Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #811
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NCgrl
Stats: 410/310/299
WOE: Diabetic 2/09
Start Date: restart 2/09
Why is it that one day my blood sugar is great and the next day it is crap?I eat the same things,do the same exercises,everythings the same but my blood sugar hit 150 today and my blood pressure is sky high.This is the most frustrating thing ever
NCgrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #812
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgrl View Post
Why is it that one day my blood sugar is great and the next day it is crap?I eat the same things,do the same exercises,everythings the same but my blood sugar hit 150 today and my blood pressure is sky high.This is the most frustrating thing ever
Tell me about it! I experience the same thing.
My numbers were being all crazy last week even w/similar meals & activity. It really gets discouraging sometimes when I am putting in the work and see negative results for no reason.

I know that it's frustrating, but hang in there.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #813
Blabbermouth!!!

Saw my doctor yesterday. I managed to squeeze myself in for an earlier appointment.
He put me on 500mg of metformin to start and said he will slowly increase my dosage as needed. I took my first pill last night (with food) and within an hour my stomach was rumbling. This morning I had (SORRY TMI) diarrhea. No stomach cramps, just all the noisy chaos in my belly.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #814
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgrl View Post

Hang in there and keep eating low carb and exercising and it will eventuallly give you better numbers, or that is what happened to me. My numbers were all over the place for the first 6 months or so, and I stayed on course and they are much better(lower) now.
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #815
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NCgrl
Stats: 410/310/299
WOE: Diabetic 2/09
Start Date: restart 2/09
Thanks guys,it's just I'm trying so hard and when you see that 148 after breakfast,you just want to scream.I never vary my breakfast so I don't understand.I've got to stick with it there's no other choice.
NCgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #816
Blabbermouth!!!

What am I doing wrong?

Last year I found out that I am diabetic and started Atkins. At first it worked great as the numbers continued to go down. I was able to reduce my numbers by more than half, but even that wasn't enough. My levels pre/post meal were in the 120-130 and my morning readings between 140-160, but mostly 140. Finally, last week I decided that I needed more help and agreed to go on metformin. I've had 5 doses so far and every time I've shown higher morning numbers. This doesn't make any sense to me. I am doing everything that I've always done, so why do I suddenly have higher morning numbers? It just seems like a big jump overnight.

I stay below 20g carbs per day.
I exercise at least 30 minutes.
I choose low-glycemic veggies
I don't over consume protein at each meal and overall
I don't drink coffee anymore or alcohol
I drink 64-100 oz of water per day
I take my vitamins (biotin, ginkgo biloba, multi-vitamin, l-carnitine, milk thistle, cinnamon, probiotic)

These have been my morning readings after starting metformin:
04/10 -- 1st 500mg dose of metformin w/dinner
04/11 -- 149 (morning after 1st metformin dose)
04/12 -- 181 (morning after 2st metformin dose)
04/13 -- 173 (morning after 3nd metformin dose)
04/14 -- 178 (morning after 4rd metformin dose)
04/15 -- 181 (morning after 5th metformin dose)

Old 04-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #817
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrianSCohen
Stats: 205/206/210
WOE: Modified Berstein 30-50g/day
Start Date: August 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMonkee View Post
What am I doing wrong?

Last year I found out that I am diabetic and started Atkins. At first it worked great as the numbers continued to go down. I was able to reduce my numbers by more than half, but even that wasn't enough. My levels pre/post meal were in the 120-130 and my morning readings between 140-160, but mostly 140. Finally, last week I decided that I needed more help and agreed to go on metformin. I've had 5 doses so far and every time I've shown higher morning numbers. This doesn't make any sense to me. I am doing everything that I've always done, so why do I suddenly have higher morning numbers? It just seems like a big jump overnight.

