Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #601
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
[COLOR=Teal]Oh, that is so great! I'm glad to hear this... I haven't been to look for any yet so I'm still without.

One new thing I have been tickled about is pancakes. I have been craving them (I most often crave breads and such) and figured I'd have to make a trip to IHOP and just eat a little bit to finish off the cravings, BUT, I found some mix from Netrition!

[/COLOR]Big Train Low Carb Pancake and Waffle Mix
DaVinci Sugar Free Syrups[COLOR=Teal]

I bought the mix and the sugar free DaVinci pancake syrup... makes 3 large pancakes for a serving, and the syrup is thinner than regular syrups, but tastes just like the real thing to me. Perfect, and doesn't even touch my blood sugar!!!

Sorry, I know you posted about the Ezekiel bread (which I still want to try ) but I just had the pancakes this a.m. so it's fresh in my mind (and belly ).

Good to see you, NurseMonkee!! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Karyn
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Gray]
[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #602
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txtapper
WOE: Low Carb High Fat (Rosedale)
I've been skimming through the posts. Does anyone lift weights or do any kind of resistance training to develop more muscle? Isn't it supposed to be good to have more muscle because muscle feeds the glucose better than fat ....or something like that.

I am not diabetic but I can't get my fasting glucose levels below 103. I can keep them below 120 during the day even after I eat and sometime my level will be lower before I go to bed than in the morning. I don't eat real low carb but I do limit my grains and sugars. I may have to go on a strict low carb diet to get them under control. Not sure yet.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #603
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dee1904
WOE: JUDD
Glucose/Blood Sugar Question

I recently purchased a blood glucose monitor and noticed that my blood sugar upon waking in the morning is about 105.

It was 115, but since adding the anti yeast diet along with low carb it has gotten down to 105 and a couple of days it was 94 and 95.

Just wondering if this is a good number or should I be worried.

I also wonder if the yeast overgrowth and die off can cause blood sugar to go up a bit?
Dee1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #604
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cynda
I'm Diabetic and was wondering...

Is it ok for a Diabetic to take L'Carnitine to help the weight loss process. I have been on WW for over a year now, at first I lost the weight really fast and then it just stopped. I haven't lost anything in months now. Any suggestions and is it safe to take L'Carnitine to help speed up the process

Cynda
cynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #605
Senior LCF Member

Dee the numbers in the mid nineties are okay. The other ones not so much but I guess it would depend on your doctor. Mine was 103 when I had testing last october and they wanted me to have a fasting glucose where they give you the sugary drink every two or three hours and I didn't have it. Been trying to get my fasting level into the nineties since then and it has happened a time or two but I have to eat a strict low carb diet. Optimally I would prefer it be in the eighties but don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon. I'm not overweight either.......5'4" 115-120.

my age.....54. And I exercise four to six days a week.
txtapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #606
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Karyn for the information. I have started on the Rosedale diet and it has gotten my hunger on control. I eat less protein and carbs and much more fat....good kinds of fat found in nuts mostly.

As far as telling cynda to ask her doctor about l-carnitine it probably wouldn't do any good. He/she probably has not even heard of it. This has been my experience dealing with doctors. They are always twenty years behind the times. The Rosedale diet recommends l-carnitine but I don't take it....yet. Might consider it in the future.

Becky
Old 09-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #607
Are we there yet?

[COLOR=Green]Hey, Becky

I agree, it's rare to find a doctor that is up on supplements and various diet plans, etc., but since diabetics vary from one to another, not all of us benefit from what the next person is taking. Basically, I just mention people's doctor to be on the safe side...

My doc is pretty cool but she doesn't know much about supplements I've asked her about either. So I do my own research and check out what others have found by reading & posting online.

Good luck with your diet. I think controlling hunger is key and fats help out in a big way towards that.

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Old 09-30-2008, 03:45 AM   #608
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dave L
Morning highs

Alpha betic B Mulit Vitamin, number 1 nutritional supplement for people with diabetes - alphabetic.com

4 months ago I was 180-210 in the morning. After low carbs and losing 25 pounds, Im 95-105 in the morning, and my Doc said this is fine. I also take the alphabetic vitamin above.
I also went to a sinus doctor and use sprays for infection and I have been sleeping better. Thats when my highs went down. Dave.
Dave L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #609
Notorious Veteran who doesn't know when to stop!

Location: Where I wish I could see my reflection in the snow covered hills...
Gallery: Stormyskies
Stats: Too embarrassed to tell ya!
WOE: Mostly Atkins, but not as strick as I should be!!!
Start Date: Over and over and over and over...
I am in a dilema here and need some advice and I know there are a lot of smart people on this thread here.

I take Metformin and Glyburide and my blood sugars have been nearly perfect. If I've been unsually bad and eat a big Mexican food dinner, my blood sugars may go up to 160, but the very next day, they are right back to normal. Well, a few month ago, my Dr. said my thyroid was low, so she put me on a generic form of Synthroid. My hands began itching something fierce and broke out in a rash. She changed me to the true form of Synthroid, but the itching and rash continues. In fact, now the rash is on the back of my hands and upper thigh.

Next she put me on Armour, which is a natural form of thyroid and I've been on it for about a week. I've steadily seen my blood sugars go up. The last few days, I've been very careful with my food choices and last night my blood sugar reading was 218. This morning, it's 146. This is not acceptable! It doesn't make sense to me to take medication for my diabetes, only now to take another medication which is causing the other medicines to not work!

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and what you did. I'm not taking my thyroid pill today. If it's going to do this to me, then I'd rather have a slow thyroid. I mean...which is the lesser of two evils? Having good blood sugars or a working thyroid? I honestly don't know what to do here. I'm going to call the Dr. today, but I wanted to see if anyone here has had this experience. Thanks!
Stormyskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:35 AM   #610
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Stormy, I was on thyroid meds for many, many years before I became diabetic, so I can't help you from any personal experience, but did want to mention that I am on another diabetic mailing list and just recently people were talking about their thyroid meds raising thieir blood sugar. So, this is certainly something that happens and you and your doctor need to work together to address this. I did want to mention though that if you need thyroid supplementation, it is very improtant that you have it. Don't just not take it, work it through with your doctor. The thyroid is very important in many aspects for your health. Good luck with this!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #611
Notorious Veteran who doesn't know when to stop!

Location: Where I wish I could see my reflection in the snow covered hills...
Gallery: Stormyskies
Stats: Too embarrassed to tell ya!
WOE: Mostly Atkins, but not as strick as I should be!!!
Start Date: Over and over and over and over...
Thanks Buffy. I was doing a little reading just now on the internet and they're saying that it's one of the bad side effects from thyroid pills to have it raise blood sugars. I am really unhappy about this. I am definitely talking to the Dr. later on today.

When I was on Synthroid, I didn't notice a raise in my blood sugars, but this Armour has really shot it sky high. Maybe she'll try me on another brand of thyroid. :::sigh::: Darn it!!!
Stormyskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #612
Big Yapper!!!!

Just remember that you have to have proper thyroid supplementation, so don't give up. Low thyroid causes many, many problems, especially weight gain.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #613
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave L View Post
Alpha betic B Mulit Vitamin, number 1 nutritional supplement for people with diabetes - alphabetic.com

4 months ago I was 180-210 in the morning. After low carbs and losing 25 pounds, Im 95-105 in the morning, and my Doc said this is fine. I also take the alphabetic vitamin above.
I also went to a sinus doctor and use sprays for infection and I have been sleeping better. Thats when my highs went down. Dave.

Dave,
Does the alphabetic bottle list the ingredient amounts?
I went to their website and it didn't provide any info. Only lists what's included in each pill but not how much of it.

If it is listed, would you mind posting it here? If it's not too much trouble.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #614
Junior LCF Member

Alpha Betic mutli-vitamin

Manufacturer's Description:
This advanced formula delivers an optimal potency of vitamins, minerals and nutrients specifically needed by diabetics - including alpha lipoic acid, chromium, lutein, biotin and vanadium. Alpha Betic mutli-vitamin provides powerful antioxidant protection and helps support :< BR>-glucose metabolism
-cardiovascular health
-eye and nerve function.

I break them in half and take at breakfast & lunch

Supplement Facts
Serving Size:1 caplet
Servings per Container: 30

Ingredient Amount % Daily Value**
Vitamin A 2500 IU 50
Vitamin C 120 mg 200
Vitamin D-3 400 IU 100
Vitamin E 60 IU 200
Thiamin 1.5 mg 100
Riboflavin 1.7 mg 100
Niacin 20 mg 100
Vitamin B-6 2 mg 100
Biotin 300 mcg 100
Pantothenic Acid 10 mg 100
Calcium 100 mg 10
Iodine 150 mcg 100
Magnesium 200 mg 50
Zinc 15 mg 100
Selenium 70 mcg 100
Manganese 5 mg 250
Chromium 200 mcg 167
Potassium 100 mg 3
Alpha Lipoic Acid 100 mg
Lutein 1.5 mg
Vanadium 100 mcg

** Percent Daily Value is based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
† Daily Value not established.

Manufacturer's Directions:
For adults and children 12 years of age and older, take 1 caplet daily.

Last edited by Dave L; 10-01-2008 at 05:16 PM..
Old 10-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #615
Are we there yet?

[COLOR=Teal]Dave, I finally got myself some Ezekiel bread... It is delicious! but it spikes my blood sugar. At 2 hrs. past, my sugar was 174, which is lot higher than I like to end up.

I will eat it but it has to be sparingly. The 174 result I got was eating a sandwich w/2 slices toasted so maybe 1 slice will give me a better result.

Sure is yummy. Similar to an oatmeal bread taste, which I also love but no longer eat...

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Old 10-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #616
Junior LCF Member

Breads

https://www.foodforlife.com/procart_...D=27&do=detail

Did you get this one? They make a bunch of stuff. I have 2 pieces with peanut butter every morning, and 2 hours later I `m like in 90`s. With regular wheat bread I`m 130`s. Dave.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #617
Are we there yet?

[COLOR=Green]Dave, I think I got that brand... Mine was the orange package, which I think is their original bread. Like I said, loved the taste and I might even try some of the other flavors, but I can't eat much at a time.

You know, one of the differences (I bet there's a few ) between us is that you're taking diabetic meds, and I don't take anything. I used to handle more carbs better when I was on Metformin, but I've been off of it since July a year ago, and while I do fine eating lower carb, when I throw in something else like a bread product, it takes longer for my body to process it.

Some days I wish I was still taking the Met, but I eventually come to my senses and understand that it's GOOD not to be medicating myself, but to me, it gave me a better "cushion" to eating a bit more carb than I do without taking meds.

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Old 10-03-2008, 02:58 AM   #618
Junior LCF Member

Meds

Yes you are right, when I try skipping aday of meds mine goes back up, but is big difference with that bread and others.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:58 AM   #619
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
I am takin 24 units of lantus sometimes. Is it supposed to be taken at night? Cuz I notice it takes hours for it to start working.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #620
Are we there yet?

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Hi, Babsy

I just read a good explanation of how insulin works and why, etc. at Jenny's blog (she's BloodSugar101 here on LCF), and I'm going to post a direct link to it. I don't use insulin myself but I bet it would give you some answers to your questions, especially if what you're using doesn't seem to be helping enough. She mentions Lantus specifically.

[/COLOR]Diabetes Update: Making Insulin Work
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]
Karyn
[/COLOR]
Old 10-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #621
Blabbermouth!!!

DAVE - Thanks for posting the alpha-betic info. I compared it to my flintstones (LOL, Yes, flintstones) and its a lot similar, but the alpha-betic has a couple of addictional ingredients. I think I will pick up a bottle and give it a try.

KARYN - Bummer about your sugar going up with the bread. I've only bought it once and I am already in love with it. It luckily didn't raise my sugar too much. The only thing is that the bread spoils real fast. Someone told me that you have to keep it in the freezer. Not really into frozen bread! LOL.

Hope all are doing well.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #622
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMonkee View Post
KARYN - Bummer about your sugar going up with the bread. I've only bought it once and I am already in love with it. It luckily didn't raise my sugar too much. The only thing is that the bread spoils real fast. Someone told me that you have to keep it in the freezer. Not really into frozen bread! LOL.

Hope all are doing well.
[COLOR=Olive]
I bought mine out of the freezer and have been keeping it in the fridge... So far so good as I am toasting it when I do have it. I never kept bread in the fridge before 1) preferring it room temp, and 2) I really thought it made it go stale faster. The packaging on the Ezekiel bread did suggest fridge or freezer so I figured I'd give it a try--considering it is a suggestion of the manufacturer and they might know their products better than me.

I do enjoy it, just will eat it sparingly...

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Old 10-06-2008, 03:55 AM   #623
Junior LCF Member

alpha-betic info

The alpha-betic vitimin will help lower your blood sugar.
The bread is sent to stores frozen, but once you buy it, you keep in the refridgerator. a loft will last 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMonkee View Post
DAVE - Thanks for posting the alpha-betic info. I compared it to my flintstones (LOL, Yes, flintstones) and its a lot similar, but the alpha-betic has a couple of addictional ingredients. I think I will pick up a bottle and give it a try.

Hope all are doing well.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #624
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Dave.
I added it to my list of things to buy.
I haven't really been checking my blood sugar lately.
Got tired of sticking my finger a million times.
I have to get back on track though.
Back to healthy habits and checking regularly.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #625
Junior LCF Member

A1C

A1C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got mine back, and was 5.5 and BFS was 115, my doctor said this was great. I see some say under 100 FBS is what it should be, but my doc said 120 or less is fine? 3 1/2 months ago it was 6.9 A1C with 180 FBS. He said lose 10 more pounds, and keep with diet, and in 3 months should be off all meds? Any thoughts?

Last edited by Dave L; 10-18-2008 at 12:33 AM..
Old 10-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #626
Senior LCF Member

Dave that sounds like a great improvement. Yes most docs or most health professionals want it under 100. some even recommend 90 or under.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #627
Junior LCF Member

a1C

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtapper View Post
Dave that sounds like a great improvement. Yes most docs or most health professionals want it under 100. some even recommend 90 or under.

I hope it will get that low at next time I test. Thanks Dave.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #628
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
What do you do about caffine have you been told diabetics shouldnt drink caffine. What do you think and what do you do?
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:18 AM   #629
Big Yapper!!!!

Soon, I drink coffee everyday. Dr. never mentioned getting off of it.

Dave, I forget what meds your are on, you said your Dr. said that if you lose 10 more lbs you might be off meds. I am finally able to lose weight now that I am on metformin so am in no hurry to get off meds, but, I still have around 60 lbs to lose. Hope it keeps working to allow me to lose that weight.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:51 AM   #630
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Buffy - are you on the generic metformin? That is what I am taking since Januvia is so expensive but Januvia worked much better for me. Do you feel like it is helping you lose weight?

I go to my doctor on Nov 14 - My blood sugar is still too high. I take a glimepride in am and 2x a day metformin??? I need to lose this weight, don't know when I am going to realize this and really stick with it???
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote