Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
yackyjan - are you on any medications?
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #962
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pippi819
Charmedpea..BS900? It's a wonder your husband didn't have a stroke or drop dead? When my husband was first diagnosed, his first BS reading at the endocronologist was 350 and she called that evening to check on him, to see if he felt okay. If things don't improve, maybe it's time to change endocronologist, like we did back in March and what a big difference. Amazed at how much more the new endocronologist does than the previous one. My husband's A1C has come down from 7.8 to 6.1 since March, he's lost about 15 lbs. and he's so much happier when he comes out of the Drs. office. The other lady and him would be at each other's throats at each visit. This one is bubbling, and very thorough in her examination, is more up to date on technology, and she encourages him and offers compliments. What a difference, plus we don't have to pay for parking while he's in the Drs. office, like he did before. "That used to frost my cake!"
Pippi819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #963
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CookinsForMe
Stats: 188.8/162/140
WOE: Lower carb, moderate fat, & walking
Start Date: 6/24/09 for the umpteenth time.
Welcome, yackyjan! I hope you learn a lot here. You'll find you're in good company here.

I'm Denise, 47, Type 2 diagnosed in 2000, back on low carb to get that BG under tighter control!

I do wonder though...why are you so against insulin? Just curious.

Denise
CookinsForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #964
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
YackyJan,

You have to stop fighting it. You're diabetic and that requires that you stay on top of it every single day and do whatever necessary to ensure that your numbers stay low. If that includes medication, I think you should do it. By delaying what you know you have to do, you are simply harming yourself. You might not be able to see it, or even feel it sometimes, but everytime your levels stay elevated, damage is being done internally to your organs. Once that damage is done, its difficult to revert, so why not try and slow it down, or even prevent it? Taking insulin doesnt mean that you failed. It just means that you need help, because your body is tired, and it cant function properly anymore. Medically, it needs a support system, just like you need a support system, mentally/emotionally to get through the every-day-struggles of being diabetic.

"The man who can drive himself further once the effort
gets painful is the man who will win." - R.Bannister
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #965
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yackyjan
Stats: 178/180/140
WOE: Moderate to Low Carbs
Start Date: August 19, 2009
Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement (and the not so subtle kicks in the butt). I am on meds: glucophage, Januvia and since Tuesday, WellChol. I also take suppliments that are supposed to help with sugar levels.

Since I last posted, I've had two more episodes of fibrillation with my heart. I went to the hospital, but by the time they checked me in, it stopped and they couldn't find anything. This has happened several times. A lot of people in my family have fibrillation, so I know that's what it is. They tell me that even if they catch it on the EKG, there's nothing they can do about it unless it becomes chronic, then they can give me meds and if they don't help, they will put in a pacemaker.

My doctor gave me the name of a cardiologist, so I need to make an appointment with him.

My doctor and I have agreed that if my sugar levels don't drop in the next three months, I will go on insulin. My A1C was 7.5. I have not been exercising at all. I love to walk, but it's been 105-115 degrees here for the past 2 months, so I can't get out and walk because I get over heated quickly. I can't afford a gym membership, but I could be doing some exercise in my home. Have to dig out those old exercise videos.

I don't know why I don't want to go on insulin. The first reason that comes to mind is inconvenience. I was on Byetta for a while and it was just such a pain trying to carry it with me and keep it cold in the Arizona heat. Is it the same with insulin? Does it have to be refrigerated? Also, I don't eat unless I'm hungry, which happens at all different times, so I don't know how I would dose myself on insulin. It just all seems so confusing...getting the dosing right. It's just soo much to think about. It feels like diabetes is about to take over my life.

I have just come through the 4 worst years of my life. So much has happened from losing my Dad to cancer (I was his caretaker, so I nursed him through a year of cancer, then watched him die.), I lost a job I loved and had for 6 years over something someone else did, and I suffered excruciating pain in my mouth for 3 years from lichen planus.

Fortunately, the lichen planus has almost entirely cleared up, relationships that were broken with former co-workers have been mended and I love being home now instead of working. Of course, money is tighter, but I have a husband that is a hard worker, so we make it.

He is wonderful in every way except understanding my struggle with diabetes. I have explained and explained the whole disease and he still doesn't get it. He loves to cook and is always offering me food I shouldn't have. Of course, I don't have to take it, but I do half the time...that's not his fault, it's mine.

Yikes, I didn't mean to write a book here, but it's nice to just spill the beans when you think someone might just understand your struggle. Thanks for "listening".
yackyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #966
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CookinsForMe
Stats: 188.8/162/140
WOE: Lower carb, moderate fat, & walking
Start Date: 6/24/09 for the umpteenth time.
I do understand about not wanting to be on insulin. I didn't want it either but when it became clear that I needed it I accepted it because it was better than the alternative. Of course, my goal is to get off the insulin and I hope weight loss and LC will help that but if not, I'll be okay with the insulin.

Back before June 24th I was shooting close to 200 units most days. Some of it was Novolin N, a 12 hour insulin I take twice a day, but most was Novolog, a rapid acting insulin. I was shooting so much to correct ridiculous highs and to allow me to eat a 'normal' diet. Unfortunately, my insulin resistance was through the roof and I was simply gaining more weight and not properly using the insulin I make or inject. I started going to the gym on June 24th and went back to my lower carb way of eating on the same day and within two days had drastically reduced the insulin. I now take 15 units of Novolin N twice a day and rarely need the Novolog - maybe once a week instead of multiple injections throughout the day.

I didn't mean to jack your thread but told you this for a reason - so you'll know others have been where you are now. Nurse is right. Using insulin doesn't mean you failed (I felt that way) or that you don't eat properly (I felt that way and didn't eat well a lot of the time) or that you're looking for the easy way out (some people believe that). My pancreas was soooo tired from years of battling high blood sugar and it needed a rest. I think insulin gave it that and now with the weight loss, exercise, better diet and metformin, I need little insulin. Stop fighting the insulin thing and if you need it, get it.

Most insulins (not sure if all) can be unrefrigerated for a certain amount of time per month but I think this might vary with the insulin. Transporting it really isn't hard. I bought an inexpensive makeup bag and two of the ice packs you freeze before use and if I need to take insulin with me, I pop an ice pack in the bag, put the insulin and a syringe in a baggie and throw it in the bag. That works fine.

As for dosing, one of the fast acting insulins would be good, perhaps. You shoot based on your current BG and the number of carbs you'll eat and eat within a certain amount of time. For me that time is always longer than what they say but every body is different. The faster acting insulins allow more flexibility with the diet, I think.

One other thing then I'll end my chapter. I'm a very good cook and my husband loves my cooking but I've had to learn to channel that talent of mine into healthy food. You might not be able to stop your husband from making food that isn't good for you but you're right that you eating it isn't his fault. That's your choice and you're free to make it. But remember the consequences of uncontrolled diabetes...is any food worth that?

All said with love, I hope you know that....

Denise
CookinsForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #967
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Cookins for Me:
In no way were you threadjacking. I think you are contributing a lot with your perspective, as is nursemonkee and others. With diabetes, you do what you have to do to keep that blood sugar down, or the consequences are bad. I'm lucky that I can now manage with diet and exercise, but if I needed meds, I would take them, including insulin.

Having said that, though, I also think that taking meds just so you can eat a bunch of carbs is not healthy. I cringe whenever I see people saying, "Oh, now that I'm on metformin and insulin I can eat 100 grams of carbs a day!" I really disagree with that approach because you are still putting a lot of stress on your system and will need more meds over time that way. I think that only if after taking your carbs very low (under 10 g/day if necessary), eating just enough protein that your body needs, and just enough calories that your body needs, taking supplements such as antioxidants, and then still you need meds go ahead and take them. At that point you know you need them. I know I'm being a bit radical here, but this is a low-carb forum and it's just my opinion.

Yackyjan: I'm glad you're here trying to figure it out. Hopefully you'll be starting a turn-around soon. Hang in there.

Last edited by mermaid; 08-22-2009 at 08:45 AM..
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #968
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
I also think that taking meds just so you can eat a bunch of carbs is not healthy. I cringe whenever I see people saying, "Oh, now that I'm on metformin and insulin I can eat 100 grams of carbs a day!" I really disagree with that approach because you are still putting a lot of stress on your system and will need more meds over time that way. I think that only if after taking your carbs very low (under 10 g/day if necessary), eating just enough protein that your body needs, and just enough calories that your body needs, taking supplements such as antioxidants, and then still you need meds go ahead and take them. At that point you know you need them. I know I'm being a bit radical here, but this is a low-carb forum and it's just my opinion.
I partly agree with you, but I think that eating 10g a day is unrealistic for most. Yes, some can do VLC without any problems, but for many, it is simply too drastic and not something that is managable over time. If medication will help someone eat normally (where they don't feel restricted or like they are on a diet), and manage their G/B, I think they should be on meds. I am all for natural treatments, if it works, but I don't think that meds should be delayed or that one must go almost zero carb just to keep numbers low. If you need to do that, then you should be on meds, because your system clearly is not functioning as it should and can't even process a small amount of carbs. I do agree that meds are not a free pass to eat, though, and people should stay focused and still eating healthy, low-carb, and balance.

ETA: I should add that I am not being confrontational. I thought I should clarify that, lol, since things always seem to be taken the wrong way on this LC board.

I should also add that I am one of those sensitive people who HAS to eat VLC to keep numbers low. I couldn't even eat lettuce without my numbers shooting up. I went months without meds, because I wanted to do it naturally, but am now on metformin, and I couldn't be happier. I am not out binging or eating carbage, but it is nice to know that I can eat a salad and not worry about my numbers going crazy or my organs being damaged.

Last edited by Monkee; 08-24-2009 at 11:19 AM..
Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #969
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maeve
Stats: 228/211/178
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Ongoing
As far as walking in the heat and not being able to afford a gym fee, please call around; you may find that some gyms have scholarships. Our hospital has a new one and it's very expensive, which is why I stuck with my old one (I like it there anyway). But they have scholarships there. I am not a jock by any means, but I joined one because I, too, knew that I wouldn't go out and walk in the heat, or the cold, or the this or the that. My gym costs $1 a day.
Maeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #970
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/197
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 3/05
Good Morning!!

I have had high blood sugar for a few years now. I was put on Metformin starting at 500 mg per day and doc kept raising it until I was at 2850 mg a day and sweating like a pig. I was miserable!! I finally told my doc this was no way to live and she cut the Meformin down to 500 mg twice a day and Byetta 5mg twice a day. Her hope is to eventually have me on 10 mg Byetta twice a day and off of Metformin totally. I hate shots but love the Byetta. I have been on it less than a month and have lost 12 lbs. My sweating has backed off temendously! I eat way less and don't really have to count calories or carbs, I just don't eat anything white. I am a long time lowcarber and it's nice to be able to have a piece of toast once in while or a sandwich on bread without having to make it myself. I still use lowcarb milk and when buying something new out of habit I always check the carbs on it. I am trying to do everything in moderation with my new found appetite control. Hope this last...Anyone been on Byetta for a year or more?? Any hits of what I can expect or how well it works? Thanks guys!!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #971
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMonkee View Post
I partly agree with you, but I think that eating 10g a day is unrealistic for most. Yes, some can do VLC without any problems, but for many, it is simply too drastic and not something that is managable over time. If medication will help someone eat normally (where they don't feel restricted or like they are on a diet), and manage their G/B, I think they should be on meds. I am all for natural treatments, if it works, but I don't think that meds should be delayed or that one must go almost zero carb just to keep numbers low. If you need to do that, then you should be on meds, because your system clearly is not functioning as it should and can't even process a small amount of carbs. I do agree that meds are not a free pass to eat, though, and people should stay focused and still eating healthy, low-carb, and balance.

ETA: I should add that I am not being confrontational. I thought I should clarify that, lol, since things always seem to be taken the wrong way on this LC board.

I should also add that I am one of those sensitive people who HAS to eat VLC to keep numbers low. I couldn't even eat lettuce without my numbers shooting up. I went months without meds, because I wanted to do it naturally, but am now on metformin, and I couldn't be happier. I am not out binging or eating carbage, but it is nice to know that I can eat a salad and not worry about my numbers going crazy or my organs being damaged.
I think we agree more than disagree. I would simply like to encourage everyone to do what works for them to lose weight, feel better, and keep that blood sugar under control. Some folks absolutely need those meds as they are very advanced and cannot turn things around without some "outside help." I really want to caution people about trusting in drugs too much, though. And I do think very low carb can be healthy and viable for a lot of people.

The important thing is to never go into denial and ignore high blood sugar. Gotta keep trying to find something that works. Sometimes it's hard, though, especially where drugs are concerned, to determine what long-term outcomes will be. That's where you really have to stay on your toes. Things can change over time.

One more thing: Metformin does have side effects, including causing heart troubles. That info is easily found on the web. It seems like most people on this board do not even factor that in.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #972
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassay View Post
Good Morning!!

I have had high blood sugar for a few years now. I was put on Metformin starting at 500 mg per day and doc kept raising it until I was at 2850 mg a day and sweating like a pig. I was miserable!! I finally told my doc this was no way to live and she cut the Meformin down to 500 mg twice a day and Byetta 5mg twice a day. Her hope is to eventually have me on 10 mg Byetta twice a day and off of Metformin totally. I hate shots but love the Byetta. I have been on it less than a month and have lost 12 lbs. My sweating has backed off temendously! I eat way less and don't really have to count calories or carbs, I just don't eat anything white. I am a long time lowcarber and it's nice to be able to have a piece of toast once in while or a sandwich on bread without having to make it myself. I still use lowcarb milk and when buying something new out of habit I always check the carbs on it. I am trying to do everything in moderation with my new found appetite control. Hope this last...Anyone been on Byetta for a year or more?? Any hits of what I can expect or how well it works? Thanks guys!!
OMG, maybe you can answer a question for me, I am taking 850 mg metformin 3x a day, and I have horrible night sweats - is this because of metformin? - I didn't know what it was from, I also take fenofibrate at night?
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #973
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: babik1sses
Stats: 252/236/175
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Start Date: July 31, 09
Hi guys glad I found this thread. I am also Pre diabetic and had gestational diabetes , but gave birth to healthy 7lb 3oz baby girl on Sept 26, 08. I gained a total of 10lbs while pregnant! Can you belive that? hahah I learned alot about myself and the way I was eating from being diagnosed . I was in very much denial at first because when your pregnant and miserable you don't want to deal with any more stress! I also am Hypertensive for years maybe 10 now. All this and I'm 29 years old. Hard to believe I'm this young, but alot of stress, strain, and weight on my body. So the whole spill about me having a high percentage of being diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 within 5 years was simply not taken to seriously. I have been so bad to my body and reading and researching and these boards help me out a great deal. My recent numbers since I technically started low carb lifestyle about 3 weeks ago have dramatically changed my fasting Glucose to almost back to normal. They are as follows-
Name Standard Range 7/14/08 -5/13/09 -8/14/09
Glucose, fasting (mg/dL) < 100- mg/dL 115 H -110 H- 101 H

I'm obviously thrilled of how much I've learned and how I've gone to almost completely normal . Question is since I've lowered my sugars down I'm wondering If I would still be considered (Pre Diabetic) I would assume if i went back to high carb foods I would go back to being at bad numbers. Is there a line to say you just don't have it anymore or Will I always be a diabetic ?
babik1sses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #974
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
One more thing: Metformin does have side effects, including causing heart troubles. That info is easily found on the web. It seems like most people on this board do not even factor that in.
I don't think that you can really say that most people on this board have not factored in the heart issue. I factored it in, and made a choice to move forward with metformin. It was what was best for me, based on my medical history. I did consider the pros/cons. I didn't just go on metformin w/out carefully researching it. Everyones body is different and everyones story is different. If someone can control their numbers naturally, I think they should. I tried to do so myself, but it was not enough.

On a related topic, I don't think that anyone should fear meds or go untreated. Medication is there to help you while you find the right mix for your body. There is no need to stress your body while you adapt to a new lifestyle. Medication can take off the added strain from your organs. I know that going VLC/ZC can as well, but as I mentioned above, that is not a realistic option for everyone.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #975
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMonkee View Post
I don't think that you can really say that most people on this board have not factored in the heart issue. I factored it in, and made a choice to move forward with metformin. It was what was best for me, based on my medical history. I did consider the pros/cons. I didn't just go on metformin w/out carefully researching it. Everyones body is different and everyones story is different. If someone can control their numbers naturally, I think they should. I tried to do so myself, but it was not enough.

On a related topic, I don't think that anyone should fear meds or go untreated. Medication is there to help you while you find the right mix for your body. There is no need to stress your body while you adapt to a new lifestyle. Medication can take off the added strain from your organs. I know that going VLC/ZC can as well, but as I mentioned above, that is not a realistic option for everyone.
I don't think that anyone who needs meds should go untreated either. All should be some form of low-carb at least. 55% of the diet being carbs as recommended by ADA is insane. It makes people loose limbs and get dead.

You really think that most people know the dangers of metformin?
Old 08-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #976
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babik1sses View Post
Hi guys glad I found this thread. I am also Pre diabetic and had gestational diabetes , but gave birth to healthy 7lb 3oz baby girl on Sept 26, 08. I gained a total of 10lbs while pregnant! Can you belive that? hahah I learned alot about myself and the way I was eating from being diagnosed . I was in very much denial at first because when your pregnant and miserable you don't want to deal with any more stress! I also am Hypertensive for years maybe 10 now. All this and I'm 29 years old. Hard to believe I'm this young, but alot of stress, strain, and weight on my body. So the whole spill about me having a high percentage of being diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 within 5 years was simply not taken to seriously. I have been so bad to my body and reading and researching and these boards help me out a great deal. My recent numbers since I technically started low carb lifestyle about 3 weeks ago have dramatically changed my fasting Glucose to almost back to normal. They are as follows-
Name Standard Range 7/14/08 -5/13/09 -8/14/09
Glucose, fasting (mg/dL) < 100- mg/dL 115 H -110 H- 101 H

I'm obviously thrilled of how much I've learned and how I've gone to almost completely normal . Question is since I've lowered my sugars down I'm wondering If I would still be considered (Pre Diabetic) I would assume if i went back to high carb foods I would go back to being at bad numbers. Is there a line to say you just don't have it anymore or Will I always be a diabetic ?
I think you need to keep testing yourself on a regular basis. You are at risk of things eventually worsening, so you want to stay on it. I made the mistake of not testing after gestational and going back to normal. Two years later felt funny one day, tested and was 360. That was a shock. Hoping things do go better for you!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #977
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I don't think that anyone who needs meds should go untreated either. All should be some form of low-carb at least. 55% of the diet being carbs as recommended by ADA is insane. It makes people loose limbs and get dead.

You really think that most people know the dangers of metformin?
Of course not, but people are not ignorant about it either. Doctors explain, pharmacist provide instructions, risk, side effects w/each prescription, and as you mentioned, the internet and libraries are there. Most people * I * know did research about their condition and the possible treatment options. They did not just jump in and view metformin as some miracle pill. Met (or other drugs) are not magic pills. They know that it is simply something that aids their body. Yes, there will be people who just take whatever their doctors give them, but you can't just assume that people aren't being responsible and educating themselves.

All meds have side effects and risks. Metformin has been around forever and while it is not risk free, it does help a lot of people. As I mentioned, if someone can control their numbers naturally, they should, but I don't feel that anyone has to be drastic and eliminate veggies, fruits, and healthy foods just to keep numbers low. Medication is there to help, for those who need it. Yes, it has risks, but I think that those risks are worth taking when compared to the damage that is done when b/g remains uncontrolled.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:14 AM   #978
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
yackyjan, since it's so hot there, what about going to a mall if there's one around. Lots of people walk at the mall for exercise. Expecially when it's that hot. At least it's a place that's cooler than outside.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:48 AM   #979
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
That would be Especially, not expecially, lol.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:10 AM   #980
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning to all...I'm down a pound That was awesome to see this morning.

Also, my sugar is averaging 95 a day. Hope I don't have to wait 3 months to see another pound come off...but I'm thankful for what I've got.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #981
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathieinut
Stats: restart 209.6/162/145
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restart (4th time around) 5/18/09
I too want to celebrate lower A1C numbers once more.
a bit over 3 months ago after ignoring my diabetes...don't you know that ignorance is bliss?...NOT!...I tested at almost 12. Dr put me on metformin and of course I was diligant with my LC/Low Glycemic Load eating and a few days ago I tested at 6.8. Much better than before. Not quite at the below 6 I was hoping for but I know with my age..53 almost 54 and eating history I am willing to take it for now.

I have been concerned about my morning readings being at above 100 but the dr says I just need to take it a step at a time.
She did say I deserve a gold star and an A+ and how it was a testament to my good eating! I am very lucky to have a dr who is willing to let me do what is best for me and not what the conventional wisdom says!
Remind Myself...Being thin is better than anything else tastes right now!
Current: 162 down 43.6 from re-start

Exercise this week: Mon,Tue,Wed,Thus, Fri, Sat off , Sun
Cathieinut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #982
Blabbermouth!!!

Goodcelt & Cathie,
You're both doing amazing. KUTGW.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #983
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Marvin
Stats: WT=410/345/225?
WOE: Atkins induction, Bernstein
Start Date: Which time?
Great job!
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #984
Blabbermouth!!!

Good Morning (or afternoon, LOL)

How is everyone doing w/their numbers?

My numbers have been all over the place lately. I spike, then drop, then spike, then drop, then spike, spike, then drop between 90-170 or so. That is what I've seen when I test. I don't know if it is going higher/lower duing times when I am not testing, but with how crazy my body has been reacting, I wouldn't doubt it.

It is just way too crazy. If it were food related, I could easily correct it, but it is not. I had 1 day where I had junky food (6 saltines, 2 cookies, 1 ezikiel, 1c legumes, throughout the day) but that is about it. I think that it is more related to stress and lack of sleep. It is just mind blowing to see my numbers fluctuate so much as my stress level increases and my sleep decreases.

I am going to try to sleep a bit more, maybe learn some quick relaxation techniques that I can do throughout the day, and am also going to try Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.

Last edited by Monkee; 09-06-2009 at 12:44 PM..
Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #985
Senior LCF Member

Hi,
My numbers have been a little more up and down lately too, though staying in the 110s to 130s level at the high...but i'm not seeing the 90's like I was.

Not exercising due to a bad chest cold which came on last Thursday. Don't think it's flu as I've had no fever, but feel really rundown, and don't feel like eating right.

Will being sick cause your numbers to go up?
Old 09-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #986
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Griffen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Will being sick cause your numbers to go up?
Absolutely. I had a very minor ear infection (pierced ear, not inner ear) and my numbers were consistently 20 points higher.

My big problem right now with my numbers is that they are always in the 120s in the mornings, and spike 30 points higher whenever I exercise. It drives me nuts.
Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #987
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffen View Post
Absolutely. I had a very minor ear infection (pierced ear, not inner ear) and my numbers were consistently 20 points higher.
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffen View Post
My big problem right now with my numbers is that they are always in the 120s in the mornings, and spike 30 points higher whenever I exercise. It drives me nuts.
Does it make a difference when you exercise? I changed to PM exercise and it seemed to help my post-exercise numbers. At any rate, sounds like a stress response to me???
Old 09-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #988
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Thanks for the info.

Does it make a difference when you exercise? I changed to PM exercise and it seemed to help my post-exercise numbers. At any rate, sounds like a stress response to me???
Oh, it is. But I still have to exercise, and the only time I have available is in the mornings.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #989
Senior LCF Member

Things were better today. I started out at 126 again, and peaked to an upsetting 151 after a twenty-minute workout (with the DVD that a friend sent me) but after that my sugars dropped over three hours down to 103. The highest since has been 112, and that was after a meal which had about a cup of broccoli and a couple tablespoons of sour cream dip. My carbs today were a little high, but still under 50 (32 net, actually). I had four meals: breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, evening snack. I didn't really have dinner per se.

Breakfast: My usual, 3-egg cinnamon parmesan omelette and 2 strips nitrate/nitrite-free bacon. And a tablespoon of coconut oil.

Lunch: About 2 oz of summer sausage (we're using it up), an ounce of string cheese, a cup of broccoli, and a quarter-cup of raspberries. And a tablespoon of coconut oil.

Snack 1: Another cup of broccoli, 2 tablespoons of sour cream dip, three half-cup fried cheese wheels, and the ubiquitous tablespoon of coconut oil.

Snack 2: A cup of cauliflower, another tablespoon of sour cream dip, another ounce of string cheese, and the coconut oil is due in about half an hour.

Exercise: 23 minutes of the Pay It Forward/10-Minute Trainer DVD that someone sent me which is specifically for heavy people. Got my heart rate up to about 60% of maximum; it was a good workout.

To drink: Lots of water, as usual.

Blood sugar average today (up to the before-Snack-2 reading): 118. I need to get that down, but I think I need to exercise every day in some way because that's the only thing that's really going to work on the insulin resistance.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:54 AM   #990
Major LCF Poster!

OK...rising sugar for the past week has been: 105, 91, 110, 110, 110, and this morning, 105. My weight dropped to 188 on 9/1 and today, I weighed myself and was 187. I'm happy about the weight loss. Wish the rising sugar would go back down. Crazy...