Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #331
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Hey stormy. A normal A1C is under 5.0 (about 85-100 average blood sugar). A 7.9 is fairly high--too high for good health. I agree with Dr. Bernstein that diabetics should aim for totally normal blood sugars, since over time even slightly elevated blood sugars can cause problems in the body. High blood sugars make your blood sticky (causing poor circulation and glycolization of proteins--hardening your tissues), and it also overworks your pancreas, which is always trying to get you to around 85.

I highly recommend Dr. Bernstein's book as well as the Atkins Diabetes Revolution. Have you read through this thread yet? It has some really good info from many different people.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #332
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyskies View Post
Ok, I have another question. The Dr. told me my AC1 test was 7.9. I'm not really sure what a good range is on that. What do they consider a good AC1 reading? Thanks again!
[COLOR="Teal"]Hi, Stormy (love that duck picture! )

My doctor diagnosed me solely (which I know, isn't recommended, but she was right) on my A1c of 7.8 two years ago and immediately put me on Metformin 2x a day.

I started low carbing a few months into my diagnosis when I began testing 4x a day and finding that my low fat/low cal nutritionist's 'diet' was having me averaging in the 160s.

I started to see my BS levels drop within a few days and in the last 18 months have been showing about 4.5 on my A1c, which she does every 3-4 months on me.

The way I eat is aimed at keeping me in a 'normal' range of averaging about 85 on a daily basis but I haven't quite reached that goal yet. I normally average around 95ish by my record-keeping, but my doc's A1c tests seem to indicate I may be averaging better than I think.

If you Google an "A1c conversion chart," you'll get several results where charts have been made to demonstrate what BS reading corresponds with what A1c reading.

Anyway, I am see my best results on 20 net carbs a day or less, but I seem to fall within okay parameters if I eat up to 30 net... And I have seen other diabetics post that they eat 30 a day or higher, but not me! After the 30 net mark, I begin seeing higher numbers and have to dial it back down again. No sense playing with fire.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #333
Notorious Veteran who doesn't know when to stop!

Location: Where I wish I could see my reflection in the snow covered hills...
Gallery: Stormyskies
Stats: Too embarrassed to tell ya!
WOE: Mostly Atkins, but not as strick as I should be!!!
Start Date: Over and over and over and over...
Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it. I'm still stumbling around trying to figure things out.

I am curious, though, about keeping blood sugars so low. I thought anything under 120 was considered good. Is that still too high? I know that a normal range should be in the 90's, but I was under the impression from the Dr. that anything under 120 was good. I'm sure once I go to the diabetic classes, these questions will be answered, but right now I'm really trying to figure out what range I should be in.

I did really well yesterday with my eating plan and one test 120 and another test, that I took 2 hours after dinner, was 148. I read that for a normal person without diabetes, a test of 140 was normal. I thought I wasn't too far off and I was happy about that. When I woke up this morning, it was at 160. So I'm wondering...is my body still just trying to get rid of the excess sugar it has stored up or is the 160 fasting reading a really bad sign? I've been on my eating plan since Tuesday, so I'm thinking I'm probably just still adjusting.

Anyway, thanks for all the help you all have given me. I can't tell you how much this is helping me. And I'm almost done reading this whole thread. I have a few more pages to go. Lots of good stuff on here.

Last edited by Stormyskies; 06-29-2007 at 03:55 PM..
Stormyskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #334
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6-14-03
I do think you are still "adjusting" to the new eating plan. I expect your levels will continue to go downward.

The higher number in the morning could be a "dawn phenomena" thing, which is discussed many pages back in this thread, or easily searchable online. I would not be too worried about it if your other numbers are moving down. You can look at ways to address that later if need be.

It is hard getting a handle on it all, sometimes it seems frustrating and overwhelming, and different sources will give you conflicting advice. Take what works for you, and you will find your own way. It is more of a path than a destination. You are getting there!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:23 PM   #335

Thanks dreamerdee. I've had kind of a hard day today...just wanting to go back to my old way of eating. I battled the urge all day long, but managed to stick to it. I kind of blew it last night when I ate sugar free pound cake with strawberries and a little whipped cream. When I tested later, my bs was 182. I almost fipped out! That was the highest I'd seen. And I think it was the pound cake. I wasn't thinking because even though it was sugar free, it was still made with flour! Won't do that again!

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #336
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Allison.g
Stats: Starting 154/ Goal 126
WOE: watching the carbs
Start Date: July 2007
Hi my Im Allison, diabetic for just over a year now. At my last review I was told to reduce my A1c (7.4) or it would be meds at the next appointment.

Iv struggled with diets and sugar control but after reading up more on diabetes come to realise its more to do with carbs. So Iv switched to a low carb diet. No particular 1 just watching what/how many carbs I eat and testing. Iv downloaded some info from the internet and borrowed a book from library.

Iv only been doing it 4 days but Iv already noticed an improvement in my blood sugars and energy levels. Also seeing the difference on my stomach

I'll accept any help/advice you can give as Im still learning and confused

How many carbs should I be eating a day to lose weight and keep sugars under control?

Cant wait to get to know you all.

Oh yeah I quit smoking One month, two weeks, two days, 11 hours, 44 minutes and 17 seconds ago. Life saved: 4 days, 22 hours, 40 minutes.
Allison.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #337
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Alison, everybody must be on vacation or something. Sorry you were left hanging here without a response.

Congrats on quitting smoking and starting on your low-carb journey. It might be worth the time to read through this thread in addition to getting the books that are mentioned here (Atkins, Bernstein, Bowden, etc.).

How many carbs you would need to keep blood sugars under control can only be determined by experimentation and monitoring on your part. As mentioned in this thread several times, there can also be types of food such as soy, tomatoes, onions, or other things that make blood sugars go up with only a few grams of carbs. You'll just have to suss that out over time with your BS monitor. Do get one if you don't have one. That's very important.

Good luck and I hope you'll post your progress too. I'll try to keep an eye out for ya.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #338
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bethstarr
Stats: 235/215/175
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic
Start Date: June 11, 2007
Hi Guys I have a quick question to ask. I have been having S.F Jello with S.F. Coolwhip. The sf coolwhip has 3 carbs. My sugars kept raising higher tha they should for being SF, than someone mentioned there is hidden sugar in the box of jello and to switch to s.f. jello premade so i made the switch and have noticed a difference but my sugar still raises a tiny bit after eating it. How come??? My other question is Sometimes i skep a meal because of the hours i work and yet my sugar is still somewhat high after not eating? Another mystery to me. If anyone is able to answer these questions I greatly appreciate it. Thx

Love me for me and not for who you want me to be.
bethstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethstarr View Post
Hi Guys I have a quick question to ask. I have been having S.F Jello with S.F. Coolwhip. The sf coolwhip has 3 carbs. My sugars kept raising higher tha they should for being SF, than someone mentioned there is hidden sugar in the box of jello and to switch to s.f. jello premade so i made the switch and have noticed a difference but my sugar still raises a tiny bit after eating it. How come??? My other question is Sometimes i skep a meal because of the hours i work and yet my sugar is still somewhat high after not eating? Another mystery to me. If anyone is able to answer these questions I greatly appreciate it. Thx
Hi Beth. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than myself will be along to better answer your questions, but I may have a good guess as to why your numbers are up after skipping a meal. The way I was told it, if you skip a meal and go too long without food, you body becomes deprived of energy and then your liver begins kicking out glucose to feed your hungry brain. That might be what's going on here. I am having trouble getting a low fasting number and I think it's because I go too long at night without food and by morning, my liver is working over time, pumping out the glucose. I'm going to try eating some cheese tonight before bed and see if my numbers are lower in the morning. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #340
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Beth. I think Stormy is right.

About the jello with coolwhip, well both are just a bunch of chemicals, which I think can mess with your system and somehow cause high blood sugar. It's just something I have noticed. Still, I'm betting that the cool whip is the worst of the two. It's super easy to make real whipped cream with splenda. Try that and see if there is a difference. It should be more satisfying too.

Also, I get about 4-5 points rise for each gram of carbs I eat, so even 3 carbs can put me up 15 points.

I finally tried some of the Walden Farms 0 carb products and found them to be surprisingly good. I really liked the barbecue sauce and the pancake syrup. The salad dressing would be good mixed half and half with other dressing of the same type. An SF chocolate bar dipped in the marshmallow cream was pretty good too. I think these products will really help me stay on track.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #341
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Melodye
Stats: 209/199/160
WOE: WW
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Can I join this group?

Hello Ladies, I have been a Type 2 diabetic since 1993. At first, I was able to control it with diet and oral medication but after the birth of my 2 daughters , the last one born in 2000, I have been insulin dependant. I take 3 different types of insulin. Tomorrow, I start seeing an endocronolgist. My Hemoglobin A1C was 8.4. yucko . So anyways, I gotta do better than this. My PCP thinks they may try to switch me over to Byetta to help control blood sugars and weight. Anyone on this or had good or bad results with this?
BTW, I am a 37 year old mother to 2 daughters ages 7 and almost 10. I would love to come here and get support for my diabetes. It would be nice to talk to others who know what it is like to live with this condition.

"You can achieve it, if you just believe it"
Melodye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:38 AM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Melodye. I have to run now, and don't have any experience with meds, but just wanted to welcome you. Hopefully others are still monitoring this thread. It's a little catch as catch can!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #343
Senior LCF Member

Hi Melodye and welcome. Sometimes there is a lot of posting here, and sometimes it slows way up. I usually read it every few days, but don't post all the time.

I noticed that you restarted Atkins just a few weeks ago and have lost very well so far. Let us know how is that going for you?

I have been diabetic about 7 years now and so far have not had to go on insulin. I know I am very insulin resistant tho. I have found that Atkins does my blood sugar levels a world of good. I hope you are finding that true for you too.

Trying to manage blood sugar levels with Atkins and needing insulin seems like it could be quite challenging. Are you on a sliding scale plan. Seems like that might make it a bit easier.

Seeing the endocrinologist also sounds like a good thing to explore. If they can get you switched to just oral meds and byetta that could be a very good thing. I tried the byetta for a while but kept going too low and then needing to eat things with more carbs to raise it back to normal. It kind of swirled out of control for me, and I also had a lot of probs with the nausea, even on the lower dose of the byetta. I went back to plain old atkins, focusing on whole foods, mostly meats and veggies. It is great for keeping the diabetes under control, and I have lost some of the regain I had while trying to find a balance on the byetta.

I was a member of an email group for the byetta, it was a yahoo group related to byetta and weight loss. If you go on byetta that might be a great place for more good info.

Hope to see you posting your progress soon.

Last edited by dreamerdee; 07-19-2007 at 10:51 AM..
dreamerdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #344
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abbott
Start Date: April 2000
Melodye, welcome. I have no experience with taking insulin so am unable to give you any comments on that. Do you have Dr. Bernstein's Book? I really have found that that book very helpful in understanding the different issues going on. There is also a lot of good information on this thread as you read back through it.

My experience has been that keeping carbs low and consistant throughout the day is the fundamental rule. From there you have to learn your own body in terms of how it responds to different foods and what kind and amount of non medications and medications are needed to keep the blood sugar under 100 and hopefully around 80-85 for fasting and prior to meals.

As you know fine tuning this whole process to reach our goal is not easy. Good luck and keep sharing your information as it helps all of us!
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #345
Major LCF Poster!

Hello all, thanks for your response!!! I did Atkins 3 years ago and lost 85 pounds in 4 months but then returned to my bad old ways and gained it back plus more. At that time , I have to say my blood sugars were doing much better and my insulin doses were much less. I know that I have got to make low carbing a way of life and not just a temporary fix. Look forward to getting to know you all.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #346
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/195/145
WOE: JUDDD/(combined with WW-type foods)
Start Date: Highest wt: 246/ Start JUDDD 8/18/2014 @ 209.8
Medodye: WELCOME

Hi Everyone! Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I have been reading posts each day, and keeping up with everyone's progress. I didn't have much to write, as I am trying to figure out this whole diabetes thing. Well, I have a question for anyone out there that may know. My doctor's appointment is tomorrow, but I was anxious to find out some of my blood work results, so I just called the office to get some numbers over the phone (for both my thyroid and my diabetes).

As for my diabetes, the nurse told me that my HbA1C came back at 5.6. I thought I read somewhere that it should be below 5.0?!?!? Is that right? Or is 5.6 considered normal? The nurse told me she thought it was okay at that range. I'm just a little confused. I was also surprised..........because when I check my blood sugars (every morning, before dinner, 2 hrs. after dinner), I am usually around 85-99 mornings, 89-94 before dinner, and around 99-115 2 hrs. after dinner. Yet my A1C being at 5.6 means my average bs = 122! That seemed kind of high. The highest blood sugar reading I ever took so far(and that was only once) was 133! Could it be that my bs spikes real high right after eating? Does anyone know what the high limit is supposed to be right after eating?

Sorry for all the questions, but my head is spinning with confusion right now. Should I be concerned with a 5.6 HbA1C reading?

1998 - 246 lbs.-Highest weight Pre-Atkins. Lost 70 lbs on Atkins, and kept it off for years. Then gained some back (225) when I stopped doing low-carb. Did WW (225 - 209.8)/Started JUDDD 8/18/14 @ 209.8 lbs!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #347
Senior LCF Member

Hi Melodye, I just started on Byetta about 5 weeks ago. I am in love with it. My sugars still arn't the greatest but i have gone from high 200's and low 300 to high Hundreds. It does cause some nausea but i find if i have a couple of bites of food It doesn't last long. It has also helped to surpress my appetite as well. It has been a lifesaver for me. I hope you do well if you have to go on it. Good Luck
Old 07-19-2007, 10:20 PM   #348
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Linda,
Remember that an A1c measures glycolization of proteins, and it really is not some magic window into what your blood sugars have been. It's actually more important than the blood sugar numbers, because it measures damage to your tissues. 5.6 is considered good in maintstream medicine. It is only Dr. Bernstein and some of his colleagues who think that you should be absolutely normal, which is less than 5. I think he's a 4.3 or something like that.

Sooo... probably just keep on with what you are doing, but maybe tweak a little to cautiously bring BS down even more (but not below 80, of course). See if you can drop that A1c a little lower next time. And do reread Bernstein where he talks about A1C's. It may also be on his web site.

The other thing is to take supplements that limit tissue damage. Mostly those would be in the strong antioxidant category: Emergen-C lite, goji and acai berries, alpha lipoic acid (I take 1200 mg a day), and krill oil are my faves. Any supplement catalog will walk you through the antioxidants out there. Some are stronger than others, though, so try to get the most bang for your buck.

And don't forget lots of water, fresh air, and exercise too!

Hope that helps.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:45 PM   #349
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you all for making me feel so welcome.I went to my appointment yesterday with the endo. He is gonna start me on Byetta in a few weeks or so, but first he wants to decrease my insulin needs. He also put me on Glipizide and Metformin . Let's hope I start seeing improvements in my blood sugars. I would love to have a HA1C of 5.6, mine was 8.4. Well, check back in later.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #350
Major LCF Poster!

Melodye, just be careful that you don't drop too low with all of those meds plus low-carb. Doctors tend to underrate the effects of low-carbing.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #351
Bug
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bug
Hey everyone! I've been a diabetic for a little over 2 years now. My last A1C was 7.8 back in early March. Shortly after that, my endocrinologist put me on 2000 mg of metformin with 5 mcg of Byetta. Had my new bloodwork done 07/13/2007 and my A1C dropped down to 6.4! AND, I've also lost 16 pounds.

Finally I found a combination that works and I feel GREAT!
Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #352
Senior LCF Member

Glad things are going in such a positive direction for you bug!
dreamerdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #353
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome Bug! It's always nice to see some doctors condoning low carb.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:46 AM   #354
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/195/145
WOE: JUDDD/(combined with WW-type foods)
Start Date: Highest wt: 246/ Start JUDDD 8/18/2014 @ 209.8
Mermaid: Thank you so much for responding.

