Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 06:01 AM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: missncarbs
Hi everyone! Another newb here.

I'm Tamara (35) and I was diagnosed with T2 on 3-31-06. My A1C was 16.8 at diagnosis. Thank goodness my doctor decided to let me try to get control with oral meds and diet/exercise. I firmly believe that if he'd started me out on insulin I'd be on it still.

I've lost 68 lbs over the past year, and my weight loss has stalled a bit, but my clothes fit better. Most days, I feel better than I have in years. He's taken me off most of my medicine. I'm still on Metformin-1000 mg twice daily, but am hoping to continue to drop some meds. When I had my second A1C done, I was thrilled. I went from 16.8 in March, to 5.1 in late August. I'm also coming up on a very important 'anniversary'. I'll be smoke free for one year on 11-13.

I'm hoping since I found this site that I can join in with the challenges and discussions and help keep myself motivated to do my best everyday. I don't want to have to deal with any complications, if I can help it.

I really need to keep myself motivated. I've been slacking when it comes to exercise lately, and I know that exercise is one of the keys to getting off my meds. Can't control my diabetes without diet alone-exercise is a must.
missncarbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6-14-03
wow!!!! you are doing fabulous.
dreamerdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:28 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathie in UT
Stats: No more scale or weighing! 5'4.5"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restarted 7/06 and again 10-2011
Hello everyone
Looks like the discussion has been sparse on this board lately just like many others...I guess come Jan they will all pickup.
I read through the posts and did read the links suggested on the thread and have found things interesting. One veg that I had been eating lately was winter squash and find that according to the Dr that it is a No-No veggie. I had been so happy finding somthing that tasted so good and could be a low carb veggie as well...oh well I guess I will save it for something special. I wonder how it would rate next to sweet potatos?
One thing that I wondered about is that in understanding diabetes I had found that T2 is NOT just caused by one thing...lack of insulin production but it could be lack of ablility to "use" the insulin as well. So a person who tests diabetic could be because she doesn't produce insulin or her body chemistry can't use the insulin to deal with the carbs correctly. I think that is why there are different meds for diabetics...if you don't produce insulin you might need med "A" and if you do produce but aren't able to use it then you might need med "B" and sometimes a combo of those as well.
Just wondering if the suggestions to get off of meds such as Amryl isn't unrealistic if by diet alone you can't control your bs levels because of what your body needs.
I hope this is clear and would like some feedback please

Found out that sizes aren't all equal working on my other 16's NOW Zipped and buttoned with much less muffin top and I can wear them in public
Cathie in UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:03 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Hi Cathie,

You are exactly right about type 2 diabetes. Some with type 2 still produce lots of insulin, but the body's cells are "resistant" to using it to utilize the sugar in the blood, thus the high blood sugar levels. The meds like metformin help the cells to accept the key that insulin is.

Type 1 diabetics don't produce any insulin and always need to take it. Some type 2 diabetics will get to the point where they are producing little or no insulin, and they will also need to take insulin then. Some meds can force the pancreas to put out more, but eventually the pancreas can sort of give out. There is a medication that I am taking that they think helps protect the insulin producing cells in the pancreas, but it is still early to know the long term effects.

Having your monitor you can check how various foods affect your blood sugar. It is not the same for everyone. I personally find that canteloupe sends my numbers up. Sometimes if you eat whatever food is tending to raise your sugar levels along with something that has more protein and fat, it will blunt the tendency of it to raise the levels.

After doing Atkins for a while I found my tastes changed significantly, and I was no longer looking for substitutes for my old foods like potatoes and bread. I tried, and really liked, more vegetables than I ever could have imagined. I was a veggie hater going way back!

Exercise can also effect your blood sugar levels immediately and over a longer term. Sometimes right after exercising mine can be higher, it sounds crazy, but the liver releases some of its stored back up glucose to fuel the exercise, but later and on, and on an ongoing basis, exercising lowers the levels, and it helps make the cells more receptive to insulin.

