LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #781
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Small_1
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Feb 2009
Denise. Sorry about your back.

Wow 5.3! Congrats!

My first A1c after dx was 6.2. I really want lower. May I ask you some questions?

Do you take any insulin?

Would you mind sharing what your meals look like?

Also your exercise routine? I did some bouncing on my cheapo mini trampoline today and I think it caused a rise in my BG.

I'm sorry if I am being a pest. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.
Small_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #782
Senior LCF Member

Babsy, I (was) taking 1- 75 mcg Levoxyl in the morning with water. Then 5 units Lantus in the morning. And nothing else well except I do take evening primrose oil, ALA, and a pre-natal multi-vitamin. No to my knowledge I am not pre-natal. LOL
I do have novolog ready should I need it, but it kinda seems silly to take it when my bgl is like between 100 and 120 after meals. However, it does take the full five hours for it to go back to at/near my pre-meal bgl.

NCGirl, Exactly! Yeah, we're in a drought as well.

Brian, Oh I am so glad you mentioned the whey protein powder. I wanted to ask you about that, but I forgot. I am thinking that several small meals might be better for me, too.

I've looked at the one in Wal-Mart but decided not to get it because of the carbs. Can't remember how many it had because at the time I would only buy things with 0g total carbs. Have you had any problems with the carbs in the whey powder? Or perhaps I ought not worry so much over that, eh?

I really do appreciate the help. I feel like I can actually beat this thing. Yay!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #783
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 30something
Stats: 188-150-140 surpassed goal x1 and now 10 lbs over
WOE: Diabetic Meal Plan (4-5 sm balanced low-mod carbs)
Start Date: Restart: September 2005
Small 1, my meals are low-mod carb. 22 carbs per meal, 22 protein gms/meal, 9 fat gms per meal.........I got to my goal by 5 of these small meals per day and used ****** to track everything I ate.

After a few years, b/c of wt loss, I decided to go to 3 meals/day x 9 mos., similar balance to stop wt loss and stabilize clothing size. It worked but over 12 months, I have gained 8-10 lbs that I didn't want. I am not happy about wt. gain but want to stabilize.

So I am back to basics working towardd 5 balanced meals/day.

Exercise usually raises my bs. showers raise my bs. Anything seems to raise my bs.

I am a mess and just chose to do what I think works with miminal effort.

I am a minimalist and do T-Tapp, 45 min. of cardio and walking in place 3 x wk at the most. It works for me.

I do aggressive evaluate what I eat and try to make good choices 99% of the time.

This is a lifetime disease, and I think we need to deal with it.

Denise
30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:30 AM   #784
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Everyone!

Denise, Thanks for answering my questions. I have been looking a T-Tapp. Daughter and I watched her do a demo on her site. We decided against it as it just looked sorta compliated.

Anyone ever have this happen...
Last night I tested around 10 p.m. at 78mg/dl so I ate a mock danish. A couple hours later I tested before going to bed I was 100mg/dl. When I woke up my BGL was still 100mg/dl. WOW!!! I have had it happen several times before but it's been quite a while now.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #785
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrianSCohen
Stats: 205/206/210
WOE: Modified Berstein 30-50g/day
Start Date: August 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small_1 View Post
Babsy, I (was) taking 1- 75 mcg Levoxyl in the morning with water. Then 5 units Lantus in the morning. And nothing else well except I do take evening primrose oil, ALA, and a pre-natal multi-vitamin. No to my knowledge I am not pre-natal. LOL
I do have novolog ready should I need it, but it kinda seems silly to take it when my bgl is like between 100 and 120 after meals. However, it does take the full five hours for it to go back to at/near my pre-meal bgl.

NCGirl, Exactly! Yeah, we're in a drought as well.

Brian, Oh I am so glad you mentioned the whey protein powder. I wanted to ask you about that, but I forgot. I am thinking that several small meals might be better for me, too.

I've looked at the one in Wal-Mart but decided not to get it because of the carbs. Can't remember how many it had because at the time I would only buy things with 0g total carbs. Have you had any problems with the carbs in the whey powder? Or perhaps I ought not worry so much over that, eh?

I really do appreciate the help. I feel like I can actually beat this thing. Yay!
Whey protein will have some residual carbs, perhaps 3-5 g per serving. I consider these noise carbs.

I know that you have been trying very hard, but you need to kinda step back and set some more realistic goals and expectations as you make these changes in your life. Right now, everything you have said indicates that you have total control over your blood sugar. I don't think I've read that you had a single reading that was not within target. Most diabetics would kill for that control.

A reasonable guideline is that a type 1 eating 1g of carbs will see a 3 mg/dl rise in their blood sugar (without insulin). Having a protein shake, even with 5g of carbs would cause at worst a 15 mg/dl rise in blood sugar (neglecting protein). And that is without insulin. A basal insulin would cover that. Heck, you could have it with a glass of milk (12g carb) with a normal fasting (83 mg/d) and still end up < 140 mg/dl, all with no insulin. And you are on lantus! You said you are not even taking the novolog.

I am not suggesting that you have to start the novolog, but you will have an easier time and still maintain great control if you just loosen up a bit. You will learn what you can and cannot tolerate. Your goal should be < 140 mg/dl 2 hours after your first bite. That does not mean that no postprandial rise is better, there is no evidence that keeping tighter targets is of any benefit. It is better for your health and happiness to broaden out your diet options.

Thank about it. Get the Whey. Consume the Whey. Be the Whey.
BrianSCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #786
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Well, I was really excited today after my walk. Before the walk it was 163 and after 144. I am excited because excercise causes my sugar to go up 20 to 40 points. I am going through some heart testing because my endo was baffled as to why it goes up and is saying maybe its my heart. Well I did have an abnormal EKG and am going to have a stress test on the first. I think maybe it went down because my sugar was under 170. I thought I read that if it is above 170 it will go up. The only thing I am doing different is that I havent had any alcohol since sunday and I was drinkin about a half of a bottle of rum a night or 1 and a half bottles of wine. I have been walking every day this week. Maybe its because I have been doing it everday and the glucose store in my muscles is decreasing? Help
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #787
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NCgrl
Stats: 410/310/299
WOE: Diabetic 2/09
Start Date: restart 2/09
I went to the doctor today for my first check up since being diagnosed.He said he was very pleased with my progress,actually amazed.He took me off the metformin and said that because my numbers were so low he didn't think I needed it since it caused me such problems.Yay!

I go back in 6 weeks to do another blood panel to see what my A1c is this time.I'm feeling pretty good about it.It's nice to get some positive feedback.
NCgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #788
Senior LCF Member

Babsy, Stress plays a big part in my BGLs. I learned this in Feb. at a family reunion. (BTW, stress also plays havoc on my Beloved's blood pressure.)

I have no idea about alcohol. Alcohol addiction is a big problem in my daddy's side of the family, (they're distance cousins of the Kennedys ) and so I have always stayed away from alcohol.

Also medicine will affect you BGL. Yesterday, I took an anti-biotic, my BGL went up by 20pts. Yipes!!!

Amy, Congratulations!!!

Brian, I had been chanting "Eat the Protein. Be the Protein". Remember that?

When I first joined here I read a post in Muscle Matters where you advised Hannahrose to "Eat the Protein. Be the Protein." I will get the Whey.

It is difficult for me to bolus for food. When I do my BG acts as if I have injected water. Of course, unless I over-shoot with the insulin and then I go hypo.

Dr. B said, that in a whatever pound person one unit will lower it by x mg/dl. But for me that is not the case...I weigh only about 85-90# and one unit only dropped me 10 pts after I injected due to the rise from the anti-biotic and supper. The point drop was not instant (it took several hours), it was no different than when I allow my body to slowly lower it.

Hope y'all have a beautiful Saturday!
Old 03-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #789
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgrl View Post
I went to the doctor today for my first check up since being diagnosed.He said he was very pleased with my progress,actually amazed.He took me off the metformin and said that because my numbers were so low he didn't think I needed it since it caused me such problems.Yay!

I go back in 6 weeks to do another blood panel to see what my A1c is this time.I'm feeling pretty good about it.It's nice to get some positive feedback.
That is outstanding news. I am so proud of you. You need to realize that you will always be carb intolerant, but just think about it. Your doctor said you had basically totally arrested your diabetes. With proper diligence, attention to diet and exercise, you could won't need any further help to manage the situation. I am jealous.

Great work.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #790
Senior LCF Member

No,no,no,don't be jealous of me.I am still learning and you really helped more than you know.I will always be diabetic and this is now a way of living.Thank you for being proud of me,I am too.I never thought I would do this well.

The doctor did say I was a bit obsessive and not to check my blood so often.It's how I hold my self accountable.Maybe in another few months I might be a little less diligent.I still have a long way to go but now I know I can do it.Thanks

~And those who dream on beautiful nights
dream of beautiful things

~Hand in hand on the edge of the sand.
They danced by the light of the moon.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #791
Senior LCF Member

NCGRL, great report........you are doing a great job managing this, it is a journey!

I am testing less than 3 x day now, I rely on A1C and 2 hr. post meal blood glucose....my goal is less than 139 on the meter, 2hr. after my first bite and I am usually 120 or less........

The dawn phenomenon is perplexing to me so I just don't test in the morning. My A1C 5.3 has been excellent but I need the metformin.

I am obsessed about what I eat and balancing small meals with protein, fat and low carb... I do a great job with my meal plan. It working for me at this point.

Denise
Old 03-29-2009, 12:51 AM   #792
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Seems like I haven't posted in here in months.

Well, I am back, and have finally decided to allow my doctor to put me on medication.

I did my best to lower my numbers with food and exercise alone, but I don't think that its enough.

My numbers did go down from the 300's to 140-160 in the mornings and 120-130 throughout the day. Sometimes it spikes to 150 if I am stressed, angry, or fluctuating with my emotions. Other than that there hasn't been much change. The last few days my numbers are all over the place which worries me.

I called to make an appointment with my doctor. Unfortunately, their first available appointment is in 30 days. I accepted and had them schedule me. For now I am going to continue to monitor (test 4 times a day), exercise, eat healthy and hope for the best.

For those on medication...
What are you taking? and how much of it?
What has worked best for you?
Any side effects?
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #793
Senior LCF Member

NurseMonkee
I started on Metformin 500mg 1 x day, after 1 mo. dr. raised it to 500 mg 2 x day as my fasting blood sugar was 130 after 1 mo. on the metformin.

1 yr. or so later, I asked for Glucophage for 90 days, "brand" name had a better reputation........it didn't change my readings sio I went back to metformin.

I then asked dr for Metformin extended release 1000 mg 1 x day, I take it with dinner, may take it at bedtime because I have dawn phenomenon, 100 bs at bedtime and liver dumps sugar in the morning so I was over 110 and sometime 120 without eating when I woke up. After I eat breakfast bs normalized to the 90's b/f lunch.

I have had no symptoms from the medicine.

A1C 5.3 on 2 tests over the past 6 mos.

Denise
Old 03-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #794
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GregsHoney
30something,

I am new to all of this. I was diagnosed a year ago and sent home with a pamphlet on the ADA diet. Of course, that didn't work. I got my first meter in January and now I am no longer flying blind.

My morning readings are my highest of the day unless I eat something I know I shouldn't. I don't sleep well most nights, so I have been taking a couple cubes of cheese to bed with me and when I wake up in the night (sometime between 2 and 4), I eat them and go back to bed. My morning fasting readings have gone from 140-150 to 102-105. I have only done this the last 4 nights, but it seems to be working.
GregsHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #795
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsHoney View Post
30something,

I am new to all of this. I was diagnosed a year ago and sent home with a pamphlet on the ADA diet. Of course, that didn't work. I got my first meter in January and now I am no longer flying blind.

My morning readings are my highest of the day unless I eat something I know I shouldn't. I don't sleep well most nights, so I have been taking a couple cubes of cheese to bed with me and when I wake up in the night (sometime between 2 and 4), I eat them and go back to bed. My morning fasting readings have gone from 140-150 to 102-105. I have only done this the last 4 nights, but it seems to be working.

thats interesting, I might try that
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #796
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMonkee View Post
Seems like I haven't posted in here in months.

Well, I am back, and have finally decided to allow my doctor to put me on medication.

I did my best to lower my numbers with food and exercise alone, but I don't think that its enough.

My numbers did go down from the 300's to 140-160 in the mornings and 120-130 throughout the day. Sometimes it spikes to 150 if I am stressed, angry, or fluctuating with my emotions. Other than that there hasn't been much change. The last few days my numbers are all over the place which worries me.

I called to make an appointment with my doctor. Unfortunately, their first available appointment is in 30 days. I accepted and had them schedule me. For now I am going to continue to monitor (test 4 times a day), exercise, eat healthy and hope for the best.

For those on medication...
What are you taking? and how much of it?
What has worked best for you?
Any side effects?
I was on metformin 500mg a day trying to work my way up to 1000mg.The side effects for me were unbearable.I never left home for 6 weeks.He took me off Friday,it should get better in the next week.It takes a little while to get out.I wish that I had been able to tolerate it because it did seem to help.

I have the dawn effect,which drives me mad.Its down to 105ish but will go up after breakfast.Does it every single time.I'm fortunate though,it could be a lot worse.I am diligent in my testing,eating and exercise.Who would have thought diabetes might have been the best thing for me.

Good Luck,you can accomplish a good amount in a month!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #797
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
30something,

I noticed this last week, too!
On two occassions I have woken up and had a small snack only to wake up with lower numbers. I am going to try it again.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #798
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: petedc8
WOE: diabetic
Start Date: 1/1/09
New here...

Hi all, I am new to the site. After a year of bs ups and downs, going low-carb has helped even out the sugar swings. Still, I do have questions, so I look forward to being with like-minded people who want to "take charge" of their condition to make life better/not be a victim (or worse yet, a casualty) of this disease. I see this forum as a way to learn, and even make some friendships along the way. Looking forward to joining you'all on this journey, pete
petedc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #799
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Hey, guys -

I am still trying to do the same old thing - get weight off, get numbers down............ My BS numbers have been alot better since I am really strict about eating anything with sugar.

Although I still enjoy my wine

I also have the dawn thing - this morning I was 134 - only had coffee in me.
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #800
Senior LCF Member

Welcome to the club no one wants to join, Greg's Honey and Pete!

I have cut all grains, fruits and veggies from my meals. I am getting close to zero carb, but for now I am still using butter, eggs, spices/seasonings, etc. I tried the whey protein powder, but I didn't like the taste and much prefer a steak or chicken. I am finding I am getting better control if I cut a boneless-skinless chicken breast/steak in "chunks" coated with butter and nibble on it during the day.

Paula
Old 04-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #801
Senior LCF Member

I don't know what to do about the dawn effect.I know I am stressing myself to death about it.It's just so frustrating.I'm doing everything I'm "supposed" to do but those morning numbers have me so down,I just want to say why bother.

I've cut everything out of my life and really feel deprived.It seems the only way to keep my numbers low is by not eating.That's not going to work.I don't know what to do
Old 04-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #802
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GregsHoney
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgrl View Post
I don't know what to do about the dawn effect.I know I am stressing myself to death about it.It's just so frustrating.I'm doing everything I'm "supposed" to do but those morning numbers have me so down,I just want to say why bother.:
My morning readings were my highest of the day. I started taking 2 cinnamon capsules at night and immediately dropped 20 points or so. My levels were still higher than I was comfortable with. Due to menopause, I often wake up in the night, sometimes for a short while, sometimes for an hour or more. During that time, I have a small protein snack and my morning readings have gone to a much better level. You might want to try it.
GregsHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:35 AM   #803
Senior LCF Member

Thanks,GregsHoney
I'll give it a shot.I never wake up in the night.So I'll try capsules first.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #804
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Amy, what kind of high numbers - I am also with this - this morning I was 132? I know it is high but my rest of the day is usually ok - is this something I should be really worried about?
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #805
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
Amy, what kind of high numbers - I am also with this - this morning I was 132? I know it is high but my rest of the day is usually ok - is this something I should be really worried about?
OMG! The Dawn Phenomenon. Sometimes I call it the Darn Phenomenon. Lets just call it DP for now. Sometimes, I am just high in the morning, 130-140 mg/dl. No explanation, no sense. I joke that it is the work of aliens. Here is how they do it:

Now seriously, many diabetics suffer from DP. Dr. Bernstein argues that there are three causes for DP. One is a rebound effect (the Somogyi effect) where you go low at night, your body freaks out and dumps blood sugar in an attempt to counteract the low. You can test this by waking yourself over hour or so and testing. Don't do this all night, just test at 2am the first night, 3am the second and so forth. If you do it all in one night, you will beg the aliens to suck your brains out. If you do go low, you may be able to counteract that by eating a slow digesting food before bed, such as casein protein.

Now the second cause of DP is a natural release of blood sugar that everyone has that is perhaps a way of providing energy for us to rise in the morning after fasting all night. This is perhaps normal and there is unlikely to be anything you can do about it.

The final cause of DP is that during the night your liver clears out the circulating insulin from your blood (did you think it was all used in glucose uptake?). If you clear all your insulin out, this may in itself signal your liver to produce glucose, and tada DP. If you take insulin, you can try to time your basal dose to be taken in the evening, or slightly increase you even dose, that may help.

That being said. Nobody has given me a good argument that says a mildly elevated DP number (< 140 mg/dl) is bad if you still have a good fasting number for the rest of the day. I have found that having a glass or two of red wine before bed can keep my liver busy and markedly suppress DP. Some people may find that taking all their metformin at night helps. And of course, there are suggestions that you can manipulate your evening snack, whether it be some carbs, or protein/fat. As a final note, I have had success in reseting my morning numbers by promptly having a small meal. I have a protein shake made with a cup of milk first thing in the morning. This seems to restore my levels. If I fast in the morning, my blood sugars will continue to rise.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #806
Senior LCF Member

DP is complex. Great with cinnamon, I take 1000mg 3 x day with marginal results!

T2, on Metform ER 1000mg at dinner............ Now I do not test in the morning b/c I get upset with DP rears its ugly head, and I have excellent A1Cs 5.3 x 2 for the past 6 mo. A1C was 5.4 1 yr ago.

BS goes up for me after exercise, a shower, if I get anxious, if I laugh! etc.

After 3 yrs. on testing 3-4 x's day, I have reduced testing which saves my finger tips which have become damaged and not as flexible related to feeling, picking up, opening jars etc. Goal: as long as my A1C and 2 hr. bs (my goal is below 139, it is usually 120).

For me, the best use of my meter is random before meal test, occasional 2 hr. post meal after a questionable choice.

Had a cookie at a potluck last night and a peice of a stromboli (meatball/cheese/veggies wrapped in dough, salad..........too difficult to calculate carbs. Thought BS was high, ready to take an extra metformin..........tested it was 99. Surprise, surpise......maybe I am not diabetic!! Wrong!

When I was first dx'd in '05, I ordered $200 worth of herbals/supplements etc. used them for 3 mos. with no added value. Its a your mileage may vary, try and use what works for you.

Denise
Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #807
Senior LCF Member

Brian, love the pic, he comes to my house too!!

I thought I controlled my DP with drinking 1 shot of tequilla at bedtime!! A shooter each night got old quick! No fun when you are in your jammies with a shooter without a pajama party! Also thought I am not added the shooter to the record of my alcohol consumption........just not fair, it shouldn't effect count I allow at happy hour! which is truly a social event! Shooter at bedtime was medicine! Also tried eating sm. amt., and exercising fo 45 min. b/f bedtime, a crazed person thinking I was in control!

My DP exited the scene for mos. at a time, and comes back at will, so I gave up the shooter! and testing in the morning. I am calmer when I figured out it DP is beyond my control.

Denise
Old 04-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #808
Blabbermouth!!!

Does anyone experience higher levels when emotionally upset/stressed?

Quote:
My morning readings were my highest of the day. I started taking 2 cinnamon capsules at night and immediately dropped 20 points or so. My levels were still higher than I was comfortable with. Due to menopause, I often wake up in the night, sometimes for a short while, sometimes for an hour or more. During that time, I have a small protein snack and my morning readings have gone to a much better level. You might want to try it.
Milk Thistle helps too.
I posted (on this thread) about an article I saw in Prevention magazine last year and have been taking MT since. It does make a difference, at least it has for me. Worth looking into.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #809
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
My dp is usually 120 to 130,I know that's not as bad as some.After breakfast sometimes it'll go down and sometimes it goes up.This morning it went to 146 but we were having to remove a leaking toilet and everybody was upset and frustrated.

By lunch time it was 88.I think I'll give some cinnamon at night a whirl,I don't drink.Don't really care to start,alcoholic father issues.Might try the milk thistle,too.I've tried the cheese snack before bed,no difference really.It's finding that fine balance that makes it work.I've just got to keep trying.2 months is not long enough to find a balance.

BTW I got my blood sugar levels low enough to go back to the dentistI never thought that would be my reaction to the dentist chair
Old 04-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #810
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txtapper
WOE: Low Carb High Fat (Rosedale)
As far as DP goes some wines work for me but it has to be really dry. The drier the better. And siliphos which is a form of milk thistle works too. Not as well as the wine but it works. Sometimes with the right wine I will wake up in the 70's and 80's depending on what I ate the previous day (I try very hard to keep low carb like Bernsteins low). With the siliphos it will be in the 90's but that's not bad. OH and exercise added to this mix helps. If I do the wine or siliphos with exercise then I usually don't have the DP.