Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #361
Major LCF Poster!
 
Grammie C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast FLORIDA
Posts: 2,465
Gallery: Grammie C
Stats: 37 lbs lost goal lose 100 lbs more
WOE: ~CONSISTANCY~
Start Date: 4/07 RESTART 9/2011
Hi and Good Morning,

this is my 1st Time posting in this thread.

I have been posting in LCFriends since mid May 2007.
I have been on the LC WOL since April 9 without any meds and have lost 55 lbs.
Still obese I need to lose much more and will work at it.

I read here that it is thoght that Progestrone has a connection to BS counts.
Would someone here post how the cream is used and where it is applied.
On the arm if so what part?

I have it and I am confused and know very little about it but would like to use
it correcly. How often do you apply it for instance?

I have had prediabetes for 4 yrs as far as I see and I am getting worse because
I am 117 at bedtime and 144 when I wake up.

I am going to Diabetes classes for three evenings next week.

I Love and Feel Better on the LC WOL. I do Love the food on it and have more energy.

__________________
Carol

Last edited by Grammie C; 08-14-2007 at 08:15 AM..
Grammie C is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #362
Senior LCF Member
 
dreamerdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: central OH
Posts: 330
Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6-14-03
Hi Carol & welcome

Wow, you have done great with the weight loss! Congratulations on your progress.

I am 52 and use bio-identical progesterone and estrogen that are prescribed by my gyn. I don't know that it has particularly helped my blood sugar readings or ability to lose weight, but it has cut down on night sweats that were interfering with my sleep. And sleep problems can hinder weight loss.

You may want to post a new thread on the main health/medical board with your progesterone question. NonstickPam (of the long thyroid thread) knows a lot about these things.

As for the diabetes classes, I believe they still push the traditional food pyramid which emphasizes a lot of carbs. When I had that class and an individual meeting with a nurse and dietician they prescibed 13 servings of carbs per day for me (at 15 grams per serving). Yikes, way way too much carbs. But they did show how big, or actually small, a serving was. That was kind of shocking!
__________________
Best wishes,
-dee k.

Last edited by dreamerdee; 08-14-2007 at 09:22 AM..
dreamerdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #363
Major LCF Poster!
 
mermaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Posts: 1,859
Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Hi Coriander,
Congrats on your weight loss!

Technically, a morning reading over 120 for a few days in a row is diabetes. Sounds like you might be there?

I've used NOW and Life Flo Progestacare. I like the Progestacare better. It says to apply to soft skin areas like inner thighs, belly, inner arms, etc. It pre-measures one squirt. You can apply once or twice a day, starting on the 12th day of the cycle until the next period starts, or every day if menopausal. There are other brands to use. I just bought some Progestelle but haven't use it yet.
__________________
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #364
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Pcola Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: P'Cola, Florida
Posts: 4,277
Gallery: Pcola Girl
Stats: Start-325 Today-225 Goal 160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sarted Nov. 2000---Restarted New January 2008
I have been having problems with my sugar levels, when I check it its around 104 in the mornings and 110 in the evenings and I thought that was in the normal range but my doctor said it was high and that my blood tests showed it was in the 6.5 range which means I have diabetes, so he put me on some pills to take now.
I thought the finger prick readings had to be alot higher than that for anyone to have diabetes.
Is it something I am eating that can cause the blood tests reading to be high when the other is lower...I just don't under stand
__________________
Mary
Pcola Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #365
Major LCF Poster!
 
mermaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Posts: 1,859
Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Pcola Girl,
Technically, you would be pre-diabetic from those numbers, especially the fasting one. If you look at the ADA guidelines that's what they say. However, if you are low-carbing, it could cause lower readings than if you were eating high carb. Your doctor could also do a GTT (glucose tolerance test) to see how you handle sugar. My readings are only a little higher than yours right now, and I'm definitely full-blown diabetic.

I'd say you need to do some reading now. Read through this thread, and read Bernstein's and Atkins books on diabetes. Lots of good information that you need to know. Especially do some research on the pills you're on. These days you can't be too careful with those prescription meds--learn all you can about them since it's your body they're affecting.

Hope this makes sense. I'm super tired! Bed time!
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #366
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 301
Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Wwweeelllllll, finally got my numbers back. Last June my A1C was at 6.9 (was not given glucose number) Numbers from August 13 blood work came back with a fasting glucose of 137 and an A1C of 6.7 (lower but not much).

My PCP wants me to see an endo and gave me a name but I wanted to find out if I'm allowed to ask if anyone has been to see her in Houston and what they thought about her. I've scheduled an appt for Oct. 2.

Any input or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.....
__________________
Carrielyn
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #367
Senior LCF Member
 
30something's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Tavares, FL USA
Posts: 538
Gallery: 30something
Stats: 188-150-140 surpassed goal x1 and now 10 lbs over
WOE: Diabetic Meal Plan (4-5 sm balanced low-mod carbs)
Start Date: Restart: September 2005
Linda, I just learned that if your A1C is 5-6, 90% of the numeric value is from post-meal blood glucose......interesting. Researchers also aimed to lower A1C to 5.0 or lower as even 5.6 had a higher correlation with heart attacks. I can't find the reference at my fingertips but it was video conference through Diabetes In Control website. My A1C is 5.9 and it caught my attention b/c my dr is happy but maybe not that informed. Drs. tend not to expect much b/c it is so hard to get this under control and many of their pts don't. My dr says I am her best pt but represent 1% of her diabetic pts, sad to say. I am obsessive about my meal plan and it works, but I would like to get my A1C even lower, next test in Oct. I have checked my 1 and 2 hr post meal blood glucose and it has been avr. 120 so my A1C should be lower.....we'll see!
Exercise also raises my bs then it stabilizes, drives me wild! Dawn Phenomenon also was a plaque but seems to have relaxed a bit.


Denise
30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #368
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jewels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 9,504
Gallery: Jewels
My A1c is 5.8. Are you saying I am still at risk for side effects? I thought everything under 6 was ok.
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #369
Senior LCF Member
 
30something's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Tavares, FL USA
Posts: 538
Gallery: 30something
Stats: 188-150-140 surpassed goal x1 and now 10 lbs over
WOE: Diabetic Meal Plan (4-5 sm balanced low-mod carbs)
Start Date: Restart: September 2005
Jewels I am not an expert but when viewing the latest diabetes research on medscape teleconference it indicated risk at that level: "Improving Glycemic Control: The Need for a Better Approach", James R. Gavin 111, MD, PhD. SMBG and Gycemic Control: Examining the Evidence", Lawrence Blonde, MD, "The Importance of Glycemic Excursions: Focus on Postparandial Hyperglycemia and Macrovascular Complications", John E. Gerich, MD and "Effecitve Implementation of SMBG in Diabetes Management", Jamie A. Davidson, MD. When I watched these videos on Medscape I was surprised and learned enough to take notice. I will be discussing this with my dr in Oct. Denise

Last edited by 30something; 09-02-2007 at 04:35 PM..
30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #370
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jewels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 9,504
Gallery: Jewels
Denise, any info you can post here will be greatly appreciated.

My Dr. says I have hyperglycemia instead of Pre-diabetes. Although I had gotten my fasting bs down under 100. Mainly by watching carbs and especially small meals. I eat 8x a day but not much at one time.
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:15 AM   #371
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cicero Indiana
Posts: 6
Gallery: Judie24
Stats: 279/248/160
WOE: medifast/lean green
Start Date: 9/19/2007
Help!!

Hi, I am really new to this site and these boards. I am full of questions about diabetes and confused. A little information can be a dangerous thing I guess. I was diagnosed with diabetes about 2 years ago. At the time I had a bunch of things change in my life and a lot of diagnoses were made. I had a stroke. It was what they call a mechanical stroke not a medical one. (You can learn about the one I had by doing a Google search under "Beauty Parlor Stoke Syndrome) After running about every test know to the medical profession, they found no medical reason for the stroke, but since it hit me at the beauty parlor they think that was the cause of the stroke. Anyway after recovering from the stroke I had regular appointments with several different specialists and a new primary care doctor. He ran lots of blood tests and diagnosed the diabetes (and some other things) which had not shown up in any of the previous blood tests done by him or the hospital. This was all new to me so the numbers didn't mean anything to me. He said my fasting BS was just over 200, 205 to be exact. He said anything over 200 was diabetic. He put me on metformin, 2-500ml per day. The last blood test he said that my numbers were good. I told him that my finger prick tests were all over the place. And he said that it could be that while the one number looked good that maybe the other was just a little high, and that maybe we should double the metformin to be safe. I have. I seldom have a finger prick reading under 120. After meals as high as 169 and occasionally over 200.

I am search of a new doctor at this time. The one I was going to was a part of a network of doctors all in a three story building. While I only ever saw the one doctor, I just felt that the care was lacking. Any by care I mean the individual, personal care. In two years I think he only actually touched me twice, and that was to take my pulse in my ankles and feet. I kind of felt like a cow in the herd, know what I mean? I would ask questions and never get definative answers to them. I don't know how much of the things I have going on are diabetes related or residuals from the stroke. He never could answer me when I would ask. I would get a "could be" or "maybe" I came to the conclusion that he just plain didn't know.

Anyway I went to this new doctor a couple of weeks ago and left his office even more confused! He seemed like a very nice man, but I can't help but wonder if his advise was medical or personal life style. He is an admitted avid vegetarian. He does not eat any meat or anything made from animals (cheese, eggs, milk etc.) and professes that those foods are responsible for almost all diseases that Americans suffer from: cancer, heart disease, allergies, diabetes, etc. He more or less said that I should increase my carb intake and eat all vegetables. He said if I could not grow it in my yard, I should not eat it. He said no processed grains or foods. I mentioned to him that I loved baked potatoes. He said I should eat as many of them as I wanted that they were really low in calories and wouldn't hurt me as long as I did not put butter/margarine and sour cream on them. I asked him about the carbs in potatoes and he said carbs were not the problem. I said I was told that carbs can turn to sugar and increase BS amounts. He said that was not true. Everything he said was in direct conflict to what the diabetic dietician and the other doctor told me. He said he had the data to prove he was right and all these other doctors were wrong. It cost me $233 to see him for just this first visit. He has scheduled me to stop by the local hospital to have blood drawn but I have not done this yet, I am just so confused by his advice/statements, I just don't know if I want to see him again. HELP!!
Judie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #372
Senior LCF Member
 
dreamerdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: central OH
Posts: 330
Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6-14-03
Hi Judie,


What an amazing ordeal you have been thru! And lived to tell the tale. I am in awe, it is just hard to even imagine.

As for the avid vegetarian doctor, I'd run if I were you. Do all you can to educate your self on how to best deal with the diabetes. It is a complex disease, and it does take a while to get a grasp on it. There is also some conflict in the recommendations that are given. For example the advise of how much to eat (carbs that is) is very high in the info given by the American Diabetes Association. Other experts recommend much lower. I have found that lower (not zero) works better for me. If you don't yet have a meter you need to get one and learn to use it. It will be your guide to what works for your body. There are some good reading recommendations in earlier pages of this thread. Make the library/bookstore your friend.

I am now in the 8th year since my diagnoses, and so far have no known complications. I consider that a victory, for now. I get a dilated eye exam every year to check for retinopathy. I get my A1c checked 3-4 times a year (most recently it was 5.0), also have kidney function tested. I keep my cholesterol numbers low by eating low carb, and I try to stay on top of current info of best treatment.

I think keeping blood sugar at normal levels will help delay or prevent the various horrible complications that diabetes can lead to normally. And I think that the medical profession doesn't think we can make the choices we need to in order to acheive normal sugar levels in the blood.

My grandmother had an amputation and lost her vision. I have known people that had to have dialysis. One of my best friends died of a stroke at age 49 after having poorly controlled diabetes for about 10 years. My last doctor told me that even with good control the complications start manifesting after about 7-10 years. I am hoping to prove her wrong.

I hope you can let your diabetes lead you to becoming healthier and healthier. It can if you follow what is needed for your body.
dreamerdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:41 PM   #373
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Butternut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 7,582
Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Jewels, does the freq. small meals help with weight loss and curb the appetite?
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:48 PM   #374
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jewels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 9,504
Gallery: Jewels
I honestly can't say it does. I count calories to lose weight and eat a lower carb but not Atkins diet. I don't eat sugar or simple sugar but I do eat whole grains.
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:29 AM   #375
Senior LCF Member
 
30something's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Tavares, FL USA
Posts: 538
Gallery: 30something
Stats: 188-150-140 surpassed goal x1 and now 10 lbs over
WOE: Diabetic Meal Plan (4-5 sm balanced low-mod carbs)
Start Date: Restart: September 2005
Butternut, I have been on a 5 small low carb (balanced carb, fat & protein) meal plan x 1 1/2 yrs. I eat every 3-5 hrs. I have lost 54 lbs over the past 2 yrs, avr. 2 lbs/mo. I have been below my goal wt for 6 mos. Eating this plan I do not yo-yo and do not gain wt in fact I do not want to lose more wt and not sure what to do.

My husband is not diabetic and lost 35 lbs in 1 yr eating 5 small balanced meals (follows my meal plan). So it works for us. I do not "cheat" there is enough food variety to keep me satisfied and I can eat anything, its the quantity and amt of carbs that is controlled and balanced with enough protein and fat.

My blood glucose avr. reading is 94, 2 hrs post meal its 120 or below. I take Glucophage (metformin) 500 mg 2 x day. My morning fasting bg sometimes is 100-110 (dawn phenomenon I think), I am going to see if dr will prescribe Metformin ER (extended release) b/c I want lower morning bgs. I am due for my A1C next week, last one was 5.9, first one after dx was 5.4.
Based on my earlier posts on latest research, my goal is to get A1C to 5.0.

This disease is complex, we all have different experiences. I have found that I have to become more expert and sort thru all the various medical opinions and come up with a plan that works for me at this moment in time. Having a chronic illness certainly is a journey!

Denise

With my current stats, my dr. supports whatever I want to do within reason.
30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:40 AM   #376
Major LCF Poster!
 
soon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,358
Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
30 something that is marvelous!! Congrats!! Would you post a sample menu including amounts am not sure what balanced protein & fats are? and am not sure about portion sizes you are using.

thanks!!
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #377
Senior LCF Member
 
30something's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Tavares, FL USA
Posts: 538
Gallery: 30something
Stats: 188-150-140 surpassed goal x1 and now 10 lbs over
WOE: Diabetic Meal Plan (4-5 sm balanced low-mod carbs)
Start Date: Restart: September 2005
Soon,

Each meal avr. the same macronutrients: 9 Fat Gms, 21 Carb Gms and 22 Protein Gms (This is my individualized "formula" from the website based on my wt, ht, activity level). You can go up or down a few carbs/meal its the total per day that count:
I am on vacation so this is from memory:

Per day 1280 calories: 104 carb gms, 110 protein gms, 49 fat gms. Calories do not include alcohol and I drink 1-2 drinks of alcohol/diet soda/day, so with the alcohol around 1400+ calories per day.

Choice of foods your choice, count all fats, carbs, protein, measurement of protein by palm of your hand (3-4 oz), Fats & Carbs off the label or thru ******.com.

Breakfast
egg beaters = 2 - 3 eggs
optional onion/green pepper (frozen pkg)
sausage, bacon or low fat ham
butter
2 slices low carb Natures Own Wheat Bread or Thomas's Lite Engish Muffins (18-24 carbs)

Lunch

Tuna Melt
Tuna/mayo/onion/celery
1 slice swiss or 2% jalepeno cheese
1 slice low carb bread (mentioned above) 10 carbs.
1 slice tomato
no sugar added Breyers Carb Smart choc ice cream bar/stick 3 carbs
30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #378
Senior LCF Member
 
30something's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Tavares, FL USA
Posts: 538
Gallery: 30something
Stats: 188-150-140 surpassed goal x1 and now 10 lbs over
WOE: Diabetic Meal Plan (4-5 sm balanced low-mod carbs)
Start Date: Restart: September 2005
Soon:

3rd meal:
5 crackers-10 carbs.
2-3 oz salmon/2 TBS avocado/touch of salsa
10 grapes or 10 carbs of fruit of your choice or choice of carbs to equal 21 carbs for this meal.

4th meal:
3 oz london broil sliced thin and in small bite size peices in a mexican casserole with cream cheese/peppers/onions add shredded cheese on top micro/stove top or bake
low carb or reg tortilla count carbs (should be about 15-18 carbs)
3 carb Breyers ice cream bar (I am an ice cream addict)
could have wine instead

5th meal:

"Waldorf Salad" from website with my choices of fruits
3 TBS plain non fat yogurt
1 scoop protein powder (I use whey)
Mix above 2 ingredients
drizzle 1 TBS coconut oil (I never count coconut oil)
1/4 sliced banana
1/4 c sliced fresh fruit of choice I use strawberries
1/4 c pineapple tidbits in pineapple juice
1/4 c mandarin orange slices (drained and rinsed)
pinch of walnuts

This is my menu for today.

website I use is IN2 Nutrition Diabetic Plan you can get free analysis for your wt/ht/activity level and then purchase plan for 1 yr, ?? $49 for 1 yr.
It was real helpful when I was first diagnosed b/c of meal plans, recipes, shopping lists etc are all individualized. 2nd yr. I did not renew as I printed all the recipes I liked and make up my own now using ******. Also has fast food menus calculated per your individualized plan.

Denise
30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #379
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 301
Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
I'm definitely having BS issues. I started monitoring on Oct. 2 and I've been everywhere from 61 to 202, mostly staying between 110 and 140 fasting and otherwise.

After reading on this thread that Abbots testers can vary I decided to try it. I have a Freestyle Lite and at 9:00 AM I tested 149 and immediately tested again and it was 162. Now I wonder if any of my readings have been right.

I've got a call in to the doctor's assistant to ask about this 'little' discrepancy.

I've been eating lowcarb averaging between 50 & 100 carbs (doctor said not to do induction) and I'm seeing no difference between weight or readings. This is a brand new ball game for me and it's scary enough without the equipment malfunctioning.
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #380
Are we there yet?
 
Jewelthief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,029
Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Update... 3 months without prescription meds

[COLOR="SlateGray"]Hi, everyone! Been pretty quiet here in recent weeks, hope everyone's doing okay... Check in?

Thursday last week was my first doctor's visit since I was taken off Metformin all together 3 months ago, and I'm pleased to say I did okay on my A1c and cholesterol, etc.

A1c was 4.9 and before I quit the meds, it had been fluctuating between 4.5 and 4.7, and even though I'm happy I was able to more or less maintain less than 5, I feel like I've really struggled to do it. I have mostly continued to eat low carb; I don't do strictly Atkins or anything, just keeping an "eyeball" measure of 25 carbs or so a day. Some days I eat more and splurge on something off-plan, but try to keep that to one day a week or less. Harder to bounce back on my bg levels when I do.

I had found that Netrition was carrying an R-ALA supplement that was easing my bg maintenance in more normal levels but they've since stopped carrying it. There was a different brand but it neither worked as well nor seemed to make me feel as comfortable as the SAN brand had. (I had weird creepy skin crawly sensations when I took it.)

I started poking around in another thread here at LCF and found a group who've been using a combination of CLA and GLA (borage oil) to burn fat, and I thought I might give it a try. I've done well maintaining my weight over the past year, but I'd really like to drop about 10-15 pounds more before I feel like I've reached a goal I am happy with. This combo they've been taking helps some lose pounds and inches but some seem to notice a bigger loss in inches instead...

I don't know yet about more loss, but the CLA seems to be helping me control my bg like the R-ALA supplement did before so I'm going to stick with it a little while and see how it goes.

Anyway.... Hanging in here.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:00 PM   #381
Are we there yet?
 
Jewelthief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,029
Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrielyn View Post
I'm definitely having BS issues. I started monitoring on Oct. 2 and I've been everywhere from 61 to 202, mostly staying between 110 and 140 fasting and otherwise.

After reading on this thread that Abbots testers can vary I decided to try it. I have a Freestyle Lite and at 9:00 AM I tested 149 and immediately tested again and it was 162. Now I wonder if any of my readings have been right.

I've got a call in to the doctor's assistant to ask about this 'little' discrepancy.

I've been eating lowcarb averaging between 50 & 100 carbs (doctor said not to do induction) and I'm seeing no difference between weight or readings. This is a brand new ball game for me and it's scary enough without the equipment malfunctioning.
[COLOR="Purple"]Hi, carrielyn

I haven't ever used any other meters than the ones LifeScan makes, and I find them to be pretty accurate. (Last week I tested within 15 minutes of my doctor's lab testing my sugar, and my reading was 81 while the lab's was 76.)

As for the seemingly huge discrepancy between your two readings though, that's unfortunately pretty common in meters, even the most accurate one. It is very rare to test the same in two sticks even if you use the same finger and test one right after the other. Also factor in that you cannot precisely duplicate one stick for another so you could have different readings for several reasons. It happens to all of us at one time or another.

If you lose confidence in the meter you're now using, you might consider a newer meter and/or a completely different brand. There are several sites online that compare meters to help us choose... If it's been a couple of years or more since you bought one, or if you think yours isn't as accurate as it could/should be, maybe do some research and get yourself a new one.

This is the one I use all the time now. It's small (comes in "fun" colors! ) and it's free to try. OneTouch UltraMini Blood Glucose Meter

Karyn[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:13 AM   #382
Major LCF Poster!
 
Maeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,532
Gallery: Maeve
Stats: 224/219/178
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Ongoing
Confused still...

Good Morning! I was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome on 4/3/07. My last bloodwork showed that since then, my sugar dropped from 108 to 101, and my HDLs are still stuck at 39; total cholesterol is fine. So, lots of improvements there. I am still experimenting with food, trying to figure out how to get that sugar to drop past 101 and get in the norm range. I did it all with diet and exercise. My doc was very pleased. He wanted me to lose weight and actually recommended that I either do Atkins or WW. I ended up doing something inbetween. For the past month to 45 days, I have cut my fruits back to 2 a day and since I am off of a diuretic, I no longer have to eat a freaking banana. I have oatmeal every morning (it definitely pulled my cholesterol down). Some mornings, I have an egg with it, others mornings, a little almond butter on my Ezekiel english muffin half. The rest of the day, I have been having only proteins, fats, and veggies. I have not lost any weight for about a month, but this happens to me sometimes and then, I'll see a 2-3 pound loss (sometimes 4 lbs.)

What I am wondering is, should I go ahead and introduce a grain at lunch and dinner to see if that gets the ball going again? I only use brown rice and Ezekiel bread. And, I do cardio 5X a week and weight lifting 3X a week.

Another dilemma is, I've been using skim milk in my coffee and tea, and I use nonfat yogurt (Stonefield Farms) and sweeten it myself. I bought a little container of organic cream yesterday because I am contemplating using one tbsp. of it a day for the tea/coffee that I drink. I know about the sugar being in the skim milk but so far, I have done very well using the skim. Please don't forget -- I had Metabolic Syndrome, so, I had to help my cholesterol, too (and blood pressure, in addition to pre-diabetes).

It's all very confusing...at least I'm healthier than I was.

Thanks for listening, and anyone who wants to jump in here to help, I would really appreciate it.
Maeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #383
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 301
Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelthief View Post
[COLOR="Purple"]Hi, carrielyn

I haven't ever used any other meters than the ones LifeScan makes, and I find them to be pretty accurate. (Last week I tested within 15 minutes of my doctor's lab testing my sugar, and my reading was 81 while the lab's was 76.)

As for the seemingly huge discrepancy between your two readings though, that's unfortunately pretty common in meters, even the most accurate one. It is very rare to test the same in two sticks even if you use the same finger and test one right after the other. Also factor in that you cannot precisely duplicate one stick for another so you could have different readings for several reasons. It happens to all of us at one time or another.

If you lose confidence in the meter you're now using, you might consider a newer meter and/or a completely different brand. There are several sites online that compare meters to help us choose... If it's been a couple of years or more since you bought one, or if you think yours isn't as accurate as it could/should be, maybe do some research and get yourself a new one.

This is the one I use all the time now. It's small (comes in "fun" colors! ) and it's free to try. OneTouch UltraMini Blood Glucose Meter

Karyn[/COLOR]
Karyn,
I phoned my doctor and she told me about the same thing you did. So I'm not going to worry overmuch about the equipment just the numbers..
thanks,
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #384
Notorious Veteran who doesn't know when to stop!
 
Stormyskies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where I wish I could see my reflection in the snow covered hills...
Posts: 27,473
Gallery: Stormyskies
Stats: Too embarrassed to tell ya!
WOE: Mostly Atkins, but not as strick as I should be!!!
Start Date: Over and over and over and over...
Hi, it's been a while since I've been in here. I had a question that I'm not even sure anyone can answer, but I thought it was worth a try. I've been struggling to keep my blood sugars down. Partly it's my own fault because I just can't leave potatoes alone! I do try to sub cauliflower whenever I can, but sometimes I just wanted a nice baked potato or fried potatoes. Over the summer, I was doing very well, but my diet was so restrictive for me that I couldn't stay on it.

So anyway, my blood sugars were running about 160...lower in the morning, usually, but never below 135. The Dr. put me on Byetta...a route I did not want to go down but she promised it wouldn't hurt, which it doesn't. I started taking it last Monday and ever since then, my blood sugars have been higher than ever! I'm testing at 185 at night and my blood sugars were not that high before. The last blood test showed my A1c had come down from 7.9 to 6.4, so I'm on the right path, but this stuff is not doing its job. I had one good reading, which was 109, and then later on that night, it was 178. I don't get it. What could be causing it to raise my blood sugars? Has everyone ever heard of such a thing? Thanks!
Stormyskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #385
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 301
Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelthief View Post
[COLOR="SlateGray"]
I had found that Netrition was carrying an R-ALA supplement that was easing my bg maintenance in more normal levels but they've since stopped carrying it. There was a different brand but it neither worked as well nor seemed to make me feel as comfortable as the SAN brand had. (I had weird creepy skin crawly sensations when I took it.)

Anyway.... Hanging in here.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Karyn,
Is this the product you were talking about? It doesn't appear that it linked but you can copy and paste the link if it is what you were looking.

SAN NA-R-ALA
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #386
Are we there yet?
 
Jewelthief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,029
Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrielyn View Post
Karyn,
Is this the product you were talking about? It doesn't appear that it linked but you can copy and paste the link if it is what you were looking.

SAN NA-R-ALA
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Hmm, it looks like they may have changed the ingredients and repackaged it somewhat... It's got some sort of a sodium additive which the other supplement didn't include, and it appears this was added to stabilize it. Great find, thank you!

It also looks like the price is the same but the quantity is half what it was, which means I may still be out of luck. Think I'll do some research about this "new" product and see what I can find out about it. It really helped me in the form I was previously using, and I've seen my BG rise almost 20 pts. at fasting since discontinuing it.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #387
Are we there yet?
 
Jewelthief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,029
Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyskies View Post
Hi, it's been a while since I've been in here. I had a question that I'm not even sure anyone can answer, but I thought it was worth a try. I've been struggling to keep my blood sugars down. Partly it's my own fault because I just can't leave potatoes alone! I do try to sub cauliflower whenever I can, but sometimes I just wanted a nice baked potato or fried potatoes. Over the summer, I was doing very well, but my diet was so restrictive for me that I couldn't stay on it.

So anyway, my blood sugars were running about 160...lower in the morning, usually, but never below 135. The Dr. put me on Byetta...a route I did not want to go down but she promised it wouldn't hurt, which it doesn't. I started taking it last Monday and ever since then, my blood sugars have been higher than ever! I'm testing at 185 at night and my blood sugars were not that high before. The last blood test showed my A1c had come down from 7.9 to 6.4, so I'm on the right path, but this stuff is not doing its job. I had one good reading, which was 109, and then later on that night, it was 178. I don't get it. What could be causing it to raise my blood sugars? Has everyone ever heard of such a thing? Thanks!
[COLOR="Purple"]Hi, Stormy

No answers, per se, but a couple of questions and suggestions... I've never used Byetta so I'm not at all sure what about it could be raising your BG.

First of all, we have to make choices about the foods we eat when we know they aren't good for us, and choice is really key because it means we make the decision to tempt fate (and rising BG) to take a small pleasure for a short time. Having the occasional potato or fries means higher BG in the short term--have it BUT, have a smaller portion, have it with a healthy serving of fat & protein, and be ready to see your tests run higher because of it.

I may be preaching to the choir, and I'm not saying a thing to you that I haven't said to my own self , but all of us on this thread struggle daily with these decisions. My WHOLE way of life pre-diabetes diagnosis was starchy foods (staples: peas, beans, corn, potatoes, rice, breads), all of which I miss a lot, but even though I don't deprive myself, I eat them either sparingly or not at all anymore. If I eat a baked potato I know my body's gonna "pay" for it for a couple of days or more until I get it through my system.

So you have to decide if you're willing to pay the piper.

That being said, have you spoken to your doctor (or even considered asking for a second opinion) about the Byetta seeming to be ill-suited to you? I've read a lot of posts from people using it, and it doesn't sit well with everyone for lots of reasons... Could be, you fall under similar circumstances.

Really examine what you're eating and how often you're eating it. If your foods are high in carbs/starches, even something as strong and successful for some might not work well in this case. When I have myself a nice piece of birthday cake, I hope for the best but don't expect, that anything I'm taking to assist my body's ability to process those carbs to work.

Please don't feel jumped on, I'm talking to myself today too!

Just trying to say look at the big picture: what you're eating, how often/how much your eating, and whether going off this Byetta might be a better option for you--or whether it's not able to help you because it's fighting an uphill battle.

Now, I'm off to follow some of my own advice!

Karyn

P.S. I love that duck! Makes me smile every time I see one of your posts! [/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #388
Notorious Veteran who doesn't know when to stop!
 
Stormyskies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where I wish I could see my reflection in the snow covered hills...
Posts: 27,473
Gallery: Stormyskies
Stats: Too embarrassed to tell ya!
WOE: Mostly Atkins, but not as strick as I should be!!!
Start Date: Over and over and over and over...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelthief View Post
[COLOR="Purple"]Hi, Stormy

No answers, per se, but a couple of questions and suggestions... I've never used Byetta so I'm not at all sure what about it could be raising your BG.

First of all, we have to make choices about the foods we eat when we know they aren't good for us, and choice is really key because it means we make the decision to tempt fate (and rising BG) to take a small pleasure for a short time. Having the occasional potato or fries means higher BG in the short term--have it BUT, have a smaller portion, have it with a healthy serving of fat & protein, and be ready to see your tests run higher because of it.

I may be preaching to the choir, and I'm not saying a thing to you that I haven't said to my own self , but all of us on this thread struggle daily with these decisions. My WHOLE way of life pre-diabetes diagnosis was starchy foods (staples: peas, beans, corn, potatoes, rice, breads), all of which I miss a lot, but even though I don't deprive myself, I eat them either sparingly or not at all anymore. If I eat a baked potato I know my body's gonna "pay" for it for a couple of days or more until I get it through my system.

So you have to decide if you're willing to pay the piper.

That being said, have you spoken to your doctor (or even considered asking for a second opinion) about the Byetta seeming to be ill-suited to you? I've read a lot of posts from people using it, and it doesn't sit well with everyone for lots of reasons... Could be, you fall under similar circumstances.

Really examine what you're eating and how often you're eating it. If your foods are high in carbs/starches, even something as strong and successful for some might not work well in this case. When I have myself a nice piece of birthday cake, I hope for the best but don't expect, that anything I'm taking to assist my body's ability to process those carbs to work.

Please don't feel jumped on, I'm talking to myself today too!

Just trying to say look at the big picture: what you're eating, how often/how much your eating, and whether going off this Byetta might be a better option for you--or whether it's not able to help you because it's fighting an uphill battle.

Now, I'm off to follow some of my own advice!

Karyn

P.S. I love that duck! Makes me smile every time I see one of your posts! [/COLOR]
Thanks for your thoughtful post, Karyn. You're right, I do need to get more serious about my eating. I'm an emotional eater and when things are going hard in my life, food is my comfort. Things have been stressful for me for a the last few months and I'm having to deal with some unpleasant things and food is always there, ready to lend a comforting hand. And yet, even though I may gain temporary comfort, in the long run, I'm stressing out all the more because I don't like what it's doing to my BS.

I know what I need to do, but I'm finding it so hard to keep myself on a sensible plan because I live with my mom and dad and they are high starch eaters. My dad brings home donuts at least once a month. And I have no willpower! I did really well over the summer when I was exercising and staying on plan. Once summer was over, however, everything just fell apart. I have an exercise bike I've been procrastinating about now for 2 months and I need to pull it out, dust it off and get serious. Your post has given me some encouragement, which I sorely needed. It's hard trying to do this on my own. Thanks for the soft kick in the bum. I really needed it.

P.S. The duck belongs to my daughter. His name is Shammy and he makes one tough cowboy.
Stormyskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #389
Are we there yet?
 
Jewelthief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,029
Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyskies View Post
Thanks for your thoughtful post, Karyn. You're right, I do need to get more serious about my eating. I'm an emotional eater and when things are going hard in my life, food is my comfort. Things have been stressful for me for a the last few months and I'm having to deal with some unpleasant things and food is always there, ready to lend a comforting hand. And yet, even though I may gain temporary comfort, in the long run, I'm stressing out all the more because I don't like what it's doing to my BS.
Tell me about it... I don't know if I'm stress eating, emotion eating or what my problem is, but lately I feel like my appetite is so out of control. And it's frustrating! Isn't it ironic that food can be such a comfort and yet such a ... I don't know! Some days it's just pure evil!!

Quote:
I know what I need to do, but I'm finding it so hard to keep myself on a sensible plan because I live with my mom and dad and they are high starch eaters. My dad brings home donuts at least once a month. And I have no willpower! I did really well over the summer when I was exercising and staying on plan. Once summer was over, however, everything just fell apart. I have an exercise bike I've been procrastinating about now for 2 months and I need to pull it out, dust it off and get serious. Your post has given me some encouragement, which I sorely needed. It's hard trying to do this on my own. Thanks for the soft kick in the bum. I really needed it.
Donuts?

Okay then you owe ME a kick! I ate a LC brownie today, LC pasta, another LC brownie and then topped it all off with peanut butter and crackers--not LC at all.

Just a hard week, and you know, some are tougher than others... We just have to hitch up our britches and get right back on that wagon. Join me? Think I'll start fresh again tomorrow and see if I can get off of this roller coaster ride. I don't have an exercise bike anywhere, but I know I can do this... I've just let it get the better of me--for now.

Tamarra is anutha day.

Quote:
P.S. The duck belongs to my daughter. His name is Shammy and he makes one tough cowboy.
I love it, he makes me laugh right out loud!

Stay in touch.

Karyn
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:39 PM   #390
Notorious Veteran who doesn't know when to stop!
 
Stormyskies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where I wish I could see my reflection in the snow covered hills...
Posts: 27,473
Gallery: Stormyskies
Stats: Too embarrassed to tell ya!
WOE: Mostly Atkins, but not as strick as I should be!!!
Start Date: Over and over and over and over...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelthief View Post
Tell me about it... I don't know if I'm stress eating, emotion eating or what my problem is, but lately I feel like my appetite is so out of control. And it's frustrating! Isn't it ironic that food can be such a comfort and yet such a ... I don't know! Some days it's just pure evil!!



Donuts?

Okay then you owe ME a kick! I ate a LC brownie today, LC pasta, another LC brownie and then topped it all off with peanut butter and crackers--not LC at all.

Just a hard week, and you know, some are tougher than others... We just have to hitch up our britches and get right back on that wagon. Join me? Think I'll start fresh again tomorrow and see if I can get off of this roller coaster ride. I don't have an exercise bike anywhere, but I know I can do this... I've just let it get the better of me--for now.

Tamarra is anutha day.



I love it, he makes me laugh right out loud!

Stay in touch.

Karyn
Karyn, I totally agree with you...food can be so evil! When I went to the drug store this evening to pick up my asthma meds, I couldn't resist buying some sugar free truffles and almond & caramel candy. I ate 3 pieces and savored every bite!

I'll make a deal with you...I'll start tomorrow morning off on the right foot with you. It's going to be a busy morning, but I have to somehow fit in breakfast before I leave the house, otherwise, I won't have a chance to eat again until after 12 o'clock. I have to take my daughter to school at 8:30, and then I go right to my Bible study, and that doesn't get over with until 11:30. Tomorrow we're having fellowship afterwards, so I'll pick up a salad for my lunch. I'm so mad at myself because I lost 30 lbs over the summer and then put almost 10 of it back on. I seem to always stall out at 30 lbs. I don't know why I can't lose past 30, but I really need to. I think I chicken out or something. I don't know what my problem is.

It's nice to know we're not alone with our food struggles. I had no trouble quitting smoking years ago, but I am so envious of people who have it together where food is concerned. That is one area I just can't get a grip on and it's so maddening! I've struggled my whole life with weight and sometimes I just get so tired of having the same old struggle. Oh well, everybody has something they have to contend with, whether it be alcohol, drugs or whatever. Mine happens to be food. Pretty hard, though, when you need food to survive and must eat everyday.

Good luck tomorrow on a new start! We can do this.
Stormyskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.