Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #901
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
My morning numbers are back down to 110-115 and my pre/post meal numbers in the 90's. I am going back down again which is good. I hope it keeps up.

I just realized that today is July 7! A year ago today I found out that I was a diabetic with a fasting b/s of 279. My post-meal numbers were no better at 337!

I might not be 100% in the normal range just yet, but I sure am close, and have reduced my numbers greatly from a year ago. I am pretty proud of myself. Yay! Go me.

"The man who can drive himself further once the effort
gets painful is the man who will win." - R.Bannister
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2009, 06:06 AM   #902
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
I have been having high numbers in morning. This is after I have like two cups of coffee with half and half, and one packet of sweet and low - do you think this does anything to bs? - This morning is was 164.

Also, any input as to where you get your test strips? I go online but I thought if any of you knew somewhere cheaper????

I am so disgusted with myself - for not just getting this weight off and equalizing my bs -
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:06 AM   #903
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nursemonkee - congrats to you!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #904
Blabbermouth!!!

I get mine on ebay. I buy in bulk and make sure that the exp. is in 2010. I also try to look for the newer strips that have the name on them. I've only run into problems 1x, but the seller quickly sent me replacements.

My insurance only covers a portion of my strips. I am left to buy the rest on my own since I test so much.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:33 AM   #905
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

NurseMonkee - I never thought of e-bay - thanks!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #906
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MACXXX
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMonkee View Post
I get mine on ebay. I buy in bulk and make sure that the exp. is in 2010. I also try to look for the newer strips that have the name on them. I've only run into problems 1x, but the seller quickly sent me replacements.
I also buy my strips off of Ebay. Just buy from a reputable seller. There are plenty of sellers who are 100% by reputation and have sells in the many hundreds. Make sure the strips come sealed in the box. I have had only one bad experience where the seller specifically listed sealed (make sure it says that in the auction ad) but I got an unsealed box. Made them send me a new box otherwise negative rep for them.
MACXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:52 AM   #907
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MACXXX
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
I have been having high numbers in morning. This is after I have like two cups of coffee with half and half, and one packet of sweet and low - do you think this does anything to bs? - This morning is was 164.
Half-n-half has carbs since it is half milk. Better to use heavy whipping cream. Test for yourself and find out how much your coffee with half-n-half raises your blood sugar once you get those strips. My bet is that it does raise your blood sugar.
MACXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #908
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks MACXXX for your help!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #909
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
I get my strips on ebay too. Only one rip-off where she sent an empty box and never made good on it, but I have saved multiple hundreds of dollars overall. My mom also has extra from her insurance because she hardly ever tests herself (doesn't want to see those 200's and 300's from eating her Kentucky Fried Chicken and milkshakes I guess).
I've seen them on craigslist too.

Hit 95 this morning for my fasting glucose. Experimenting with some different supplements and eating only LC soup for dinner.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #910
Blabbermouth!!!

Cheryl - Coffee raises my b/s. Some people say that it shouldn't and the whole caffeine thing is a myth, but I am going based on MY results. When I drink coffee my numbers go up.

Mermaid - WTG on hitting 95 this morning. What supplements are you taking?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #911
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Starting serious today, had a serving (shake) of Glucaffect at breakfast, brought everything to make one at lunch. Will have one before dinner, and one before bed. I have to be consistent with this, blood work being done in one month. As long as I've got the numbers going downward, my doctor will let me continue with diet, supplement, and exercise as opposed to more medicine.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #912
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txtapper
WOE: Low Carb High Fat (Rosedale)
Quote:
Cheryl - Coffee raises my b/s. Some people say that it shouldn't and the whole caffeine thing is a myth, but I am going based on MY results. When I drink coffee my numbers go up.

This can be true for some people. I have no idea why. But it doesn't raise mine. Everyone is different. I use heavy cream in my coffee and no sweetener at all other than once in awhile I'll use some stevia but most of the time I don't like sweet coffee.
txtapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #913
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Quote:

I take a LOT of supplements, but not all of these are taken every day. Some I just rotate around because I am still trying to find the right mix without overdoing it:

Life force multivitamin
Emergen-C supergram III
coral calcium/mag/vit D
magnesium oil spray (topical)
Oceans 3 omegas
bovine thyroid glandular
kelp
maca
eleuthero
Nature's Way blood sugar formula
pregnenolone
shilajit
epidemium
banaba extract
600 mg alpha lipoic acid
slendesta and caralluma (appetite supression)

I take all of this because I have three different hormone issues going on: diabetes, premenopause, and low thyroid. I also started a family late in life, and need to keep up with a younger husband and 7-year-old daughter. I do not have a doctor, so no meds.

What I have added this week that I think is making a difference is DIM and magnesium oil spray. DIM is supposed to balance sex hormones, which then in turn affects all the other hormones.

Yesterday I skipped dinner because I was not hungry, and for me, that is very unusual. I also was 82 BS at bedtime but felt really good, which is also unusual. A BS that low usually means a fog-brain fatigue, feeling like I'm asleep on my feet.

Just as important as the supplements is the diet, of course. Currently I am keeping under 10 grams carbs/1200-1600 calories. My new plan is to have only egg-drop soup for dinner with a little meat and veggies in it, only 200-300 calories. It seems that scant eating in the evening is helping my overall blood sugars.

These are the deets for me, and I'm still in progress, and I'm just me, just sharing. I hope everyone will keep posting their experiences also. We have a lot of lurkers who can glean some good info here.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #914
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
hi everyone, i have been trying to lower my bs as well...i am starting to think that too much protein is the problem for me....what kind of fiber do you guys recommend? when i have a yogurt in the morning w/granola, (sugar free) my numbers are better than when i don't..any suggestions? i am waking up w/numbers around 140, and around 5 pm i am at 100...thanks in advance! i take 500 mg metformin, before breakfast and dinner.

Last edited by That Girl; 07-13-2009 at 11:13 PM..
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #915
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Dr has told me to keep increasing bedtime Levemir until my fasting morning blood sugar numbers are under 100. I am also taking Novolog 10 units PLUS coverage before three meals.
I have cut down on portion size. Am eating lowcarb/more protein and veggies. Small amt lowcarb berries.
Always high in early morning!
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #916
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Not doing so well at getting those 4 servings per day of Glucaffect in. Yesterday was a no nutritional supplement at all day. So, I figure my high reading this morning is a good indication of without supplements and metformin (which I need to reorder). However, I have had serving 1 of Glucaffect and Classic this morning. Will have another after lunch, one when I get home, and one before bed. This is the routine I need to establish. I'm also back into the "no fruits" (my big downfall). So, going to give the supplementing without Metformin 1 week and see what happens (since I'd really like to not be on Metformin due to the "offensive" side affect). I'll keep you posted. Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #917
Blabbermouth!!!

I got my A1C results. According to the results I am at 6.6

That really bothered me, because I think it should be lower. I test my blood sugar regularly and know that my numbers are not going high all the time. I do have elevated numbers in the morning and from time to time when I am upset, but that is about it. Would that be enough to push me to 6.6 when otherwise my daily numbers are not terrible. Not 100% normal yet, but within 90-120 pre/post meal.

Last time I experienced the same.
In April my results were like 8.something, which I argued with the lab about.

Why am I getting higher A1C results?
It doesn't match up.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #918
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
hi everyone, i have been trying to lower my bs as well...i am starting to think that too much protein is the problem for me....what kind of fiber do you guys recommend? when i have a yogurt in the morning w/granola, (sugar free) my numbers are better than when i don't..any suggestions? i am waking up w/numbers around 140, and around 5 pm i am at 100...thanks in advance! i take 500 mg metformin, before breakfast and dinner.
I don't take fiber. I just have the fiber in my plant foods. That seems to work. When I have carbs, I have protein with it and fat, and never alone.

My body reacts similar to yours. I wake up with dawn.p numbers and then after I have breakfast my numbers come back down. I can't eat granola, though. It has too many carbs. My body rejects it, even if it is unsweetened.

Have you tried having other low-carb breakfast items?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #919
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butternut View Post
Dr has told me to keep increasing bedtime Levemir until my fasting morning blood sugar numbers are under 100. I am also taking Novolog 10 units PLUS coverage before three meals.
I have cut down on portion size. Am eating lowcarb/more protein and veggies. Small amt lowcarb berries.
Always high in early morning!
Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Keep us updated.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #920
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlynn9 View Post
Not doing so well at getting those 4 servings per day of Glucaffect in. Yesterday was a no nutritional supplement at all day. So, I figure my high reading this morning is a good indication of without supplements and metformin (which I need to reorder). However, I have had serving 1 of Glucaffect and Classic this morning. Will have another after lunch, one when I get home, and one before bed. This is the routine I need to establish. I'm also back into the "no fruits" (my big downfall). So, going to give the supplementing without Metformin 1 week and see what happens (since I'd really like to not be on Metformin due to the "offensive" side affect). I'll keep you posted. Sheryl
How is it going Sherlynn?
Did you see positive results by supplementing and going without your metformin for that week?

How much fat are you having? I found that my GI issues were linked to the number of fat grams I was consuming. Once I lowered it, the issue went away.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 AM   #921
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 30something
Stats: 188-150-140 surpassed goal x1 and now 10 lbs over
WOE: Diabetic Meal Plan (4-5 sm balanced low-mod carbs)
Start Date: Restart: September 2005
My A1C has been 5.3 for the 12 months, I eat a balanced mod carb approx 100 carb gms. day in 4-5 small balanced meals per day each meal is approx. 21 carb gms, 22 protein gms, 9 fat gms per meal. I never have a carb that isn't balanced by fat and protein.

I take Metformin ER 1000 mg at dinner time, tried taking it at bed time to control bp but it did'nt make a difference in dp and its just easier to remember at dinner time. On rare occasions, If I over do carbs with a meal such as eat too many tortilla chips/crackers at a party or have too carby meal at friends or restaurant, or get real coke instead of diet coke at a bar (I have switched to straight tequila as this gets too upsetting and happens to frequent, I instruct wait staff I am diabetic and will fall out if I do not get diet coke),in these cases, I have to take a extra 500 mg or bg will skyrocket. My 2 hr. post readings are under 120-130.

