Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #301
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrielyn View Post
Quick question. I've been eating carefully, no sugar, no white/refined flour or white rice. Some processed foods. I had what felt like a sugar crash early yesterday evening. I had some leftover salad and some nuts and it passed but is this something I should monitor? Since I have only just been diagnosed and not given any instruction by the doctor (except for wanting me to take another pill) would any of you recommend I buy one of the monitors you've recommended and check myself to see how foods/exercise are affecting me?

Any/All information is much appreciated....

Carolyn
[COLOR="SlateGray"]Hey, Carolyn!

I second Dee on getting yourself a monitor. When my doc first diagnosed me, she immediately put me on Metformin rather than taking a 'wait and see' attitude. I think she decided to go head on with me for a couple of reasons--first, probably a lot of people who are diagnosed (especially us type 2s) struggle with our weight and general lack of exercise. Telling us to exercise more and eat less is sound advice but not always followed willingly or rigorously. Second, I am in a wheelchair with muscular dystrophy; exercise is not as viable a 'treatment' for me and losing weight is even more difficult when you're largely inactive, as I am.

When I got over my initial shock & dismay at the diagnosis, I actually attacked my WOE as vigorously as I could and started low cal/low fat and then I found low carb--my salvation. It led me to lose weight and bring my sugars very well under control.

As for the monitor suggestion, I too was initially diagnosed and prescribed meds... It was 3 months before I got an appointment with a nutritionist, set up and recommended by my doctor. At this meeting I was given my first monitor and taught how/when/why to use it, and of course, given menu instructions that helped in knowledge but not in usage--way too high carbs!

When I began testing I learned that I was way out of control because I didn't understand the link between carbs and blood sugar.

As you test your sugar, you'll eventually get more knowledgeable and comfortable about what foods react which way in your body.

My insurance covered the nutritionist, my first meter, strips, etc. BUT if you decide to get your own meter now, there are inexpensive ones you can buy until you get covered. A lot of us seem to like the One Touch brand (read through past posts in this thread for more info) and Wal-Mart carries a small, uncomplicated one for less than $20.

Starting off a good rule of thumb is to test when you wake, test 2 hours after your first bite of each meal, and some like to test at bedtime.

True, nobody actually likes sticking themselves and even THINKING about doing it 4-8 times a day seems horrible, but honestly? The lancets are so tiny and the device is so quick, you won't notice it as bad as you think you will... at least I didn't. Granted, needles are no fun, but once you find your 'groove' so to speak, it won't be your favorite thing to do, but it doesn't loom over you quite as monstrously as you think it will going in.

Lots of us also test at 1, 2, and 4 hours past eating a 'new' food we want to see how our body reacts to...

Check out older posts and get some ideas about meters, testing, foods, etc. and definitely post back when you have questions. Someone's always around with a thought to help...

Quote:
Since the doctor has not done anything except offer a glucophage prescription, and has made no mention of testing I will probably have to wait until I see him in August to get a script.
Don't be afraid to call and speak to his nurse about a diabetic education class, monitor, prescription, etc. My doc 'prescribed' the class I took, which was insurance-covered, and then so was the meter & supplies.
[/COLOR]

Last edited by Jewelthief; 06-21-2007 at 09:45 AM..
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #302
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
the R.ALA did not have much effect for me either, but the 600 mg of regular ALA taken once in the morning and once at night really helped. It also helps make me less puffy in the morning and I can get up earlier without feeling groggy.

Here is my experimental recipe for the day: I am going to mix glucomannan powder and splenda into chocolate unsweetened almond milk and refrigerate it awhile to see if it makes a decent pudding. I might also put a splash of cream in it. I saw on the internet that some people put diet pop in it, but that didn't sound very good to me. I am avoiding soy and whey protein right now, because they seem to cause cravings for me. The only treats I've had in a few weeks have been tea with splenda and a little cream and almond milk. I did manage to lose 6 pounds.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]I am going to read some more about the difference between ALA and R-ALA... From what I understood, the R-ALA was supposed to be like ALA on steroids--more effective. I have at least half the bottle left to take so maybe there'll be some notable difference if I stick with it. I may just buy the ALA afterward though and see if I can tell any difference.

WTG on the weight loss!! Are you still using ******* (I think it was you who said they were trying *******...) and are you keeping pretty close to the plan? I've put a few pounds back on as I escalated my carbs. My sugar seems to be handling the extra better than my waistline. Probably no more than 8-10 pounds at most in the last 4 months, but noticeable nonetheless.

I'm off to do some reading... Will check in with you guys later.

