Old 04-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Narcosis
Stats: 5"10 178/166/145
WOE: Bernstein Diabetic Diet
Start Date: March 18, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMZELLE
Eloise, start with Chapter 10 of the book online, it's how to eat and many tips, and thats the most important and immediate reading to do FIRST. I can't find the link but you'll find it when getting there, or maybe Narcosis has it.
Here's Chapter 10:

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com...hapter10.shtml

I think everyone low-carbing should read this book.
Narcosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: eloise
Stats: 316/265/170
WOE: lowcarb most of the time
Start Date: oct. 09 started again
I am testing twice a day, but my blood sugars fluctuate a lot. They are always high in the morning, go down a little before lunch, stay around the same before dinner. My blood sugar was 270 when I was first diagnosed, they are below that now, Average for a month is around 146. I have been on induction for 2 months now and I guess I will read the book you suggested. I had a nutritionist, but she is so against Atkins, I will not see her again. Told her that Atkins is the only wol I can do. Once I start eating a lot of carbs, I want more. She could not understand that. Will discuss changing meds with Dr. Have been on Amaryl for less than 2 months. Thank you for your advice!!!!!!!!
eloise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #33
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: MANHATTAN NYC - click on ''MAMZELLE" directly below for more photos.
Gallery: MAMZELLE
Stats: LIFETIME MANTENANCE
WOE: ATKINS "ORIGINAL" DIET - why tamper with success!!
Start Date: as Patient when the Maestro's FIRST book came out
Eloise... Read about Dawn Phenomenon. There could be several reasons for being high mornings. Also.. you say you test twice per day but above indicates 3 times. Aren't you testing after meals to see how you're processing foods? That's important. Test one hour after if testing in fingertips, and wait two hours if anywhere else. At the beginning it's important to monitor yourself to see where you're at with this and how your body is processing foods, then when you get a handle on how things affect you, you can taper off a little. "IF" you're not restricted with strip use... try if you can, to test morning fasts, before and after meals [to monitor possible spikes from the foods you're eating] then before bed. Don't listen to the nutritionist if she's radically against what YOU know is wrong for your body. There are MANY schools of thought out there, and your body is the only voice you should listen to by your home tests, doctors lab results, and scale, and MOST of all... how you feel.

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 04-16-2006 at 08:42 PM..
MAMZELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:41 PM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Anyone ever tried Glyset 25 mg three times per day ( before meals ) to slow absorption of carbs? Slows the blood sugar rise after meals. I am now trying to do without the Glucophage to see if that helps my right upper rib area discomfort.
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:44 AM   #35
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Never tried that but many drink a tblspn or 2 of Braggs vinegar mixed with water 10 min before meals and it helps. It didn't do anything for me, but others have success.

BTW, N, [sorry forgot spelling lol] Thanks for posting chapter 10 link. Sometimes my dialup laptop gives me trouble navagating. :-(

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 04-17-2006 at 05:48 AM..
Old 04-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloise
I am testing twice a day, but my blood sugars fluctuate a lot. They are always high in the morning, go down a little before lunch, stay around the same before dinner. My blood sugar was 270 when I was first diagnosed, they are below that now, Average for a month is around 146. I have been on induction for 2 months now and I guess I will read the book you suggested. I had a nutritionist, but she is so against Atkins, I will not see her again. Told her that Atkins is the only wol I can do. Once I start eating a lot of carbs, I want more. She could not understand that. Will discuss changing meds with Dr. Have been on Amaryl for less than 2 months. Thank you for your advice!!!!!!!!
Eloise, I suggest that your discuss with your doctor your desire to be on a medication that reduces insulin resistance rather than stimulates your pancreas to produce more insulin. Unfortunately, many health plans prescribe drugs based on what is cheapest rather than what is best. There may be only a dollar or two difference in cost and the plan will prescribe the cheaper drug. You want to preserve your pancreas beta cells first and foremost. Making some insulin is 1000% better than making none like me or other Type 1s. Injecting a little bit of insulin is better than over-stimulating your beta cells, but controlling by diet alone is the optimal way to go if possible.

Excess protein is converted to glucose so you don't want to overeat protein. It is better to eat more fat as it bypasses insulin. Mamzelle's advice on how to check your BG levels is spot on. Walmart's brand of meter, Relion, works with their strips which are considerably less than brand names. It is as accurate as the One-Step Ultra and the strips are less than half the cost.

A lot of doctors don't take Type 2 diabetes as seriously as they should. An average of 147 is still high and you are incurring damage to your organs with your BGs at that level. Type 2 has become such an epidemic that doctors have really lowered their standards in what they consider high BG levels.

Good luck and keep on low-carbing for both weight loss and your health.

Cheers,

Susan
Old 04-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: eloise
Stats: 316/265/170
WOE: lowcarb most of the time
Start Date: oct. 09 started again
Thank you for all of the info. I have ordered a couple of Dr. Bernsteins books. I would really like to just forget about taking the medication and continue low carbing and exercise.
eloise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #38
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

butternut..... here's the scoop on Glyset from a friend on these boards who I asked [for my own information too in case I ever have to give into medication of any sort]....>

Glyset is the same class of drugs as Acarbose (Precose), and I've seen a lot of posts from people who weren't happy with that type of med. Causes diarrhea, terrible gas, and messes with the stomach, even more than Metformin. Both Glyset and Acarbose are now being prescribed for women with PCOS (as an alternative to Metformin), so I have read some experiences with it. Here is someone's experience with Glyset:

I stopped this drug about three weeks ago due to the horrible gas side effects. I think the drug was really helping me but am unwilling to continue to blow everyone out of the house!!!!! IT WAS HORRIBLE! I haven't seen my endo again and will tell him why I chose to stop it on my own. What a miserable experience. THe gas never went away from December through March. I wish I give you better news! Blessings!

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 04-17-2006 at 05:56 PM..
Old 04-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloise
Thank you for all of the info. I have ordered a couple of Dr. Bernsteins books. I would really like to just forget about taking the medication and continue low carbing and exercise.
It may be a case where your low-carb diet is helping your BG levels more than your medication. If you are monitoring your BG levels closely you can try and cut back on the meds and see what happens to your numbers. If you cannot control your BG through diet alone (meaning you don't have enough beta cells left to make the insulin you need), you may benefit from injecting a long acting insulin like Lantus at night. Insulin is a natural hormone, not something that stimulates or interferes with other hormones to produce results. I like Lantus because it is very flat and doesn't cause hypogylcemia when fasting. I also take a fast acting insulin to correct high BG levels quickly. In some ways, type Is on insulin are in better control of their metabolism. I can take my 145 BG level down to 90 in an hour and my Lantus will keep it there. It is something to keep in mind if all else fails. It is not the end of the world like many Type 2s believe. It can actually be quite liberating to be able to control your BG levels with a unit or two of injected insulin at any time you need to.

Take care and I hope you can get your levels in control with diet and weight loss. I think the weight will come off once the over-stimulation of your pancreas stops.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:30 PM   #40
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Hi, everyone. I'm Karyn.

(This is long, I'm sorry!)

I am new to your website and have not yet begun to officially follow any of the low carb plans, but I am leaning more and more towards Atkins or a variation of it the more I read. I found LCF a few days ago and have read so many posts that many of your faces and names are familiar to me now, and I figured it was time I stopped lurking and said 'hello.'

I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic December 2005 and I didn't get into a class until March (where nutritionists gave me menus and a BG meter and taught me how & why it would soon become my new best buddy).

The first few weeks after learning I was diabetic, I really didn't do much more than quit drinking my beloved Cokes (isn't that a sad thing to say, I still miss 'em sometimes too). Within a few weeks I'd gotten my head together and put myself on a "diet," and I knew I was eating better than I had since my teens so I was content. It didn't seem to be as bad as I'd thought, "being diabetic," and I was noticing some looseness in my clothes. Bonus!

Until I got the meter and could SEE that I'd been way off in my thinking.

When I was diagnosed, my A1c was 7.8 and my cholesterol numbers were too high on the bad and too low on the good. She put me on Metformin and Lovastatin right away and said the very least I needed to do was quit the sodas or there'd be nothing she could do for me. I'd weighed the previous July and came in at 191. I figured by December, I was 195 easily and it could even have been more, I have no way of knowing.

I'm in a wheelchair due to muscular dystrophy (not MS) and unable to weigh unless I can use one of those bariatric scales my chair will roll up onto. I found one in my neurologist's clinic, which is how I finally got to weight myself after more than 15 years! (I weighed 95 pounds when I graduated HS in 1981... You can probably imagine how dismayed I was to find [well, more like had it confirmed] that I'd grown a whole other PERSON in my body's skin over the years.)

So. My average BG readings began at about 172 (not bad by some but I was so sure I'd been doing well. And starting out at 172, you might also realize it didn't take much at all to send my BG escalating after a meal).

It still took me a few more weeks to understand that it was the carbs that kept sending my numbers up. In class, they kept talking portions and calories and fat, and I had been DOING ALL of that since putting myself on a diet. I couldn't see what else to do short of starvation, and I began eating less and less, trying to combat the numbers.

After reading the experiences of so many people here, I have begun making some changes already, and I am being rewarded for it with better numbers.

Thanks to seeing actual results and lowering my BG average over the last 3 months, at my March check up, all my numbers were better! My A1c was 5.5 this time and my cholesterol numbers had all come down, including my BP. The good cholesterol that's supposed to be higher wasn't as high as she'd like, but my doctor praised all my efforts and said I'd done good! Yay.

In the last few days of more closely monitoring my carbs, I've been seeing numbers no higher than 125 at 2 hours past a meal, and my average since March has dropped to < 123. That's not all low carb, no, but if I commit to doing the low carb, I think the numbers will drop even more and I could potentially be off medication by year's end. I can certainly hope anyway!

I bought the book by Dr. Ezrin that uses low carb and low fat, but I'm not convinced yet. I have yet to read Dr. Atkin's book to compare, but over the next few days and weeks, I'll be reading and deciding which way to go.

You all inspire and motivate me to get on-track and GO FOR IT.

Just wanted to say 'hi' and well, add to the thread, LOL. I'm mostly wandering the site reading willy-nilly and I'm with Mamzell, the search engine could use a little boost.

I'll probably still lurk a lot but I am so thankful you all are here for me to learn with.

Take care,
Karyn

P.S. Oh! And I forgot to mention I got to weigh again last week, and I have lost 22 pounds since January!
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:12 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Kayrn! I am happy to see that your A1C is falling. I would suggest reading Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution - you can read most of it online for free:

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/readit.shtml

His low carb plan is geared for diabetes and since he has had Type 1 diabetes for 50 years and is in excellent health, you can be sure that it is safe and that it works! I am also a type 1 and am now running pretty normal BG levels.

I would not go low fat. There is a lot of SUPRESSED research debunking the uselessness of low fat diets for preventing heart disease. On Dr. Bernstein's site you can read "The Soft Science of Dietary Fat," written by a well-known science writer which debunks the low-fat WOE we've all been gaining weight on. The calories of dietary fat do not need insulin to be used as energy.

Keep posting your progress. We don't have enough diabetic posters contributing.

Cheers,

Susan
Old 04-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Fasting Experiment

I'm trying to nail down my basal insulin dosage in the daytime so I will be fasting until dinner each day for a couple of days. I could NEVER do this if it weren't for low carb as I would still be taking NPH and getting unwanted peaks and have to "feed" them food. I'm posting it here to keep myself accountable and I tend to run on autopilot when it comes to food.

Today I woke up and my fasting BG was 137. At bedtime my BG was 92. The increase is due to the Dawn Phenomenon most prominent in Type 1 diabetes. Upon arising your liver deactivates a lot of hormones including insulin. It also sends some glycogen out to stimulate your pancreas to release more insulin. Since mine doesn't make any I get a rise. Most type 2s make enough insulin to prevent this. The liver doesn't know that my beta cells don't make any insulin so I have to take fast-acting Humalog to counter it. I injected 3 units of Humalog and had coffee with aspartame tablets (no sugars, no carbs). I injected a 6 unit basal dose of Lantus. This insulin should keep my BG levels within 20 points if I'm taking the right amount.

At 11:00 a.m. my BG level was 102. My Humalog has just about stopped working so any increase and decrease can be attributed to Lantus.

It's 12:30 p.m. and by now, I would have take my lunch bolus of Humalog to cover my lunch. I haven't eaten or taken any more fast-acting insulin and my BG level is up to 141. I am not going to correct anything until diinner nor do any exercise this afternoon in order to remove all variables. My BG may decrease because of the Lantus or it could possibly increase if I haven't taken enough Lantus.

To be continued....
Old 04-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6-14-03
Welcome Karyn

And congrats on getting your BS down like you have. I strongly support the idea that Atkins is an awesome plan for diabetics. I am type 2 also, and know that panicky what in the world can I eat now feeling when first diagnosed. It took me a couple years before I stumbled on Atkins, and during those 2 years my sugar levels were pretty well controlled with the metformin I was taking. But I slowly started eating worse and worse when I saw it didn't really mess up the levels too much. Then one of my best friends DIED from diabetic complications.
I started Atkins in June of '03, and my blood tests, including the a1c, have just gotten better and better. I was slowly taken off the meds, and with just dietary changes maintained A1c of about 5.2, and lowest cholesterol of anyone I know. With the good cholesterol going up each time. I feel like Atkins has saved my life, and now I am actually grateful that I became diabetic, because otherwise I'd stll be on the downhill ride toward worse health.
I also have hypothyroid prolbems, and am currently working with my doctor to find the right replacement dosage for me. This has caused my weight to increase over the past year without having changed my diet or exercise (except increaseing the exercise). Very frustrating, but I didn't want to make any changes since it was doing so great for the diabetes. Recently I have been reading more about the BFFM plan (info under the muscle matters board) and have started making some changes in that direction, and am finding my blood sugars are staying stable and I am finally starting to lose again.
Also, Atkins has a diabetic book out, called "Dr. Atkin's Diabetic Revolution" It was sort of a rehash for me since I'd already studied the weight loss book, but it might be a good place to start?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:09 PM   #44
Are we there yet?

[COLOR=Sienna]Hello, again, and thanks for the warm welcome.

I apreciate the link, and I've bookmarked the page for reading tonight. I swear some days I read and read, and still there's more to know! It's okay though, I'm the kind of person that must "obsess" a little about something in order to fully absorb the information. When I don't immerse myself in learning about [insert whatever topic] then sometimes the words just don't hang in with me. And in this case, what I don't know is very detrimental.[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcosis
Welcome Kayrn! I am happy to see that your A1C is falling. I would suggest reading Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution - you can read most of it online for free:

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/readit.shtml

His low carb plan is geared for diabetes and since he has had Type 1 diabetes for 50 years and is in excellent health, you can be sure that it is safe and that it works! I am also a type 1 and am now running pretty normal BG levels.

I would not go low fat. There is a lot of SUPRESSED research debunking the uselessness of low fat diets for preventing heart disease. On Dr. Bernstein's site you can read "The Soft Science of Dietary Fat," written by a well-known science writer which debunks the low-fat WOE we've all been gaining weight on. The calories of dietary fat do not need insulin to be used as energy.

[COLOR=Sienna]Okay, good to know, and like I said, the info/plan in Dr. Ezrin's book sounds very positive, it's just that I have found myself so frustrated over trying to eat low fat AND low carb. It seems easy enough to do one or the other, but is extremely challenging to do them both. And the menus/info I've been reading here seem much easier to begin and maintain over a lifetime. [/COLOR]

Keep posting your progress. We don't have enough diabetic posters contributing.

Cheers,

Susan
[COLOR=Sienna]I know there's a good diabetic message board out there where I could learn things too, and I'll no doubt read there along the way, but everyone here is so cheerful and there have been so many successes with weight loss, management and diabetes control through this lifestyle change that I was drawn in. It's been years since I got involved in an online community (12 yrs ago when I was new to computers and the 'net I stumbled into the help area on Mac AOL and found myself a "home" there! ) and I have missed the comradery since leaving it a few years ago.

Think I'll just settle and read some more now, thanks again.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 04-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #45
Are we there yet?

[COLOR=Sienna]Thank you for giving a name to this thing of waking with a higher BG than going to bed! This has happened to me and I even mentioned it to my doctor, and I need to read more about it to see if it applies to me. (If you know for a fact it doesn't because I'm type 2, chalk it up to me still learning, but it sounds just like what happened today.)

I was thrilled to see my BG hanging in the low to mid-100s this week (experimenting with using low carbs to see just how it did affect me) 2 hours after virtually every meal, and I went to bed last night after seeing 101 after my last meal, woohoo! BUT fasting BG this morning put me at 123.

I know it's gonna fluctuate, and probably will a lot until I go fully low carb, but man that is disappointing... At least it's only 123. When I was first testing and happy to see the 123s, I was very discouraged seeing all the 140s and up. So I do know I can make them come down when I apply the right foods!! [/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcosis
Today I woke up and my fasting BG was 137. At bedtime my BG was 92. The increase is due to the Dawn Phenomenon most prominent in Type 1 diabetes. Upon arising your liver deactivates a lot of hormones including insulin. It also sends some glycogen out to stimulate your pancreas to release more insulin. Since mine doesn't make any I get a rise. Most type 2s make enough insulin to prevent this. The liver doesn't know that my beta cells don't make any insulin so I have to take fast-acting Humalog to counter it. I injected 3 units of Humalog and had coffee with aspartame tablets (no sugars, no carbs).

To be continued....
[COLOR=Sienna]
Also, I know and appreciate the encouragement to keep posting here to add to the diabetic thread, but I don't want to stray so far off-topic as to annoy the folks who [probably?] monitor these boards to keep things mainly "low carb." Just know I am extremely interested in using low carb to control my diabetes, and though I haven't yet begun a plan, I just need to get everything in place so I can start "right."

I'll head over to that Dr. Bernstein's site tonight to concentrate reading there, and also look around eBay, etc. about getting myself an Atkins book or two. I've bought more books in the past 30 days than I've bought in 30 years, LOL.

As my heart and mind become one over making this new lifestyle change, I'm getting more excited about all the benefits!

I think I'll start by making out a grocery list for tomorrow...

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 04-19-2006, 08:04 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Fasting experiment continued...

2:05 p.m. my BG is now 118. My Lantus has lowered it 23 points which is on target for the appropriate dose.

4:16 my BG is 128.

5:21 my BG is 151 (is my Lantus still working?)

5:30 p.m. injected 3 units of Humalog and ate bacon and egges for dinner.

6:55 p.m. BG 65 !!

I corrected my 65 to 91 by chewing 2 Dex4 tablets. Glucose tablets to correct low blood sugar don't seem to affect weight loss for me. I have never gone out of ketosis since starting this WOE and keeping my carbs less than 25 per day.

I don't know why my BG level is popping up and down. I read somewhere that insulin is used in varying degrees depending on where you inject on how much your body gets rid of by attacking it.

I'm going to try again tomorrow with a fresh vial of Lantus as it may be losing strength. Last time I checked my BG level was 92 at around 9:00 p.m.

I really didn't feel hungry today either. It must be the ketosis...

Last edited by Narcosis; 04-19-2006 at 08:08 PM..
Old 04-21-2006, 01:03 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rigbyfin
Stats: 300/186/160
WOE: very low carb
Start Date: aug 2003
hi, i am pretty new here. i have had type 2 diabetes for 15 years. i am extremely insulin resistant and despite obscene amounts of meds and taking everything they could think to give me, my blood sugars ran in the 600s consistantly. i eventually changed to a lo carb WOE and lost 100 lbs. my sugars came down to the 400s but i still couldn't get them under control. In december i was admitted to the hospital with chest pain. i had gained back 60 fo the 130 lbs i had lost and was pretty disgusted. my doctor put me on Byetta while still in the hospital. since then (dec 1) i have lost 42 of the 60 lbs i had regained. my fasting blood sugars are i the 130 range, my post meal sugars are in the 100-110 range and my HgA1c has gone from 15.6 to 8.4. (not good but significanlty better) i have decreased my meds from glucovance 1500 mg and lantus 60 units to 1 glucovance (which i will stop in 8 days when i run out) and levemir (new insulin) 10 units. Although i have had absolutely horrible problems with nausea and vomiting the whole time, i am not willng to stop taking it because it is the ONLY thing in 15 years to ever come close to getting me under control

Last edited by rigbyfin; 04-21-2006 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: typo
rigbyfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:34 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Oh, rigbyfin. I'm so sorry to read about your problems. I've had 600 BGs and even once over 1000. It makes you so sick! 8.4 is much better. You're not taking Lantus now? And only 10 units of Levemir? I want to try Levemir as I hear it is very flat. I urge to to head over to Dr. Bernstein's site and read about gastroparesis. High BG levels for many years can do major damage to your stomach and digestion. I have posted several links on this thread to his book. Dawn Phenomenon and Gastropareis could both be working to subvert your BG control. The good news is that a lot of damage is reversable if you get your BG levels in the normal range. You don't have to live with a messed up stomach forever!

Susan
Old 04-22-2006, 01:49 AM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rigbyfin
Stats: 300/186/160
WOE: very low carb
Start Date: aug 2003
i have already checked out Bernstein. One of the effects of byetta is that it delays gastric emptying. i have found that there are just things i can't eat comfortably anymore. like salad. it just sits on my stomach. for hours. so i don't push it. I do seem to have some dawn phenomenon,but i have also found that my BG level lowers, then stabalizes. then lowers and stablizes. i think that when it lowers is when i am having the severe nausea and vomiting.
I was an RN and several times i took care of people in diabetic coma's who's blood sugars were half what mine were...also when i ran so hi, if my sugar dropped to say 200, it was like anyone else's dropped to 30. full blown insulin reaction time.
yes i am off the lantus completely. i switched from lantus 60 to levemir 20. then dropped to 15 and then 10 units. i am the first patient my doctor has used it on. it supposedly doesn't have the related weight gain that lantus does.. and it does seem pretty flat. i am hoping to ease on off of that too. it is kinda like i am still a work in progress and when all is said and done the nv will go away i think.
rigbyfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #50
Bug
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bug
does anyone have problems with Actos and weight gain??
Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Little Engine
Stats: 265 / 229 / 185
Start Date: August 10 2006
actos and gaining weight?

not yet Bug... been on it a month now and I'm down about 7lbs?? have just found this board Yesterday tho, am learning a lot and ready to start induction!
Little Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pcola Girl
Stats: Start-325 Today-225 Goal 160
Start Date: Sarted Nov. 2000---Restarted New January 2008
My BS was 105 this morning before breakfast. Up some from yesterday. Why does it do this? Is this normal?
The reason I am asking is because my sugar was up to (134) when I seen my doc last week and he wants me to moniter it for two weeks twice a day, before breakfast and before supper in the evening. Do you think i am a diabetic? I have never had any problems with this before until I got out the hospital and had all those test ran and was under alot of sedation. Can this cause my BS to go up like that?
My doc was just concerned as I am to about it suddenly going up like that when all the times before it always stayed in the 90's.
I will see him again in two weeks and i will keep you all informed on how things are going.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:17 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
Start Date: 6-14-03
I'll be thinking about you Mary and hoping for the best. Do let us know what is up with the blood sugar. If you are diabetic, I think you have caught it early, which is a very good thing.
dreamerdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:26 AM   #54
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryT60 View Post
My BS was 105 this morning before breakfast. Up some from yesterday. Why does it do this? Is this normal?
The reason I am asking is because my sugar was up to (134) when I seen my doc last week and he wants me to moniter it for two weeks twice a day, before breakfast and before supper in the evening. Do you think i am a diabetic? I have never had any problems with this before until I got out the hospital and had all those test ran and was under alot of sedation. Can this cause my BS to go up like that?
My doc was just concerned as I am to about it suddenly going up like that when all the times before it always stayed in the 90's.
I will see him again in two weeks and i will keep you all informed on how things are going.
[COLOR="Purple"]Hi, Mary

I was diagnosed several months ago as type 2 diabetic, and I can tell you from many things I've read since, stress is a huge contributor to many health problems, and it can raise a person's blood pressure, glucose, all sorts of stuff. And I would imagine being in the hospital would be very stressful on a person! Not to mention you might not have been able to eat "right" or how you're accustomed to eating, and that might throw your sugar out of whack.

For me, yep, 134 would be on the high side and not something I'd want to see, but I monitor my food and glucose very closely... Low carbing has helped me SO much to get myself more nice and "normal."

It may even be that you weren't tested at an "optimum" time, you know? The best times to test for most people are after fasting for 6-8 hours (as in, morning, before breakfast) and 2 hours after a meal. Your doc has been real specific about when he wants you to test so follow his suggestion and hopefully all will return to normal for you as you're beginning to feel more "normal" yourself.

Didn't I see that you'd posted about this on another thread too? And wasn't your test averaging around 97? (Forgive me if that wasn't you, but I usually pay close attention to those posting about diabetes and/or blood sugar, and I'm remembering you or somebody with a similar story. )

Anyway, try not to fret until you know better, and definitely post back when you've seen your doc again, okay? Would love to know how you're doing.

Take care,
Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 10-11-2006, 11:09 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pcola Girl
Stats: Start-325 Today-225 Goal 160
Start Date: Sarted Nov. 2000---Restarted New January 2008
My blood sugar was down to 87 this morning so it is coming down good. I have no idea why it got so high last week while in the doctors office (134) . I have never had a sugar problem before in my whole life. Thats why I don't understand why it went up now.
I hope I am not becoming a diabetic.
Pcola Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #56
Are we there yet?

Update: 10/13/06

[COLOR="Purple"]Hey, you guys!

I think this was the original post I made when I came onto LCF, and as of today, I have lost 40 pounds all together. Also as of today I've changed my stats to reflect a probably more realistic goal according to my neurologist and a few things I've learned low carbing.

Originally, I began at about 191 (could have been higher), my April weigh-in was 168, and I was aiming for 125...my (perceived) golden number. As in, "Oh, if I could only be 125 pounds again..." That's the weight I remember being especially proud of myself for having attained it, and had come by that weight after 3 months of lowfat dieting, more so starving myself (not purposefully!) from a less than healthy living situation.

I'm only 5'1" so 125 seemed ideal and within reach.

My neuro thinks otherwise. Due to my having muscular dystrophy, she has asked me to "not lose more than another 10 pounds" if I must. Her main concern is that I not worsen my condition by losing muscle since exercising is difficult for me at best, meaning I have no real way to build muscle.

Hmm. Good news and bad... I'm a lot closer to goal now than I thought, considering her request, but I won't quite reach my "golden" number. So. Half full or half empty?

I have a pair of size 12 jeans I am aiming for, I am in a 14 now (from a snug 22), and if I remain on-track, I believe I could manage this by Christmas -- and shouldn't have to lose more than 10-15 lbs. to get there... Don't you think?

NOW, as for my diabetes, a BIG woo-hoo on that note!

Being newly diagnosed last December with an A1c testing at 7.8, I've had follow-up A1c's every three months. I've lowered it each time, this last all the way to 4.5. My doc reduced my Metformin from 2x a day to 1x per day. I think if I do well on 1 pill (and I am so far) that she may take me off of it completely in the next few months.

Sooooooo... 40 pounds gone, hoping for about 10-15 more total, and seeing a size 12 followed by NO meds come January or February?

Wish me luck, and I'll post back again when I hit another milestone.

Carry on, folks, and please post how YOU are doing too? I couldn't have come this far without the support of my friends, family, and you all here at LCF. Thank you!

Hang in there, and see you 'round the boards! I'd like to post some before and after pictures, but I need to scan a couple -- and I need to take a new one!

Karyn[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelthief View Post
Hi, everyone. I'm Karyn.

(This is long, I'm sorry!)

I am new to your website and have not yet begun to officially follow any of the low carb plans, but I am leaning more and more towards Atkins or a variation of it the more I read. I found LCF a few days ago and have read so many posts that many of your faces and names are familiar to me now, and I figured it was time I stopped lurking and said 'hello.'

I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic December 2005 and I didn't get into a class until March (where nutritionists gave me menus and a BG meter and taught me how & why it would soon become my new best buddy).

The first few weeks after learning I was diabetic, I really didn't do much more than quit drinking my beloved Cokes (isn't that a sad thing to say, I still miss 'em sometimes too). Within a few weeks I'd gotten my head together and put myself on a "diet," and I knew I was eating better than I had since my teens so I was content. It didn't seem to be as bad as I'd thought, "being diabetic," and I was noticing some looseness in my clothes. Bonus!

Until I got the meter and could SEE that I'd been way off in my thinking.

When I was diagnosed, my A1c was 7.8 and my cholesterol numbers were too high on the bad and too low on the good. She put me on Metformin and Lovastatin right away and said the very least I needed to do was quit the sodas or there'd be nothing she could do for me. I'd weighed the previous July and came in at 191. I figured by December, I was 195 easily and it could even have been more, I have no way of knowing.

I'm in a wheelchair due to muscular dystrophy (not MS) and unable to weigh unless I can use one of those bariatric scales my chair will roll up onto. I found one in my neurologist's clinic, which is how I finally got to weight myself after more than 15 years! (I weighed 95 pounds when I graduated HS in 1981... You can probably imagine how dismayed I was to find [well, more like had it confirmed] that I'd grown a whole other PERSON in my body's skin over the years.)

So. My average BG readings began at about 172 (not bad by some but I was so sure I'd been doing well. And starting out at 172, you might also realize it didn't take much at all to send my BG escalating after a meal).

It still took me a few more weeks to understand that it was the carbs that kept sending my numbers up. In class, they kept talking portions and calories and fat, and I had been DOING ALL of that since putting myself on a diet. I couldn't see what else to do short of starvation, and I began eating less and less, trying to combat the numbers.

After reading the experiences of so many people here, I have begun making some changes already, and I am being rewarded for it with better numbers.

Thanks to seeing actual results and lowering my BG average over the last 3 months, at my March check up, all my numbers were better! My A1c was 5.5 this time and my cholesterol numbers had all come down, including my BP. The good cholesterol that's supposed to be higher wasn't as high as she'd like, but my doctor praised all my efforts and said I'd done good! Yay.

In the last few days of more closely monitoring my carbs, I've been seeing numbers no higher than 125 at 2 hours past a meal, and my average since March has dropped to < 123. That's not all low carb, no, but if I commit to doing the low carb, I think the numbers will drop even more and I could potentially be off medication by year's end. I can certainly hope anyway!

I bought the book by Dr. Ezrin that uses low carb and low fat, but I'm not convinced yet. I have yet to read Dr. Atkin's book to compare, but over the next few days and weeks, I'll be reading and deciding which way to go.

You all inspire and motivate me to get on-track and GO FOR IT.

Just wanted to say 'hi' and well, add to the thread, LOL. I'm mostly wandering the site reading willy-nilly and I'm with Mamzell, the search engine could use a little boost.

I'll probably still lurk a lot but I am so thankful you all are here for me to learn with.

Take care,
Karyn

P.S. Oh! And I forgot to mention I got to weigh again last week, and I have lost 22 pounds since January!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:07 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Janetv
Diabetics Progress Reports

dee k, good to hear from you.
Janetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:53 AM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rdb2323
hi.. I am new to this forum. But read your enty and saw the Hashimotos... I brought my Hashimotos numbers down by taking a vitamin called Selenium. I am not sure of the dosage (mgs or mcgs). it was from Wal-mart, and it was 200. My highest number on record was 1129 of my antibody count. and I have brought it down to 279. The only difference I did was the Selenium. there is a forum on about.com that is about thyroid diseases. And I had found it there. If your hashimotos gets worse... your thyroid disease can.
I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I guess the two diseases go together since it's the same system.
rdb2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: barbara51
Hello all, This is my first post so I hope I am in the right place. I have not been "diagnosed" yet, but in March my fsb was 127; it is now about 155. I am horribly overweight (215) for my short frame of 5' 4" and absolutely adore bread and such...well, anyway I have a hard time staying on track but I bought some carbquik (which I have yet to use) and listening to all of your delicious recipes, maybe I can get on track and lose some weight. Thanks for all for listening.
barbara51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:16 PM   #60
Are we there yet?

[COLOR="SeaGreen"] Hey, rdb and barbara! Glad to see some new faces 'round here.

I'm no doctor (and wouldn't you know it, no one's asked me to play one on TV! ) but I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 months ago, was very overweight for my size (195+ and 5'1"), and I didn't find low carb info right away. It took me a few months, but once I did, I started seeing good results quickly, and almost a year later I am 40 pounds down and currently med-free. I haven't had my diabetic medicine in almost 2 weeks and I'm still doing well.

Hope you'll find good information and a new way of eating that improves your health & well being too...

Karyn[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb2323 View Post
hi.. I am new to this forum. But read your enty and saw the Hashimotos... I brought my Hashimotos numbers down by taking a vitamin called Selenium. I am not sure of the dosage (mgs or mcgs). it was from Wal-mart, and it was 200. My highest number on record was 1129 of my antibody count. and I have brought it down to 279. The only difference I did was the Selenium. there is a forum on about.com that is about thyroid diseases. And I had found it there. If your hashimotos gets worse... your thyroid disease can.
I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I guess the two diseases go together since it's the same system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara51 View Post
Hello all, This is my first post so I hope I am in the right place. I have not been "diagnosed" yet, but in March my fsb was 127; it is now about 155. I am horribly overweight (215) for my short frame of 5' 4" and absolutely adore bread and such...well, anyway I have a hard time staying on track but I bought some carbquik (which I have yet to use) and listening to all of your delicious recipes, maybe I can get on track and lose some weight. Thanks for all for listening.