Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 05:31 AM   #691
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
I have a question - and it may sound stupid - but, if I have a cup of coffee in am and then take my blood sugar, is that considerd fasting?? - I use half and half and a sweet low?
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2008, 05:34 AM   #692
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maeve
Stats: 224/219/178
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Ongoing
If you're fasting, you can only have plain coffee, tea or water.
Maeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #693
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrandNewMe2004
Stats: HW 330/CW 245.3/GW 150
WOE: LC/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
I have a question - and it may sound stupid - but, if I have a cup of coffee in am and then take my blood sugar, is that considerd fasting?? - I use half and half and a sweet low?
Definitely not a fasting # that way, IMO. Coffee, and 1/2 & 1/2 can impact that #. Plus, I've had one group say that you should test before getting out of bed, because even the movements of getting up and going to the bathroom will change the #'s from true fasting.
Yeah - I don't get that either, because all doctor's/lab tests are done after getting your butt down to an office somewhere.
And, hey - if I wanted to get up at 6am before my DP kicks in, I'm sure my fastings would all look normal.
So - how much of a difference does all that make, ? dunno, but you might test pre and post-coffee to see if it's making a difference for you.
http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com/
"I can have results or I can have excuses. I can not have both."
BrandNewMe2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #694
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrianSCohen
Stats: 205/206/210
WOE: Modified Berstein 30-50g/day
Start Date: August 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave L View Post
Good info, I guess I thought that what the news says everyday. I still have to take meds Mon-Fri. I have lost 35 pounds since June 08, and my numbers keep getting better. I was 215, now 180. Oatmeal, nuts, fruits, & veggies is where 90% of my carbs come from. I still think you are right about over the years it is a result, but its a result from being inactive and eating the wrong foods and when we get older (35+) you can not do it unless you live at the gym.
Dave,

Great job. 35 pounds since June is awesome!! I agree, clearly being inactive and eating the wrong foods just enables weight gain as we get older.

Keep up the good work. Maybe it is time to think about a new goal, beyond losing weight. Perhaps building muscle and losing bodyfat?
BrianSCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 AM   #695
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
I can't remember if I've posted this earlier, but check with your insurance carrier to see if buying your supplies (meter, strips, lancets) through your pharmacy's 'medical supply' division (if they have one), or an online medical supply house (I use one in Twinsburg, OH) will save you money. I get my supplies free, no co-pay, when purchased as 'medical supplies', but have a substantial co-pay if I go through my pharmacy. My carrier, BC/BS, told me about this

There is also a seller on ebay that sells brand new (sealed, retail boxed) One Touch meters for $5.
For the most part, state laws require that insurance companies cover diabetes (see Diabetes: State mandates for insurance coverage) (although surprisingly not in Ohio). You will need a diagnosis and a prescription from your doctor. In many cases, insurance companies will have an in-house mail order division that can supply even more substantially discounted supplies. I get a ninety day supply of test strips or lancets just for one co-pay. Most meters can be obtained for free.

You can also check with your local diabetes education center to see what they might suggest. Often, they or your doctor have lots of samples of meters and strips to give out.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:10 AM   #696
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewMe2004 View Post
Definitely not a fasting # that way, IMO. Coffee, and 1/2 & 1/2 can impact that #. Plus, I've had one group say that you should test before getting out of bed, because even the movements of getting up and going to the bathroom will change the #'s from true fasting.
Yeah - I don't get that either, because all doctor's/lab tests are done after getting your butt down to an office somewhere.
And, hey - if I wanted to get up at 6am before my DP kicks in, I'm sure my fastings would all look normal.
So - how much of a difference does all that make, ? dunno, but you might test pre and post-coffee to see if it's making a difference for you.
BrandNewMe is right. To get an accurate fasting, just water. Also as she notes a fasting morning number can be substantially different from a fasting number during the day and it varies by individual. I often find my morning number is 110-130 mg/dl, while my fasting number during the day is 80-100 mg/dl.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #697
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, guys! I always meant to ask this and kept forgetting. Makes sense to me that fasting would be just that but a friend of mine whose husband is a major diabetic told me different. But now that I found this great thread, I know I am getting good info

I go to American Diabetes Whoelsale online for my supplies - they have good prices!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #698
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dave L
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSCohen View Post
Dave,

Great job. 35 pounds since June is awesome!! I agree, clearly being inactive and eating the wrong foods just enables weight gain as we get older.

Keep up the good work. Maybe it is time to think about a new goal, beyond losing weight. Perhaps building muscle and losing bodyfat?

I have been running 3-4 miles @ 5.5 on treadmill 3 days a week, and a little lifting. Now that its winter so many people come to gym, it takes 2 hours to do my work out, I wish I had a gym at home. LOL
Dave L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #699
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave L View Post
I have been running 3-4 miles @ 5.5 on treadmill 3 days a week, and a little lifting. Now that its winter so many people come to gym, it takes 2 hours to do my work out, I wish I had a gym at home. LOL
Dave,

That is great. I can sympathize with the amount of time. 2 hours is a lot, and it adds up. Have you thought about interval training? It can be more time efficient and as effective as endurance cardio.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:37 AM   #700
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Can someone tell me what is the Dawn Phenomon?? (sp)
Old 11-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #701
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: 280/210.2/161
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Dukan 1/4/2014 Elim diet 4/27/14 Challenge 6/1/14
Hi Cheryl,

I talked to a diabetes nurse about my morning bgs being higher than my bedtime reading. As I understand it, that is what Dawn Phenomenon is about--blood sugar going up even though nothing has been eaten since bedtime.

She basically thought that my liver was putting out sugar overnite while I was not eating and she suggested a small bedtime snack to help trigger a release of my own insulin (I'm type 2).

Do you have the book, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution? I consider it must reading for diabetics He says about Dawn Phenomenon that research suggests that the liver deactivates more insulin during the early morning hours than at other times of day.

Hope this helps answer your question.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #702
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Sue! I had taken that book out of the library but I think I will go out and buy it (or maybe Santa will bring it)

I am high in the morning
Old 11-29-2008, 03:04 AM   #703
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dave L
interval training?

Did not know what it was till i just googled it. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSCohen View Post
Dave,

That is great. I can sympathize with the amount of time. 2 hours is a lot, and it adds up. Have you thought about interval training? It can be more time efficient and as effective as endurance cardio.
Dave L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #704
Major LCF Poster!

Got my latest round of blood tests. Some CHO went down, liver and all that are fine. A1C is 7.1.
Starting a new plan. I think I've lost weight over T-Day. I'm very hopeful.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #705
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hummbabybear
Stats: 224/214/193
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: September 2008
Hello, new to the board. I have prediabetes - glucose fasting score of 118 in 2006 and 119 in 2008. My doctor mentioned that I needed to live a healthier lifestyle. After reading about prediabetes in September, I decided to lose weight and have lost about 20 lbs. limiting carbs to 20 per day and exercise about 4 hours per week. I'll take another test in March.

My HDL was borderline. Any word on whether the low carb diet negatively affects HDL? Will the weight loss balance that out?
hummbabybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #706
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummbabybear View Post
Hello, new to the board. I have prediabetes - glucose fasting score of 118 in 2006 and 119 in 2008. My doctor mentioned that I needed to live a healthier lifestyle. After reading about prediabetes in September, I decided to lose weight and have lost about 20 lbs. limiting carbs to 20 per day and exercise about 4 hours per week. I'll take another test in March.

My HDL was borderline. Any word on whether the low carb diet negatively affects HDL? Will the weight loss balance that out?
Welcome to my world. I have to congratulate you. By taking action now, you can make some very positive changes and get your health under control. Let it go a couple years and you will find it much harder to deal with.

HDL should be > 40 mg/dl. Eating healthy fats really helps. Read May Enig's book "Know your fats" for the real scoop. Other things that really help HDL include exercise (you are on top of that, right?) and a glass or two of medicinal red wine every evening. Select a dry red wine with little residual sugar. Low HDL can also be caused by a vitamin D deficiency, so if you don't get much sun, you might try 1000-2000 iu supplement of vit D. Also, most important, I'm glad I did not forget. Fish oil. Get some fish oil gel caps with high levels of EPA and DHA (500-700 mg/cap). I take 8-10 caps a day, but you could just take a normal dose (I am not normal) and take 1-2 caps a day and that will help.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #707
Major LCF Poster!

Weigh-in this morning. 302.4. I was up to 310 before leaving due to going off plan again. I had serious GI issues while gone - still do to some extent, but I also tried to eat healthier and started South Beach (my Dad has lost 50 pounds and looks amazing!).
Still haven't found my meter in the luggage. I hope I didn't leave it up north...
Old 12-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #708
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HezzieLee View Post
I'm new to the whole Pre diabeties thing. Does your doctor have any of you testing your blood sugar? Mine doesn't. labs every 3 months and 1500mg of XR daily. I was so overwhelmed by it all that I just forgot to ask- of course he's darn near impossible to get a hold of by phone...
Do you think it would help? My GTT was 146. I know very little else.
Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to get a monitor and check yourself whenever you feel like it. You don't need a prescription for monitor or testing strips. I get mine online. You'll feel a lot more in control if you regularly test yourself.

I don't recommend any abbots lab products--I can get wildly different readings on them from the same drop of blood. Most of the others are just fine, though.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #709
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: faithful
So Happy to have found this forum!

Hello all!

I'm so thankful that you all share your experiences via this site.

(Background: I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia about 15 years ago and have had to try to figure it out on my own. I almost completely cut out sweets around that time. I wasn't a big carb eater. After having children, I found out I had a dairy allergy and stopped dairy. My youngest, whom I breastfeed reacts to almost all grains. In avoiding dairy and grains - I recently started eating a lot more whole grain carbs due to hunger and trying to provide nutrition.)

Recently I discover that my levels are spiking 185 - 240 then crashing to around 67 if I eat carbs. My fasting blood sugar varies from 70 - 134 depending on if I have eaten carbs the day before. My doctor I just started working with says he thinks I have diabetes and will probably need medication because I have almost all of the symptoms even though my A1c level is 5.5. I've been referred to an endo - waiting for an appointment. I'm underweight. I have started exercising everyday for 30min for the past 9 days. I'd rally like to know my options before meeting with endo so I at least know what to ask.

Questions:

How many carbs do you eat to gain weight?

If I restrict them to much then I feel the hypo symptoms even though leves in 70-85 range?

Can low carb help with this?

What do you snack on? I feel hungry almost all the time.

Thanks so much for your help!
faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #710
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 2big4britjez
Stats: 240/197/150
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic & Zero Carb
Start Date: 6/23/08 & 1/1/09 & 1/1/10
Food Pyramid

Thankful I found this thread!

I was diagnosed with Type 2 on Monday this week. My A1C was 6.2 and doc said it was high. I've checked my bg for the last 6 months or so, trying to monitor it and keep it around 93-96, so the doc appt came out of left field for me. Been lcing for over a year, but like my beer & wine.

Time to kick that lifestyle in the rear!

Before I left the doc office, she gave me brochures to take with. One of them included diabetes meal plans and suggested 15 gm carbs per serving, following the governmental food pyramid.

Talk about conflicting advice! She knows I've been lcing, approves of Atkins, so why would she hand me something with the pyramid on it?

"Hormones are the air traffic controllers determining the fate of whatever flies in." -Jonny Bowden, M.A., C.N.S.

43 LBS THINNER!
2big4britjez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #711
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithful View Post
Hello all!

I'm so thankful that you all share your experiences via this site.

(Background: I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia about 15 years ago and have had to try to figure it out on my own. I almost completely cut out sweets around that time. I wasn't a big carb eater. After having children, I found out I had a dairy allergy and stopped dairy. My youngest, whom I breastfeed reacts to almost all grains. In avoiding dairy and grains - I recently started eating a lot more whole grain carbs due to hunger and trying to provide nutrition.)

Recently I discover that my levels are spiking 185 - 240 then crashing to around 67 if I eat carbs. My fasting blood sugar varies from 70 - 134 depending on if I have eaten carbs the day before. My doctor I just started working with says he thinks I have diabetes and will probably need medication because I have almost all of the symptoms even though my A1c level is 5.5. I've been referred to an endo - waiting for an appointment. I'm underweight. I have started exercising everyday for 30min for the past 9 days. I'd rally like to know my options before meeting with endo so I at least know what to ask.

Questions:

How many carbs do you eat to gain weight?

If I restrict them to much then I feel the hypo symptoms even though leves in 70-85 range?

Can low carb help with this?

What do you snack on? I feel hungry almost all the time.

Thanks so much for your help!
Well, you sure ask some tough questions! First of all, yes low carb can help avoid blood sugar spikes/crashes. It does take a while to get used to low-carbing and not be hungry for some people, especially diabetics. Eating more veggies and fats helps. Maybe also fiber supplements or herbal appetite suppressants.

Many people feel hypo symptoms at 70-85. A 70 blood sugar for me turns me into a blubbering idiot with numb lips. 85-90 is as low as I can go without symptoms. Some people feel it less than 100. There are books you can read to explain why.

