Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #571
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rickie
Stats: 210/204/140
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: August 2008
Hello , Everyone.......New to this group , and would love any help I can get...... I am a type 2 diabetic with the insulin levels apparently of a type 1.....Have had two children 10 years apart and with both pregnancies, I have had Gestational Diabetes....since 2002 I have lost 100lbs... I now am at a stand still for the best part of this year..........It sucks !!!! I have just started running, god help me ...... anyways.....I am on 16 units of insulin at night before bed,and still on orals, although I have now been told I can come off the Metformin ( dam thing , hurts the belly ) lol.

Hope to find some great support and a kick in the rear here !:blush:
Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #572
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Hi, Rickie and

I think you're in a great place for info, support, folks who know what it's like where you were, are, etc., and while we don't kick each other in the pants so much we definitely have a lot of things to share & learn from each other.

Settle in and read some of the posts in this thread and others, lots of folks (self included) landed here looking to lose weight and get our blood sugar in better shape. If you have questions or comments, jump on in!

Looking forward to seeing you around LCF and hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Karyn
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Gray]
[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #573
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Hi, I was diagnosed last October and was put on Metformin 2x daily. Seems to be working pretty good ....but I have a question.

I've seen where some have abdominal pain taking metformin. Did your pain start at the beginning of your taking the med or did it come on later? I'm asking because I've been experiencing unexplained upper abdominal pain off and on for the past couple of months. My doctor had me take an ultrasound and an upper GI to rule out gall bladder, ulcers, etc. Came back fine. Since I've been on the metformin for 7-8 months prior to the pain would be this be normal?

I go back to my endo next month for my regular check up and will also ask her about this but just curious about your experiences if you don't mind telling me.

Thanks a bunch and have a great day. (Raining here in Houston)
Carolyn
Old 08-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #574
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for the great welcome !!!! My stomach upset with Metformin has been from the onset. Yes it causes some pain, to the point where it was becoming hard to function. My Doctor said he has many people complaining about Metformin. I was running to the bathroom constantly. It is definitely worth mentioning to your doctor.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #575
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
I also take Metformin, just worked up to the dose Dr. wants me on, 2000 MG per day. I am having to take Immodium with it to offset the diarrhea.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #576
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Okay - when you say metformin - it is the same as I am taking which is Janumet? - right? so your only choice is to live with this stomach pain? -

Can I ask this, too? - when do you take the pills (times of day) - he has me taking 1000 mg and also one pill - glimepiride per day but I am not sure best time to take these pills. I also take cholestorol which I try and take at night?? -

I so hate all these pills - I don't feel 100% when I take all these

Also, I like a glass or two of wine at night sometimes - I suppose I am not to do that either?

Any help you wonderful guys can give!!

Cheryl
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #577
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dave L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
Okay - when you say metformin - it is the same as I am taking which is Janumet? - right? so your only choice is to live with this stomach pain? -

Can I ask this, too? - when do you take the pills (times of day) - he has me taking 1000 mg and also one pill - glimepiride per day but I am not sure best time to take these pills. I also take cholestorol which I try and take at night?? -

Also, I like a glass or two of wine at night sometimes - I suppose I am not to do that either?

You should call your doctor to find this out! Dave.
Dave L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #578
Notorious Veteran who doesn't know when to stop!

Location: Where I wish I could see my reflection in the snow covered hills...
Gallery: Stormyskies
Stats: Too embarrassed to tell ya!
WOE: Mostly Atkins, but not as strick as I should be!!!
Start Date: Over and over and over and over...
Quote:

Cheryl, when I first started taking Metformin, I also had painful stomach trouble. It lasted a few months. I just kept on with it and finally I 'm not used to it, but I almost quit because I didn't think the pain would ever go away.

The Dr had put me on Byetta, which actually caused my blood sugars to rise! Next, she put me on Glyburide and as long as I eat at least 3 meals a day, my blood sugars balance out and I stay about inthe 100 to 125 ranger. I'm happy with that, but sometimes, if I revert back to my old eating habits of eating a big meal and then not eating for several hours, my blood sugars will take a big dip and have went down as low as 30. Not good! The glyburide has done wonders for me, but it works best if you eat several small meals a day. Just wanted to jump in here and say that. Good luck.
Stormyskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #579
Big Yapper!!!!

Not sure if the metformin is the same as Janumet, google it or like Dave said, call your dr. I asked my Dr. about drinking wine while having diabetes and being on metformin, she said in moderation, such as 1-2 glasses. I do sometimes drink more than that but it usually makes me feel bad if I do, so I am doing that less and less.
I was told to take 1000 mg of metormin with my morning meal and 1000 at night. It still bothers my tummy but plan on taking it until I talk to Dr. next visit, which is in Oct.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #580
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gumdrops
Stats: 178/162/130 less than 20% BF
WOE: low, low carb Diabetic
Start Date: Feb 29 2003 restart 08-01-08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butternut View Post
Lantus users: How many units are you taking?
10u once daily
gumdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #581
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for your help and input - I know I should ask my dr. Just wanted other opinions

Buffy - yeah, I 'll have a glass or two but I am slowly elminating it. The Janumet does say 500 mg of metformin and I am suppose to take two. Preferably with food. My blood sugar is down - I have been over 200 in the mornings and this morning was 136 so it is working. I have only been on this for like the past two weeks so we will see.

Stormy - thanks for answering me - we are suppose to eat small meals anyway so that makes sense. I always feel awful if I eat a huge meal - all bloated and yech - now if I could just make them all lc, maybe I'd actually lose a pound
Old 08-26-2008, 11:33 PM   #582
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Dr started me on Januvia two days ago. My numbers are already soooo much better. I feel ok, so far, also. Anybody had trouble with Januvia? I've read a lot of negative side effects and a few good posts.
I did notice a cough yesterday and I am at work and coughing occasionally.
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 AM   #583
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Butternut - I am noticing a cough once in a while, too? I am also on it and my numbers are much better but I am worrying about side effects.
I guess the good outweighs the bad?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:37 AM   #584
Junior LCF Member

Well.....just finished my first week off, of metformin......to see if it helps the stomach problems, not only am I not running to the bathroom every half hour, but I have lost 6 lbs this week !....Is there a connection , because other than taking up running, I have not change much, although my appetite is clearly less.................This is the first jump in weight since the end of March.....5 more lbs then for the first time in 16 years, I will be in onederland !!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #585
Big Yapper!!!!

Two questions:
Anyone notice swelling with Januvia or have I just eaten a lot of salt this week (I have)?

Do you think this statement is true?:
"The more insulin you take, the hungrier you will be"
Old 08-29-2008, 06:04 AM   #586
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Butternut - a friend a mine had swollen lips and face with Januvia and had to stop.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #587
Big Yapper!!!!

Is it power of suggestion or am I really starving for carbs while taking Januvia?????
Old 09-08-2008, 06:51 AM   #588
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay - I went to Walmart and they wanted $170.00 per month for Januvia so that is not going to happen
Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #589
Junior LCF Member

glimepiride

CHERYL, how much glimepiride (mg) are you taking with it a day?
Old 09-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #590
Are we there yet?

Quote:

Okay - I went to Walmart and they wanted $170.00 per month for Januvia so that is not going to happen
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Ouch! I forget, did you say you didn't have insurance?

Is there no generic for it?

Check out their website and see if they have a link there where you can contact them for help in getting/continuing their product.

How about this? [/COLOR]Prescription Assistance for JANUVIA™ (sitagliptin) tablets[COLOR=RoyalBlue]

I haven't tried any of the prescription assistance programs myself, but I would hope that if they're offering, anyone could benefit from applying. Also check out BloodSugar101's site because she has some info on similar programs, if I remember correctly.

Good luck!

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 AM   #591
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey, all! - I got my doctor to get me a generic form of metformin and it was $4.00 at Walmart - big difference!!!

Karyn - thanks for all your help - I probably make too much money for any kind of assistance and I do have Blue Cross but I have to meet my Calendar Year Deductible first with my pills. So I will try with this metformin - and see.

Dave - I take one pill of glimpiride a day, not sure of mg and pills are at home.

Butternut - I have the opposite with Januvia - I find my appetite is not as bad?

Ok, since you guys are all so wonderful with help - this morning I drank two big cups of coffee, with half and half and sweet low, - nothing to eat from 7 pm last night and my sugar was 208 - was it the coffee? and is that considered fasting? after the coffee?

Have a super day and I am so thankful that Huricane Ike escaped us and pray for those Texans!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 AM   #592
Are we there yet?

[COLOR=Green]Hi, Cheryl

I never took any other meds except the Metformin, and it seemed to help me with appetite and weight loss. A few stomach upsets in the beginning, nothing major when I took it with food, and even that passed after a few months. Good luck on it.

As for your reading this a.m... I didn't read backwards to see what kinds of results you normally have but if you'd eaten nothing since the night before at 7p then I would absolutely call that "fasting," and 208 sounds very high. One thing to note though is what your food was like the day/night before or even a few days before. If I'd had a high carb food before bedtime, I might not expect 208 the next morning, but I'd certainly expect it to be higher than usual.

I control my diabetes strictly with diet and have for a year now. My meter rarely reads over 180-ish but those are always when I've had what I call my no-no foods, and I try to limit those when I do have them. If I indulge, however, I will see higher results for hours afterward, and it will affect my results for a couple days more even if I jump right back into LC after my HC meal.

What type of meter do you use? Are your strips fresh, I think the guideline is to use an open vial within a month's time... Did you wash your hands--could there have been any food residue on your finger where you tested? Always make sure your hands are clean whether it's from soap & water or with an alcohol swab.

And lastly, if I saw such an abnormal-seeming reading (do you keep a running log of your results, time of day tested, and foods/meds?) then I would have tested a second time. Occasionally I am POSITIVE my reading shouldn't be what it says, and for some odd reason it is off. In those cases, I will "waste" another strip to be sure. (I am sometime wrong but not all the time... Sometimes a wrong result happens. )

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Old 09-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #593
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks so much Karyn, - no, I have always been high in morning but since taking the Januvia, it was much better - but I will try in a little while again and see what it is.............
Old 09-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #594
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissyC
Stats: 192/184/115
WOE: Atkins/diabetic diet
Hello. I'm a new member and have been diagnosed diabetic about a month ago. Started on Metformin today, and am on a low dose of Lisinopril for kidneys. My doctor said they are leaking protein. My question is: If my kidneys are leaking protein, should I be eating protein? I'm not a doctor, but it would seem that I shouldn't overload my kidneys with protein if they aren't processing it. What do you think?

I'm doing low carbs, and high protein diet, like Atkins. I eat Atkins stuff, drink soy shakes, etc, and have vitamin shakes.

Thank you for your opinions.
MissyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:50 PM   #595
Are we there yet?

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Hi, Missy... welcome to LCF!

I don't have any specific answers for you because I don't know them, but in case you want to try some other places for info, you might post on the message boards at dLife.com as well as here.

It's for and about diabetics there, and also a registered nurse monitors the boards and addresses people's questions. If no one here knows how to answer, I'll bet she can be a big help. I have often found answers there I couldn't find here...

Good luck, and definitely keep on learning. The more you know about yourself and diabetes, the better you can control how it affects your body.

Karyn
[/COLOR]

Last edited by Jewelthief; 09-09-2008 at 10:52 PM..
Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #596
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissyC
WOE: Atkins/diabetic diet
Thank you Karen. I'll check it out.

This is an awesome web site! Doing what we're doing is tough and it's nice to know there are supportive people out there. My husband works away, and is gone most of the time. I'm going through this major life change alone, and am trying to stay positive. Getting on this site, and being able to communicate about it, with others who are going through it, will help, a lot.

Best wishes for all of you.

Missy
MissyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #597
Junior LCF Member

Stats ?

WOE: Atkins/diabetic

What do the stats mean under members names? Is this meter readings on meds 2 hours after meals?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #598
Big Yapper!!!!

Dave, they usually mean starting weight/current weight/goal weight.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #599
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave L View Post
WOE: Atkins/diabetic

What do the stats mean under members names? Is this meter readings on meds 2 hours after meals?
[COLOR=Teal]Hi, Dave, haven't seen you in awhile!

Stats are something you can edit on your own profile as well... When we see a person's numbers it typically means weight. As in starting weight/present weight/goal weight, which is what they hope to weigh eventually. WOE = way of eating, which can be many different things for folks, like Atkins, low carb but no specific plan, South Beach, WW (Weight Watchers), etc.

Not everyone who uses this message board (LowCarbFriends.com) are diabetic, but pretty much everyone in this diabetes-specific thread either are diabetic or know someone who is, and they want to help them be healthier. A lot of us have found LCF by searching for information on diabetes and controlling our blood sugar, and eating low carb is often an excellent way to get our numbers lower and our bodies experiencing fewer of the debilitating effects of diabetes.

To edit or add your own stats, look above for User Control Panel, and then select Edit Profile. Remember to save your changes, and then when you come back to the message boards your new stats will be under your user name on the left.

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Old 09-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #600
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelthief View Post
[COLOR=Indigo]
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Hi, Dave!

No, I haven't and I've been curious about it too... From that link you gave me, there are a dozen local places where I can buy some--I think I will.

I have tried sourdough bread that doesn't always raise my blood sugar, but it seems to depend on who makes it... When I get it at a favorite restaurant (Firebird's), it doesn't affect me much, but when I buy it from a store bakery, it affects me more so. I'm guessing some use different recipes or ingredients, I don't know.

But, thanks for that link. I'll let you know what I find.

How are you doing this week? Still seeing those wide-swinging results?

Karyn[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

I finally picked some EZEKIEL BREAD at Trader Joes and so far am happy to report that it doesn't raise my blood sugar. I still limit myself but it's nice to know that I can have a sandwich without my sugar going through the roof!

Last edited by Monkee; 09-19-2008 at 02:03 PM..
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote