LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #721
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NCgrl
Stats: 410/310/299
WOE: Diabetic 2/09
Start Date: restart 2/09
Thank you,RW City Sue,
It does help quite a bit.I keep feeling like I should have it managed in a week but I know that it doesn't work that way.It's heavy.I'm going to stay with my low carb opinion.All of my sisters and Mother say I need to stick with the ADA way of doing things but it just doesn't feel right to me.Carbs=sugar,so how can my blood sugar go down if I'm eating 200 carbs a day.

I think the metformin is making me sick.I'm going to try and stick it out.I am on extended release so maybe it will even out.Thanks for the friendly ear.It helps to tell because it's so overwhelming.

Thanks again

~And those who dream on beautiful nights
dream of beautiful things

~Hand in hand on the edge of the sand.
They danced by the light of the moon.
NCgrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #722
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 30something
Stats: 188-150-140 surpassed goal x1 and now 10 lbs over
WOE: Diabetic Meal Plan (4-5 sm balanced low-mod carbs)
Start Date: Restart: September 2005
NCGirl, everyone is different and you will find what works for you.

After doing Atkins for many years to control and lose the same 30 lbs I struggled with for 10 yrs, I was dx'd with T2 Diabetes 3 yrs ago.

Think the Atkins approach warded off my diagnosis of T2 for some yrs.

I follow the 5 small balanced meal diabetic diet plan I got off the internet. 108 carb gms day, no more that 22 carb gms per meal.

It works for me, I lost the 30 troublesome lbs and more over 1+ yrs.

My A1C is 5.4 and FBS averages in the 90s.

My blood glucose is 120 on the meter 2 hrs. after a 22 carb meal. and in the 80's -90's at the 3-4 hr. period post meal. I am never full and never hungry.

I started with Metformin 500mg 2 x day and have taken Metformin ER 1000mg 1 x day. I do not remember any side effects.

I am still diabetic, dr. thought wt loss would change my fate but no...... I am genetically challenged!

Just calm yourself down there are many of us coping with diabetes, so much support. Learn everything you can and you will become the expert.

You will adjust as you learn more about your response to foods etc.

Best wishes in your journey.

Denise
30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #723
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrianSCohen
Stats: 205/206/210
WOE: Modified Berstein 30-50g/day
Start Date: August 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgrl View Post
Hi everyone,
Just diagnosed with Type 2,for real this time.My doctor has kind of been on the fence about it.He finally did the blood tests and my A1c was 10.5.My blood sugar started out at 410.In the past three days,I've gotten it down by low carbing.It's running about 220 now.I've been put on metformin,glyburide and a statin for hdl.

I am bewildered and overwhelmed and have no idea how to handle this.I spend most of the time weeping,but that could be the blood sugar.I know I feel mean and irritable.I'm afraid if I go low carb with the meds I'm on,the doc will think it's the meds and I'll never get off.I'm already having severe gastro and nausea due to something.I just can't see the ADA way of eating working for me or anyone.

I guess I'm asking for a little reassurance that it's not the end of the world.I'll still be able to function and live my life.Thanks for the ear.It's a little like barking in the dark.

I know this is just shocking. Suddenly your facing your own mortality. I am sure every one has now told you there version of the horror story about how some diabetic the know who has had terrible complications. Well, let me tell you, that is only your fate if you choose to make it so. If you are diligent about your diet and exercise, and take your mediation there is no reason you cannot expect to live a long and healthy life. In fact, you need to also clearly understand that for most of us type 2 diabetics, we did not get diabetes because we ate badly and were overweight. All to often, your diabetes is the result of your long standing dysfunction handling carbs. Do you think you have had trouble handling carbs for a long time?

So let me give you some advice to help you. First, your diet. You will have people tell you to eat the ADA diet, but the key is to eat low carb. If you are already dieting with carb levels well below the ADA, the pat yourself onthe back. The medical establishment is just plain confused. Eat your carbs in modest measured amounts throughout the day, preferably 4-6 meal/snacks. If you can keep less than 100g/day, great.

Second. Metformin. Many people have gastric distress with Met and you are not alone. Here are some things that helped me. Take it with a meal. Note that often carbs in the meal will increase the gas and bloating. Take the ER version, you only need to take it once a day.

Third, I want you to take as your mission is to become smart about this. You can start by finding and reading up on the Blood Sugar 101 site, run by a fellow member.

Now as a final note, you need to understand that you have just been slapped up beside your head with what seems like tragic news. You need to remind yourself that you can manage diabetes, you can live a long, healthy and full life. You are just going to need take care of some stuff. It will take you some time to fully digest this, but just keep reminding yourself that you are going to be fine.
BrianSCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #724
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the support,
I think that I am allergic to carbs.Are you sure not eating the right way hasn't caused this?Not one other member of my family is diabetic.I did think that once diagnosed you were always diabetic.It's just managed or not.I'm sure that I will learn more as time goes by,I'm just overwhelmed at the moment.Of course,it's been 4 days but seems like forever.Thanks Denise,I appreciate the advice.It will be fine.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #725
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
not everyone can eat 20 carbs per meal. I used to be able to but not anymore. I am wondering if since I have lowered my carbs way down and been doing that for years if it has made me more carb sensitive.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #726
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6-14-03
for NCGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgrl View Post
Thanks for the support,
I think that I am allergic to carbs.Are you sure not eating the right way hasn't caused this?Not one other member of my family is diabetic.I did think that once diagnosed you were always diabetic.It's just managed or not.I'm sure that I will learn more as time goes by,I'm just overwhelmed at the moment.Of course,it's been 4 days but seems like forever.Thanks Denise,I appreciate the advice.It will be fine.
It's been a couple weeks since you posted, just checking to see how things are going for you now. Somewhere way back in this thread I detailed a lot about my initial intro to being type 2 diabetic, so I won't go into it all again here. But I did want to say that as scary as it was, I am now truly thankful for the diabetes. As crazy as that sounds it is true. I think it has saved my life. It is my motivation to keep taking good care of myself even when discouraged, bored, stressed, whatever. I don't go off my healthy eating because that is one thing I can control and with that I can postpone (and hopefully totally avoid) all the horrors of end stage diabetes. It was a curse initially, but now I see it as a blessing in disguise. That perspective switch took quite a while.

I hope things are going a little smoother for you now.

Last edited by dreamerdee; 03-01-2009 at 09:38 AM..
dreamerdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #727
Senior LCF Member

Thanks dreamerdee,
It's been 18 days now.I can't seem to get my blood sugar as low as I'd like but I guess you can't change this in a month.I've been doing well with the diet,although you can't call it a diet now.It's the way I've got to eat from now on.I don't want to die a piece at a time.Trying to get in more exercise is the main issue now.

I'm starting to come around a little more now.I confess it still gets to me at times and probably will for a long time.I have a food thing.I sometimes imagine that the unhealthy food I used to eat is now like putting a gun to my head.It's poison and it will kill me slowly.Sorry to be so melodramatic but it works for me.

Thanks for thinking of me.I really appreciate it.It's tough to be alone with this and few people understand.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #728
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
I believe I finally have my BS under control.

What I was doing - eating sugar and thinking the pills will bring down my BS - how stupid of me and guess ignorant.

For the past three weeks, I have resolved to give up sugar and I am seeing the lowest numbers I have EVER SEEN. 98, 101, ETC -

I am getting used to looking at the ingredients and staying away from sugar. I am not a big fan of candy or chocolate so that helps.

My snacks are almonds, string cheese, olives, sugar free jello, and so far so good.

Cheryl
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #729
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sebring_Pop
NCgrl Well well well welcome to the club. I was in your shoes in 2000 and you sound just like I did. First it is not easy to change, small changes at a time. If you try to change everything, you will fail. I thing my first change was to learn to read labels and started counting carbs. Second was to walk, walk, walk and carry a water bottle. I am a little lucky I am somewhat of a car nut so I park my cars in God's country at the stores etc. so that helped me get into walking. It took me about 2 months to get my sugar under control. I did not follow my Doc's goal of 110 in the morning. I went with the old numbers of 130. When you get there you will feel good about yourself and will want to keep it up.
Best of LUCK to ya.
Pop

[COLOR="Indigo"]The worst thing you could do with your money is save it.[/COLOR]
Sebring_Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #730
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JMS1
Stats: 175/178/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February, 2008/restart 1/2/2010
On Dr. Bernstein's read it on line I came across one of his suggestions regarding diet. He mentioned a peanut butter pie. Does anyone have the recipe? I'm on just veggies, dairy; and protein meant and have considerably brought down my BS. Some nights I take my metformin if I have a reading of 116 to 120 and this is because I get the dawn phenomenon. Other nights I do not need it. But it shure would be nice to have something sweet now and then. Dr. says the sugar free jello has maltodrextin which is not good for you BS
JMS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:25 AM   #731
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay - here is a little strange question - I worry about my feet with diabetes and was wondering - anyone use a good lotion?? - I live in Florida and we are always in flip flops?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #732
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS1 View Post
On Dr. Bernstein's read it on line I came across one of his suggestions regarding diet. He mentioned a peanut butter pie. Does anyone have the recipe? I'm on just veggies, dairy; and protein meant and have considerably brought down my BS. Some nights I take my metformin if I have a reading of 116 to 120 and this is because I get the dawn phenomenon. Other nights I do not need it. But it shure would be nice to have something sweet now and then. Dr. says the sugar free jello has maltodrextin which is not good for you BS
Well, I would always recommend that you just get the books. As a diabetic, you are going to spend significant resources on your health. The extra $50 it takes to get both Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and The Diabetes Diet books would pay you back many times over. The recipe for peanut butter pie is on page 269 of the Diabetes Diet book.

As to the jello, Kraft sugar free jello contains maltodextrin and each serving has less than 1g of carbs. As there are 8 servings in a package, eating the entire thing would have less than 8g of carbs. If you are following 6-12-12, obviously 8g would be difficult to handle, but if you are a bit more relaxed, there is no reason you can't have at least a serving or two in the evening without fear of an adverse effect on your BS.

Last edited by BrianSCohen; 03-11-2009 at 07:47 AM..
Old 03-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #733
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
Okay - here is a little strange question - I worry about my feet with diabetes and was wondering - anyone use a good lotion?? - I live in Florida and we are always in flip flops?
As an older diabetic, with more stress on your body, your feet can become vulnerable. You can have skin problems, the skin can crack. This in conjunction with loss of feeling (neuropathy) and being prone to infections historically made feet a source of problems for diabetics.

I don't know your diabetic status. If you are young, well controlled blood sugars with no sign of neuropathy and soft supple skin you don't have much worry. If you have lost feeling in your feet, your skin is dry and thick and your blood sugar is marginal, then beware. If this is the case, regularly see a podiatrist, keep your skin smooth and soft, use a lotion and avoid exposing your feet to potential injury and infection.

Myself, I am in good shape, but I do file the skin on my feet as I tend to callous heavily. I don't use a lotion.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #734
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Brian!

I go to the foot dr annually, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good lotion as the ones I have used don't work so well.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #735
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring_Pop View Post
NCgrl Well well well welcome to the club. I was in your shoes in 2000 and you sound just like I did. First it is not easy to change, small changes at a time. If you try to change everything, you will fail. I thing my first change was to learn to read labels and started counting carbs. Second was to walk, walk, walk and carry a water bottle. I am a little lucky I am somewhat of a car nut so I park my cars in God's country at the stores etc. so that helped me get into walking. It took me about 2 months to get my sugar under control. I did not follow my Doc's goal of 110 in the morning. I went with the old numbers of 130. When you get there you will feel good about yourself and will want to keep it up.
Best of LUCK to ya.
Pop
Thanks,Sebring_Pop!Nice car btw.I'm drinking enough water to float.Unfortunately last week I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis.Walking is sheer misery.Just around the house has me in tears.My orthotics are coming next week.I hope they work.

I would like my numbers to be 110 in the morning.I'm afraid I have the dawn effect.I go back to the doctor in 2 weeks.I'll talk to him and see.Thanks for the LUCK but so far it's been hard work thats got me from 410 to 120.Always can use a little more luck
Old 03-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #736
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
Thanks, Brian!

I go to the foot dr annually, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good lotion as the ones I have used don't work so well.
Have you tried Zim's Crack Cream?It works pretty well for me.I have horrible heels.I never wear shoes.I've been going barefoot since birth.Guess I'll have to stop that now.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #737
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
I really like Burt's Bees coconut foot lotion.
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #738
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Small_1
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Feb 2009
I use LouAna Coconut Oil (found in the baking aisle at Wal-Mart) works on my feet. After reading Dr. Bernstein's book, I went to the shoe department at Wal-Mart and bought some Mink Oil. Both can be purchased for less than 10$ I believe. After using the mink oil my beloved mentioned how nice my feet felt. I told him about the mink oil. He was impressed. He uses it on his work boots. LOL
Small_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #739
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, thanks for the great ideas - I was just using vaseline but I wanted to try something else.

NCgrl - I have the dawn effect, too! I just had my blood work done and I am still high 7.7 BUT it is only like 3-4 weeks since I have given up sugar entirely and I have seen wonderful numbers so I go back in June and hopefully it will be way down

He wants me to lose 10% of my weight before then too - cause my blood pressure was also up - it really sucks getting old
Old 03-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #740
Senior LCF Member

Cherylg-
I go back next friday to the doctor.It will be my first recheck since being diagnosed.I gave up sugar the first day I was diagnosed.Went straight to low carb.I do have 1 diet soda a day but I'm trying to cut that back ,too.My numbers have dropped from 410 to around 130 in the morning.The rest of the day is usually around 100.

What do you do for your dawn effect,if anything?I need to lose a lot of weight.My blood pressure is very high,always has been.It doesn't suck getting old,considering I'm 40.It sucks when your body craps out on you.

Try the Zim's.I also remember using udder cream at one point which was really great.If it helps chapped cow udders,it's gotta help.They stopped selling it at walmart.You could probably get it at a farmers supply store.Good luck on those feet,mine are a mess,too.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #741
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Amy - I take 500 mg metformin before I go to sleep and that helps. Yeah, I know I should have stopped with the sugar but I am QUEEN OF DE NIAL
Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #742
Senior LCF Member

I take Metformin,too.I hate that stuff.It just about kills me.I should've stopped with the sugar about 10 years ago but I've been riding the river of De-Nile for a long time.410 and I just couldn't do it anymore.That and the fact that I couldn't see.Luckily my sight came back about a week in.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #743
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Amy - what do you mean you couldn't see? -wow - I got pancreatitus in June 2006. My BS was 350 and tryglycerides were 3700 - that is right, 3700 - I was in a drug induced coma for like 3 weeks and was basically told things had to change or else.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #744
Senior LCF Member

Wow 3700,I thought mine was bad at 200.Yeah,I was taking another med for blood pressure and my vision went out.I thought it was a side effect from the medication,never imagined it was high bs.I could see shapes and colors but that was about it.I actually had to let my husband drive.That never happens,he scares me to death.It was even worse when I couldn't see.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #745
Senior LCF Member

I have a question...Is everyone who post here type 2 diabetic?

NCgirl...when my BS was really high my vision was blurred but I still drove. I would have my children tell me where vehicles were, were to turn, if that car was coming toward us or in front of us in our lane, if that was my light that was green/red/yellow? LOL
I'm an NC girl too, smack-dab in the middle of the capital and the coast. I Love NC!
Old 03-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #746
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Remind me not to come to NC, you people drive crazy

only kidding

Paula - we are all diabetics trying to figure it all out, I guess? I am type 2, diagnosed in June 2006, and my bs was really good until about a year ago and then it went off the charts I am geting it all straigthened out - just need to lose the weight. Although I have not been on scale, I feel like I have lost. I totally am reading all labels and avoiding all sugar.

I do have a glass of wine, though a couple of times a week.

Last edited by Cherylg; 03-18-2009 at 01:13 PM..
Old 03-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #747
Senior LCF Member

Hi Small 1,
I was not diagnosed as Type 2.I was just told you have diabetes.From all of my research I am Type 2.You are much braver than I was.Even with hubby driving it was better than me.I love NC,too.I live at the base of the mountains but it's never too far to the coast.It's hotter down your way.

How long have you been diabetic and are you a 1 or 2?It's nice to meet you

Cherylg-I haven't been on the scale either but I can tell I've lost weight.My pants are bigger,in fact I have to hold onto them when walking up stairsThey say the wine,if you drink it in the evening will help with the dawn effect.It keeps your liver busy so it doesn't dump glucose.I don't know,I haven't tried it.I don't drink.I may have to start
Old 03-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #748
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome.

Cheryl, my mother used to say, "You youngins will drive a preacher to drinkin'!" Poor dear did have four of us, two boys and one girl (me) very close in age. Bless her .

I was diagnosed type 1 at the age of 41 on Oct 24, 2008. My blood sugar was over 700. Also I was labeled aneroxic ( but I am not nor have I ever been), yeah sure I was small (81#) but they never bothered to ask about what had been happening in my life just prior to being hospitalized. Anywhoo...was also put on thyroid medication for hypothyroidism. But I'm thinking of going off of that. The doctor at the hospital said, "It will make your hair, skin and nails beautiful. And you won't be constipated anymore." I asked him if it would also make my hair blonde and my eyes blue, he just looked at me like I was nuts. LOL When I told my sister in-law/my doctor's assoc. that I wanted off, she said, "If you do you'll feel like crap." Honest her exact words. Well, I have to say...everyday I feel especially after eating. I'm thinking the thyroid medicine is causing it. Well, that was probably way more imformation than y'all wanted.

I am only taking 5 units Lantus in the morning. I am suppose to take 3 units novolog before breakfast and dinner and 6 units novolog before supper. But they always cause me to go hypo so I don't.

Today was my first hypo moment in weeks. I ate breakfast of one fried egg and 2 sausage links about an hour after taking the Lantus. Then as I said I haven't been feeling well and I had breakfast kinda late so I skipped dinner. At about 6 p.m. I tested and I was 60. Supper was just getting started. So, I ate one smartie and two stauffer's animal crackers. Then I ate supper. One hour pp and I was 85. I still feel .

Take Care,
Paula
Old 03-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #749
Senior LCF Member

You need to be very careful Small _1.I'm worried for you.In my opinion you need a second opinion.Your healthcare staff sounds a little off.I know personally if I had eaten that little I would feel sick as well.You need to eat more.If I get nauseous I know I haven't had enough food.These are just my opinions and I haven't been diagnosed long enough to know much but your hypo's worry me.Take care of yourself.It's a lot of work and sometimes the meds make you sick(like metformin).It'll all come together in time.Wishing you the best.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #750
Senior LCF Member

Thanks NCGirl. Today I have been feeling better.

Breakfast was fried egg and 2 sausage patties.

Dinner was 4 ham and mustard roll ups. I wasn't very hungry and knew I would be having a big supper.

And I did! LOL

Supper was a thick NY Strip (that my Beloved grilled) and a pretty nice sized salad. For dessert I had some homemade low carb baked cheesecake with homemade whipped cream.

I haven't gone hypo in a while. Today my lowest was 73, and I don't consider that hypo...though my mil does!

My healthcare staff are off and that's what I about them. One of them is my sister in-law, so I really her, plus I can call her anytime day or night if an issue comes up. Not too many folks have their doc' cell phone number. Plus she doesn't charge me extra for bugging her at home or on the weekends.

My grandson is having a party (his second) on Sunday. My doc/sil is going so I plan to corner her at the party and let her know that I am coming off the Levoyxl (for my thyroid).