Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #991
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
One thing I've noted about my blood sugar and weight loss is that if I'm getting lower blood sugar readings my weight loss stalls and when I'm losing, the blood sugar numbers go up.

Pretty crazy. You'd think with the blood sugar going down I'd be losing.

Just my body.

sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #992
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Griffen
Yesterday's progress was haphazard, mostly because I couldn't exercise. I thought I was having retinal detachment symptoms and so instead of getting a workout, I got a fun trip to the ophthalmologist's and a thorough eye examination. Happy news: no retinal detachment, and no diabetes damage or complications - or even evidence that I have diabetes! - visible in my eye, and no pressure problems - i.e., glaucoma. As it turns out, the improvements I'm making to my health may have caused the flashes of light I've been seeing - when your blood pressure changes, it apparently can cause blood vessels in the eye to twitch or spasm, which produces the visual "lightning flash" effect. My eyes are healthy, and the ophthalmologist was amused that I was so nervewracked about the flashes. But it was kind of a stressful day.

Despite that, my high was at waking: 117, and low before dinner: 97. And dinner was huge, but it only pumped my sugars up ten points to 107 - still well within the range I'm shooting for right now. Daily average: 111.

(And this morning my waking sugar was 103, which makes me VERY happy.)

Food and activity yesterday:

Breakfast was my usual three-egg parmesan/cinnamon omelette and three strips of bacon, along with a tablespoon of coconut oil and all my morning vites and supplements.

I had no lunch; I was at the eye doctor's and not hungry!

Dinner was three-meat fajitas with onions (no rice, beans, tortillas or other bad stuff) and half a Haas avocado. The meats in question: steak, shrimp and chicken. OM NOM NOM.

Exercise: None. I wish. I was afraid to work out because of what I'd been reading about retinal detachment and blood pressure. Today that'll be remedied because I have to run about half a dozen errands!

To drink: Water water water, as usual.
Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #993
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lamamadeabi
Hello I am Viviana and I have been Diabetic since 2006.
I am currently 8 month pregnant and for those that have been pregnant while been diabetic probably know that it gets very hard. Fortunately my A1C was 5.9 right before getting pregnant and is now 6.1 so I feel like I have not done really bad but my fasting sugar are off the roof.
I am currently on metformin 500 mg and also I do 10 Units of Lantus, 40 U of R Humulin and 60 U on N Humuling in the mirning and and night I do 34 R and 70 N.
No need to say that I have realized that I really need to make a change in my life once ta baby is born. I am very overweight . I was at 278 when I got pregnant and now I have gained about 17 lb.
When I was diagnosed in 2006 I was at 308 and I went doewn to 269 in 3 months by following the 6WBMO program which I am planning to re take once the Doctor gives me the ok.
I do not excercise and that is one of my goals for 2010 to get into some kind of "moving" program besides having to rn after a littel baby/toddler.

I have been looking for a group like this to share experinces with and I am glad I found you guys..I will rpobably be a little away for the next 3 months since I am due in February but once I have the baby I really want to take control of my health. And mostly I want to get off of insulkin and go back to just my Metformin.
Thanks for listening
Viviana
lamamadeabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #994
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Viviana,

Try to at least come back and periodically peruse these forums. Staying in touch is so important. Vicariously you can derive so much IMHO.

Good luck with the new addition. You know what has to be done. The obstacles you're encountering now will diminish with time. Make the commitment...follow the plan....report back...
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #995
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiody View Post
Viviana,

Try to at least come back and periodically peruse these forums. Staying in touch is so important. Vicariously you can derive so much IMHO.

Good luck with the new addition. You know what has to be done. The obstacles you're encountering now will diminish with time. Make the commitment...follow the plan....report back...
Thanks Chiody...what does IMHO mean?

My fasting has been super high these last 2 days so they increase my NPH at night if we keep incresing it I may just make a hole in it and drink it instead of inyecting it...LOL....I will try to report daily...anybody else pregnant or recently pregnant.?? did you have to stay on insulin after having the baby???
viviana
Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #996
Junior LCF Member

Good luck everyone..I am looking a for a board a little bit more active I need the support and I need to give some support but this board looks pretty dead right now
Old 01-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #997
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamamadeabi View Post
Thanks Chiody...what does IMHO mean?

My fasting has been super high these last 2 days so they increase my NPH at night if we keep incresing it I may just make a hole in it and drink it instead of inyecting it...LOL....I will try to report daily...anybody else pregnant or recently pregnant.?? did you have to stay on insulin after having the baby???
viviana
In My Humble Opinion...
Old 01-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #998
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrandNewMe2004
Stats: HW 330/CW 245.3/GW 150
WOE: LC/Primal
Had to go back on insulin after BG going over 300 again. Also discovered my insulin levels were normal w/ BG that high. Doc agrees I have some level of beta cell damage. I was at about 80 units of insulin in order to get my #'s in check this time, in addition to the meds & supplements I started again. I'm over the moon to report that in about a months time I've been able to eliminate the insulin as of last night. I've lost ~15 pounds, too. I'm very happy with this progress. I think my doctor will be, too.
http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com/
"I can have results or I can have excuses. I can not have both."
BrandNewMe2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 AM   #999
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Start Date: April 2009
Hi everyone, wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I'm a stay home mom who is Type II Diabetic. Been low carbing for a while now, and while I am losing weight consistently (and am only a few pounds from being half way to my goal of 100 lbs lost)- I can't get my blood sugars regulated no matter how hard I try. It's getting frustrating. I am only on Metformin right now, but am going to an Endocrinologist next week- and was hoping for some advice about questions to ask him and what's been working for other people.

My morning numbers are ALWAYS higher than my bedtime numbers- always in the 120-150 range; no matter how strict my carb control is. At the suggestion of another LC'er going to try some white wine and cheese at bedtime and see if that helps.

Look forward to getting to know everyone here.

Karly~

As of today (3/29/10) I have lost 65 pounds!!! 35 more to go!
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #1000
Major LCF Poster!

How has your BG levels changed since LCing? How's your post meal 1 hr./2hr. numbers?

A1C results?

Congrats on the wt. loss to date, 50 is terrific!!

KUTGW!!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #1001
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiody View Post
How has your BG levels changed since LCing? How's your post meal 1 hr./2hr. numbers?

A1C results?

Congrats on the wt. loss to date, 50 is terrific!!

KUTGW!!!!
Thanks so much...

My BG levels have changed amazingly with low carbing. If I eat a 'regular', high carb meal, white bread, etc- I'm well into the 200's- sometimes higher. With Low Carbing, I usually am between 125-150. However, adding Metformin to my Low Carbing seems to have done NOTHING to lower those numbers, not even a few points.

I am, occassionally, starting to see a lower number here and there- but they are few, far between, and no rhyme or reason (I keep a detailed log of diet, exercise, and just about anything else that could affect my readings).

Back in October my A1C was 6.4, last month it was 6.1...and I have to have more blood work done this week, so sort of hoping to be down into the 5's.

I am trying so hard to keep tight control over this. Just yesterday started on Apple Cider Vinegar, hoping it helps. I figure, at the very least, that one seems safe enough to take in moderation. My fasting this morning was 125, not great by any means, but at the end of my low spectrum in the mornings. I REALLY want to get the overnight number down, but it's being SO stubborn!

Last edited by Chickamomminy; 01-26-2010 at 07:23 AM..
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #1002
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
I am back. I was off/on plan the last few months and hardly ever taking my meds. My A1C showed it for sure. It is way up again. I am back on track now. Taking my met everyday and back to low-carb. Down 10 lbs so far. I haven't been checking my blood sugar regularly as I should, but I am going to start to. It always kept me accountable. My lowest B/S reading last year was in the 90's. I am going to work my way back there. I did it once, and I can do it again. I just have to stay focused.

"The man who can drive himself further once the effort
gets painful is the man who will win." - R.Bannister
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #1003
Blabbermouth!!!

Quick update...

My dawn numbers are loopy.
I been waking up w/high numbers. Last night I went to bed @120 and wake up @179

Today I skipped lunch and decided to test before dinner. My numbers jumped from 130 (after breakfast) to 180 (before dinner)

I know that my numbers will go down w/time as they did last time, but for now I hate seeing the higher numbers.

I just have to take it one day at a time.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #1004
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickamomminy View Post
Thanks so much...

My BG levels have changed amazingly with low carbing. If I eat a 'regular', high carb meal, white bread, etc- I'm well into the 200's- sometimes higher. With Low Carbing, I usually am between 125-150. However, adding Metformin to my Low Carbing seems to have done NOTHING to lower those numbers, not even a few points.

It's going to take some time for Metformin to kick in. How long have you been on it?

I am, occassionally, starting to see a lower number here and there- but they are few, far between, and no rhyme or reason (I keep a detailed log of diet, exercise, and just about anything else that could affect my readings).

And that is the way to determine trends, a great way to evaluate progress.

Back in October my A1C was 6.4, last month it was 6.1...and I have to have more blood work done this week, so sort of hoping to be down into the 5's.

Well your past results have been promising to say the least, I hope for a further lowering too!