I stay below 20g carbs per day.
I exercise at least 30 minutes.
I choose low-glycemic veggies
I don't over consume protein at each meal and overall
I don't drink coffee anymore or alcohol
I drink 64-100 oz of water per day
I take my vitamins (biotin, ginkgo biloba, multi-vitamin, l-carnitine, milk thistle, cinnamon, probiotic)

These have been my morning readings after starting metformin:
04/10 -- 1st 500mg dose of metformin w/dinner
04/11 -- 149 (morning after 1st metformin dose)
04/12 -- 181 (morning after 2st metformin dose)
04/13 -- 173 (morning after 3nd metformin dose)
04/14 -- 178 (morning after 4rd metformin dose)
04/15 -- 181 (morning after 5th metformin dose)

Stop. Take a deep breath. Repeat after me. "Metformin takes 6-8 weeks to reach effectiveness." See, the first five days are totally meaningless. And remember, a minimum effective dose of metformin is 1000 mg to 1500 mg. Many doctors start you off with 500 mg to get you used to it. It may do nothing for you at that level.

Give it some some time. It will be ok.
BrianSCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #818
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Small_1
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Feb 2009
Hello everyone!

I have managed to keep my bgl to 110 or below since I have been eliminating any and all foods which cause a reaction.

Extreme? Yes!

Worth it? Yes!

I've never eaten a lot of sweets anyway. I've always hated the taste of any foods which have to be seasoned to death in order to make them edible so not a problem for me. What is greater is that type 1 diabetes will not will, not if I can help it!

Even better news is that I AM gaining the weight back. It's a win-win!

Just curious Brian, have you ever read this article, The Cure for Diabetes by Adam Campbell?

I printed it out for my records as I found it very interesting. I am now trying the Dr. Mary Vernon method, except I have eliminated all plant matter/splenda/sweeteners from my diet for now anyway.

The Cure For Diabetes - Men's Health

Be Blessed, Y'all!
Paula
Old 04-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #819
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSCohen View Post
Stop. Take a deep breath. Repeat after me. "Metformin takes 6-8 weeks to reach effectiveness." See, the first five days are totally meaningless. And remember, a minimum effective dose of metformin is 1000 mg to 1500 mg. Many doctors start you off with 500 mg to get you used to it. It may do nothing for you at that level.

Give it some some time. It will be ok.
Thanks, Brian.
I know that it will take time for the medication to work, but it just surprised me to suddenly see a jump in my morning numbers. Going from 140 to 180 is a big jump. Something had to trigger that. I don't think that it happens just because. I think that is what I am most bothered by. I don't expect miracles, but I also don't expect my morning numbers to be getting worse for no apparant reason.

I guess I'll be patient.
I am only on 500mg of metformin right now, but am supposed to increase to 1,000 after 2 weeks and then 1,500. My doctor thinks 1,500 is best since I also have PCOS.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:07 AM   #820
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small_1 View Post

Even better news is that I AM gaining the weight back. It's a win-win!

Just curious Brian, have you ever read this article, The Cure for Diabetes by Adam Campbell?

I printed it out for my records as I found it very interesting. I am now trying the Dr. Mary Vernon method, except I have eliminated all plant matter/splenda/sweeteners from my diet for now anyway.

The Cure For Diabetes - Men's Health

Be Blessed, Y'all!
Paula
I'm glad the weight is coming back. I have read the article you mentioned, and it is particularly thoughtful and well written. This article which came out more than a year ago has been widely cited on the internet/boards and it really stands out. Good eye. I certainly would recommend it to everyone.

Quote:
Thanks, Brian.
I know that it will take time for the medication to work, but it just surprised me to suddenly see a jump in my morning numbers. Going from 140 to 180 is a big jump. Something had to trigger that. I don't think that it happens just because. I think that is what I am most bothered by. I don't expect miracles, but I also don't expect my morning numbers to be getting worse for no apparant reason.

I guess I'll be patient.
I am only on 500mg of metformin right now, but am supposed to increase to 1,000 after 2 weeks and then 1,500. My doctor thinks 1,500 is best since I also have PCOS.
I know you are eager to get everything straightened out and to get your blood sugars down to levels that are safe. It will come. You levels will vary and can be affected by lots of things, spring pollen, TOM, stress. You are on track. You just need to remember, you are in this for the long term and in the long term you will get this sorted out.

Last edited by BrianSCohen; 04-17-2009 at 05:09 AM..
Old 04-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #821
Blabbermouth!!!

Morning reading was 166. Higher than usual, but lower when compared to my spiked morning readings the last few days. My GI issues from Metformin also seem to have gone away.

I feel better.
Things are moving along.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:30 AM   #822
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Morning reading was 166. Higher than usual, but lower when compared to my spiked morning readings the last few days. My GI issues from Metformin also seem to have gone away.

I feel better.
Things are moving along.

Thanks for all the help.
That is good news. Over time, you will have ups and downs. Like the scale, look for trends and don't fret over any one particular value.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:14 AM   #823
Blabbermouth!!!

Interesting findings…

Went to a concert and ended up getting the munchies late at night. Before getting home, I had two tacos worth roughly 20-25 net carbs. This morning I tested and the meter is showing a reading of 128!

This is my lowest morning reading since July 2008.
I always get higher (dawn phen) numbers in the morning.

I want to say that my lower morning number today is because I started metformin last week, but I do not think it is. I have had a few similar occasions in the past (prior to meds) and have generated similar morning results. I always thought it was a coincidence, but now I wonder if there is something to it.

Could eating carbs right before bed actually help with dawn phenomenon?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #824
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txtapper
WOE: Low Carb High Fat (Rosedale)
I don't know nursemonkey. I've heard from other people that eating carbs right before bed helps with DP but it doesn't work for me. Maybe I didn't eat enough. I'm pretty paranoid about carbs and somewhat of a fanatic even when I'm eating out although I do cheat..........by my own standards.
txtapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #825
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
i just said to my sisters, when i had something carby at night, or cheated, my numbers were better in the morning...what the heck? when i am really strict, i am averaging (sp?)
130 in the morning. when i go off plan i get numbers in the 105's...any thoughts?
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #826
Blabbermouth!!!

I tried it again.
I had carbs at night and sure enough in the morning my reading was 128, again. That is LOW for me.

Interesting.

Throughout the day I can't eat carbs without my numbers shooting up, but at night, before bed, it's totally different. My numbers go DOWN. I wonder why that is?

I would keep eating carbs at night, but it knocks me out of ketosis and I don't see a weight loss. I am actually showing a gain after 2 days of eating carbs at night.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:46 AM   #827
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I tried it again.
I had carbs at night and sure enough in the morning my reading was 128, again. That is LOW for me.

Interesting.

Throughout the day I can't eat carbs without my numbers shooting up, but at night, before bed, it's totally different. My numbers go DOWN. I wonder why that is?

I would keep eating carbs at night, but it knocks me out of ketosis and I don't see a weight loss. I am actually showing a gain after 2 days of eating carbs at night.
Some people find that eating a late night snack of various forms helps. Some have had luck with protein or protein with fat, or as you have found just some carbs.

Perhaps eating carbs keeps your insulin levels up throughout the night and that suppresses the DP. Perhaps you had been going low at night (Somogyi effect) and your body was overreacting, and the carbs suppressed this. Perhaps it was just the aliens have take a break and we may never know.

If you find something that works, don't knock it, just enjoy it.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #828
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ardawn
WOE: gluten free,low carb,whole foods
Start Date: Gluten Free,Sugar Free as of Aug.2009
I am fairly new to diabetes. (not formally diagnosed with full blown,but suspect I have it) I have been borderline type 2 for several years. I have tried to control it with a lc woe,but I can't seem to stay lc for long.
Anywho,for the last several weeks,I have not felt well.: dizzy,queasy,severe headaches,blurry vision,thirsty etc.... I began testing my BG again a few days ago. Morning fasting readings aren't bad at 105-126. Today however,I tested about an hour or so after eating beacuse I had symptoms and it was 269! So,I washed hands and tested again and got 264. I tested again an hour after that,and BG was 133.
Obvisously I have an issue. The problem is that I have been tested before by Doc and keep being told that I am only boderline. I was put on Metformin sustained release for several months,but it made me feel horrible.

I have had the blurry vision,fatigue etc... off and on for the last two years. I do not think I am just borderline anymore. I am making an appointment first thing in the morning with an edriconologist so I can get to the bottom of this ASAP. But,I was wondering if you all thought that this is something that I can overcome with diet/exercise alone? Any advice on what I should ask/tell the doctor? TIA!!!
ardawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #829
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardawn View Post
I am fairly new to diabetes. (not formally diagnosed with full blown,but suspect I have it) I have been borderline type 2 for several years. I have tried to control it with a lc woe,but I can't seem to stay lc for long.
Anywho,for the last several weeks,I have not felt well.: dizzy,queasy,severe headaches,blurry vision,thirsty etc.... I began testing my BG again a few days ago. Morning fasting readings aren't bad at 105-126. Today however,I tested about an hour or so after eating beacuse I had symptoms and it was 269! So,I washed hands and tested again and got 264. I tested again an hour after that,and BG was 133.
Obvisously I have an issue. The problem is that I have been tested before by Doc and keep being told that I am only boderline. I was put on Metformin sustained release for several months,but it made me feel horrible.

I have had the blurry vision,fatigue etc... off and on for the last two years. I do not think I am just borderline anymore. I am making an appointment first thing in the morning with an edriconologist so I can get to the bottom of this ASAP. But,I was wondering if you all thought that this is something that I can overcome with diet/exercise alone? Any advice on what I should ask/tell the doctor? TIA!!!
The symptoms you describe are classic diabetes symptoms, but who knows. You will likely get a test called HbA1c which will give you an idea of your average bloood sugar. If it is high, that will be an indication of how pronounced your diabetes has become. Based on that, you can figure out what actions to take. Some people find that diet and exercise does work.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #830
Blabbermouth!!!

Update:

I stopped eating carbs at night. My experiment is over.
Eating carbs did help bring down my morning numbers A LOT, but it also came with a nasty little side effect. I started to crave way too many things and felt all desperate for carbs again. I have since stopped and am back to very low carb.

My morning numbers are back to the low 140's, but that is OK. At least the crazy sudden 180's are finally gone!

Re: Metformin
I am now on the full 1,500 dosage and am hoping that I finally start to see some changes. I have noticed that my 2-hour post readings have gotten a bit lower. My lowest was 110.

My only complain about metformin is that it's killing my stomach. Some days everything is great. No side effects. But then other days the GI distress kicks in and it feels so aggressive. What I've noticed is that I have the worse GI distress when I eat high fat.

So now, my issue is....

Do I wait and see if my body adjusts to the meds on its own (its been a little under 1 month)

OR

Do I start to lower my fat intake?
Right now I consume roughly 5% carbs, and 60-70% fat.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #831
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ardawn
WOE: gluten free,low carb,whole foods
Start Date: Gluten Free,Sugar Free as of Aug.2009
The symptoms you describe are classic diabetes symptoms, but who knows. You will likely get a test called HbA1c which will give you an idea of your average bloood sugar. If it is high, that will be an indication of how pronounced your diabetes has become. Based on that, you can figure out what actions to take. Some people find that diet and exercise does work.
04-26-2009 01:20 PM

Thanks again,Brian. I am going to get aggressive with diet and exercise. I just feel that based on my symptoms and numbers,I should get it put on record.The constant blurry vision is frightening me!

I wanted to see an endriconologist right away,but he requires a referral from my PCP. So I am set up to see him Thursday morning. I am sure that he will put me back on the Met. Perhaps a lower dosage will yield satisfactory results since I am combining it with diet and exercise. I did not have the severe gastric side effects while taking the lower dosages.

I will keep you posted. Thanks again so much for your insight and support!

Dawn
ardawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #832
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Update:

I stopped eating carbs at night. My experiment is over.
Eating carbs did help bring down my morning numbers A LOT, but it also came with a nasty little side effect. I started to crave way too many things and felt all desperate for carbs again. I have since stopped and am back to very low carb.

