Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maeve
Stats: 224/219/178
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Ongoing
Hi, you guys. I'm hanging in there with my induction. I am very sad today, though...and I feel like eating comfort food or liquid comfort! I had to put my aged sheltie to sleep today. I've been crying on and off. I think if I was doing Atkins for obesity instead of for my diabetes, I would be into the Canadian Mist by now. I feel like getting my husband to bring me home some pork rinds....trying to be good -- diabetic good.
Maeve is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #392
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcelt View Post
Hi, you guys. I'm hanging in there with my induction. I am very sad today, though...and I feel like eating comfort food or liquid comfort! I had to put my aged sheltie to sleep today. I've been crying on and off. I think if I was doing Atkins for obesity instead of for my diabetes, I would be into the Canadian Mist by now. I feel like getting my husband to bring me home some pork rinds....trying to be good -- diabetic good.
[COLOR="Indigo"] I am so sorry to hear about your beloved pet... that isn't ever an easy thing to do, isn't it? We know in our heads they aren't able to be themselves anymore, are often so, so sick, but our hearts ache for them to still be with us.

The thing I'm finding is that the comforting seems so short-lived with food, and when we see the rise in our BG, whatever we ate makes us feel worse for having eaten it. Food has often been our go-to thing that makes us feel better, because when we're warm and full, it gives us a general sense of well being perhaps?

You are doing good! You're taking care of yourself by watching what you eat and not drinking, and even though you're hurting like hell, you are being good to yourself... not going down that darker path.

Do you have any friends or family you could call? Someone who also has or has had pets and can understand your loss? It's gonna hurt, hon, and it may be a while yet before you think of your dog without tears threatening to spill over. It was that way for me when I had to have my cat put to sleep a few years ago... He was just the dearest thing to me, and I still miss him every day.

Hang in there and let us know how you're doing... You are not alone.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #393
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyskies View Post
Karyn, I totally agree with you...food can be so evil! When I went to the drug store this evening to pick up my asthma meds, I couldn't resist buying some sugar free truffles and almond & caramel candy. I ate 3 pieces and savored every bite!
[COLOR="Blue"]Oh, wow, I am SO with you on this! Whether I choose to indulge in a typical "no no" treat or something that's healthier for me, I make myself taste and savor each bite. I am still amazed at how good even a tiny something can taste when I take the time to enjoy it rather than scarfing it down! [/COLOR]

Quote:
I'll make a deal with you...I'll start tomorrow morning off on the right foot with you. It's going to be a busy morning, but I have to somehow fit in breakfast before I leave the house, otherwise, I won't have a chance to eat again until after 12 o'clock. I have to take my daughter to school at 8:30, and then I go right to my Bible study, and that doesn't get over with until 11:30. Tomorrow we're having fellowship afterwards, so I'll pick up a salad for my lunch. I'm so mad at myself because I lost 30 lbs over the summer and then put almost 10 of it back on. I seem to always stall out at 30 lbs. I don't know why I can't lose past 30, but I really need to. I think I chicken out or something. I don't know what my problem is.
[COLOR="Blue"]Okay, it's a deal!! I'm late in posting, how did you do today...? Did you manage breakfast with the day you had planned?! I didn't have anywhere to go today, but some days that seems to be worse for me--being home allows me too much time to think about what I could be eating. Nights are my downfall.

But this morning I had eggs and bacon, a typical "good for me" meal. I often have a lower blood sugar after eating that than before I started, and for lunch I had a half can of chicken with mayo, a half cup of carb control yogurt, and 4 tiny pickles (and yeah, they are tiny--less than two inches each ). I'm not going induction-low on my carbs but I'm going to make a concerted effort to dial it back and eat the way I KNOW is good for me.

(but there's still 3 brownies left... )[/COLOR]

Quote:
It's nice to know we're not alone with our food struggles. I had no trouble quitting smoking years ago, but I am so envious of people who have it together where food is concerned. That is one area I just can't get a grip on and it's so maddening! I've struggled my whole life with weight and sometimes I just get so tired of having the same old struggle. Oh well, everybody has something they have to contend with, whether it be alcohol, drugs or whatever. Mine happens to be food. Pretty hard, though, when you need food to survive and must eat everyday.
[COLOR="Blue"]Oh my goodness, you quit smoking? Good for you!! I was never a smoker but I have friends/family who are, and that has to be one of the harder things to tackle, at least IMO.

Now, food, yeah that's a toughie too--we HAVE to eat, right? But it's the quality and quantity of what we're eating that's the kicker. My mom bought me the Sugar Busters diet book years ago when I mentioned giving it a try after I'd seen stories about people's weight loss success with it... I thumbed through that book and saw that every single thing I ate was something that would be cut out--it was very similar to Atkins in the types of foods to stay away from. I then dismissed it completely and never picked it up again.

Had I tried the suggested way of eating, I might have not only lost weight but prevented diabetes 10 years later!

Live and learn. [/COLOR]

Quote:
Good luck tomorrow on a new start! We can do this.
[COLOR="Blue"]Hope you had a good day today; mine's at least off to a good start... The true test will come tonight as I'm sitting and watching TV.

Anyone else want to join us? The more the merrier, and I don't know about you guys, but I always make better choices when I have to be accountable. To more than just myself, I mean.

Stormy and I started again TODAY... how about you???

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 11-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #394
Notorious Veteran who doesn't know when to stop!

Location: Where I wish I could see my reflection in the snow covered hills...
Gallery: Stormyskies
Stats: Too embarrassed to tell ya!
WOE: Mostly Atkins, but not as strick as I should be!!!
Start Date: Over and over and over and over...
Quote:
goodcelt, I'm so sorry to hear about your Sheltie. That's never an easy thing to go through. My heart goes out to you. We lost our beloved Frampton, a beautiful pure black cat with golden/orange eyes, due to a dog attack 3 years ago and I'm still grieveing for him. I miss him! He would always jump on my back while I was bent over the sink brushing my teeth and I would have to wait until he was ready to move on before I could straighten back up. Our pets become such a big part of our lives and when they're gone, it truly hurts clear through your soul.
Stormyskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelthief View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]Oh, wow, I am SO with you on this! Whether I choose to indulge in a typical "no no" treat or something that's healthier for me, I make myself taste and savor each bite. I am still amazed at how good even a tiny something can taste when I take the time to enjoy it rather than scarfing it down! [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]Okay, it's a deal!! I'm late in posting, how did you do today...? Did you manage breakfast with the day you had planned?! I didn't have anywhere to go today, but some days that seems to be worse for me--being home allows me too much time to think about what I could be eating. Nights are my downfall.

But this morning I had eggs and bacon, a typical "good for me" meal. I often have a lower blood sugar after eating that than before I started, and for lunch I had a half can of chicken with mayo, a half cup of carb control yogurt, and 4 tiny pickles (and yeah, they are tiny--less than two inches each ). I'm not going induction-low on my carbs but I'm going to make a concerted effort to dial it back and eat the way I KNOW is good for me.

(but there's still 3 brownies left... )[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]Oh my goodness, you quit smoking? Good for you!! I was never a smoker but I have friends/family who are, and that has to be one of the harder things to tackle, at least IMO.

Now, food, yeah that's a toughie too--we HAVE to eat, right? But it's the quality and quantity of what we're eating that's the kicker. My mom bought me the Sugar Busters diet book years ago when I mentioned giving it a try after I'd seen stories about people's weight loss success with it... I thumbed through that book and saw that every single thing I ate was something that would be cut out--it was very similar to Atkins in the types of foods to stay away from. I then dismissed it completely and never picked it up again.

Had I tried the suggested way of eating, I might have not only lost weight but prevented diabetes 10 years later!

Live and learn. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]Hope you had a good day today; mine's at least off to a good start... The true test will come tonight as I'm sitting and watching TV.

Anyone else want to join us? The more the merrier, and I don't know about you guys, but I always make better choices when I have to be accountable. To more than just myself, I mean.

Stormy and I started again TODAY... how about you???

Karyn[/COLOR]
Karyn, the day started off great. I had Morning Star Farm sausage patties and a scrambled egg with cheese in it for breakfast. For lunch, I had a chicken club salad from Arby's...and then I got a call that my soon-to-be 91 year old dad had fallen on the cement outside the bank and dislocated his shoulder. After spending hours at the ER, needless to say, dinner didn't go so well. I ended up having a double-double hambuger from in & out. And :blush:...when I walked into the drug store to pick up my dad's pain pills, I noticed they had these Cashew Snowball Christmas Cookies ...and I bought some. They were delightful and served the immediate purpose, but now I am done with them. My mom just loved them, too. They tasted exactly how I thought they would, too.

But, this is not an excuse. I plan on starting tomorrow off on the right track again and hopefully the day will end better than it did today. I am determined to reel myself in!

BTW, whatever happened to them brownies?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #396
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyskies View Post
Karyn, the day started off great. I had Morning Star Farm sausage patties and a scrambled egg with cheese in it for breakfast. For lunch, I had a chicken club salad from Arby's...and then I got a call that my soon-to-be 91 year old dad had fallen on the cement outside the bank and dislocated his shoulder. After spending hours at the ER, needless to say, dinner didn't go so well. I ended up having a double-double hambuger from in & out. And :blush:...when I walked into the drug store to pick up my dad's pain pills, I noticed they had these Cashew Snowball Christmas Cookies ...and I bought some. They were delightful and served the immediate purpose, but now I am done with them. My mom just loved them, too. They tasted exactly how I thought they would, too.

But, this is not an excuse. I plan on starting tomorrow off on the right track again and hopefully the day will end better than it did today. I am determined to reel myself in!

BTW, whatever happened to them brownies?
[COLOR="Blue"]The brownies are currently lurking in the kitchen while I think about whether to eat them. I think I have sufficiently escaped detection tonight, but they will find me come tomorrow. They are LC, the Big Train brand Netrition carries, but they are way too yummy and carby for my own good. I guess they are better than typical desserts but yep, carbier than I need... I may have to wait awhile before I buy those again.

So how's your dad?!! That sounds like it would be incredibly painful, but I guess it could have been worse? Older bones are so fragile... I hope they were able to ease his pain and that you & your mom are no worse for wear after those cookies. I tell you, food IS evil!!!

Hope you sleep well and have a good breakfast... I'm really not much of a breakfast person, I can eat any meal any time of the day. My roommate made me some homemade chicken soup tonight, which I dearly love and is very LC. Two hours after a bowl tonight (a big bowl!), my sugar was awesome! So I um, had another bowl. :blush: And it was good too so that is why I cannot hear the siren call of the brownies just now... laalalaaalalaaa... Nope, can't hear a thing!

See ya tomorrow!

Karyn[/COLOR]

Last edited by Jewelthief; 11-06-2007 at 10:15 PM..
Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 AM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Jewelthief and Stormy Skies -- Thank you so much for your kind replies regarding my sheltie, Bonnie. It was really hard and I wish I hadn't had to do what I had to do. My vet was very kind. I also talked to some friends later about it. I have two other dogs but it doesn't matter...yesterday was very painful. I took one of the other ones to be groomed and when I picked her up, they gave me a sympathy card. It was beautiful...had a constellation of a dog on a midnight blue background. I didn't open it until I got home...lots of crying yesterday.

And Stormy Skies, I'm sorry your dad fell. I hope he isn't hurting for long...wow.

On the food part of yesterday, I didn't cheat. I messed up my first breakfast, though, so, I made another one when I got home. Had DH pick me up a bag of pork rinds on the way home from the store -- ate the whole thing. Woke up a pound lighter today. I didn't go to the gym yesterday, either...I just couldn't. But I'm going to go today.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #398
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Jewelthief and Stormy Skies -- Thank you so much for your kind replies regarding my sheltie, Bonnie. It was really hard and I wish I hadn't had to do what I had to do. My vet was very kind. I also talked to some friends later about it. I have two other dogs but it doesn't matter...yesterday was very painful. I took one of the other ones to be groomed and when I picked her up, they gave me a sympathy card. It was beautiful...had a constellation of a dog on a midnight blue background. I didn't open it until I got home...lots of crying yesterday.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Aw... Wasn't that sweet of them? There's really nothing that makes it easier, losing a beloved pet, other than time. And though it may not seem like it right now, having your other two dogs will bring you comfort. If I had not had my other two cats (and for years it was just me and Mer), I don't think I could have taken his loss. He was my heart. And then earlier this year we lost our female cat to something we still don't know what happened, and she and I had never been close, but then we had been getting closer & closer, so losing her suddenly after finding a friend in her was real hard.

They just mean so much to us in our lives, and the tears are good.... They help relieve the pain and keep it from staying bottled up inside you. If you feel tears welling up, try to take a few minutes for yourself to miss her. [/COLOR]

Quote:
On the food part of yesterday, I didn't cheat. I messed up my first breakfast, though, so, I made another one when I got home. Had DH pick me up a bag of pork rinds on the way home from the store -- ate the whole thing. Woke up a pound lighter today. I didn't go to the gym yesterday, either...I just couldn't. But I'm going to go today.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Good for you! I never cared much for pork rinds, but they're okay, I use them as filler in meatloaf and it works out great. You know, it's not too hard to not feel deprived on this WOE as long as we always have some LC alternative--and use it! That's tougher some days than others, but if you tumble off the cart, dust yourself off and get right back on. Try not to look too far ahead, concentrate on being the best you that you can be TODAY.

Good to see you again! Hangin' in, right?

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 11-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #399

Coming in kind of late tonight. Had a busy day but a much better day. I just couldn't take the Byetta anymore, so I stopped taking it last night. I woke up in the middle of the night with a racing heart, which I wonder if it weren't from a little withdrawl from not taking it. I had only been on it a little over a week, so I didn't think it would do anything. My headache is gone, the fatigue and weakness I felt was better today and my numbers were a little lower. I've never heard of such a thing, but that stuff really did make my blood sugars soar. The nurse on the phone with me this morning said, "But it's not supposed to raise your blood sugar." No duh, girl! But it did! Haven't heard back yet if she'll put me on Januvia, which is what I requested. I don't know too much about Januvia myself, but I'd read that some people really liked it. Hope I made the right decision.

I did pretty well today, but only managed to slip in 2 meals as it was a busy day. Tomorrow I will try to fit in some more snacks to level out my BS. However...tomorrow I am baking my daddy a Chocolate Malt Cake for his birthday on Friday, which he saw in Paula Deen's Christmas Baking magazine. I don't know about you, but when I bake a 3 layer chocolate cake, chances are one of the pieces will have my name on it. So I plan on being good all day on Friday!!! Tomorrow, I think I'll grill some marinated steaks and make a delicious casserole using cauliflower instead of potatoes. Once I changed the recipe out with cauliflower, I was just thrilled to find that I didn't miss the potatoes at all and the flavor remained out of this world. A nice side salad would be good to round out the meal, too.

I never much cared for pork rinds, either. I tried to eat them with onion dip, but just couldn't get past what it was. Now, if it were fried chicken skins, I might like those! Why hasn't anyone thought up the idea of making chicken rinds out of all that skin they yank off the bone, skinless chicken breasts? I'll buy them!

It's been a long day and I'm about to head off to bed pretty soon. I've got a load of laundry to put in the dryer yet and then it's nighty night! Hope it was a good one for everyone.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:40 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Maybe you could make yourself a flourless chocolate layer cake so as to not feel left out. I don't know...just a suggestion. But in any case, I hope you have a nice time with your father. Your menu sounds delicious.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #401

How are you feeling, goodcelt? Is the heaviness of sadness kind of lifting now? I hope so.

Well, I couldn't resist. I ended up making a pretty darn good looking cake, if I do say so myself and I couldn't resisit. It was delicious! I'll post a picture of it so you can see it. It was worth it because my dad is worth it. He's doing better, also. He's still in some pain, but not nearly as bad.

I ate left over bbq'ed chicken and some cauliflower casserole for dinner tonight. Not especially hungry because I think I'm coming down with something. So far, it's just sitting there doing nothing. Maybe if I get enough sleep and rest, I'll out smart it and it won't take hold. I'm hoping so!

Hope you all are doing well. I started on a new medication called Glyburide. I wanted Januvia, but she put me on this. I've never heard of this, so I'll see what happens. Hopefully I won't have any bad side effects.

Have a good evening everyone.

Forgot to show you my cake!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daddy's birthday cake.jpg (56.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Stormyskies; 11-10-2007 at 06:00 PM..
Old 11-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #402
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Stormyskies. Thank you so much for asking me how I'm doing. Much better, thank you. It has been weird a couple of times, going to scoop out food for 3 bowls when I only have two dogs to scoop for now. And, tonight I'm watching The Wizard of Oz and when Elvira Gulch comes to take poor little Toto away to have him destroyed, I lost it. But I am ok now.

Glad you made your cake and gave your Dad a nice birthday.

I bought some Stevia today and am using it in my cup of decaf tea tonight, and also, I made some pumpkin stuff to eat. I was craving it. So, I beat an egg into 1 oz. of softened cream cheese, added 1/2 cup pumpkin and some cinnamon, and about 10 drops of Stevia. I nuked it for about 2 minutes. Next time, I will add more Stevia to it, as I ended up pouring some DaVinci's sf maple over it! But yeah...I felt like I had my pumpkin pie.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #403
Major LCF Poster!

That is one fancy cake!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
Has anyone seen the thread in the main lobby on blood sugar and appetite? I tried it the last couple of days and it helped me a little I think. I couldnt loose any wt in some time but I was down a pound this morning coincidence? I couldnt get any vinegar in today as we bouht a car and I couldnt get anything to eat the whole time we were at the dealership except from junk machine. We hadnt bought a new car in 14 years if I had known I would have brought a snack so I didnt eat from 9:00 till 4:00 but I didnt buy junk. Was wondering how sugar alcohols like splenda affect your sugars?
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #405
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I read that that liquid splenda and splenda tablets don't make it spike, but that powdered does. I just read it last weekend. The only way to know if it is doing it to you is to test your sugar.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #406
Are we there yet?

[COLOR="Indigo"]Hello, ladies!

I have caught my roommate's sinus infection and feel pretty rotten... I have meds for it, which is good, but it doesn't quite vanquish the blah/nastiness, but it makes it more bearable.

I'm keeping my eating mostly in line, my fasting BG has been under 100 for a week now, and before I was running in the low to mid 100s, which was unusual for me when I eat "right" so that was further proof I wasn't doing myself any good.

When I was taking diabetic meds, the Metformin helped me a lot with my appetite, even at the smallest dose that I was taking until August. I am elated and dismayed at the same time that I can control my sugar with diet alone, because on the one hand, this is great news! yet on the other hand, it doesn't allow me any real wiggle room on eating higher carbs. And I don't mean cake and candies, I mean LC foods which might not adversely affect your "normal," non-diabetic person.

Stormy, that cake looks just gorgeous! I bet it was yummy too. Your dad is a lucky fella to have such a sweet daughter in his life! Glad to know he's not in so much pain and has you & your mom there with him.

Now I am going to recommend something that I use to help me stay away from the sugary, carby sweets, and if you try it yourself, I bet you'll agree it's delish!

Dixie Diner Carb Counters Ready-to-Eat Fudge

I have personally bought the peanut butter and the regular chocolate, and I am thinking of trying the pecan caramel next. Is it your usual sugary fudge? Probably not. I remember my aunt making me homemade chocolate fudge once years ago, and this tastes nothing like that but wow, is it ever good anyway. It comes in a container about the size of an 8-inch round cake pan, and you cut each quarter into 4 pieces to equal out 1-ounce servings.

That seems small, but it's not! And it is very satisfying too... So the next time you're thinking TREAT, think ahead and get you some of this. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, and you won't miss regular goodies quite so much.

I'm putting some in my basket tonight. With Thanksgiving coming up, I want to have something on hand so I won't be crazed thinking of everything I shouldn't have (then have anyway).

Okay, enough rambling tonight, girls. Keep your chin up and check in for a smile, to share your progress, or while you're waiting on the dryer to buzz!

See you then.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 11-11-2007, 10:35 PM   #407
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon View Post
Has anyone seen the thread in the main lobby on blood sugar and appetite? I tried it the last couple of days and it helped me a little I think. I couldnt loose any wt in some time but I was down a pound this morning coincidence? I couldnt get any vinegar in today as we bouht a car and I couldnt get anything to eat the whole time we were at the dealership except from junk machine. We hadnt bought a new car in 14 years if I had known I would have brought a snack so I didnt eat from 9:00 till 4:00 but I didnt buy junk. Was wondering how sugar alcohols like splenda affect your sugars?
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Hi, soon!

I haven't seen that thread but I mostly check my subscriptions when I get on here and don't always drop into the main lobby... I'll be interested to read through it.

When you mention vinegar, are you trying out the apple cider vinegar? If not, consider that I haven't been to the thread yet, but I have read of others using ACV in their daily plan to help with LCing as well as BG control.

I didn't notice any change in myself when I tried it, for the good or bad, but I might just be someone whom it didn't affect while others would find it helpful.

I use Splenda a lot, both in foods I buy and as a sweetener for drinks, to sprinkle on fruits, desserts, etc. It has never affected me negatively that I am aware of and seems to have no noticeable affect on my BG.

Others are not so lucky and you may want to monitor yourself when you've ingested some to note how or if it affects you personally. One thing I find time and again... all diabetics are not created equal. What doesn't affect one, might affect another, and some can eat higher carbs tolerating them well, while others can't process carbs well at all.

Test yourself and then you'll know for certain.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 11-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #408
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mae2mac
Stats: 310/269/180
WOE: WW
Start Date: June 2005
What do you all eat for snacks? I'm supposed to limit my snack carbs to 15 grams and my meal carbs to 50 grams. I go back and see the diabetes doctor at the end of the month. She was going to put me on Metformin. I told her I had read something online that if you had kidney or liver problems you shouldn't take this med. She said she was going to ask the doctor who handles kidney patients what med I should be on. Bad enough I'm dealing with psoriasis also. Now having to stick myself 3 times a day. If I don't keep the schedule in front of my at all times I forget to stick.
mae2mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
karyn I have been using straight vinegar need to get more strips and see if it helps. Mae I try to low carb my snacks eat hb egg, fage with some davinci syrup, fried or microwaved mozarella every now and than I indulge in mini bag of popcorn.
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

For snack, I eat an ounce of real cheese or sometimes, a mock danish (if I'm home). I even ate pork rinds last week. I haven't boiled any eggs yet because I have eggs every morning for breakfast. But I think my favorite snack is that ounce of cheese that I treat myself to.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #411
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae2mac View Post
What do you all eat for snacks? I'm supposed to limit my snack carbs to 15 grams and my meal carbs to 50 grams. I go back and see the diabetes doctor at the end of the month. She was going to put me on Metformin. I told her I had read something online that if you had kidney or liver problems you shouldn't take this med. She said she was going to ask the doctor who handles kidney patients what med I should be on. Bad enough I'm dealing with psoriasis also. Now having to stick myself 3 times a day. If I don't keep the schedule in front of my at all times I forget to stick.
[COLOR="Blue"]Hi, Mae.. are you a Mac fan too?

When I snack, it's usually cheese (love the little 1 oz. pre-packaged sizes, so handy!), or an ounce of nuts like pecans, almonds, macadamias, or a 1/2 cup of the carb control yogurt by dannon, or an 8 oz. cup of calorie countdown milk... I know all of the above are very low carb but filling for me, and it sounds like you have even more options if you limit yourself only to 15 carbs or less. Think berries, perhaps 1/2 a small apple...

Did your doctor have you see a dietician when your were diagnosed?

Mine did, I had a class to teach me how & when to test and how often. You should test yourself before breakfast, 2 hours after the first bite of breakfast, lunch, dinner, and some folks test again before bed. Many of us also test ourselves on a similar schedule if we eat something we don't know might affect our sugars negatively (meaning, some foods cause a higher blood sugar reading than others, and then we try to limit or avoid those).

If you didn't attend a diabetes education class, you might ask your doctor if he/she would advise you of one. In addition, empower yourself and check out some books & websites that are highly recommended by and for other diabetics.

You might read through this thread and familiarize yourself with various questions and suggestions that we've all found helpful at one time or another.

Hope to see you around!

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 11-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #412
Are we there yet?

Quote:
For snack, I eat an ounce of real cheese or sometimes, a mock danish (if I'm home). I even ate pork rinds last week. I haven't boiled any eggs yet because I have eggs every morning for breakfast. But I think my favorite snack is that ounce of cheese that I treat myself to.
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]That's mine too. I seem to have gotten into the habit of my bite o' cheese and a cup of CC milk just before bed.... So yummy!

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 11-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

You know what I'm missing, though? My splenda. I quit using the powdered kind because I read that it spikes your sugar. I bought some splenda tablets and I bought some stevia over the weekend. I must say, the stevia kind of freaks me out...and I'm not sure if I like the flavor of it or not. I'm sort of mixed on what to do...I love my splenda. But I love getting my sugar down in the normal range even better. Anyone else have these feelings?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #414
Are we there yet?

Quote:
You know what I'm missing, though? My splenda. I quit using the powdered kind because I read that it spikes your sugar. I bought some splenda tablets and I bought some stevia over the weekend. I must say, the stevia kind of freaks me out...and I'm not sure if I like the flavor of it or not. I'm sort of mixed on what to do...I love my splenda. But I love getting my sugar down in the normal range even better. Anyone else have these feelings?
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]I bought some of the stevia and never tried it, but I use splenda all the time without any problems!

Have you tested yourself whenever you've eaten or drank something sweetened using splenda?

I know Dr. Bernstein didn't think as highly of the powdered version because all of the powdered sweeteners in the blue, yellow and pink packets have a filler that keeps them from being *just* the sugar substitute, however different people have experienced different reactions from their bodies from using one SS or another--but how does it affect YOU personally?

And if it's affected your own sugars by testing higher, what did you eat/use it with? Sometimes it takes narrowing down what we put into our system to know exactly what the culprit was.

I would so miss it if I could no longer use it, and I wish SS's were as useful/not harmful to us all.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 11-12-2007, 11:13 PM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

Well, no, I don't test. Since I am pre-diabetic, have hyperinsulinemia, etc., etc., he never gave me one (if they give you a precription, they are free) and never told me to test it. I guess it's since it is so low. I was 101 in October. That was down from 108 in April. But yeah, that stevia stuff freaks me out. It's kind of nasty.

I know alot of people like it and I went out and bought it because I thought it was going to be a good thing for me to use -- you know, no sugar, no carb to count. but I just don't know...
Old 11-13-2007, 06:56 AM   #416
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mae2mac
Stats: 310/269/180
WOE: WW
Start Date: June 2005
mae2mac are my initials

My husband bought a dell computer. Still trying to pay it off.
mae2mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #417
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae2mac View Post
My husband bought a dell computer. Still trying to pay it off.
[COLOR="Blue"]Yeah, doesn't always feel worth it but whatever it takes to get you where you need to be, right?

What did we do before computers and internet and video recorders and and and...?

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 11-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #418
Are we there yet?

coughing that won't let up...

[COLOR="Green"]Hey, everyone

Terrible sinus infection for me this week, been mostly miserable but bearable until last night when the coughing would just NOT stop. I ended up using some of roommate's Hall's throat lozenges, which helped and didn't appear to mess with my sugar, but this morning I was much, much higher than I have been--and I had been being good on my foods too!

Do any of you use something OTC for coughs, and if so (or not), what do you use?

Thanks. Guess I've been lucky at not getting sick these past 2 years but it caught me this week.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 11-13-2007, 01:56 PM   #419
Major LCF Poster!

Canadian Mist, hot tea, and sugar-free lozenges, and not necessarily in that order! But seriously, those syrups don't really do you any good. Just drink lots of fluids and I especially believe that the hot ones are best. Hope you are feeling better.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #420
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Canadian Mist, hot tea, and sugar-free lozenges, and not necessarily in that order! But seriously, those syrups don't really do you any good. Just drink lots of fluids and I especially believe that the hot ones are best. Hope you are feeling better.
[COLOR="Blue"]Well, I'm not choking to date tonight but I'm gonna keep your list in mind in case I get into trouble later.

Karyn[/COLOR]