I am trying so hard to keep tight control over this. Just yesterday started on Apple Cider Vinegar, hoping it helps. I figure, at the very least, that one seems safe enough to take in moderation. My fasting this morning was 125, not great by any means, but at the end of my low spectrum in the mornings. I REALLY want to get the overnight number down, but it's being SO stubborn!

ACV has many favorable properties, several in our family use it. You're doing the right things, LCing, keeping detailed logs, and I'm confident results will continue to be favorable...KUTGW!!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #1005
Blabbermouth!!!

Finally! My morning numbers are under 100! Beats getting those high dawn numbers I used to get. I am seeing a lot of readings in the 60-90 which I am happy about.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #1006
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Monkee View Post
Finally! My morning numbers are under 100! Beats getting those high dawn numbers I used to get. I am seeing a lot of readings in the 60-90 which I am happy about.
EXCELLENT!!!! KUTGW!!!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #1007
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
My morning numbers are fine 70 to 90 when I first get up but darn it I
see a 30 to 40 mg rise during the first two hours I am up. So I get up
at 6am and by 8am that good 90mg has risen to 130mg. I might try the
vinigar again and see if it helps any other ideas?
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #1008
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mmshadows
Start Date: November 2009
Lately I have been having either an Atkins shake or oatmeal at bedtime and then taking my bp & hypo meds when I wake at 5:30, but not taking my fasting reading for another hour or two. It seems to make a difference in lowering the morning reading, but I don't know if it's due to the change in routine, the bedtime snack, or the fact that my body adapting to the changes in eating overall.
mmshadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #1009
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/208/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
Just had a good talk with my Dr. saw her at a store this morning she asked how i was doing told her my fasting BS was 7.4=== 135 this morning and BP was 100/75 and is about there most days. She told me to stop taking 1 of the 3 BP meds i am on and to come in Monday morning and she would give me a prescription for Metformin. We talked about diet told her i was back doing LC she was supportive and said if its working go for it
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #1010
Blabbermouth!!!

I've struggled with dawn numbers for 2 years even though I've been on metformin and doing low-carb. During my last appointment my doctor put me on glipizide. He said to take it at lunch, but I save it and take it at bedtime instead. That gives me normal numbers in the morning, which is usually when I have my highest reading. It worked with metformin as well. If I take a dose at bedtime I don't wake up with high morning numbers.

E.W. - My numbers start rising in the morning even on an empty stomach. The only thing that stops it is if I eat something. It almost seems like my body is "confused" and eating snaps it back to normal and interrupts the crazy process.

JaneneM - I don't do this anymore, but eating a small amount of carbs before bedtime always helped to lower my dawn numbers. I stopped doing it though, since it triggered cravings for me.

Smoky - How wonderful to have such a supportive doctor.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #1011
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hpjrt
LC Monkee: Glad to hear about your morning numbers! In the last week or so, my morning numbers have been in the 100 range as well ... and since I'm not doing anything different, I have to conclude that ten months of LCing and exercising are finally showing up in my fasting bg readings!

E.W.: I don't know what my numbers do after taking my fasting bg. I generally don't test again until before lunch ... at which point they are generally the same as ... or a little lower than my fasting number.

I do recall that when I was first diagnosed, I would test after exercising ... and my numbers would show an increase then.

I try not to focus too much on individual readings now ... preferring to watch for the "daily trend". I found it keeps me a tad saner as well!

JaneneM: I have tried a variety of things before bed to help with my fasting numbers. I have a friend who finds that consuming carbs at bedtime means a lower fasting bg ... but it didn't work that way for me.

I generally have a glass of dry white wine before bed ... because it helps with my morning numbers ... and frankly, it's a rather pleasant ritual!

Of course, now that I'm seeing nice morning numbers around the 100 mark ... I daren't stop drinking the white wine at night! :blush:

Smoky How wonderful that your doctor is supportive and seems to actually understand what you're doing ... and why you're doing it! So many doctors don't understand the concept of low carb ... and thus simply parrot the CDA/ADA concepts. And how lucky that you can bounce things off of her when you run into her at a store! That doesn't happen very often!

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #1012
Senior LCF Member

LCMonkee & Mary,

I've tried oatmeal before bed. Minimal help even when I topped it with cinnamon. I've come to love half & half though! About the only time I use milk now is for baking.

I've tried apple cider tablets with a bedtime snack, and they helped a little.

The Atkins shake helps a little more than the other things, but not much. The one thing that seems to have the biggest impact is not eating many calories or carbs after 5:30 p.m. I don't have any cravings, but sometimes I do get hungry when I do that.

I've tried taking my thyroid & bp meds between 5:30 & 6:00 a.m. and not eating until 6:30 or 7. Thought maybe my meds were messing up my morning readings...

The thought of white wine sounds pretty durned good to me! I'll have to give it a try.

I've tried lower carb similar to Dr. B, but it doesn't help me lose weight. I was reading some posts by a lady on the thyroid threads. She said something needing more carbs to manage her hypo. I seem to do better on 20-25 carbs at noon and less at breakfast & dinner. I'm not losing weight like I did the first time I counted carbs, but I'm averaging 4-5 pounds a month. And I suppose that too will help with the morning readings. I hope!

Thanks for the ideas.
Janene

Last edited by mmshadows; 04-11-2010 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: (typos)
Old 04-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #1013
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Eight days ago I finaly got below the 300 lb mark. Well 299.9 lbs is less than 300
and it feels better to say I am in the high 200's! Well today I am down to 297 lbs.
I believe I was about 312 lbs 2 months ago. My blood pressure and blood sugar are
a lot better now. I guess the weight will come off if I am patient.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #1014
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hpjrt
Hi Janene: I know nothing about thyroid problems ... but I do know that they impede weight loss, or at least the acquaintance I have who has thyroid problems found that losing weight was more difficult.

I think a slower weight loss has a lot of advantages over losing it quickly. I think your body gets to adjust to the weight loss when it's slower. I don't have any studies that prove this ... but it's something I've noticed with others. When the weight loss is too rapid, the person tends to look gaunt and somewhat unhealthy ... and I suspect that the lost weight will be regained when the loss is faster.

I think you're doing well ... and whatever level of carbs works for you is OK.

EW: congratulations on the weight loss!

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #1015
Senior LCF Member

Hi All,

just a quick update... I bought some white wine today. I know nothing about wine. Back in the day (30+ years ago) my poison of choice were things like vodka, tequila, & rum. Wine always gave me headaches. Hopefully chenin blanc and chardonay are dry white wines.

I came in from unloading 10 bags of mulch and mowing the back 40 for half an hour, and my reading was 109. I've had less than 15 carbs today. So I had sipped some wine, and woozy best describes the reaction. I ate a couple of brownies and am hoping for the best. I thought I would be fine because we have had mild spring weather for Iowa, but the humid factor is still kicking in.

In addition, I am experiencing a flare-up from another condition which is thought to be autoimmune. So I am hoping that the 109 is from either the exercise or the inflammation I'm fighting. Fingers crossed that tomorrow morning will be lower fasting reading.

Thanks for the feedback and support.

Janene
Old 04-19-2010, 06:02 AM   #1016
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm...either I drank too much white wine, the stress in my life right now, or something has my glucose messed up. I do confess that I haven't been doing readings more than every other day for the last month. I thought I had a routine down and was sticking to it. Silly me.

When I woke at 5:30 this a.m., my reading was 112. I took my synthroid and bp meds. Only main activity was exercising the dogs before coming to work. My reading before I ate at 7:45 was 124. I thought that had to be wrong but also knew I hadn't eaten yet. I tried a different finger and got a higher reading. So either it is that I'm releasing more because I hadn't eaten for 2 hours after waking, the chronic stress I'm experiencing at this time of year, or the wine. Or maybe my meter is messed up... I do pack it everywhere I go, and it could have been bounced around too much in my tote. Sorry about the post w/random thoughts and no specific questions. I did enjoy the wine.

Last edited by mmshadows; 04-19-2010 at 06:03 AM..
Old 04-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #1017
Major LCF Poster!

Seems like the dawn phenomenon / somogyi effect at work here. A quick testing upon awakening is usually lower than a time lapse period. You didn't "mess up."
Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #1018
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Chiody. I think you're right. I just checked it before lunch, and the reading was back to 90. It's probably just something I'm going to have to work on, I guess. The only other change in routine have been lunches & evening meals. I'm working longer hours again, and sometimes my morning readings are higher when I have my evening meal (no matter how light it is) after 6:00 p.m. And in the last week or so, I've had school lunches daily. Usually I give the stuff that isn't good for me to one of the students or just throw it away. But...those lunches probably aren't good for me either.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #1019
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: floridagirl6
Stats: 200/145.6/130. Restart 160/
WOE: ME/Scarsdale/Low Carb Low Cal
Start Date: Restart 7/21/14
Hi All,

I'm new to this thread. I recomitted on April 17th and my blood sugars went from the high 300's to 123 this am! I lost 6 pounds last week. I am just happy to have brought my bs levels down.
floridagirl6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #1020
Major LCF Poster!

Fascinating decrease in so short time period. Were you just diagnosed? And are you on any meds? T1 or 2...1.5? Supplements taken? Exercise?

KUTGW!!!