My morning numbers are back to the low 140's, but that is OK. At least the crazy sudden 180's are finally gone!

Re: Metformin
I am now on the full 1,500 dosage and am hoping that I finally start to see some changes. I have noticed that my 2-hour post readings have gotten a bit lower. My lowest was 110.

My only complain about metformin is that it's killing my stomach. Some days everything is great. No side effects. But then other days the GI distress kicks in and it feels so aggressive. What I've noticed is that I have the worse GI distress when I eat high fat.

So now, my issue is....

Do I wait and see if my body adjusts to the meds on its own (its been a little under 1 month)

OR

Do I start to lower my fat intake?
Right now I consume roughly 5% carbs, and 60-70% fat.

Any thoughts?
Many people find that they adjust to metformin over time. I always felt that metformin gave me distress with carbs. Maybe for you, it is fat. Why don't you try taking your dose without fat and see if that helps. Some people find that getting it all in at once in a good window helps, or you could spread it out over the day, ie. morning and evening. What may help is if you keep a diet journal and write down what you eat and how you react. If you can adjust to metformin it can be very helpful to you.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #833
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardawn View Post
Thanks again,Brian. I am going to get aggressive with diet and exercise. I just feel that based on my symptoms and numbers,I should get it put on record.The constant blurry vision is frightening me!

I wanted to see an endriconologist right away,but he requires a referral from my PCP. So I am set up to see him Thursday morning. I am sure that he will put me back on the Met. Perhaps a lower dosage will yield satisfactory results since I am combining it with diet and exercise. I did not have the severe gastric side effects while taking the lower dosages.

I will keep you posted. Thanks again so much for your insight and support!

Dawn
You know, there are relatively very few endos for the huge number of diabetics. It will be good to see an endo, but you can get good basic advice and prescriptions from your PCP. Be patient with your eyesight. Changes in your blood sugar definitely affect your eyesight, but they should clear after a few weeks. It will be ok.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #834
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Many people find that they adjust to metformin over time. I always felt that metformin gave me distress with carbs. Maybe for you, it is fat. Why don't you try taking your dose without fat and see if that helps. Some people find that getting it all in at once in a good window helps, or you could spread it out over the day, ie. morning and evening. What may help is if you keep a diet journal and write down what you eat and how you react. If you can adjust to metformin it can be very helpful to you.

I tried reducing the fat and it COMPLETELY made a huge difference. I am still using fat, but not as much as before. My GI distress is gone, for now. Lets hope it stays away!

Right now I take my metformin in the morning and at night with meals as per my doctor. Would it be safe to take all 1,500 at the same time? For example, at dinner? I am not on the extended release, they are just the regular ones.

I am just trying to find a way to be able to have fat w/out getting GI distress. On a low-carb diet I need fat, otherwise I will be hungry all the time.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #835
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Small_1
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Feb 2009
NurseMonkee,

I am eating only:

~ fatty red meat (pork and chicken cause me to bloat and gut pain for hours, which in turn raises my blood sugar level),

~ eggs (mostly fried with a runny yolks, it's fried in coconut oil or 100% homemade lard that I get at the meat farm) and

~ 100% whole fat red rind cheddar cheese.

I am drinking lots of water.

I do drink coffee in the morning and in the evening with one/two necta sweet tablet(s).
Because necta sweet contains sodium bicarb which is good for candida overgrowth.

I still occasionally drink diet mountain dew.

I know that Dr. Bernstein recommends that persons with type 2 diabetes wait for 3 hours and type 1 diabetes wait for 5 hours before eating another meal/snack, however, that doesn't work for me.

I eat toddler sized portions several times a day/whenever I am hungry. I keep a glad container in my refrigerator with cubed cheese and cooked fatty meat, whenever I am hungry I just pull it out and eat a few bites. It doesn't require heating, fatty meat is very good cold. Ask your grandma. LOL

That's it!

My blood sugars morning-noon and night have been between 90-105mg/dl.

But last week I received a call saying Father in-law was on his way from Indiana. Instantly my blood sugar shot up to 133mg/dl.
No matter how much insulin I took or how little/much I ate my blood sugar was between 120-135mg/dl.

Once he left. I still had to deal with some very stressful events. By Wednesday my blood sugar levels were back at the 90-105mg/dl mark.

I had to have dental surgery on Wednesday.

Normally I walk in the dentist office at 105mg/dl (which is exactly what happened) and normally I walk out and check my bgl before driving it's always 124-126mg/dl.

Not this week, I keep repeating a calming phrase and was surprised by my low blood sugar level before leaving.

Also I noticed last night that I ate pulled pork (unseasoned boston butt cooked in my crock-pot). I became bloated (allergic reaction???) and my blood sugar level went up to 133mg/dl and just hung there.

Before bed (hours after eating) and it was 132mg/dl.

I woke up this morning with a reading of 107mg/dl. Not that bad, but not in my target area either.

I am a work in progress...so I am living and learning what causes "allergic" reactions which causes me to bloat and raises my blood sugar levels.

Looking back in my journal I realized the same thing happened a few weeks ago when I ate grilled (unseasoned) pork chops.

I thought at that time it was the pork fat.

I eat no plant matter at all. No nuts. No veggies. No fruits. If it grows from the soil, I don't eat it. Not yet anyway, until I can get this thing figured out.

Anyway...

Now I know...

Fat lowers my blood sugar level.
Protein will raise it slightly.
Carbs are a killer for me. Again with the allergic reaction...bloating, higher blood sugar levels, which causes me to stress and no amount of insulin will bring it down again.

In order to get more fat in, I was frying fatback which I get at wal-mart (delish by the way), adding coconut oil/butter in my coffee, and dipping my meats in melted butter.

But I noticed that the more fat I added the more weight I was losing...not good!!!

So I cut all that extra fat, and eat (mostly) fatty ribeyes, fatty chuck roast...any fatty red meat will do. So Yumm-i-l-ious!!!

I've gone from a near vegetarian to a hard-core carnivore. LOL And I love it!!!

By the way, I am only taking 5 units of Lantus insulin injections in the morning around 9:30 -10:00.

I was dx type 1 diabetic on Oct. 24, 2008.

Also dx with hypothyroidism same date and take 75 mcg Levoxyl in the morning for that.

Good luck in your journey.

Paula

Last edited by Small_1; 05-01-2009 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: wanted to add something I forgot
Small_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #836
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Paula.

Stress raises my numbers, too.

Fat has helped bring down my numbers, but I think it's mainly because I lower my carbs at the same time. I am not anti-fat in anyway and in general consume a good chunk of my calories from fat, but I am not big on fatty meats. I am more of an adder. I add olive oil to my foods a lot, either drizzled or in homemade salad dressings. I add it to my deviled eggs too. I do half mayo, half olive oil.

My only real complain about fat right now is just that it brings out my GI distress when I take my metformin. If I cut back on fat during meals where I take the meds, the GI distress vanishes, otherwise it returns.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #837
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 30something
Stats: 188-150-140 surpassed goal x1 and now 10 lbs over
WOE: Diabetic Meal Plan (4-5 sm balanced low-mod carbs)
Start Date: Restart: September 2005
Metformin ER 1000 mg works for me, I am lucky and have never had GI upset with Meformin.

I keep my carbs at 22 carb gms/9 fat gms and 22 protein gms per meal x 5. Works for me. Once I switched to 3 meals, I didn't lose any wt. going to increease to 5 meals.

Denise
30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #838
Blabbermouth!!!

I've been on metformin for a month now, and am now on the full 1,500 dosage. The last few days I've noticed that my numbers are dropping. Normally I would be really happy, but since I am getting nasty headaches, and I've NEVER been under 100, I am a little concerned. I am starting to feel hypo. Am I going down naturally? or is it dropping too much, too soon?

TODAY:

140 when I woke up

Had a taco salad for lunch.

118 (2 hours after lunch)

4 hours after lunch my head was pounding. Elevated heartrate.
I checked my blood sugar and it was 96 (4 hours after lunch)

Made myself a snack of 1/2 cup of fage yogurt with 2T. flaxmeal, 1T. unsalted butter, 1tsp. cinnamon and stevia.

Two hours later, I checked again and I was now down to 91

My headache died down a little, but it's still there. It feels like a really nasty migraine.

This has been my pattern every other day.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #839
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I've been on metformin for a month now, and am now on the full 1,500 dosage. The last few days I've noticed that my numbers are dropping. Normally I would be really happy, but since I am getting nasty headaches, and I've NEVER been under 100, I am a little concerned. I am starting to feel hypo. Am I going down naturally? or is it dropping too much, too soon?

TODAY:

140 when I woke up

Had a taco salad for lunch.

118 (2 hours after lunch)

4 hours after lunch my head was pounding. Elevated heartrate.
I checked my blood sugar and it was 96 (4 hours after lunch)

Made myself a snack of 1/2 cup of fage yogurt with 2T. flaxmeal, 1T. unsalted butter, 1tsp. cinnamon and stevia.

Two hours later, I checked again and I was now down to 91

My headache died down a little, but it's still there. It feels like a really nasty migraine.

This has been my pattern every other day.
If you were here, I would pat you on the back. I am proud of you. I know that you are feeling ill, but you are really making progress. Your dropping blood sugar won't do you any harm. Remember, if you have been having high blood sugars, your body will adjust and it will feel "normal," even if it is really high. As you get your blood sugar numbers down to truly normal, you may feel hypoglycemic, but you really are not. The symptoms you describe are consistent with hypoglycemia. Here are some of the symptoms:

nervousness,
sweating,
intense hunger,
trembling,
weakness,
palpitations

Let me assure you that these feelings should pass and, within the week, your body should adjust to the new blood sugar levels. In the meantime, let me give you a trick that will just get you through this time. When you feel hypo, test yourself, and if you are in the 90s, take a single smartie per hour. After an hour is up, if you feel poorly again, test and another smartie. In a couple days, change, if you are in the 80s, take a smartie per hour, but nothing for the nineties. Then, after a week, if you still feel hypo and you see a reading in the 70s, you can have a smartie. The smartie will raise you a 3 -10 mg/dl, enough to relieve some of the symptoms, and it should work within 15 minutes and last an hour. Then you won't feel poorly and can still make continued progress.

I am really happy for you. You are doing great.

Last edited by BrianSCohen; 05-08-2009 at 05:50 AM..
Old 05-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #840
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
If you were here, I would pat you on the back. I am proud of you. I know that you are feeling ill, but you are really making progress. Your dropping blood sugar won't do you any harm. Remember, if you have been having high blood sugars, your body will adjust and it will feel "normal," even if it is really high. As you get your blood sugar numbers down to truly normal, you may feel hypoglycemic, but you really are not. The symptoms you describe are consistent with hypoglycemia. Here are some of the symptoms:

nervousness,
sweating,
intense hunger,
trembling,
weakness,
palpitations

Let me assure you that these feelings should pass and, within the week, your body should adjust to the new blood sugar levels. In the meantime, let me give you a trick that will just get you through this time. When you feel hypo, test yourself, and if you are in the 90s, take a single smartie per hour. After an hour is up, if you feel poorly again, test and another smartie. In a couple days, change, if you are in the 80s, take a smartie per hour, but nothing for the nineties. Then, after a week, if you still feel hypo and you see a reading in the 70s, you can have a smartie. The smartie will raise you a 3 -10 mg/dl, enough to relieve some of the symptoms, and it should work within 15 minutes and last an hour. Then you won't feel poorly and can still make continued progress.

I am really happy for you. You are doing great.
Cool.

Would a small chunk off of a piece of fruit do the trick also? Or would a smartie (assuming this is candy?) be best?

The smarties would probably be easier to carry, but if I have access to fruit, would that be a good option also?