I had my doctor's appt. on Friday, and everything went good. You were right, Mermaid; the doctor told me that my diabetes seems to be under control with the strict low-carb diet I have been doing, and the intense exercise. I have been struggling for two years now to get my thyroid back to a somewhat normal level, and it's almost there. That's what caused my extreme weight gain, and my blood sugars to go up so drastically. She did increase my thyroid medication just slightly to try and get it back into range, so hopefully the weight will start to come off more quickly. I have been working out 6 days a week, (I am basically in the most advanced stage of Turbo Jam, increased weights during weight training, and doing cardio with weighted gloves, etc....), and have been hitting it hard each time I work out. I've lost 30 pounds so far , and hope that with the help of the proper meds, I will lose allot more in the near future. The doc said, the more weight I lose, the better my bs readings should be. So, let's hope......

Bug: Congratulations on finding a combination that works for you. Great job! Let's hope we can both continue to lose those unwanted pounds.

Melodye: Good luck with the medicine; I hope that brings you success in controlling your bs. My doctor was going to put me on Metformin if I couldn't get mine under control, but my HbA1C was okay at this time, so for now, I will just continue low-carbing and exercising like crazy to try and keep it there. I've heard some good things about the diabetes meds that are out there; I hope you do well with it.

Everyone: This is such a great site; thank you to everyone for all the support that is offered here. It has really helped me so far in understanding this whole diabetes thing.

yone:
Linda1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #355
Major LCF Poster!

Great job Linda!!! Cruisin' toward onderland and lower blood sugars. Here's to life!!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #356
Are we there yet?

Doing it without meds, but...

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Hi, everyone, seems we've run aground again in this folder... How y'all been doing?

A couple days shy of a month ago my doctor took me off my Metformin after another "normal" reading on my A1c test (several in a row). I was tentatively excited but I'd asked to try it without meds a year ago and failed because I didn't stay true to eating low carb. My numbers went up and up. I was experimenting with ice cream, breads... not good.

I am doing well, only about 4-5 pts. off where I was averaging before quitting the Met, but I am finding NO leeway at all now. If I try & run beyond 30 carbs net a day I will see it on my meter within 12 hours time.

One thing I had begun doing just prior to being taken off Met was to invest in R-ALA from Netrition, where it was the least expensive cost I could find in a web comparison. I take it twice a day with meals, and it had begun putting my morning tests at below 80 some days when I'd eaten very low carb, like 20 net or less.

I believe the R-ALA is what is keeping my sugar under control without my prescription meds or else I might be seeing my readings higher even watching what I eat. Although it does little or nothing if I choose to eat breads, sweets or starches (even in a 1-2 small bites to taste once a week). While I doubt "tastes" will negatively affect my A1c when I get tested again in October, I don't bounce back from a stray few bites like I did when I had the Metformin in my system.

Are you still with me?

Because I'd love your input, keep reading...

I seem to be maintaining my weight loss when I am not as near to goal as I'd like to be. Once I'd set my goal at 125 but I've since decided I'll be content at say, 135. It seems a reasonable goal to achieve, however, I have weighed within a 1/2 pound of 148 for the last 3-4 months.

So I am hanging in when what I want to do is LOSE.

If the average carbs I'm eating in a week is 20-25 net and my calories are around 1200 to 1600, do you have a suggestion or two as to what I might do to jump-start myself again?

Would you try something radical like *******, or would you ramp up the fat/calories while still keeping carbs low?

I would appreciate the input. I've done very well doing kind of a meandering version of Atkins, never going strictly by the book so should I start from square one, or at least would you tell me what's working for you?

Thanks,
Karyn [/COLOR]
Old 08-11-2007, 11:14 PM   #357
Major LCF Poster!

Hi,
I can't really say what you should do, but ******* really worked well for me for quick weight loss, lowering blood sugars (to almost normal), and re-setting my hunger meter. It also helped me learn portion control. However, I never stayed on it long, like only a few days or a week at a time, then back to Atkins. Now I'm also adding in free meals and after doing it twice I think it really readjusted my hormones and has allowed me to lose a little more weight. If you look under the ******* section, there are all sorts of new threads talking about cycling or tweaking ******* to keep it healthy. It's an awesome tool as long as you keep calories above 1,000 (only my opinion here) and take breaks to let your metabolism re-set.

Have you tried coconut oil? Willard Water? Those two things I believe are helping me greatly right now. Glad you'e taking the ALA. That's awesome stuff. Have you had your hormones tested? I also use natural progesterone cream due to estrogen dominance, and balancing those hormones is critical when they're out of wack.

That's just my input, for stuff to think about. Good luck to ya!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:41 AM   #358
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Hi,
I can't really say what you should do, but ******* really worked well for me for quick weight loss, lowering blood sugars (to almost normal), and re-setting my hunger meter. It also helped me learn portion control. However, I never stayed on it long, like only a few days or a week at a time, then back to Atkins. Now I'm also adding in free meals and after doing it twice I think it really readjusted my hormones and has allowed me to lose a little more weight. If you look under the ******* section, there are all sorts of new threads talking about cycling or tweaking ******* to keep it healthy. It's an awesome tool as long as you keep calories above 1,000 (only my opinion here) and take breaks to let your metabolism re-set.

Have you tried coconut oil? Willard Water? Those two things I believe are helping me greatly right now. Glad you'e taking the ALA. That's awesome stuff. Have you had your hormones tested? I also use natural progesterone cream due to estrogen dominance, and balancing those hormones is critical when they're out of wack.

That's just my input, for stuff to think about. Good luck to ya!
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Hmmm, have read about the coconut oil, never heard of Willard Water, and I think I remember you mentioning the progesterone cream but don't recall what I read about... So I'll check them out and see what's what.

I am positive the R-ALA is making a good impact on my BS levels so I'm going to continue with it. Will peek into the ******* folder too... I believe it might be very restrictive to follow for long, but I'm literally looking for a jump-start, and that might work. Maybe an X days on/X days off plan would have a positive impact on me.

To my knowledge no one's suggested having any tests run that target my hormones, although I'm not in menopause--or even peri-menopause--yet, I don't think. I'll be 45 my next birthday though so I know it's around the corner and have experienced PMS-like symptoms for the last couple of years that I'd really not suffered before.

My diabetes seems to be being managed well, and I am starting to add light exercise 2x a week (aquatics, I am physically disabled so structured exercise isn't viable for me with my limitations) to see if that helps. I know these aquatics are so light it can't hurt me, just hoping it'll be beneficial all the way around. Any movement that's not detrimental has to be some help...

Thanks for your suggestions! We never stop learning, do we?

Karyn[/COLOR]

Last edited by Jewelthief; 08-12-2007 at 01:44 AM..
Old 08-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #359
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Karyn,
We never stop learning because our bodies are always changing! If you're 45, then probably should have your hormones checked. Pre-menopause can really sneak up on you. I'm 44, and I kept reading posts about pre-menopause, but was assuming it didn't apply to me. Turns out it did, I'm there! Now that I've used the progesterone cream for about 6 months, I can really tell the difference. It even drops my blood sugar in the morning about 10 points after applying it. I don't know why it's so connected to blood sugar and the ability to lose weight, but it definitely is! PMS symptoms are a clue to estrogen dominance. Google it to get more info.

I agree that ******* is best used for short periods of time. Many people are finding success in weight loss and restoring health using it that way, including several diabetics. See "Callling all Kimmers Maintainers..." and "Shakin' it up to Shake it down" for support in doing that--if that's what you choose.

Oh, there is also the Lyle McDonald approach, which is doing a protein-sparing modified fast interspersed with free meals or "refeeds" (bad choice of terms, eh?) that allow your metabolism to reset. I'm pretty impressed with what little I've done so far with that. I'm on a steep learning curve right now with it so it's too early to say if I'll keep doing it. There are several threads on that too, like Erin Bee's "For the love of PSMF."

**I'm not giving so much info to push this on you, just trying to get it all down here for others to check out too. These hormone issues can really sideswipe us and we sometimes need to change our routine to avoid problems. As diabetics, it is really important to get that weight off and keep it off!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #360
Senior LCF Member

I just got my 8 week check up report from my diabetic doctor. When i went 8 weeks ago i was 229 my a1c was 10.5 and i was not on a diet. Well after 8 weeks of being on a strict low carb diet. (I was allowed 165 grams a day)I was started on byetta and glipizide, and after 8 weeks my a1c is 7.3 and i lost 10 pounds. My doctor was so impressed. So guys we can do it. Have Faith