some time. Some foods that one diabetic can eat without any spikes, will be a problem food for others. For instance, I cannot eat Atkins bars. They will spike my 2 hr pp too high. So I finally had to give them up (darn!) - and I gave them the benefit of the doubt for quite a while .

It appears that you are having great initial success. I hope it continues for you. There are many diabetics who don't take meds and can keep their numbers low, while maybe not under 100. Some can, though, by eating very low carbs. Everyone's an individual.
VeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #1058
Junior LCF Member

Well. it's been 3 weeks since I've gone VLC. And today, I reached a new goal. My blood sugar hasn't been above 120 all day!!! It's actually been hovering around 100 all day long!!! I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been in mild ketosis for the past week or so. And my weight is finally starting to creep down. Lost 3.5 pounds this past week. Didn't lose any weight at all initially. I think it's because my body was still trying to wean itself from the carbs and was fighting me and also adjusting to new lower blood sugars. Didn't help that the TOM also wreaked havoc on me (and it wasn't nearly as bad as usual!) Sorry for the TMI. But just had to share that with any other ladies with PCOS.

Anyone else starting this and getting frustrated, hang in there! Just don't give up!! Keep working on it!! You're body will eventually cooperate with you!!

I also have to add that I feel FANTASTIC!!! No more depression and mood swings, no more fatigue, no more cravings!! I can concentrate so much easier. I don't feel lazy anymore either, like I want to hang out on the couch and watch TV all day. I want to get out and do stuff!! Get something accomplished!! My fibromyalgia isn't bothering me. I'm sleeping better. My allergies and asthma have gotten better.

The only problem I've noticed is when my body adjusted to a new lower blood sugar. I would get a headache and I'd have have trouble with my body temp. One minute I'd be hot, the next, cold! Just drinking tons of water and chicken broth (actually, low carb egg drop soup).

And another goal happened today as well. I've been at 222.5 for the past 2 years. My weight wouldn't budge!! But today, I stepped on the scale, and I'm down to 219!! FINALLY!!! The 220 barrier has been broken!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!

So hang in there people. I never thought I'd be able to accomplish this. I know you guys are probably tired of hearing "if I can do it, then you can". Well, it's true!!

Last edited by jenchuan; 10-07-2010 at 06:28 PM..
jenchuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #1059
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ThoseBackPages
WOE: Low to No Man Made Carb Intake, Portion Control
Start Date: Janurary 26th, 2010
wtg Jen!
ThoseBackPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #1060
Blabbermouth!!!

Way to go on your progress everyone.

I've been staying at around 90 these days even when eating. This morning I did spike though. I woke up at 134. I've been a bit stressed lately and I am sure that is playing a role. My B/S always responds to my emotions/stress.

Inhale/Exhale...Happy thoughts. Hee Hee.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #1061
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Merski
Stats: 164/152/135
WOE: Dr. Bernstein
Start Date: 07/2009
Again.... :)

well my morning numbers were creeping up above 100 so after a week I knew would be hectic I have started exercising and being more careful with my diet. I have also upped my metformin from 500mg twice a day to 1000 mg twice a day. my poor intestines but the numbers are decreasing.

I told myself if could be consistent with my exercise, five days at least 1/2 hr a day, and much more careful with my food.... every ten meals can have something off the plan, like a serving or mac and cheese, then I can buy a new outfit on vacation the second week of November.

Cross your fingers for me!
Merski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #1062
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much for the support everyone!!!

Been going VLC with my WOE. Seems to have helped. I have also recently started taking the metformin at night to see if would have any effect on my morning numbers. Think it did. Sugar hasn't dropped below 95 yet, but it's been steady and in the 99-120 range for the past 2 weeks. Had a spike or two, but it quickly went back down. Might just be bad readings. Don't know. But I'm still working on getting my numbers down into the 80's and 90's. I think my body is still very sensitive to anything I eat. I think my metabolism is in panic mode. LOL! Need to get my liver and pancreas to TALK to each other rather than shouting at each other. LOL!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #1063
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chavalah
On Friday my fasting blood sugar was 328! This morning, Tuesday it was 148!! I dropped it 180 points in 4 days.

I only ate meat and broth until it dropped under 200 (two days). Then I added the Atkins Induction Acceptable Vegetables. When it dropped under 175 I added the olives/cream/lemon juice. After two days of just meat, boy those veggies tasted good! I am planning to stay on the Induction at least two weeks.
Chavalah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #1064
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
My fasting numbers have been so high lately - - I guess I really need to be strict with myself. Stay away from carbs, eyc
Cherylg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #1065
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Several people have mentioned Dr. Bernstein and his diabetic solution book. You might be intersted in his web cast that he has once a month. You can find details at
Diet diabetes diet and Diabetes Solution Dr Richard Bernstein author of diabetes diet and diabetes solution . The next web cast is nov 30 at 8pm EST.
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #1066
Junior LCF Member

Thought I'd give a quick update. My weight loss stalled on me. And my blood sugar also quit dropping. So, I upped my metformin to 1500/day instead of 1000. Also started weight training and doing some cardio on the elliptical.

But the biggest change was eating more protein and cutting calories. I had my bodyfat checked at the gym, and then figured out my lean body mass. I'm eating 1gram protein/lb lean body mass. And I am also cutting my calories down to 1200-1400. Ever since I made those two major changes last week, my weight is dropping again, and my blood sugar has dropped down. In fact, I just checked it and it was 67 (haven't eaten since breakfast, busy!!) My fasting was 97 this morning. It's only been above 100 for about 30 minutes in the past week. LOL!

And I'm also cutting down on my metformin as well. Only been taking 500 the past couple days.

Yep! I'm doing well now!!

Best of luck to everyone!! Keep it up folks!!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #1067
Blabbermouth!!!

Getting my A1C tested tomorrow.
*Exhale*
I hope the holiday carbs didn't mess me up too much.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #1068
Blabbermouth!!!

I never came back and posted the results of my latest A1C. The last time I was tested I was at 5.6 and this time around it was 5.8.

I need to eat a bit more clean.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #1069
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: Twoterville/1st. Goal - ONEderland!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Everyday!
Newly diagnosed on Jan 5th, started Metaformin and will be retested on April 5th, 2011.

A1C 7.9 , yea not good praying with diet, exercise & med's it will get better.

MagieDen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #1070
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome Maggie.
You're already off to a great start by being here. Low carb works great for diabetics.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #1071
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Checking in with other diabetics

I'm on the Bernstein thread. I can't say I follow it strictly. It's very strict. I did have an A1c of 5.1 on my last test. LCing works really well for me. I was once 358# and insulin dependent. Nothing now, totally diet controlled Type 2.
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #1072
Senior LCF Member

Dr Berstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONAH'S GRANNY View Post
Hi everyone - My Endo tells me I am pre-diabetic and had mentioned me seeing a Nutritionist. I decided I would try it on my own. I have been reading Dr. Bernstein's book thru the link provided by some of you posters. I thought Dr. Atkins was tough but Dr. Bernstein has him beat. Does anyone follow his rules of eating exactly by the book? Thanks.

Ann
If you still have your ears on Jonah's Granny, and all others are welcome . . . we have a thread of Bernstein followers over on other. Bernstein. It's some Type 1s and I am a Type 2. We all seem to get good results though it is tough to stay within his very strict limits. His books are awesome with information about diabetes. Did you know the he invented the glucometer before he became an MD he was an engineer with Type 1. Awesome!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #1073
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: Twoterville/1st. Goal - ONEderland!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Everyday!
A1C Results/3 months

Diagnosed Type 2 on January 5th 2010 A1C was 7.9 and after 3 months with medication and diet and exercise it is 6.7. To say the least I am pretty happy with it but will keep working on low carbing and exercising and we will see how I am in a few more months.
MagieDen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #1074
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosebud626
Stats: 258/240/150
WOE: low carbs from diabetic training
Start Date: April 2011
I am new to Low Carb Friends, just signed on for the first time yesterday. I found out I was as my doctor said "very sweet" on April 4th. He sent me to our local diabetes center and I started low carb eating plan. As of todays check in I have lost 20 pounds.
But I was very disappointed with what they thought of my blood sugar testing numbers.
She said I was almost 50% of the time with what they consider good numbers. I have faithfully followed my plan. I started out taking Janumet as my med, but it bothered my stomach. So now I take just Januvia. I have pretty high numbers in the morning before breakfast.
It is just so depressing to work so hard and being really true to my plan and be on medicine and still not have low readings. Of course they have imporved since when I started they were over 200. I was hoping to get it down and off the medicine.
I have always been an emotional eater, and get kind of worried when I feel down.
How can I get myself out of this funk? Any suggestions would be so appreciated.
rosebud626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #1075
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Rosebud - that is me exactly! I am on 2,000 metformin and then glimepirde in morning but my fasting morning numbers are high - anywhere from 180-250!!! I have to go to doc today to see how my blood work is -
I am afraid she'll be putting me on insulin - no crazy about that and also wondering does my health insurance cover that? I do good for a couple of days and then I eat carbs whichI know is no good. I am also in a funk.......

I know I have this dawn phenonomon (sp) - any suggestions?
Cherylg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #1076
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Today is my 1st day on Atkins...I'm diabetic with high blood pressure, and I'm taking meds for both.....Metformin 500mg, DiovanHCT 320/25.....the doc said I maybe able to stop both meds if I lose 20#s.....

My question is when we start the Atkins diet, how often do you all test?

How will I know when its time to talk with the doctor to adjust the RX's?
What do I need to look for?

Today I tested 101 on waking before eating
One Hour after a meal 92
Two Hours after a meal 96
I always test like this... I'm taking Metaformin 1X@Day
I'm just worried about losing the weight and when its time to talk to the doc about adjusting meds.....I don't want to get sick.....Thanks for your imput.......
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #1077
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MisticalMisty
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: January 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
*snip*
I know I have this dawn phenonomon (sp) - any suggestions?
You can do a google search that will take you to some really great articles. Most of them suggest testing around 3 a.m. to get an understanding of what your numbers are doing!

I have the same issue and I just haven't taken the time to wake up and test.

Good luck!
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #1078
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MisticalMisty
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: January 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateee View Post
Today is my 1st day on Atkins...I'm diabetic with high blood pressure, and I'm taking meds for both.....Metformin 500mg, DiovanHCT 320/25.....the doc said I maybe able to stop both meds if I lose 20#s.....

My question is when we start the Atkins diet, how often do you all test?

How will I know when its time to talk with the doctor to adjust the RX's?
What do I need to look for?

Today I tested 101 on waking before eating
One Hour after a meal 92
Two Hours after a meal 96
I always test like this... I'm taking Metaformin 1X@Day
I'm just worried about losing the weight and when its time to talk to the doc about adjusting meds.....I don't want to get sick.....Thanks for your imput.......
I'm on insulin so I test about 8 times a day. However, when I was just on meds..I did a fasting test first thing in the morning and then 2 hours after every meal and then again at bedtime.

When you sugars start going too low, consistently, you will know that it's time to talk to your dr. about adjusting your meds.

Good luck!
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #1079
Senior LCF Member

Off Insulin for the long haul . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
I'm on insulin so I test about 8 times a day. However, when I was just on meds..I did a fasting test first thing in the morning and then 2 hours after every meal and then again at bedtime.

When you sugars start going too low, consistently, you will know that it's time to talk to your dr. about adjusting your meds.

Good luck!
I was insulin before my massive weight loss. I got off of it twice. I am now maintaining and I want to stay off the stuff. I test only occasionally. It's the testing that sucks! Giving myself a shot of insulin was easy and painless. Oh yeah!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #1080
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post

Good luck!
Thanks MisticalMisty

I want to make sure I do this right.....
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote