Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #511
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: scottishmoggie
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2004/restart 2008
Dr. appt yesterday

I had my dr appt yesterday and he went over all my blood work numbers and all my meds. So, my fasting blood sugar level was 99....normal, but right on the edge. I showed the doc the blood sugar numbers Ihad been tracking and he said they were ok and I was being too hard on myself to get my numbers under 100 all the time after every meal. Ok, so I think I'm still gonna try for that cuz Dr. Bernstein recommends it and hey, it can't hurt to try right? He told me to keep doing the low carb, but to cut my calories back 10% to see if that will kick start the weight loss. He told me I was definately doing everything right, I just needed to tweak a few things. My thyroid number was right in the middle of acceptable and my total cholesteral was 143...the HDL was a little low, but the LDL was way low as well. The doc told me also to keep tracking thngs and if I see a trend upwards we will address that issue and metformin might be an option then, but not right now. He took me off one high blood pressure med and one allergy med. I'll be trying an OTC allergy med for a bit to see if it works better than the prescription one.

All in all, it was a good dr. visit. I feel better about my blood sugar numbers, but I will keep tracking them cuz it makes me feel better knowing where I am.

Oh yeah, and today is my birthday so......Happy Birthday to me!
scottishmoggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #512
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maeve
Stats: 228/211/178
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Ongoing
scottishmoggie -- Happy Birthday

And way to go on your blood sugar!
Maeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:12 AM   #513
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 30something
Stats: 188-150-140 surpassed goal x1 and now 10 lbs over
WOE: Diabetic Meal Plan (4-5 sm balanced low-mod carbs)
Start Date: Restart: September 2005
Scottishmoggie, caught up with you hope you had a Happy Birthday! Great results!

Drs. & research focus on the link between wt and diabetes..........many diabetics have reversed it by losing wt. Unfortunately I am not one of them even though I have lost wt consistently a total of 54 lbs.

Before I retired my annual fasting blood glucose which had been doing the slow creep for 5 yrs. from 90-119-124-130...... Dr. said I could ward off diabetes if I would lose wt. This was some yrs ago when normal fbs was 125I lost 18 lbs over several months and fasting blood glucose went from 130-140! Dr. concluded diabetes was genetic with me and started me on Glucophage/Metformin.

I follow the Diabetic Diet Plan IN2 Nutrition, 5 small frequent low carb balanced meals (approximately 258 calories/meal) per day..........approx. 1280-1300 calories/day. Carb balance is not as low as Atkins or Bernstein100-110 low glycemic carbs./day) (49 fat gms/day and 110 protein gms/day). I track meals thru ****** - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal.

I eat every 3-4 hours......works for me when I thought I would never lose wt.

3 mos. ago I was below goal wt and thought I was too skinny, 5' 8.5" tall, size 6/8 sometimes size 4. I stopped eating the small meals and ate 3 meals/day low carb balanced same total calories per day my wt loss stopped which was good as I was getting too skinny. Overall I prefer the 5 meals to 3 meals and will go back to it in a heart beat if I gain wt.

Best part is no more yo-yoing and my blood glucose reading are good average 95.

Probably too much information but I thought it might be helpful, I wish I could have avoided this disease. The glass is half full as I am healthier than I ever was and at highschool/college wt and I will be 62 in May!

Denise
30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #514
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: scottishmoggie
Start Date: 2004/restart 2008
Thanks Goodcelt!

Good info 30something. I'm thinking of trying the more frequent smaller meals, but my schedule is so weird it might be difficult. Still looking into how I could do it though.

DH and DS took me to Red Lobster for dinner last night and I ate veeerrrryyyy well. No idea on the carb or calorie counts but I stayed away from breaded and fried stuff at least. It was my celebration meal and I ate what I wanted and forgot all about losing weight and blood glucose levels for one night. Today I went back to counting carbs and checking sugar.

I feel healthier now than I have in a while also. I'm still way too heavy and my blood sugar can get out of control if I blink, but I'm eating good food and exercising and it's been almost a year since I quit smoking. I may not look it on the outside yet, but I feel better on the inside.
scottishmoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #515
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yolonda
Stats: 154/141/120
WOE: Diabetetic Diet
Start Date: June 2007
30 Something,
Would you give me some idea where I can get more info on this diet ? I googled but found no info. Sound like something I would like to try. I have diabetes since last June. I am on Byetta/ Metformin. Both twice a day but my BS is not low enough to suite me.

TIA
yolonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #516
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dave L
Morning test

I have found that if I test when I wake up, it can be 180. If I drink 2 glasses of water, and test 1 hour later its 130? Should I drink a bunch of water brfore going to doctor? Dave.
Dave L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #517
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave L View Post
I have found that if I test when I wake up, it can be 180. If I drink 2 glasses of water, and test 1 hour later its 130? Should I drink a bunch of water brfore going to doctor? Dave.
[COLOR=DarkRed]
Hi, Dave

I don't think drinking the water makes any difference in your reading; you will get differing results almost no matter what because meters are not accurate enough to provide such minute test results. What a blood glucose meter is good for is giving you a snapshot of what your blood sugar level is right that moment, and like a snapshot, a few minutes later, a different test strip, and/or sticking a different finger may all give you varying results. Even using different meters will give you different results from one another.

Why does it matter what you test at before you go to the doctor? If your fasting blood sugars are in the 180 range, you are diabetic, your sugar is out of control, and you want your doctor to have as clear a picture as possible about your blood sugar so s/he can give you proper treatment.

Not only that, if you are diabetic or presumed to be, if your doc runs an HbA1c test on you, it won't matter what your morning result is, it will give results of how often your blood sugar was in the highs over the previous 90 days. Click that link for a better description of what this test does.

If I didn't answer your question well enough, please post again with more information.

Karyn
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Gray]
[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #518
Junior LCF Member

HbA1c test

I will check, I do not think I got a HbA1c test. Im on meds now and have been 60-87 2 hours after each meal, but still high in the morning. Dave.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:48 AM   #519
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Dave,

I am also running high in the morning - sometimes low 200's - I have read articles that says this is very common but like Karyn says, that test will show
your blood sugar results for the past 3 months.

I am going in two weeks so we shall see
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #520
Junior LCF Member

What are your day readings 2 hours after meals? Dave.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #521
Are we there yet?

[COLOR=Teal]Dave, hi

What meds are you on? And have you been diagnosed diabetic prompting your doctor to put you on medication?

Your blood sugar levels sound really low at 2 hours after meals... as in, 60-87 2 hours past sounds almost dangerously low--if you are diabetic.

I mean, we all strive for our best results, and someone not diabetic stays within that range of results almost no matter what they eat, but our (diabetic) systems aren't designed to reflect numbers in that range usually.

None of us here are doctors and we don't try to diagnose or treat or do more than compare what works and sometimes doesn't for ourselves... But we do try to help each other by sharing our successes and frustrations.

Maybe tell us a little more about your situation if you feel comfortable with that.

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Old 07-03-2008, 04:08 AM   #522
Junior LCF Member

meds

I take 2 mg of amaryl with food in the morning, and 500 mg of metformin with supper. I have just been on them for a month. I went to eye doctor and my sight got better at age 50 and they told me to get checked. So I went to family doctor and they took blood 3 months in a row and it was 210-190-180. I had started on diet durning this time. After the 3 rd test they said I had it, and put me on the meds. It freaked me out and I have been working out and not eating much. Sproted wheat with peanut butter in morning, wendys grilled chicken and side salad with fat free ranch for lunch, and a spinish salad with grilled chicken for supper. For snack 0 fat youruk with maybe a few strawberrys in it or a hand full of raw pecans or almonds. A few weeks before I took meds my readings were 125-135 after meals, The only time high is in the morning, after drinking water it comes down? I lost 20 pounds. Im 6'0" 195 now large build. Dave.
PS on weekends I have egg lights and oatmeal from bob evans for breakfast, and thats when readings go lowest. I also drank 3-4 pops a day before, and im off of any drink with sugar.

Last edited by Dave L; 07-03-2008 at 04:13 AM..
Old 07-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #523
Junior LCF Member

???

Had a vacation day today, went to Bob Evans for breakfast and had 2 real eggs 1 turkey sausage with sugar free syrup, bowel of oatmeal with 2% milk and 1 piece of wheatbread. 21/2 hours later I wanted to go to gym and was light headed, so I thought I better check and is was 54? Am I being too careful of what I eat? Dave.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #524
Senior LCF Member

Dave 54 seems too low in my opinion. Everyone is different. You have to discover what works for you.

I usually run 104-120 2 hrs after a meal.
I am a Type 2 x 3 yrs. with a 5.6 HA1C, I take Metformin ER 1000 mg/day.
I follow a strick low carb diet plan, 4 small meals with no higher than 22 carbs per meal this works for me, no highs, no lows. I am genetically challenged with T2 Diabetes on both sides of the family. Seems to be hitting the siblings at a younger age or with more impact. My younger sister is on insulin x 10 yrs. I do not want to go there!

2 hrs. after a meal with questionable carbs if I am under 139, I am thrlled I haven't destroyed beta cells.
I am 62 yrs. young, 5'8.5" and weigh 134 lbs.

Denise
Old 07-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #525
Junior LCF Member

questionable carbs ?

Thanks for info, when you say questionable carbs? Can you give an example? I think I may of had this for a year without getting help. I hope I did not do to much damage. No one in my Family has ever had this. Dave.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #526
Junior LCF Member

Had the same breakfast as yesterday, the only difference I drank like 30oz less water and tested 102 2 hours after. This stuff is driving me nuts.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #527
Senior LCF Member

Dave:
Questionable carbs: I eat food that I do not know about the amt of carbs..often food or drink in a restaurant or at a party. I take a guesstimate and sometimes I am wrong about the carb count. I let the meter be the judge and watch my intake of that type of food group the next time.....usually just take smaller quantity......

For me it is a balancing act and I usually stay balanced and it works for me.

Denise
Old 07-04-2008, 11:01 PM   #528
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Had the same breakfast as yesterday, the only difference I drank like 30oz less water and tested 102 2 hours after. This stuff is driving me nuts.
[COLOR=SeaGreen]
Hi, Dave

You sound like you are really struggling to understand what is best for you, and it really can be a challenge! One thing I have learned time and again is that we all respond differently to being diabetic, even though we are the same "under the hood," so to speak. What works for one of us might totally undo someone else.

I think you are right to ask questions and get the best answers for yourself, though it may take you awhile to piece it all together. I still learn new things from time to time myself. May I suggest some good sites that have message boards where you can post for their help too?

Here are just a few places I would send myself if I could hop backwards 2˝ yrs and talk to my newly-diagnosed self:

Diabetes Support Forum; Index page
http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/readit.shtml
Blood Sugar 101
American Diabetes Association Home Page

On those sites you will find basic info, additional sources of info, some things that will relate to you, and some that might not. The thing is, your doctor shouldn't have just diagnosed and dosed you with meds; s/he should have given you someone to teach you about your condition...

Like perhaps enrolled you in a diabetic education class. That would be a place to start yourself learning the basics like food portion sizes, how often and when to test your sugar, what you're trying to achieve with your test results, when to be concerned with a too high or too low meter reading, and lots more... Once you know the basics then you will start learning how to control your diabetes rather than it controlling you.

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Old 07-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #529

Gallery: LW3707
Stats: 322.6/312.1/150
Start Date: RC 7/8, Induction 7/13/08
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting to this thread.

After a scare with a reading of 337 I decided to start watching what I eat and exercise. It's been 4 days and I am already down to 180-190. I know it's still high but a big improvement from my first reading. I see it reducing more and more each day which makes me extremely happy. Right now I am trying to do this on my own without medications. I am giving myself 6 months to come down to a normal level. After that if my levels are still elevated I would agree to medication. Wish me luck!
LW3707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #530
Are we there yet?

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Hi, LW!

That sounds like a scary-high reading for sure, although I've heard of folks with double that or more. Sounds like you're on-track to getting your numbers down, and Atkins/low carb is a good place to begin. It worked for me and for many others, and some people get down to near-normal and avoid medications all together.

My doctor diagnosed me and immediately put me on meds (I didn't know it was possible to not take meds or to come off of them once on), but a year later I was doing so well, she discontinued them.

Good luck to you, and hang out where you have lots of support to fall back on--LCF has been a "home-base" for me since I found it, and I don't know where I'd be health-wise had I not landed here.
See you 'round!

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW3707 View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting to this thread.

After a scare with a reading of 337 I decided to start watching what I eat and exercise. It's been 4 days and I am already down to 180-190. I know it's still high but a big improvement from my first reading. I see it reducing more and more each day which makes me extremely happy. Right now I am trying to do this on my own without medications. I am giving myself 6 months to come down to a normal level. After that if my levels are still elevated I would agree to medication. Wish me luck!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #531

Gallery: LW3707
Stats: 322.6/312.1/150
Start Date: RC 7/8, Induction 7/13/08
Thanks for the welcome, Karyn.

My readings are now down to 150. It's amazing what a couple of lifestyle changes can do. I am looking forward to the day that it's under 100!
LW3707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #532
Junior LCF Member

Yes < i have got good info here. I have got some Atkin stuff and like the low carb breakfast bar at 10:00 AM at the desk. Seems to agree with me.
For a year I quick drinking pop and started drinking vitamin water, with a power bar, and then a banana for breakfast. I did not know all were bad (so many carbs). I would get a headache and blured vision. After 6 weeks after like style change I feel 60% better but still not my old self. I hope that will come with more time. Dave.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #533
Are we there yet?

[COLOR=DarkGreen]LW... Yay! That's the way to go!! Keep up the good work.

And Dave... I didn't make the carb connection myself when I was first diagnosed, and when I took a diabetic education class, they talked to us about counting carbs, etc. yet I didn't quite get it even then.

My body was sure surprised when I began eating much lower carb too. I'm a southern girl, grew up on starches! I really didn't know what I was going to eat after reading what is limited or eliminated using Atkins... Since losing much of my [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkGreen]original[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkGreen] weight, however, my body handles carbs better than it used to, and I have added back in little servings of things I've always loved eating. But there will always be some foods I have tastes of versus servings of at a meal.

I think you'll feel better and better as your body adjusts to its new way of eating, and it will positively affect your test results as well. Hang out some in the main lobby here and on the recipe board for suggestions of the variety of foods available that are healthy, low(er) carb, and yummy too. I have saved a folder of recipes to try--I just need more time to eat them all.

Hang in there!

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Old 07-19-2008, 05:05 AM   #534
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: diabeticfriend
Stats: 276/276/150
WOE: Diabetic diet
Start Date: August 2008
Hi

My name is Martina and i am a Type 2 Diabetic looking to found out which diet would be good for a diabetic, i also have Kidney problems, PCOS and much more

My Blood sugar numbers are high, in the morning it is normal 13.0(234) and it goes up to 17.0(306)
I am on 500mg twice a day of Metformin and 40mg twice a day of Glicizade

Can someone please help you can PM me if you like

Hugs
Martina

Last edited by diabeticfriend; 07-19-2008 at 05:11 AM..
diabeticfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #535
Junior LCF Member

Karyn ?

Karyn, been on meds for 7 weeks and in the morning before I started them I was 200-230 when I woke up. I am now 150-160 and good the rest of day. Still to high, but 2 hours after I am up 100-110. I think I am trying to see better results to fast? Dave.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #536
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Karyn, been on meds for 7 weeks and in the morning before I started them I was 200-230 when I woke up. I am now 150-160 and good the rest of day. Still to high, but 2 hours after I am up 100-110. I think I am trying to see better results to fast? Dave.
[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]
Dave, hi!

It's human nature to want what we want NOW, if not sooner.

Sounds like you are figuring things out for yourself, and the meds you're on are doing their job, and it will take a little time and patience with yourself to see the results you want to. Since diabetes is different in all of us, some people will see successes more quickly than others, and some will need to constantly tweak diets, medications, exercise, etc. Even when we have our successes, know there will be days when the numbers don't seem to play fair (even if we seem to be doing exactly what we were doing "right" yesterday)!

I've found that stress, trying different foods or carb counts, catching a cold, and eating off my usual schedule can make my sugars fluctuate. You won't always know what made your results higher or lower today than yesterday, or last week, but you'll find a rhythm as you look for what works or doesn't for you.

Be patient with yourself, Dave! It may not seem like much at first but look how far you've come already... Keep up the good work.

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Old 07-24-2008, 05:59 AM   #537
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dave,

what meds are you taking? I am taking glimpiride and I am not happy with results - I am still too high in morning (numbers same as your 200-230) - going to dr tomorrow morning - someone told me Actose is suppose to be good with no side effects?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #538
Junior LCF Member

Meds

I take 2 mg of amaryl with food in the morning, and 500 mg of metformin with supper. What is so crazy, I get up at 6:00 AM its 200-230, at 7:30 180, at 9:00 140, and at 10:00 120. All these are before I take any meds or eat,(just decaf & some water) and my doctor does not know why yet eigher. I have heard if you do not sleep good this will happen, but it happens to me all the time. PS before bed its in the 80`s. Dave.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #539
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok - I went to dr this morning apparently my meds are not working. My A1c was 8.7 - He put me on Januvia?? - and just one pill of glimepiride a day - any thoughts?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #540
Junior LCF Member

Cherylg, I`m just 2 months into mine and when I started taking meds 2-2 1/2 hours after meal I was all over the place mostly low 50 60 70`s, but now I kinda flat lined the last 10 days at 80 to 90 after meals. i`m just high when I wake up. I was 6.9 when I started and next test is in 30 days.

Just give new stuff a try, maybe someone with more info can help us both. Dave.