You say that in avoiding dairy and grains you started eating a lot more whole grains. That doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you meant that you are avoiding wheat and eat other grains instead? If so, it may be that you are celiac, and sensitive to gluten in other grains besides wheat. I'm sure nutritionists would disagree, but really you don't need to eat grains to be healthy. Meat, eggs, veggies, dairy (for those not sensitive), nuts, seeds can provide enough nutrition to stay healthy. Many people have cut out grains from their diet (I for one) and experienced better health than ever.

As for the amount of carbs that can be eaten to avoid weight gain, for me my upper limit is about 30 grams per day, but it's optimal to stay under 20. That number will be different for everyone. I believe that Atkins calls it your personal "critical carbohydrate level", and you find it by raising your carbs 5 grams at a time until you begin to gain weight (or something like that). Dr. Bernstein recommends 30 grams carbs a day for diabetics in general.

I hope that's somewhat helpful. Some stuff to think about, anyway.

Last edited by mermaid; 01-10-2009 at 07:11 PM..
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #712
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 30something
Stats: 188-150-140 surpassed goal x1 and now 10 lbs over
WOE: Diabetic Meal Plan (4-5 sm balanced low-mod carbs)
Start Date: Restart: September 2005
This is what worked for me: 62 yo t 2 diabetes since 2005. I thought I was 30+ lbs over wt, carried it fairly well as I am tall, started out as a consistent size 12 x 10+ yrs.........post hysterectomy, thought I would never lose wt, went to the gym 5 x wk, was toned but overwt, always on a diet, did Atkins 80% of the time and yo-yo'd when I went off it for vacations, holidays etc., then tried the Zone Diet 2004 to avoid taking statins (b/f diabetes), lipids went up rather than down, so I take zocor, dx'd with diabetes 10-05:

I lost 50+ lbs over 2 yrs, 26 lbs/year, slow but consistent, on 5 meal Diabetic Diet Plan, 5 small balanced meals, eat every 3-4 hours, carbs, protein, fat gm prescription was based on my wt, ht, activity level...................................

Never hungry, never full, blood sugar was stable (I take Metformin ER 1000 mg/day), if I eat more than 22 carb gms or eat carbs without protein and fat balance bs shoots up. Although wt may have contributed to diagnosis at age 60, my genetics are truly type 2 diabetes. I warded off diabetes for yrs following low carb, my younger thin sister is now insulin dependent diabetic. I want to not have to take insulin.

My goal is blood glucose under 140 3 hrs after I eat, usually bs is 101, 120 at 2 hrs on my small balanced meals.

In January 08 I stopped losing wt which was good as I was getting too thin, lost 3 sizes over the 2 yrs etc. I switched back to 3 low to mod carb balanced meals per day in Jan, just recently started to gain wt no apparent reason except 3 meals/day..............actually reduced daily carbs to 60 gms and upped the fat gms somewhat................. I stopped losing wt and maintained for 6-9 mos. Just started putting on wt. which I attribute to lack of balanced meals, more fat gms etc.

So I am adding back the frequent balanced small meals...........its hard to be disciplined to get all 5 meals in, so 4 sm meals is my target for 1 mo. putting everything I eat into ****** to keep me honest and on track and will increase to 5 sm. meals.

Non diabetic husband lost 36 lbs. in less than 1 yr. following 5 sm. balanced meals and stopped losing when he switched to 3 low-mod balanced meals.

Denise
30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #713
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannak12
Quote:
Everyone I know who has type II is overweight. I feel like something is off somewhere (besides my glucose levels...yes!!). I'm too old to be diagnosed with type I.
I have no idea you age but FWIW I was diagnoised a type 1 diabetic officially this past May I was 31 years old. My journy started around 2001 or so I started rapidly losing weight my starting was totally normal but I'd literly wake up 5lbs less than the day before no matter how much I ate. All the doctors figured I had an eatting disorder I was finially told I was glocuse intollorant and put on some orals they seemed to stablize me and my life moved on. I managed to have a child and put on some weight even to the point I wanted to loose a bit (around 140 at my pre diagnoisis peek) Then this past spring I seemed to get infection after infection finially a bad UTI that would NOT go away I lost a good deal of weight and grew so week I could hardly stand up. Testing was done and my sugars were fasting in the 600s and spiking in the 1000s. I was told type 2 given orals and sent on my way.. The orals did nothing I got sicker finially I ended up hospilized and proper testing was done. I tested postive for GAD antiboties giving me a correct type 1 LADA a slow onset type 1. I now manage it with insulin basal and bolus low carb diets and excerise.
Deannak12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:46 AM   #714
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow - I did not know sugar could go that high? -
Old 01-23-2009, 06:31 AM   #715
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deannak12 View Post
I have no idea you age but FWIW I was diagnoised a type 1 diabetic officially this past May I was 31 years old. My journy started around 2001 or so I started rapidly losing weight my starting was totally normal but I'd literly wake up 5lbs less than the day before no matter how much I ate. All the doctors figured I had an eatting disorder I was finially told I was glocuse intollorant and put on some orals they seemed to stablize me and my life moved on. I managed to have a child and put on some weight even to the point I wanted to loose a bit (around 140 at my pre diagnoisis peek) Then this past spring I seemed to get infection after infection finially a bad UTI that would NOT go away I lost a good deal of weight and grew so week I could hardly stand up. Testing was done and my sugars were fasting in the 600s and spiking in the 1000s. I was told type 2 given orals and sent on my way.. The orals did nothing I got sicker finially I ended up hospilized and proper testing was done. I tested postive for GAD antiboties giving me a correct type 1 LADA a slow onset type 1. I now manage it with insulin basal and bolus low carb diets and excerise.

Yes, you can go that high, and yes those levels are serious enough to warrant an immediate trip to the ER. Frankly, sending you on the way home with some oral medications with a fasting level of 600 was a poor medical decision. At that level you can become really sick and might even die. I am really happy you came through it.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #716
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Brian - is there a difference etween Metformin Hydrochloride tablets and my other bottle just says Metformin????

Anyone else's input?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #717
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
Brian - is there a difference etween Metformin Hydrochloride tablets and my other bottle just says Metformin????

Anyone else's input?
Metformin, Metformin RR, Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet. These are all names for metformin hydrochloride. The only major difference is between regular Met and Met extended release (ER or XR), where the extended release obviously works over a longer period of time. You can take the ER once or at most twice a day, but the regular should be spaced more over the day. There are some who say there is a difference in effectiveness (Dr. Bernstein prefers glucophage), but I don't think it is enough to worry about.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #718
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Brian - a big help!
Old 02-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #719
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NCgrl
Stats: 410/310/299
WOE: Diabetic 2/09
Start Date: restart 2/09
Hi everyone,
Just diagnosed with Type 2,for real this time.My doctor has kind of been on the fence about it.He finally did the blood tests and my A1c was 10.5.My blood sugar started out at 410.In the past three days,I've gotten it down by low carbing.It's running about 220 now.I've been put on metformin,glyburide and a statin for hdl.

I am bewildered and overwhelmed and have no idea how to handle this.I spend most of the time weeping,but that could be the blood sugar.I know I feel mean and irritable.I'm afraid if I go low carb with the meds I'm on,the doc will think it's the meds and I'll never get off.I'm already having severe gastro and nausea due to something.I just can't see the ADA way of eating working for me or anyone.

I guess I'm asking for a little reassurance that it's not the end of the world.I'll still be able to function and live my life.Thanks for the ear.It's a little like barking in the dark.

~And those who dream on beautiful nights
dream of beautiful things

~Hand in hand on the edge of the sand.
They danced by the light of the moon.
NCgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #720
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: 280/210.2/161
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Dukan 1/4/2014 Elim diet 4/27/14 Challenge 6/1/14
Hugs NCgrl, A new type 2 diagnosis can be quite a lot to process and understand. My health care provider had group education classes available that helped me get started in managing my bgs, so you might check and see if you have anything like this available to you. Your numbers are fairly high, but be reassured that you are on the right course to getting them back in control.

As far as the gastric upset, it could be the metformin. It can take a while for your body to get used to it. Some people like myself find that switching to an extended release metformin helps. So give yourself a little time to get used to it but if the symptoms continue to be intolerable, I would suggest talking to your Dr. about it. I find having some food in my stomach when I take the meds helps also.

Eating low carb should help bring your numbers down, so I wouldn't worry about what conclusions are going to be made later about the meds working for you. Just do what you need to do to get your numbers back in control for now. You can always start backing off the meds later if you are able to manage your blood sugar with diet and exercise--this has been the advice my Dr. has given me.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions. I've found this to be a very helpful thread.
RW City Sue is offline   Reply With Quote