Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #631
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Cheryl, I guess it is generic, it just says metformin er. I was thinking it was a generic of glucophage? Better check that I guess, but yes, it is working to help me lose weight along with doing LC. I don't watch calories at all and eat high fat, moderate protein and low carb. Not sure if it is the metformin or just keeping my blood glucose low, but I don't have nearly the appetite I used to and have lost 23 lbs easily since the beginning of June. That isn't super fast but I am 63 and have not been able to lose weight for several years on any diet.
Please control your blood sugar, my brother didn't and it is so sad to see the shape he is in today, and you really can't reverse it, you can only control it.
As one person said, would you rather control your diabetes or lose your feet???

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #632
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Buffy - thanks for answering! Oh, yes - I know how important it is to control it. It is always high in the morning. But goes back down later on? - I need to talk to my dr.
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #633
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dave L
I take 2 mg of amaryl with food in the morning, and 500 mg of metformin with supper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Soon, I drink coffee everyday. Dr. never mentioned getting off of it.

Dave, I forget what meds your are on, you said your Dr. said that if you lose 10 more lbs you might be off meds. I am finally able to lose weight now that I am on metformin so am in no hurry to get off meds, but, I still have around 60 lbs to lose. Hope it keeps working to allow me to lose that weight.
Dave L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:20 AM   #634
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay - I have really cut out my carbs for the past two weeks and it really shows with my blood sugar so maybe it is finally sinking in that this needs to be a way of life for me! Now if the weight would just come off
Old 11-06-2008, 06:24 AM   #635
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrianSCohen
Stats: 205/206/210
WOE: Modified Berstein 30-50g/day
Start Date: August 2006
Cheryl,

Getting your blood sugar under control is going to be a critical to weight loss. Metformin can really help. The ER version is extended release and most people find it easier to handle and you can take it just once a day. It is generic, Glucophage is the branded version.

I have high fasting blood sugars in the morning as well. Some people find a late night snack or a glass of red wine helps. You might try taking you metformin at night, that may help. Start your morning with a good breakfast. Make sure it contains a few carbs (a few), that will help you reset your blood sugar control for the day.

When your blood sugar is too high, your body releases extra insulin to deal with it and this just packs on the weight. It can also contribute to cravings when your blood sugar drops. Low carb really helps with blood sugar control. Get your blood sugar in order and I bet you start to see some marked progress on your weight.
BrianSCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #636
Big Yapper!!!!

Exactly what Brian just said in regards to losing weight. You have to keep it down consistently and then your body should start dropping some of the weight.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #637
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for much, Brian! That really helps me. I am taking metformin twice a day so I don't think it is ER but I go to the doctor on 11/14 and will see what he thinks. I know Dr. Atkins talks about metformin in his book also and how it should help in losing weight.

Buffy - Consistency is key and that is what I am aiming for - thanks so much for your help
Old 11-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #638
Big Yapper!!!!

could be ER Cheryl, I take it twice a day and mine is ER.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #639
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dave L
Cheryl

Everything Brian says is right. I do not take the ER version, and it does not bother me abit. I have lost 35 lbs since June 6th. You must stick to a 1500 calories a day diet with NO bread, pasta, or potatoes. (and you will lose weight) Oatmeal, eggs sausage, and a half cup of fruit is a great breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSCohen View Post
Cheryl,

Getting your blood sugar under control is going to be a critical to weight loss. Metformin can really help. The ER version is extended release and most people find it easier to handle and you can take it just once a day. It is generic, Glucophage is the branded version.

I have high fasting blood sugars in the morning as well. Some people find a late night snack or a glass of red wine helps. You might try taking you metformin at night, that may help. Start your morning with a good breakfast. Make sure it contains a few carbs (a few), that will help you reset your blood sugar control for the day.

When your blood sugar is too high, your body releases extra insulin to deal with it and this just packs on the weight. It can also contribute to cravings when your blood sugar drops. Low carb really helps with blood sugar control. Get your blood sugar in order and I bet you start to see some marked progress on your weight.
Dave L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #640
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrandNewMe2004
Stats: HW 330/CW 245.3/GW 150
WOE: LC/Primal
Just tested my fasting blood sugar. 161. I started back yesterday. Will be doing better today and from now on. Plus, testing blood sugar more. Dang. Wow. <--- Me in shock.
BrandNewMe2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #641
Big Yapper!!!!

Whoa Melissa, way too high. Have you been diagnosed diabetic, I assume? Are you on any meds? Sorry if you have posted this info, this thread is kind of off and on and I forget who has posted what.
You want to aim for under 110 in the AM, mine was 105 this morning.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 AM   #642
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Whoa Melissa, way too high. Have you been diagnosed diabetic, I assume? Are you on any meds? Sorry if you have posted this info, this thread is kind of off and on and I forget who has posted what.
You want to aim for under 110 in the AM, mine was 105 this morning.
Sorry - yeah, I'm Type 2. Was diagnosed in 2004. I've just gone up to my full dose of Metformin - 1000. I have a doc appointment next week. He may raise that or add something new... we'll see.
I do aim lower, but for right now I want under 100. I was doing well for a while - A1C's in the low 5's, but I've slacked on the eating and the weight loss. Will be doing better from now on.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #643
Big Yapper!!!!

Melissa, I finally worked up to my full dose which is 2000, took me 3 months and immodium along with it to get there but I have great control with that and careful eating.
Ok, I am relieved, you know what you need to do , just take care of yourself and do what you have to do to not see those kind of numbers often.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:03 AM   #644
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrianSCohen
Stats: 205/206/210
WOE: Modified Berstein 30-50g/day
Start Date: August 2006
Melissa,

If you were diagnosed in 2004, you know that a fasting of 160 is just too high. A dose of 1000 mg of metformin is not that high, your doctor can certainly increase it. The most important thing, as I am sure you know is to get your diet in order and get some exercise. Low carb is absolutely the best diet for diabetes.

I do hope you take this as a wake up call. You can get your diabetes under control, lose weight and be healthy. You just have to decide to do it. I know you can. Think about it, and please check in here to let us know how it is going.
BrianSCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #645
Major LCF Poster!

I had a really bad low-blood sugar episode the other night. If DH hadn't been there, I'd have passed out on the bathroom floor. That was my wake up call. The high fasting # was just the final nail in the coffin for my previous head-in-sand way of life. I have done LC off and on for 9 years now. No more off. I need this for life, or I'm going to die. No more bull-dookie.
I will definitely be back to report in. From past experience, my after-meals will be in the normal range pretty quickly, fasting #'s will take more time than that. And don't get me started on how long the 100+ pounds is going to take to leave. But, I'm in this for the long haul. "Weight Loss" or "Diabetes in remission" isn't the goal anymore. "Lifelong health" is my destination/path.
I hope I can keep feeling this strong...
http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com/
"I can have results or I can have excuses. I can not have both."
Old 11-12-2008, 07:41 AM   #646
Big Yapper!!!!

I read a hint, maybe on here, recently that said if you are having trouble with your morning numbers being too high, and I was, to take one of your metformins right before bed. So, I take 2 with my first meal of the day and 1 with my dinner, then 1 at bedtime. It seems to be working on keeping that first reading under 110 where it needs to be and I am seeing some readings under 100. I take 4 500 mg tablets a day.

As someone said, would you rather eat whatever you want, or, keep your feet???
Old 11-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #647
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I read a hint, maybe on here, recently that said if you are having trouble with your morning numbers being too high, and I was, to take one of your metformins right before bed. So, I take 2 with my first meal of the day and 1 with my dinner, then 1 at bedtime. It seems to be working on keeping that first reading under 110 where it needs to be and I am seeing some readings under 100. I take 4 500 mg tablets a day.

As someone said, would you rather eat whatever you want, or, keep your feet???
Hmmm.. Let me think about that... rofl

Yeah - I'd rather have my feet. I know I can make substitutions for nearly everything I could possibly want to eat, so it's low-carb and healthy and still tasty. My family loves the LC meals/snacks/treats I create. I even got DS to eat some dip I made w/ carrot sticks because we were out of crackers. Won't be buying anymore crackers. Will just have veggies sticks made ready.

Oh - and I did add the 2nd 500 pill to my night-time routine. I've always had trouble w/ my fasting #"s more than the others. I even did testing to see what happened. At 6am my #'s start climbing until I get some protein/fat in me. If I test at 6am, the fasting # isn't that horrible - but I don't get up at 6am. lol.

Would you raise your dose of Metformin on your own or get OK from the doc 1st?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 AM   #648
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buffy - do you get any side effects from 4 pills a day? That is what I need to do, I believe. I go to the doc on Friday. I have high fasting,too - I just did my bloodwork this am so we will see. Also, the way you are taking your pills sounds good to me too -it sounds like it would help me get it under control.

Always get great advice here!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #649
Big Yapper!!!!

Melissa, I would definitely get your doctors ok before raising it, although it seems from what my doctor told me and what I have read that 2000 is a dose that is pretty standard. I did ask my doctor why she wanted me on 2000 instead of the 1000 I was tolerating well at that time. She told me that since diabetes is a progressive disease, you want to get as good of control as possible and the 2000 dosage does that.
Cheryl, it took me 3 months to work up to that dosage, it did tear my stomach up at first. I MUST take it with food, except now I seem to tolerate that one at bedtime ok, but, I usually have had a snack within a couple of hours or less before bedtime. I didn't think I would ever adjust to it, stomach pain and constant running to the bathroom but I started taking an immodium tablet, or 2, with it and that helped. I get the generic version of those at Walmart. My dr. said that was fine and I am finding that as time goes on, I am only having to take 1 of them with my met, and I feel like I will gradually be able to cut those out. OTOH, my cousin, takes metformin, 1000 mg and has never had a side effect from it from day one.
I basically just eat 2 meals a day, plus usually a snack in the evening. My Dr. says she is ok with my schedule as long as it works for me. This is totally against what most recommend but I don't eat when I get up, I drink my beloved coffee and then eat my first meal about 11 or 12, then have dinner around 6-6:30. So, I take the first 2 met with my first meal, then 1 at dinner and 1 at bedtime.
Just test often, learn what you can eat, when to take the meds, you just really have to learn how your body works and go from there but all it takes is for me to be around my dear brother whose diabetes has progressed beyond help and know how important it is to control it. He really never understood or learned the importance of diet to control it and as a result he is in really bad condition and they can't seem to control it at all anymore.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #650
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Buffy - I printed out your reply and Brian's form last week and will bring to my doc!!! - SUPER
Old 11-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #651
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
I am obn 850 3 times a day. Anyone on that much?
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #652
Big Yapper!!!!

Is it the metformin ER Babsy? 2000 seems to work fine for me as long as I pay attention to what I eat. Hope your dose is working great for you.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #653
Major LCF Poster!

What do y'all do for the 'my blood sugar is coming down to normal and I'm going to go in the kitchen any second and shove something sugary in my face' cravings/feelings??
Old 11-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #654
Big Yapper!!!!

Melissa, when I am on this dosage of metformin and am keeping my blood sugar down, I don't get bad cravings anymore, in fact it has really reduced my appetite, which is a good thing, I just could not lose weight before I got on it. But, that being said, I usually keep some kind of treat made up that I can nibble on if I want it or have after a meal. Yesterday I made my old pumpkin pie, crustless of course and with AS's. I posted the recipe on the recipe help and suggestions board. I make LC brownies and freeze some of those, once in awhile I will have a Carbsmart ice cream bar. I keep dark chocolate around, a teeny bit will satisfy a chocolate craving. I think the key to doing well on LC is planning and you do have to do some cooking, it is so much easier to do high carb b/c there are so many processed foods out there to grab and go. But, not good for us diabetics. In a pinch, I will eat a atkins bar and I hear the shakes are good. Oh, another treat is a chocolate or pumpkin egg cream, if you hang out over on the recipe help board you will find more recipes and ideas than you ever have time to try.
Hope this helps, it is hard not to fall back into our high carb woe.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #655
Major LCF Poster!

I made it through yesterday and today has been a breeze compared to it. Readings from yesterday: 130, 121, 155. Forgot this morning. Will be doing my 2-hour soon.

Quick question: Turns out my strips are expired (says 2/08). How bad is that for accuracy? I'm thinking they are still ok because I tested DH's as well and it was very different than mine. I'd rather it be wrong in saying it's too high, than too low.
I do have a doc appointment next Wednesday and will be asking for a new scrip for strips.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #656
Big Yapper!!!!

Hang in there, keep it LC and the cravings will be much better. I can't answer on the strips, haven't had any yet that were expired.
Good luck with Dr. visit.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #657
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got back from my doc blood sugar still way too high so he put my on metformin 5x a day - wants to see me in 3 months and if he doesn't see a great improvement - it is insulin time
Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #658
Big Yapper!!!!

Cheryl, so that will be a total of 2500 mg a day? Please let us know how you do on that, and remember, what you eat makes a big difference to. You WOE says low calorie, do you do that, or are you doing somewhat of a LC woe? I have found that I can lose, and control the BS by doing around 50 a day or so, so you don't have to do super LC and yet you still get the benefit.
BTW, are you one of the gals in your avatar? :-)

Keep us updated, glad you went to the Dr.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #659
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buffy - Those are both my daughters - I wish I was that thin. No, I am about 40 lbs overweight. I have been trying for lc these days because everything I read says with diabetes that is the way to go. I think I was scared into losing the weight today - I do not want to take insulin - I worry about my pancreas I need to stop pretending this will all go away on its own. In your opinion, if I did lose my weight, it would have a big significance on my blood sugar level? - I guess I just have to do it and stop whining about it -

Cheryl
Old 11-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #660
Big Yapper!!!!

Cheryl, from all that I read, and hear, definitely losing the weight will help your blood sugar levels, but, you really have to get a handle on controlling it now, via LC eating and your meds. Then, if the weight loss follows, it should help too but you just have to get it under control. Read up on all the side effects of diabetes, it scares me, I hope it scares you too.
BTW, your daughters are beautiful.
And no, it will not go away, we are stuck with it, but, we can control it.