My dawn phen. rears its ugly head now and then. I hate the lack of control.....guess I am a control freak, like cause and effect that makes sense, dp doesn't make sens.

I don't understand it, as long as my A1C is so great, I have stopped testing in the morning as I just would stress out as stress also raises dp.

When I have dp, my morning bg (110-120) would raise if I didn't sleep well, after a shower or any exercise in the morning.

Dr. is aware and is not concerned b/c of great A1C reading. During the rest of the day my bgs are 80-90 before meals, and 120 two hrs. post meal.

YMMV but this works for me at this time in my journey and it is a journey.

Denise
30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #922
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Hi everybody. Wish we had a more active diabetes thread here but thought I'd check in. On day 12 of Metformin - upped it to 500mgsr in am and pm now. So far little effect. Wish I'd see a little weight loss or BGL improvement. Still having dawn p with fastings up to 130's and exercise sends my Levels up at least 30 points - never lowers it. Eating <10 carbs a day and still having spikes to 150's after meals that take hours to slowly come down. Finding this all very frustrating! Certainly not an exact science!

So should I increase my met to 1500mg sr next week? I don't want to go any higher than that. Any tips? This week I'm trying to watch protein and see if that helps. I take insulow and EPO as reccomended by Dr Burnstein but so far no changes. Maybe I'm too impatient or maybe I'm going to need a different med to get levels down. Dr says I'm more insulin deficient than resistant but hoped the met would rest my beta cells a bit.

OK. That's my story this week. Hope everybody is doing well. We will find the way to live healthfully with this diabetes devil!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #923
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CookinsForMe
Stats: 188.8/162/140
WOE: Lower carb, moderate fat, & walking
Start Date: 6/24/09 for the umpteenth time.
MY BG has been rockin' good (most of the time) since starting my work outs on June 24th. I still have times when it's too high or too low but they're fewer and farther between now and the highs aren't nearly as high! I go to the Dr tomorrow for a followup and A1c. Say a prayer for me!

Denise
CookinsForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #924
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Georgia Lee
Hi, I'm new to this thread and fairly new to diabetes. Trying to wrap my head around all this has been confusing to say the least!

I just picked up a book last week and started the diet 7 days ago. Metabolism Miracle. So far I'm feeling great and losing weight.

Has anyone heard of this book/diet? If so, how is it working for you and do you have any thoughts on it?

Thanks,
Georgia Lee
Georgia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #925
Blabbermouth!!!

Denise - It seems like your body can tolerate carbs. Have you tried having a carb snack prior to bed? I found that eating carbs late at night helped lower my morning dawn/phen numbers.

Shunsweets - You have to be patient. Your numbers are not going to be normal overnight and metformin takes time to kick in. Give it a few weeks. Just continue to do what you're doing. You're doing great so far.

GeorgiaLee - I don't follow the Metabolism Miracle, but if you go to the "OTHER" section of this board, you will find an on going thread for people who follow that plan. You might also want to checkout bs101.com
Lots of great info there regarding diabetes and how to control it and such.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:38 AM   #926
Senior LCF Member

Hi NurseMonkee,

I ventured over to the MM board and saw you over there!
And thanks for the Blood Sugar 101 website! Tons of great information there.

Thanks again!
Georgia Lee
Old 07-31-2009, 07:14 AM   #927
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CookinsForMe
Stats: 188.8/162/140
WOE: Lower carb, moderate fat, & walking
Start Date: 6/24/09 for the umpteenth time.
So far so good this week. Dr. appt Wednesday went okay, not great but okay!
CookinsForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #928
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
hi nursemonkee, thanks for the input...we are very much alike, in april my ac1 number was 8.something also....you know what is funny (well, not really), when i go a little bit off plan my numbers are more within normal ranges than not...it has to be too much protein when i am on atkins.... i must have to balance my protein/fiber better..good luck to you, i know it can be frustrating....and for me, i know i have to loose around 60 more pounds, which i just can't get around to doing 100 percent....i must be nuts or something...i stay good for three days and then bamm!, it's a train wreck...ack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by That Girl; 07-31-2009 at 04:21 PM..
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:29 AM   #929
Senior LCF Member

Just wanted to peek in and say hi. I've been surfing thru this thread and finding a ton of good information!

I've been told I'm pre-diabetic. No meds yet. My AM fasting number averages 150-170.

I have lost a few lbs the past month and my AM fasting numbers are coming down to 135-145. Still high, but at least coming down.

Last night around midnight I ate a spoonful of natural peanut butter and my fasting test came in at 137.

I have been on the Metabolism Miracle diet the last 3 weeks. This has made a huge impact on my BS and overall I feel great.

Look forward to learning more from you guys!

Last edited by Georgia Lee; 08-05-2009 at 06:31 AM..
Old 08-05-2009, 06:36 AM   #930
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My early morning bs (fasting has been between 140-165) and then, I guess as the metformin kicks in, it is like 100-120 thru the day.

I am switching doctors and go on Aug 11 for blood work so I guess we shall see!