[/COLOR]
Old 06-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Jewelthief, thanks for the information. I think I'll do that, even if I can get my blood sugar closer to normal it's still going to take knowledge, supplies and effort to keep it there.

One more thing, if you don't mind. Is glucophage and Metformin the same thing? And does using these medicines effect weight in any way? I was thinking I read somewhere in this thread that someone lost weight when they were given this.

Thanks again.
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #304
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Jewelthief, thanks for the information. I think I'll do that, even if I can get my blood sugar closer to normal it's still going to take knowledge, supplies and effort to keep it there.

One more thing, if you don't mind. Is glucophage and Metformin the same thing? And does using these medicines effect weight in any way? I was thinking I read somewhere in this thread that someone lost weight when they were given this.

Thanks again.
[COLOR="Indigo"]Agreed on the info, supplies, knowledge... I'm about 18 months into this journey, and for as much as I know, there's always more to learn.

And yes, I just looked it up and Metformin is the generic of Glucophage... (I never retain that information!) When my doctor prescribed it for me she said it had the added benefit in that people had lost weight while taking it, and I understand (from reading elsewhere on LCF) that some are being prescribed this med not only for diabetes but also for weight loss and for helping them to conceive.

Karyn
[/COLOR]
Old 06-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #305
Senior LCF Member

That is very interesting.

I wonder if I should go ahead and get the prescription to see if it would help with the weight loss. Maybe I will see if I can find out what side effects there may be associated with taking this.

Not a thief but definitely a jewel....

Carolyn
Old 06-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #306
Senior LCF Member

I just went on line and googled glucophage side effects and I think I will pass on taking this until I absolutely have to. Most of the possible side effects are more nuisance then dangerous but there was at least one side effect, though rare, that could be a real problem.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Karyn,
I did lose the 6 pounds on *******. I lost about 10 pounds on my first round of *******, and then gained 4 of it back on Atkins in only a month. Oops--that big appetite of mine gets me in trouble. Now back on ******* I re-lost that four plus two more. I am definitely not the poster child for how to do quick and easy weight loss and keep it off (LOL). I do ******* loosely because I absolutely must maintain my energy level being a mom to a 5-year-old plus having a part-time job and running our non-electric, no plumbing homestead. If I lose weight too quickly via less than 1,200 calories or too little dietary fat, I don't feel good at all and can't function well. I'm finally learning what works best for me for weight loss. It sure has been a long journey, and I'm only half-way there.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #308
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: ChristiansMom
Stats: :( :| :)
WOE: HFLC
You know what is the most confusing thing for me regarding having diabetes? All of the special lingo you guys use

Seriously, all these words like ALA or R-ALA or glucowhateveritis or a number of other medications and pills and products that you girls (guys) are using. I'm lost on all of it.

The thing for me is - I can't afford to buy a bunch of different products, ingredients and such. I have to make do with what I buy for our family on a weekly basis and I hope that isn't going to hurt me in the long run.

I ended up buying a Woman's 1-a-Day Multivitamin. I couldn't find the ones that others suggested for me and I compared this multivitamin to a 'diabetic multivitamin' and this one had more of all the ingredients so I just went with it and I am not a vitamin taker at all. As I mentioned before, they use to make me ill but I've been taking it every day and I'm feeling much better because of it. I just have one question: If I eat in the morning and then wait about 30 minutes to an hour to take the vitamin - will it interfere with my testing at the 2 hour mark from when I ate? Meaning, does it count as a food item and therefore I need to wait another 2 hours from when I took it before I test?

I was really thinking about things last night and was honestly amazed with myself that I have not had anything but water and a couple of iced teas with Splenda to drink in over a month. I haven't had any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or anything made with flour etc. I've had no candy or full on sugar-packed sweets. I've stuck to the meat, cheese, egg, veggies, nuts rule and the only splurges I've had are SF pudding, SF Jello, Whip Topping and those darn mock cheesecake bites with SF jam. This is a record for me especially since at this point, normally, I would be off the plan and not looking back or I would be struggling really hard to stay on track. I do not feel like I'm struggling at all except that I feel guilty eating the SF stuff but I have no plans of getting off track or eating ANYTHING that has flour or is sugar-packed. That's a record.

I'm debating on how serious I need to get with losing the weight faster. I know I'll lose weight at the pace I'm going now. It will be slow but I believe it will stay off. I have zero patience. If I want to lose faster, I think I need to cut out all the SF stuff and start walking more than I have been. I'm not sure I can handle cutting out the SF stuff I think it's too soon. I do not do well when I have to change everything at once. Eating right, cutting out all those things listed above, exercising even a little, drinking my water, taking my vitamins and making sure my blood sugars stay in check is enough at the moment. I think taking away my SF 'treats' might send me over the edge.

Thanks for letting me get that out.
in the origin of your Light.
Matthew 5:14-16

ChristiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Diana,
For a rant that was pretty mild. You should be a fly on the wall when I decide to let loose! (LOL)

Okay, some answers for you. You can take vitamins any time, but with food is better to help absorb them, and is easier on your stomach. Don't count it as food.

The ALA and glucomannan and such are things that you can do a Google search to find. I used to tell people about web sites, but my posts got erased pretty frequently, so I have had to stop doing it. Now I just figure that if a person wants to know more, they will look it up online.

I understand completely about not having money to buy every supplement suggested for diabetics, as there are quite a few. Some are expensive and some are only a few dollars, but all together even cheap ones can add up. Myself, I spend a minimum of $150 a month on supplements, even getting them from discount places. That and a clean LC diet serve as my health insurance, so it's a real bargain for me, and I make other sacrifices so as to not go without supplements that do so much for me.

If a one a day vitamin is all you can afford, then that will have to do. If you are eating healthier foods and not stressing your body with all of the carbs anymore, then you may not need more than that. We really are supposed to be able to get all of our nutrients from food anyway.

No need to feel guilty about enjoying SF treats. I think it's important to be able to do that when you want to. Just be aware that they CAN slow weight loss and can trigger cravings, and sometimes contain ingredients that make blood sugars go whacky without carbs. You just have to juggle all of that the best you can. Being diabetic is a little complicated sometimes.

I did make my pudding today and thought it was reasonably tasty:
1 cup SF chocolate almond milk (or soy if you can eat soy)
1 tsp glucomannan powder sprinkled on and stirred in
2 T DaVinci syrup of choice
1 T cream (optional for extra creaminess)

Just stir it all up and let stand 10 minutes. Keep in refrigerator.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:26 PM   #310
Are we there yet?

Quote:
That is very interesting.

I wonder if I should go ahead and get the prescription to see if it would help with the weight loss. Maybe I will see if I can find out what side effects there may be associated with taking this.

Not a thief but definitely a jewel....

Carolyn

Some people do experience gastric upset in taking it, even I had some minor discomfort in the beginning and took it only with food. It doesn't bother me at all now and I can take it with or without, but be aware that you could be sensitive to it at first.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:34 PM   #311
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Karyn,
I did lose the 6 pounds on *******. I lost about 10 pounds on my first round of *******, and then gained 4 of it back on Atkins in only a month. Oops--that big appetite of mine gets me in trouble. Now back on ******* I re-lost that four plus two more. I am definitely not the poster child for how to do quick and easy weight loss and keep it off (LOL). I do ******* loosely because I absolutely must maintain my energy level being a mom to a 5-year-old plus having a part-time job and running our non-electric, no plumbing homestead. If I lose weight too quickly via less than 1,200 calories or too little dietary fat, I don't feel good at all and can't function well. I'm finally learning what works best for me for weight loss. It sure has been a long journey, and I'm only half-way there.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]I have felt lethargic when not taking in enough protein and fat too... Funny, I feel better able to handle my blood sugars at higher carbs now than a year ago (still keeping them under 30 net) but I truly do find myself climbing the walls looking for my next bite of food when I am eating higher carbs.

Having lost the weight and now gaining a little back, I am leery of getting too comfortable having a bite of this and that, and I think I'm going to have to find the will I found in the beginning. I've experimented with higher fat, higher carbs, moderate protein... It's hard to find 'just the right balance.'

Today was a good day for me; I've eaten fewer calories, fat and carbs, and although I've been aware of mild hunger, it wasn't DRIVING me to eat. Of all the food, my protein has been higher today in comparison, and I think maybe that is key for me.

I think I'll peek at the ******* plan and refresh my memory... That might help me kick back over into loss-mode.

[/COLOR]
Old 06-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #312
Are we there yet?

[COLOR="SlateGray"]Well, we certainly don't want to be the ones responsible for sending you over the edge, Diana--I'm not coming within 10 feet of your SF goodies.

Seriously though? If you have kept at this WOE for a few weeks and it's a total about-face from what/how you were eating before, you will lose! It may be slower but take it from someone who's struggled to lose even 3-5 pounds over the years, slower is better than nothing. You want this weight loss to 'stick' so you want to be able to find a way to eat (what is) healthy for YOU for the rest of your life.

A couple things to keep in mind... The SF goodies probably aren't doing any real harm as long as you aren't overeating them and you're counting those carbs into your total number in a day. If at some point you think it's holding you back, maybe instead of stopping them altogether, you could eat some every day but at half the amount you'd been having OR have a little something every other day.

Karyn
[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristiansMom View Post
I'm debating on how serious I need to get with losing the weight faster. I know I'll lose weight at the pace I'm going now. It will be slow but I believe it will stay off. I have zero patience. If I want to lose faster, I think I need to cut out all the SF stuff and start walking more than I have been. I'm not sure I can handle cutting out the SF stuff I think it's too soon. I do not do well when I have to change everything at once. Eating right, cutting out all those things listed above, exercising even a little, drinking my water, taking my vitamins and making sure my blood sugars stay in check is enough at the moment. I think taking away my SF 'treats' might send me over the edge.

Thanks for letting me get that out.

Last edited by Jewelthief; 06-21-2007 at 11:06 PM..
Old 06-26-2007, 07:08 AM   #313
Senior LCF Member

I so much appreciate the information here, and I want to thank all of you for sharing....

I'm being very careful about what I'm eating and I've lost a couple of pounds, which is not very significant but my clothes are definitely fitting more comfortable and that is very nice.

I think I'm going to wait on getting the bs monitor at this time but I did find where Wal-Mart as an Accu-Chek monitor for under $10 if I should change my mind. If I can continue to lose weight, albeit slowly, I'm moving in the right direction.

I received in the prescription from my doctor but it was for something called Actose and I'm wondering if anyone is using this medication and what you think about it. I've never heard of it but then that's not surprising since I know little or nothing about any diabetes medicine. I'll hold onto it until after I see him again in August. Still hoping to get everything under control by eating right and exercising more.

Again, thanks for sharing such an important part of your lives so that others might have it a bit easier.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
yes actos is very common med for diabetics and I believe safe in terms of what it does to your beta cells. It does have the side effect of putting on weight which it did to me.
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #315
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the input....think I'll pass on this for right now. Between age and thyroid I don't need anything that might put weight on.

Carolyn
Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #316
Senior LCF Member

I've been doing a bit more research on the glucomannan and fenugreek. Everything I've read about the glucomannan it is a very safe product but diabetics on prescribed medications need to watch their blood sugar levels closely when taking this herb. Though I guess this is not a problem for some.

I also found that where the fenugreek herb might help with blood sugar issues it can be a problem for people with thyroid issues.

I think I'm going to continue with the glucomannan but quit the fenugreek, at least at this time. I don't need problems with my thyroid medications along with everything else that's going on.

Regards to all....
Old 06-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abbott
Start Date: April 2000
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond to suggestions. At one point I just got tired of taking my BS every time I turned around and still not getting any clear answers of how to lower the BS. However, that said I am back on track with checking and in fact very excited about what I am finding.

First THANK YOU Mermaid (Lorena) for your suggestions/ideas. It has been priceless. I am always willing to try anything if I think it might help so I did order the Geromatrix Glucose Balance. I have never really been into herbs but I think I am now a believer. It said you could take up to 6 a day and having a BS averaging in the 130's I went ahead and took 3. Oh my gosh, the next morning I had a BS of 73. I must have taken my BS a t least four times and on different monitors ...I just couldn't believe it. I have NEVER seen mine under 98. It stayed under 100 all that day and the next morning was at 82.

I reduced the Glucose Balance to two pills a day and still find me just under 100 in the AM. I have been trying different things for the past week and will probably go back to 3 pills and see what happens. I am still taking 1500mg of Metformin and cinnamon each day along with the R-ALA. I do feel from what I have read that it is very important to take Metformin for the insulin resistance and it does help keep my BS numbers down -how much I am not sure. The Cinnamon which I have been taken for several years has no impact for me, even though studies show it does for a lot of people. I am not sure why I am still taking it. The R-ALA seems to be more effective for me by taking it prior to a meal. I have to take 4 pills and the result seems to hold off the BS climbing to high.

For me the one thing I can always count on is that what ever my BS is at night when I go to bed it will be the same in the morning when I get up! I have tested different foods that I eat and have found none of them that I really have a BS spike (other than when I over eat the item!). Generally, my BS climbs and slowly (several hours) comes back down with no high spikes from eating. I guess that is why low carb is so important!!

However, that said I still have a 30 to 40 point BS gain when I am outside working hard in our yard and it takes several days to get it back down. I was listening to Dr. Bernstein on a telecom where he was answering questions and he was asked what you could do to keep from getting a BS spike due to exercise and would eating protein help. Dr. Bernstein answered that eating protein would not help, but he also did not answer what you could do to keep the BS down.