Like anything else going wrong in the body, diabetes has led me to learn more than I ever wanted to know about this stuff <g>

Last edited by dreamerdee; 11-11-2006 at 07:09 AM..
Old 11-12-2006, 03:21 AM   #65
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: MANHATTAN NYC - click on ''MAMZELLE" directly below for more photos.
Gallery: MAMZELLE
Stats: LIFETIME MANTENANCE
WOE: ATKINS "ORIGINAL" DIET - why tamper with success!!
Start Date: as Patient when the Maestro's FIRST book came out
missncarbs, that's all fantastic, congratulations! But how did you stop smoking? I"m struggling and can't see quitting completely, I'm not good at cold turkey and have too many problems. Allen Carr's book brought me down to only half but can't go further.... how did you do it!

dreamerdee...... i'm sure you must know this, but in case you don't.... cauliflower is a great potato substitute, mashed with oodles of butter [if doing low carbs] and onion powder both of which are enough..... but can do any additional seasonings you want, and they can either be mashed to DEATH like potatoes, or left lumpy [which I prefer] but the flavor is even better. Potatoes have NO flavor in their own, so i consider this an improvement on them and certainly healthier too.

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 11-12-2006 at 03:34 AM..
MAMZELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imani
WOE: EFGT, Metabolism miracle
Start Date: Oct 9, 2009
ype two diabetic...

was dxd 1996. In the year 2000, I went on Atkins and lost about 30 pounds. My blood sugars were completely normal without medication, only lc and light exercise. That was b4 all the lc products came out, so it was a modified 1972 all-natural version. I have been on and off for quite a while. It is time to start for real again. I am starting to experience mild complications. I want to get things under control b4 things go really wrong. I have added visualization and affirmations. it seems to be working much better....I am totally motivated!!!!

Last edited by imani; 11-12-2006 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: one day I will learn to type
imani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:58 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Dee thanks for the information and confirmation of what I have studied on my own. I am thinking I might have the Dr order the glucose test for me next time I see her in Dec. I am wondering if I indeed am not producing insulin or if it is that I am not using it correctly. Since the Amryl is doing it's job I guess I could assume that I don't produce enough insulin but that might not be the case.
I have been doing really well on my low carb lifestyle..although I will admit to missing breads and bread products...I just love real bread and I know that it just isn't going to be a part of my life on a regular basis any more. I will plan an indulgeance day for T'giving allowing myself some cornbread dressing as a treat and understand that it will probably cause me to "mess up" a bit for a few days but I do it with the right understanding. I don't mind substituting calulif for potatos...and pumpkin for sweet potatos but nothing will will replace cornbread and that is that! LOL I know I can do it and not release cravings so no one lecture please LOLOLOL Just kidding
Thank goodness smoking and drinking have never been a part of my life to have to quit....good luck to those who are struggling with the addictions.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #68
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Hi everyone - My Endo tells me I am pre-diabetic and had mentioned me seeing a Nutritionist. I decided I would try it on my own. I have been reading Dr. Bernstein's book thru the link provided by some of you posters. I thought Dr. Atkins was tough but Dr. Bernstein has him beat. Does anyone follow his rules of eating exactly by the book? Thanks.

Ann
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:41 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

HI Ann
No I don't follow the book but then again I didn't know about it until recently. I guess you have to use your own judgement on if it will work for you or not. I am able to control my bs with a LC diet and right now 1 gr of Amaryl a day which is 1/2 of a pill...I have gone from the highest dose of it plus two other meds to just that one and I would love to leave it behind but so far my numbers go up too high when I try.
It might be if you aren't doing a Low Carb lifestyle that you start by eliminating certain items from your diet like white breads, white rice and white potatos...if that is what you eat...then see how it affects your numbers.
Good luck with making some changes and congrats on your numbers and as a plus you look great!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Cathie.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TexasKitKat
Stats: 207/182/150
WOE: LC for Type 2 diabetes
Start Date: restart 1/19/14
I have enjoyed reading this thread. I am Type 2 since about 1990. I have a journal in the weight loss journals section of the board called "TexasKitKat's Get Healthy Journal" if anybody would like to read it.

I'd also like to know of any other journalers with diabetes. If any of you are, would you please post your journal name here so I can visit? Thanks!
TexasKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Sorry TexasKitkat
I don't keep a journal...I probably should but I am too lazy LOL I already spend enough time online as it is LOL
I have really been doing well on my CAD woe...I mostly have kept my meals nice and low carb and finally my stall is over after 4 weeks so I am showing weight loss again!
Your stats are close to mine right now how tall are you? Also not to sound dumb but what is Byetta?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Marva
Stats: 154/143/130
Start Date: 07/20/2002
This thread seems to have the people in the know, so I'll post my questions.

I just got results of a blood glucose test and my 12-hour fasting number is 114. Gulped the glucose and two hours later, it was 127. I see the first number puts me in the pre-diabetic area while the second falls into normal range from what I can find on-line.

The doc insists I'm pre-diabetic and suggested (get this) to cut back on sugar and carbs. Excuse me! I've been low-carbing for about three years now and rarely even taste real sugar. No white starches, etc. In other words, a good maintenance WOE. I have gained back from my low, but at my age I'm certainly within the 'ok' area at 143.

I'm wondering if my body has had so little sugar to process that it gave up on insulin production, therefore my fasting blood sugar is high from a maintenance carb level (no more than 50g daily). Is that an insane thought?

Any suggestions? I don't want to get diabetes, obviously, but do I have to go to no-carb? I'm not sure what to do.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

I don't think I can very well answer your questions Marva, but could share a few ideas. One is that our bodies, even in ketosis, do not end up with a too low level of sugar in the blood. It keeps an even steady level for the most part. So where does that come from?? Hopefully it is converting fat into some of it so we can burn it off! The body can also convert protein into sugar if it needs to do so. That can be some of the protein that you eat, or even the muscles of your body if need be.

Having the slightly high fasting number could be the result of what is known as "dawn phemonena" which is one way the body maintains enough energy via blood sugar. You have been fasting all night while you slept. But your liver stores a little extra glucose for when you blood sugar falls too low (I don't know how low that would have to be) and it will deliver that extra blood sugar even before you eat. It makes sense if you think about it. Before recent times, people might have to hunt or gather for their food, and would need that energy to be successful.

At the same time, you could be "pre-diabetic." It might be worthwhile to get a blood sugar monitor and see what your sugars are over a period of time. Your doctor can also order an A1c test for you, and it gives and indication of what your blood sugars have "averaged" over about the last 3 months. They can use that to see if you are running higher than you should be.

I think it is true that if you are not taking in much in the way of carbs you are probably not putting out much insulin. That I consider a very good thing. And unless something is wrong with your pancreas I don't think it would forget how to put out the insulin when you need it.

Even tho I am type 2 diabetic I still put out a lot of insulin very easily. Of course I am insulin resistant. One of those vicious circles, lol. I take medication that helps with the insulin resistance (metformin).

It will be interesting to see what others have to say.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #75
Big Yapper!!!!

Marva - My Endocrinologist told me I was also probably pre-diabetic with a fasting glucose of 110. I've been self testing it and it does seem to be higher of the Morning that most times. Generally in the middle of the day when I test it usually runs in the high 80's to low 90's.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Dreamerdee and Jonah's Granny: Thanks for the information. I was thinking about getting a gluose tester and was waffling (without syrup). The doc wants me to test again in six months. Maybe I can shed the five or so pounds by then that will put my bg back where it belongs. The 2-hours after the glucose level of 127 does not indicate pre-diabetes, so I wonder if the fasting level is a false positive in re Dreamer's post.

Mucho gracias, ladies.
Marva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:33 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Hi Marva,
If in any doubt, you could get a blood sugar monitor (prescription not required) and start testing yourself for a few days or weeks. If your fasting sugars are consistently over 100 then you may have pre-diabetes. It is a little disturbing to me that you could develop it low-carbing and not being very overweight.

I get my monitors very cheap on ebay, brand new, usually for around $15. Testing strips cost a little more, but hopefully you won't need them for very long. I like One Touch Ultra, and stay away from anything made by Abbott Labs--they will vary 20 or 30 points with the same bead of blood!!

I kinda think that everyone on low carb could benefit from a blood sugar monitor. I sure have learned a whole lot from mine.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #78
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
[COLOR="Purple"]Hi, Marva

You've gotten some good info from previous posters, and let me add this... If you have been low-carbing for an extended period of time, a glucose tolerance test may not give you accurate readings. Think about it--if you rarely ever have sugar, starches, CARBS, and then you sock your body full of it, your body might go a little crazy from it.

Okay, seriously though. Blood sugar monitors can be cheap and can be expensive. Look on eBay, on the internet, and even in your local Wal-Mart or pharmacy because many are either inexpensive to begin with or have a rebate that makes them real cheap.

I bought myself one that is very small and user-friendly (http://www.lifescan.com/). Check out the ultra-mini on that page; I paid less than $20 for mine, and it's very reliable. The strips are more than the testers, but hopefully one box wouldn't set you back too much and it'll help you find out what you need to know.

As Dee suggested, an A1c test gives you an overview of your sugar from the past 3 months and won't be just a one-time, in the moment test.

Eat normally for you, and over a few days or a couple of weeks, test yourself in the morning (fasting glucose) and 2 hours after you take the first bite of a meal. Keep a notebook and write your numbers down. A box of strips is 25, and that'd give you about 6 days of testing results...

I sometimes have "high" fasting glucose first thing, but if I've gone 12 hrs or more without food, or if I had a "carby" day of eating the day before, it always affects my numbers the next morning.

Anyway, hope this helps and doesn't muddy the waters... Good luck.

Karyn[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marva View Post
This thread seems to have the people in the know, so I'll post my questions.

I just got results of a blood glucose test and my 12-hour fasting number is 114. Gulped the glucose and two hours later, it was 127. I see the first number puts me in the pre-diabetic area while the second falls into normal range from what I can find on-line.

The doc insists I'm pre-diabetic and suggested (get this) to cut back on sugar and carbs. Excuse me! I've been low-carbing for about three years now and rarely even taste real sugar. No white starches, etc. In other words, a good maintenance WOE. I have gained back from my low, but at my age I'm certainly within the 'ok' area at 143.

I'm wondering if my body has had so little sugar to process that it gave up on insulin production, therefore my fasting blood sugar is high from a maintenance carb level (no more than 50g daily). Is that an insane thought?

Any suggestions? I don't want to get diabetes, obviously, but do I have to go to no-carb? I'm not sure what to do.
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

I guess I'll go shopping for one of those monitors. I'm assiduously avoiding ebay, so I'll check the discount places and see what they've got. Also, I'll continue reading info on-line. The problem is that every site that talks about pre-diabetes assumes you chow down on carbs, don't exercise, and are a lot overweight. Easy solution for those that fit the description. Kind of difficult for those of us who do not.

Thanks again to everybody for the info and ideas.
Marva
Old 01-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

If I might ask yet one more question. Would white wine tend to raise blood glucose levels longer than the 12 hour fasting period? It's my only 'cheat' since white wine is relatively low-carb, but it might be a culprit. I've gone back to using ****** to make sure I'm holding the line carb-wise. In general, I simply don't eat sugar, potatoes, rice, bread--the usual carby suspects.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #81
Are we there yet?

[COLOR="Purple"]I'm not much of a drinker, but in reading about diabetes and alcohol and low-carbing, I have read there are health benefits to drinking 1-2 glasses of wine a day, with red wine supposing to be the most beneficial. Alcohol is pretty low carb so I wouldn't think it would hurt your numbers, but I can't say with any authority at all. I take Metformin for type 2 diabetes, and in over a year's time I've only had a little champagne this past New Year's Eve.

Use your favorite search engine and do some reading on alcohol, pre-diabetes, and maybe even diabetes, and see if you can find some good, relevant information for your situation.

I fit your previously-mentioned statistics when I was diagnosed a year ago: very overweight, no exercise, and high intake of carbs. One link I didn't seem to have is a family history of diabetes... Could that be a possibility for you? Parents, siblings, etc. with diabetes?

Karyn[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marva View Post
If I might ask yet one more question. Would white wine tend to raise blood glucose levels longer than the 12 hour fasting period? It's my only 'cheat' since white wine is relatively low-carb, but it might be a culprit. I've gone back to using ****** to make sure I'm holding the line carb-wise. In general, I simply don't eat sugar, potatoes, rice, bread--the usual carby suspects.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

As Karyn mentioned above, the results of the glucose tolerance test may not be so accurate since you were a low carber for a while when you took it. I totally forgot about that. I was already diabetic when I started low carbing so I never had the gluc. tolerance test. I have seen several other people mention on other threads that you need to be taking in more carbs in the week or so before the test for it to be accurate. I think getting the A1c to see what you average blood sugar levels have been over the past couple months would be useful in seeing if there is any problem. I suspect that with how you have been eating you are probably just fine. It is exactly what you would need to start doing IF you were prediabetic, and you are already doing it.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

I'll quit taking up space here, but just wanted to say thanks to all those who responded with helpful advice. I think my doc is in wait-and-see mode. If, in six months, the glucose tests are up, then I'll probably get the A1c then. I just don't want those numbers up.

To answer Thief: My aunt is the only one in the family with diabetes. Both my parents and sibs are all fine. So, that's kind of a weak familial connection. Also, I don't think it's the wine, but only the amount I drink. I'm a compulsive kind of person, so I just have to cut it out entirely or I've downed three or four glasses instead of just one-two.

Carbo-loading before the glucose test? What a concept!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Doulton
Stats: 212/212/130
WOE: Atkins Diabetes Revolution & Dr. Bernstein's
Start Date: January, 2007
I just wanted to say hello. I read about this forum in a recent issue of PEOPLE magazine.

I was diagnosed with type 2 in September of 1999. I took 500 mg of glucophage for quite a few years and did well. The past year or two I have been out of control.

I am currently taking Glucophage (metformin) 1,500 mg/day
Levemir: 60 units day
Doulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:47 AM   #85
Are we there yet?

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Hi, Doulton

Sorry to hear you're not doing well in controlling your diabetes, that must be tough on your mind and body. Are you low-carbing, or perhaps considering low-carb to regain some control?

Karyn[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulton View Post
I just wanted to say hello. I read about this forum in a recent issue of PEOPLE magazine.

I was diagnosed with type 2 in September of 1999. I took 500 mg of glucophage for quite a few years and did well. The past year or two I have been out of control.

I am currently taking Glucophage (metformin) 1,500 mg/day
Levemir: 60 units day
Old 01-17-2007, 06:08 AM   #86
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Doulton
Stats: 212/212/130
WOE: Atkins Diabetes Revolution & Dr. Bernstein's
Start Date: January, 2007
[color=sienna]
Hi Karyn,
Thank you so much for responding. I am trying to low-carb, but perhaps need to be even more strict. One of the reasons I came to this board with a fear that the ADA regulations are not stringent enough for me. They may work for many.

Yesterday I know I was under 30 gms/carbs yet woke up with a reading of 143 this morning. Today I go off to the doctor's office again. They will almost certainly put me on byetta.

Karyn, your stats are marvelous and I want to thank you for your response to me. I really appreciat it.

Natalie [/color]

[color=INDIGO]GOALS:
130 pounds; maintain workouts
Ha1C >6.0
be kind; don't complain; stick to medication routine
[/color]
Doulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Natalie
I am so sorry you are struggling with your blood sugar numbers right now. There are several things that cause diabetes and things such as age and the lengh of your disease can affect how you react to meds and diet. I have been diabetic for about 10 years and about 7 of those out of control with my numbers but going with a low carb woe and still taking 1 g of Amryl has allowed me to maintain low bs numbers and have made my Dr very happy!
I also take cinnamon capsules now...two a day and that seems to help a bit as well. My numbers are very rarely above 100 and I will be taking a new A1c tests soon so I will see how the average has been but latley it was less than 5.
Maybe speak to your DR about trying something different as far as meds are concerned since they treat different causes of insulin problems such as lack of production, or resistance to insulin.
good luck in your journey to get your numbers under control
Old 01-18-2007, 01:49 AM   #88
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulton View Post
[color=sienna]
Hi Karyn,
Thank you so much for responding. I am trying to low-carb, but perhaps need to be even more strict. One of the reasons I came to this board with a fear that the ADA regulations are not stringent enough for me. They may work for many.

Yesterday I know I was under 30 gms/carbs yet woke up with a reading of 143 this morning. Today I go off to the doctor's office again. They will almost certainly put me on byetta.

Karyn, your stats are marvelous and I want to thank you for your response to me. I really appreciat it.

Natalie [/color]
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Hi, again Natalie

Thank you for your compliments! I, too, started out with the ADA and my dietician asked me for a current menu when I took my first diabetes class, and I was pleasantly surprised that she basically approved everything I was already eating, in similar amounts even, and the carb count she suggested was in the 138-160 grams range--and if you've been to a dietician or nutritionist yourself (anyone) I bet you came away with a similar "suggestion."

I knew on diagnosis that I needed to lose weight, and how do we lose weight correctly and not in a "fad"ish way? Why, we eat LOW FAT, right? Yep, I started out that way, and I actually did well, because it was a drastic reduction in fat & calories for me, so pretty much any "diet" would have worked...

What it did not do was get my blood sugar under control! I didn't get into a class right away, I simply plunged in and began dieting, and when I finally got educated and began testing my blood, I was not in as bad a place as I probably was before diagnosis, but as anyone with diabetes knows, the closer to "normal" the better. And if I was averaging 200 or more at fasting, imagine where I was 2 hours after some meals.

I was totally carb clueless... and had never really paid Atkins much mind because it was just one more fad diet to my ears.

However, it was when I stumbled upon LCF and began low carbing that things began to really fall into place for me.

Natalie, you're doing the right thing in getting back on-track! You're recognizing that what you've been doing isn't quite working, and though you can't quite jump in and hit your mark on day 1, you know what you can accomplish low carbing, so just aim and shoot!

I went induction-level carbs for a long time, until much of my weight dropped and my numbers started coming down, and it's only been in recent weeks that I've begun adding carbs in at 30-40 a day. (Not 30-40 at a time, meaning 30-40 a day versus keeping them at 20-25 and under... that's very strict!)

If I go too high on carbs, or the "wrong" carbs like flour, sugar, etc., my next day's fasting number is the first to show it... It may take your body a little to readjust itself, too, but you'll see results if you keep at it.

Please come here often, for learning and support. It's really been a godsend to me, and I don't know that I would've been as successful low carbing without these forums.

Yikes, I do run on! Take care, and hope to see you often, Natalie.

Karyn[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]Edited to add: I think part of my success also was in using Metformin, which has been shown to aid in appetite suppression and weight loss. It is my understanding that Byetta is also excellent for this, and if you can take it, it might help even more!

Cathie is right, sometimes it isn't just your diet, other things can factor in and change the way diabetes acts inside your body...
[/COLOR]

Last edited by Jewelthief; 01-18-2007 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: to add a final thought about byetta...
Old 01-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Hello ladies...

Hope someone can give me some information. I have been on Glucophage, 2000 mg pm for several years for PCOS and infertility. I haven't checked my blood sugar over the years, but recently my husband's twin found out he was diabetic, and so did my sister, so I got a meter and checked my husband and I. I thought my blood sugars in the morning would be way lower than my husband's due to the Glucophage, but they were very close and I'm worried. They range from 95-118 in the mornings about 7:00. What should a good blood sugar be in the mornings while on this high a dose of Glucophage? Any suggestions? Any supplements I could take to bring down the numbers? I've researched a bit and found out about cinnamon and ALA.
[img]3rd goal - get to Onederland by New Years Day!!
Make a lifestyle/eating change forever
Down 50 pounds after starting back July 5th
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Cinnamon and ALA (up to 600 mg/day) are great. My whole family just about is diabetic, and we all do well with those. In addition, there is Nature's Way Blood Sugar Control and one from geromatrix, and a great one called Insulife. There are also vitamin formulae like Well-betX that are for diabetics, and I have noticed they drop blood sugar some.

Just be really cautious with these, so you don't end up hypoglycemic, okay? Experiment in the daytime at first so you can monitor the effects and get a feel for them before taking at night. Just to give an example, sometimes one cinnamon pill can drop you 40-50 points. I do not take any meds at all, just low carb, herbs, and vitamins. I don't get hypoglycemic at all now, even when fasting.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote