LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #451
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Hello, and

You should be proud of yourself, that is quite an accomplishment!!

Karyn[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmama123 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to stop by and say hi. My first experience with diabetes was when I was gestational diabetic-insulin dependent, then failed GTT after birth so I was diagnosed type II, no more insulin thank God! but put on 1000 mg/day of Metformin. I went to an endocrinologist who advocated an 800 calorie per day, no fat, all you could eat fruit diet for diabetics to lose weight. I knew this was crazy, and I'd done Atkins and was successful ten years prior to this, so I decided to go at it again instead of listening to the good doctor. I've lost 120 pounds since my daughter's birth, a1c is 5.5-and no more meds at all. One thing that I think is absolutely vital-and is reflected in my meter readings as well as my a1c-is exercise. Even if you can only walk 15 minutes a day, do it. When I was pregnant, even a short, casual walk would lower my readings by 30 points. I now work out an hour to an hour and a half 4 times a week, and I think it's the key to helping our tired pancreas do its job-that and lowcarb of course. Anyway, it can be done, and I encourage anyone out there who's diabetic or prediabetic to consider any of the great lowcarb plans that are available.
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #452
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sfmama123
Stats: 356/226/175
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Every day
Hi Karyn,

Thanks for the welcome! I'll see ya around the board...
sfmama123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #453
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chocolatefolie
Stats: 150/140/122
WOE: the Cardiologist's Wife's CHOCOLATE TOO! Diet: No
Start Date: October 2007
New diet that's both Low Carb & Low Fat

Hi,

Apologies, I haven't posted in a while. I have been losing steadily, but have been holding my breath & for weeks expected to cave in like I have so many times before.

I haven't, for the first time. The weight's been coming off at a steady almost 2 lbs a week so I wanted to tell you about the best, best diet I've ever found for diabetics. It's on Amazon, & the name is "The Cardiologist's Wife's Chocolate too Diet: No Sugar, no fat, & Luscious." Don't be misled by the word "chocolate." It's pure cocoa that the authors call the diet's engine, since it's the top antioxidant and also makes you feel good, like a mood elevator. Look for it on Amazon and...just...read...its...page, about how healthy cocoa is for you.

I'm still stunned. I'm feeling good for the first time in six years. I've seen articles that call this the diet for the 21st century, adding that few of the 20th century diets help in the current health crisis. Some people are losing on the Adkins, South Beach, etc., but there's still too much fat in them.

I'm still pinching myself. I want to jump up and down, and...I can!
chocolatefolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #454
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatefolie View Post
Hi,

Apologies, I haven't posted in a while. I have been losing steadily, but have been holding my breath & for weeks expected to cave in like I have so many times before.

I haven't, for the first time. The weight's been coming off at a steady almost 2 lbs a week so I wanted to tell you about the best, best diet I've ever found for diabetics. It's on Amazon, & the name is "The Cardiologist's Wife's Chocolate too Diet: No Sugar, no fat, & Luscious." Don't be misled by the word "chocolate." It's pure cocoa that the authors call the diet's engine, since it's the top antioxidant and also makes you feel good, like a mood elevator. Look for it on Amazon and...just...read...its...page, about how healthy cocoa is for you.

I'm still stunned. I'm feeling good for the first time in six years. I've seen articles that call this the diet for the 21st century, adding that few of the 20th century diets help in the current health crisis. Some people are losing on the Adkins, South Beach, etc., but there's still too much fat in them.

I'm still pinching myself. I want to jump up and down, and...I can!
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Well, hey, it's sounds like you've got something TO jump up and down about, good for you!

I haven't heard of this book, I'll look it up, but I've just about come to the realization that I don't know if I can lose anymore weight or not. While I don't believe I am gaining, if I AM losing, it's probably the same couple of pounds on again/off again. When you poke me, it's pretty much all me. Which is good, I guess, but I was really hoping to see 125 lbs. again... but maybe not. Oh, well.

Are your sugar levels doing good on this plan too? Do you take meds or insulin? I'm still holding steady w/out meds but I have to keep pretty tight carbs to maintain it.

Good for you though, that sounds exciting!! Are you buying new clothes yet? That was my favorite part--still is! :blush:

Karyn[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Gray]
[/COLOR]
Old 01-16-2008, 05:54 AM   #455
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 30something
Stats: 188-150-140 surpassed goal x1 and now 10 lbs over
WOE: Diabetic Meal Plan (4-5 sm balanced low-mod carbs)
Start Date: Restart: September 2005
Haven't checked out the Chocolate Diet, but I lost 2 lbs./mo x 2 yrs (53 lbs)on in 5 small balanced meals (104 carb gms, 120 protein gms/49 fat gms a day). Finally stopped losing wt, I am below my goal wt. I use Lindt 70% cocoa chocolate (4 squares are 13 carbs, 2 fiber) and count it as carbs, helps. Doing Bernstiens 30 carbs/day to see if I can lower my A1C. Labs yesterday.

Denise
30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #456
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Hey, all!

I was diagnosed in June 2006 when I developed pancreatitus - long story. Anyway, I was taking glimepiride once a day with breakfast, exercising about 4x a week but I am like 35 pounds overweight.

Anyway, just recently I am getting really high blood sugar readings - like today was 218 fasting - I am not doing anything different that I know of? - I was like 97 - 110 for the past year and now all of a sudden??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #457
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30something View Post
Haven't checked out the Chocolate Diet, but I lost 2 lbs./mo x 2 yrs (53 lbs)on in 5 small balanced meals (104 carb gms, 120 protein gms/49 fat gms a day). Finally stopped losing wt, I am below my goal wt. I use Lindt 70% cocoa chocolate (4 squares are 13 carbs, 2 fiber) and count it as carbs, helps. Doing Bernstiens 30 carbs/day to see if I can lower my A1C. Labs yesterday.

Denise
Hi Denise,

I'm doing Bernstein's as well, only I don't count carbs. I just eat according to the book and try to keep my portions small. So far, I've lost about 40 lbs since July 11.

My endo is thrilled and just reduced my Metformin from 1000 mg twice a day to 500 mg twice a day. Yeah! My A1c was AWESOME at 5.3!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #458
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6-14-03
Way to go Mountain Girl!!!
dreamerdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #459
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 30something
Stats: 188-150-140 surpassed goal x1 and now 10 lbs over
WOE: Diabetic Meal Plan (4-5 sm balanced low-mod carbs)
Start Date: Restart: September 2005
Mountaingirl, you are doing great on wt loss and most important blood glucose control!

My recent A1C was 5.6 which is down from the 6.2 previous A1C. I have been at my goal wt for 5 mos. I am thrilled! I count carbs.fat. protein gms religiously and balance with sm amts of protein and fat, works for me, my 2 hr. post meal blood glucose is 110-120. I have been on Metformin ER 1000 mg daily for 5 mos. seems to be working.

My goal is to increase consistency of exercise.

Denise
30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #460
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey Denise,

can you share what your numbers are for carbs, fats, protein etc.?
You are following Dr. Bernstein, right?

Also are you taking the Metformin 1000 mg once a day or twice?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:31 AM   #461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Can I ask what the Dr. Bernstein diet is? or where I can get more info?

Much appreciated
Old 01-31-2008, 07:11 AM   #462
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
Can I ask what the Dr. Bernstein diet is? or where I can get more info?

Much appreciated
Hi Cheryl,

It's Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution.
You can read excerpts online here:

Read It Online!

The good doctor is a Type I diabetic for 50 years and he himself uses THIS diet to keep blood sugars controlled. He prescribes it for all his patients as well.

You can read lots of the info, but I'd skip to the Losing Weight chapters and HOW to do that and also the Bernstein food pyramid and food lists.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 AM   #463
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MountainGirl - thanks soo much - it seems like it is worth me buying!
You are doing terrific by the way - a great inspiration!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #464
Camminatore del Vento

Gallery: Edin
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: November 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
Hi Denise,

I'm doing Bernstein's as well, only I don't count carbs. I just eat according to the book and try to keep my portions small. So far, I've lost about 40 lbs since July 11.

My endo is thrilled and just reduced my Metformin from 1000 mg twice a day to 500 mg twice a day. Yeah! My A1c was AWESOME at 5.3!
hi mountain girl, your progress is awesome!! i just looked at dr. bernstein's site. in what section exactly is the actual diet, pls?? i saw where he talks re types of foods, but could not find a specific area with exact amnt of food allowe, etc.

thanks so much!!
Edin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #465
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi!

He talks about "No-No" foods here:
Read It Online!

No-N0's in a nutshell here and What's Left To Eat here:
Read It Online!
Continues on pages 5, 6 and 7.

Remember, these are just excerpts from the book.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #466
Camminatore del Vento

Gallery: Edin
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: November 2006
tks so much, mtn girl. i am trying to learn all i can "first" to get healthy, and as i do, i know i will also lose weight. the last 6 yrs i have been under massive stress, and it has been so hard on my body. a side-effect is i have gained weight. i not only need to lose, but i also need to get my body and my life in balance, and find ways i can lower my stress.

i appreciate your help and the links!!
Edin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #467
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 210
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: December 3, 2012
Diabetes and LCF

Hi, this is my first post to LCF. I have had Type 2 diabetes for 17 years and until recently was in denial (since I didn't have any symptoms, and RARELY tested). My MD kept telling me to "do something" since my hemoglobin was above 7, and as much as 7.8, for many years. In August I was retested, plus saw an endocrinologist for the first time. He didn't put the fear of God in me, but the fact that I have developed neuropathy in my feet SCARED ME. I kept thinking I must have a pinched nerve, so I got an EMG test a few weeks ago, plus an MRI and learned no pinched nerve.

I had "done Atkins" in 2002 for a few months and lost about 20 lbs, but got scared by all the media attention on the food pyrimid, etc etc. Then I read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and wasn't scared any more and on October 1, 2007 started low carbining with my DH. I've lost 30 lbs and he's lost 25; we both have a ways to go and this time we'll get there and stay there for life.

Low carbing has about normalized ALL my numbers: BS, chloresterol, triglycerides. NOW my MD tells me that the only way to lose weight is low carb! (Wish he'd told me earlier!!)

In addition to neuropathy in my feet I also now have neuropathy in my back. It started 2 years ago as an occasional itch (like a boring itch), then a month ago I started getting an electrical current type feeling in my back where the itch is). That's when I got the MRI because my MD thought I might have a tiny tumor pressing a nerve... nope, it is neuropathy. SO, to make a long store ... short, I am no longer in denial.

Sorry this is so long, but I did want to encourage those who are pre-diabetic, diabetic, or whatever to pay attention because if left too long complications DO arise. I feel lucky that my eyes are good and hope they stay that way.

LOW CARB IS THE ONLY HEALTHY WAY TO GO.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 AM   #468
Are we there yet?

[COLOR="Teal"]Hi, Patti and Welcome!

You're taking care of yourself, and regardless of what we've all done in our pasts, we can only begin when we begin--and stay the course to the best of our ability.

We all have our ups and downs, and the road to knowledge and success can be a long one. It's a struggle to "do the right thing" and I bet none of us are strangers to denial. I know I'm not! I suspected I might be diabetic for a few years before seeing a doctor and having it confirmed. And even after she told me I was diabetic, I was certain she was wrong!

Do yourself and your hubby a favor, and stick around LCF. There is a lot of support, friendly faces, and recipes to help you stay on-track. I dropped in here about 4-6 months after diagnosis, and it's been a major source of my own success.

I started out with an admonishment to lose weight if possible and on Metformin 500mg 2x a day. A year and a half later I'd lost 60 pounds and was able to stop the Met all together... Along the way I had successes and um, challenges but I don't know how well I'd be doing if I'd stayed in denial or never happened upon LCF.

Stick around, make some friends, learn about some good foods on the recipe board to keep you on-plan and for when you're having one of those GAWD, I JUST WANNA BROWNIE days. Err, wait, maybe that's MY particular demon and you won't have a problem.

Take care, and

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 02-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #469
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 210
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: December 3, 2012
Thank you Karyn for the uplifting words of wisdom. I've lurked for 3 months and have been inspired by the stories, recipes, and product usage advice on the LCF site. I'll definitely stick around and do hope to make some "friends". Again, thanks to you and to all who reveal somethings about themselves. Certainly makes me feel welcome and not alone in the fight ... sounds like Casablanca??
Cats for Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #470
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats for Texas View Post
Thank you Karyn for the uplifting words of wisdom. I've lurked for 3 months and have been inspired by the stories, recipes, and product usage advice on the LCF site. I'll definitely stick around and do hope to make some "friends". Again, thanks to you and to all who reveal somethings about themselves. Certainly makes me feel welcome and not alone in the fight ... sounds like Casablanca??
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hmm, I will have to admit to never having seen Casablanca, however.... No, you are most certainly not alone in the fight!

Karyn [/COLOR]
Old 02-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #471
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rick51
Jewellthief---Just a note to tell you how impressed I was with your request for information from someone who is newly diagnosed.

I am new to this site, T2 diagnosed 10/2007, so I am also adjusting to this new reality. Given the truly unbelieveable wide spectrum of information available concerning the treatment, diet,and medication, not only for the big D, but also cholesterol, hypertension, etc., finding a place where people who have and are experiencing the same challenges, and are willing to share what they have learned is truly a blessing.

Thank you for sharing.
rick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #472
Are we there yet?

[COLOR="DimGray"]Rick, thanks so much for your kind words.

I found LCF on my own journey to learning about diabetes and lowering my blood sugars, and so it's definitely a 'been there, done that' thing for soooooo many of us! Who knows better than we do how a 'bad' fasting glucose can overshadow a morning that started off just fine or how nice it can be to have the board to come tell everyone 'hey, I had a terrific A1c this week!'

Do yourself a favor in familiarizing yourself with the site, making sure that you read through this whole thread. It's a bit of a chore, but if you're anything like the rest of us, we need to absorb as much good information as we can handle (at a time--it can be a LOT at one or two sittings ).

There are sites listed in this thread that will take you to great sources of info, from best LC foods to 'correct' numbers (weight, blood sugars, etc.) you can aim for...

And, hey, we like hearing others' struggles and successes to bolster our own day to day lives too, you know?

Hope to see you as often as you can stop in!

take care,
Karyn[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick51 View Post
Jewellthief---Just a note to tell you how impressed I was with your request for information from someone who is newly diagnosed.

I am new to this site, T2 diagnosed 10/2007, so I am also adjusting to this new reality. Given the truly unbelieveable wide spectrum of information available concerning the treatment, diet,and medication, not only for the big D, but also cholesterol, hypertension, etc., finding a place where people who have and are experiencing the same challenges, and are willing to share what they have learned is truly a blessing.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #473
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artinformation
Stats: 230/193/150
Start Date: Jan 28 2008
Hello dear friends
I was diagnoised with diabetes, high blood pressure and very high cholertoral in 7/07 when I went in to have blood work done for an upcomming back operation. Beteen July-Jan I have lost 30 lbs. I wasn't doing low carb but watching what I ate. My blood sugars were still high. 130-180. I started Atkins January 2008. My numbers are down 100-130 fasting and after meals but I am having a really hard time losing any weight. First 2 weeks of induction I lost 3 lbs but I regained it all back. I fell off the wagon for a few days. Today I am re-starting induction again. Do you think my lack of weight loss is due to medication? Four years ago when I did Atkins I lost 50 lbs in 5 months. My medication is listed below

Medformine 500. (1000 mg 2 x a day)
Lipitor 40 mg
Tricor 48 mg
Lisinopril 30 mg
Amlodipine 5 mg

I am really happy with my BS numbers but I really want to lose some weight. During induction I ate very clean. I didn't drink coffee. Drank tons of water None of the low carb packaged foods, candies, shakes etc. This time after 2 weeks of clean induction I am considering on doing the fat fast for a few days if I don't lose. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated
artinformation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #474
Are we there yet?

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hi, there Art!

I don't know of anything concrete to offer as I am unfamiliar with your meds aside from the Metformin. From what I've heard and read, Met is often beneficial to those trying to lose weight. I took 500mg 2x a day when I was first diagnosed and believed it helped me, of course I also radically changed my food and eating habits contributing to a nice weight loss along the way.

I never did the full-on Atkins. I began as you did, watching what I ate and going by the lowfat, lowcal WOE coupled with portion control--which means if a package said 1/2 a cup, I ate only 1/2 a cup of whatever it was.

What I discovered was that "dieting," smaller portions, and meds didn't help enough with lowing my blood sugars--and weight loss slowed to a crawl. It was only after I happened upon LCF that I began reading how too-high carbs was never going to help me lower my numbers. I also started understanding about losing weight better and faster by reducing carbs, eliminating most starches, etc.

You may have little choice but to go low carb full-force until you see your ideal or goal weight coming more closely into view.

You'll want to research your meds (Google is your friend! ) to see if side effects include, or seem to lead to, weight gain... or at the very least, slower loss. Some diabetic meds and insulins make it hard for diabetics to lose or maintain their weight. Check the medical sites like WebMD, and you might also post to other diabetics at Diabetes, Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes - dLife.com to see if others are facing similar drugs/issues.

I'm off my meds since July '07 and my blood sugar range is rarely higher than 150 after a particularly carb-y meal, and most fasting numbers are between 80 and 95. The thing is, we're all so very different, and what works for one of us might not work for us all--we all have different genetics, meds, life-situations, stresses, willpower, stubbornness , and we all have our up days and down days.

Try to learn what works for YOU, and then make a commitment to yourself to treat yourself the way you would want someone to treat you... and to the best of your ability, live up to it.

As I've stayed on low carb for the last couple of years, I maintain more so than losing, but when I really buckle down and eat right, I know I can still lose... although it's much more slowly for me now. I think as your system adjusts to fewer carbs and losing slows, things that never bothered you before can become an inadvertent hurdle. For women especially, age, hormones, monthly changes, menopause, etc. can all work against us rather than for us. Men probably struggle in similar ways... I know I personally lost faster in my 20s than I do now in my 40s, and you may need to realize weight loss can still happen--it just may happen much slower, taking more effort and sacrifices, to get you there.

Take care,
Karyn[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinformation View Post
Hello dear friends
I was diagnoised with diabetes, high blood pressure and very high cholertoral in 7/07 when I went in to have blood work done for an upcomming back operation. Beteen July-Jan I have lost 30 lbs. I wasn't doing low carb but watching what I ate. My blood sugars were still high. 130-180. I started Atkins January 2008. My numbers are down 100-130 fasting and after meals but I am having a really hard time losing any weight. First 2 weeks of induction I lost 3 lbs but I regained it all back. I fell off the wagon for a few days. Today I am re-starting induction again. Do you think my lack of weight loss is due to medication? Four years ago when I did Atkins I lost 50 lbs in 5 months. My medication is listed below

Medformine 500. (1000 mg 2 x a day)
Lipitor 40 mg
Tricor 48 mg
Lisinopril 30 mg
Amlodipine 5 mg

I am really happy with my BS numbers but I really want to lose some weight. During induction I ate very clean. I didn't drink coffee. Drank tons of water None of the low carb packaged foods, candies, shakes etc. This time after 2 weeks of clean induction I am considering on doing the fat fast for a few days if I don't lose. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated
Old 02-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #475
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artinformation
Stats: 230/193/150
Start Date: Jan 28 2008
Hi Karyn
Thank you so much for your very imformative info. I will check on meds and keep doing low carb. What was your numbers like when your doc took you off the meds? Did he do that 3 month test is it caled AIC? I would love to get this diabetes under control and get off the meds. With your numbers now without medication are you still considered diabetic or can you say that you have overcome it? Good luck
artinformation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #476
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinformation View Post
Hi Karyn
Thank you so much for your very imformative info. I will check on meds and keep doing low carb. What was your numbers like when your doc took you off the meds? Did he do that 3 month test is it caled AIC? I would love to get this diabetes under control and get off the meds. With your numbers now without medication are you still considered diabetic or can you say that you have overcome it? Good luck
[COLOR="Blue"]Hello again!

I was having an A1c test done every 3-4 months from the time I was diagnosed in November '06. My first test (which is what she initially diagnosed me with, although it's not recommended by most, I've read) reading was 7.8 and she told me they generally like it to be about 6. I've heard of some people who tested at 13 and above!

As soon as I got on the medication and began watching meals and portions, I did better, testing lower each time. It took 10 months of losing weight and eating predominantly LC for her to reduce me to 1 Metformin 1x per day, and by that time my A1c tested at 4.5, and I was averaging in the mid- to high-90s on daily testing.

It then took another 10 months, A1c in about the 4.6 range, to drop the Met altogether. My average daily tests are usually less than 100, and often closer to 85 as long as I stay tightly LC on my food. If I have a couple days or more where I eat 30 carbs (net) or more, I will see an increase especially at fasting, which is when I test the most consistently.

Once she took me to 1 pill a day she also said I could drop back to testing once a day instead of 4x a day, which is what I started with. Personally, I will still test more often if I don't feel well or if I eat/drink something very different than I normally would--like having a normal sugary dessert as a treat. Or if I have some bread at a restaurant, or pasta. (I eat small portions of pasta at home. If you like pasta dishes, check into Dreamfields and see if it spikes your sugar levels; mine are very manageable eating it, but not everyone does as well.)

Those are less than once or twice a month though, and always small portions. Trust me, the way my blood sugar skyrockets when I eat things I know better than to eat, my numbers show it.

As to your question about overcoming diabetes... Purely my own opinion follows.

I have read that once you cross that line and are pronounced 'diabetic' that you can better your numbers and extend your life to that of a healthy, non-diabetic person, if you're lucky, but that you are never again not diabetic.

I have read still others say they are 'cured' or even that their doctors pronounced them 'cured,' and I'm no doctor, but I am not a believer. If you are pre-diabetic, eating healthy you might be lucky enough to pull yourself back from a precipice, but once you know your body reacts strongly to the high-carb foods that every diabetic knows is wrong for them (and I've tested religiously; I know I am diabetic till the end of my days), you can only fool yourself if you let yourself think you are 'cured.'

The day I can eat a donut or a regular sandwich or drink a sugar-filled regular soda and there isn't a blip on my radar, I might say otherwise. Truly non-diabetic people will rarely or never see their blood sugar go over 100, maybe 110. No matter what they eat, or how much!

But all of those foods affect my blood sugar badly with NO QUESTION. And I would bet you if those once-diabetics still tested themselves after eating 'regular' starchy, carby food, they would see their sugars skyrocket too. Some people are just better able to fib to themselves, and I can't do that.

Yikes, a little long-winded here, and I apologize for that. Just try to give as honest an answer as I can.

Post back anytime, and feel free to PM me if you like. I'm a night owl and try to check in most days.... Take care and good luck to you too!

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 02-21-2008, 07:13 AM   #477
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
Start Date: 6-14-03
I have to agree with Karyn's opinion about whether the diabetes is cured or not. I think it can be very well "controlled" in many/some people through low carb eating, exercise, etc. But if that person went back to high carb junk food and couch potato life style their diabetes would flare right back.

I felt like being diagnosed diabetic was almost a death sentence of sorts. My inital bad blood sugar reading was 222 when tested at a diabetes info booth at a festival. They told me it should never be that high no matter what I'd just eaten. I got to my doc ASAP and my inital A1c was between 12 and 13- I did not even know what that meant at the time. I know I had felt bad for a while and tired all the time.

For the past almost almost 5 years I have been low carbing, mostly Atkins but have tried some other variations also. My A1c are always in the 5's now. And I have not developed even the beginnings of any of the bad complications that can come. I know because I and my doctor keep a close check on it all, like blood tests, dilated eye exams, etc.

I am one (of probably many) that now feels like becoming diabetic was a blessing in disguise.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #478
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi!

In all my reading about diabetes, I agree with Karyn. Once a diabetic, you ARE a diabetic because your metabolism is different than before.

However, you can control diabetes and for some, they can completely eliminate medications, as Karyn has. Not everyone can though and it takes time, testing and a good relationship with your doctor, telling him of your desires and asking for help to get there.

I firmly believe the only way for a diabetic to eat for their health is low or moderate carbs.

When I was diagnosed (in the ER for chest pains) my blood sugar was over 550. In fact, my meter did not go any higher. And my A1c was 8. Since I've been watching my carbs and eating low carb (other than a couple of cheat days ) I've lost more than 40 pounds and my A1cs are in the 5.5 area and my doc has reduced my Metformin from 1000 mg twice a day to 500 mg twice a day. I see him again in 6 months.

It is S-L-O-W losing sometimes, but we have to understand that this is a true way of eating for the diabetic, not just a diet. I would stay away from the quick fixes as these can really mess with your metabolism.

Hang in there and take baby steps, be consistent and you will see the weight come off and most importantly, your blood glucose readings will be in the good range.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #479
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi,

I wanted to say thank you for someone here recommending Dr. Bernstein's book - it is very good!

Low carb is the way -
Old 02-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #480
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HI!

'Twas me I believe! And yes, I love his book. Lots of great help! He has a cookbook to go along with it, BTW.