One of the other questions that Dr. Bernstein was asked was there any herbs that might help reduce the BS. I surprised with his answer that he did not know of any.

I am sharing the above information in hopes that it might help others. As I read everyone's posts it seems like we all go through the same steps in dealing with our condition and information for each of us becomes critical at every point on the path to control of our BS. We also are all learning we cannot depend on our doctor to make the best decisions for us when it is our responsibility to take care of our own body.

I look forward to everyone's continued posts on their progress and sharing of information. We are all so different in our body's reponses, that every piece of information that you can share or questions you can ask is very important to each of us (-even us who lurk alot!!).
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #318
Notorious Veteran who doesn't know when to stop!

Location: Where I wish I could see my reflection in the snow covered hills...
Gallery: Stormyskies
Stats: Too embarrassed to tell ya!
WOE: Mostly Atkins, but not as strick as I should be!!!
Start Date: Over and over and over and over...
Diana,

I used to work at GNC -General Nutrition Center- and we always advised our customers to take the vitamin first and then eat. By burying the vitamin under the food, you are less likely to get an upset stomach from the vitamin. That's the way I always take mine. Taking one on a empty stomach can upset your stomach, and taking the vitamine on top of food can also cause an upset stomach. So my advice is to take your vitamin and then eat immediately afterwards.
Stormyskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #319

I have been talking to Diana (Christian'sMom), and she directed me to this forum. I'm really glad to have found this. Thanks Diana.

My name is Janis and I was officially diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes yesterday, June 26th. I had a blood test about a month ago that came back at 170, so the Dr. tested me again. This last test was 166. She put me on 500 mg Metformin, which I'm really apprehensive about taking. I would rather try to get my blood sugar down without medication, so I'm kind of torn between thinking maybe I won't take the medicine and just see how I do trying to establish a new healthy eating plan. I guess since the Dr. prescribed it for me, she must feel that I need it, but I'm scared of it. Honestly.

I'm a lot like Diana in that I started Atkins and had some sucess with it, but never stayed with it. Trying to change a lifetime of bad eating habits just doesn't happen over night. I am totally stressing myself out because everytime that I've started back on Atkins, or any diet for that matter, I've always failed. I'm so afraid of failing again. I'm trying to eat 6 small meals a day and I am finding this hard to do because I would usually eat 2 big meals a day and snack inbetween. I've bought myself some low calorie bread, sugar free yogurt and sugar free ice cream for when I absolutely have to have something sweet. I ate a scrambled egg and 2 Morning Star Farm sausage patties for breakfast this morning, and have been doing that off and on during the past week.

When I got up this morning, my fasting reading was 150. I just tested my BS a while ago and it was 142. I'm sorry that my writing is so choppy and incoherent, but my mind is jumping around and I can't think straight. I just wanted to come in and say hi. I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but I plan on doing that. I read about 3 pages into this thread, so I'll go back to finish it. I do see that a lot of people are taking Metformin, but I just wish I didn't have to. I wish the Dr. would have wanted to see how I did with my eating first before putting me on medication.

I have 3 diabetes classes coming up next month and I'm hoping that it'll give me some ideas. I, too, am devastated by being diagnosed with diabetes and it's a tremendous wake up call. I am swimming almost everyday and I'm doing my exercises in the pool, but once summer is over, I become sedentary again. I need to carry on an exercising program that lasts all year, not just through the summer. For me, exercising in a pool is a breeze! I hate to sweat and get over heated, so doing that in the pool is my idea of the perfect exercise. I need to lose a lot of weight. I'm 5'4 and as of yesterday at the Dr.'s, I weighed 340. I believe I've already lost 10 pounds because a few months ago, they couldn't even weigh me on the Dr.'s scale since it only goes up to 350. I have such a long ways to go that it's disheartening, but I know I have to start somewhere. The good news is that my cholesterol is very good. I'm thankful I don't have that to worry about, too.

It's nice to know there are so many nice people here giving such great advice. I look forward to learning a lot from you guys.

<><The Christian Gang><>
On the Playground Every Day!
Missing Kathy

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness but of power. They are messengers of overwhelming grief and of unspeakable love." - Washington Irving

Last edited by Stormyskies; 06-27-2007 at 12:16 PM..
Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abbott
Start Date: April 2000
Stormyskies
I would recommend you take the metformin rather than waiting. You can do a searth on the internet and what I think you will find is it is a very safe drug and will help you with the insulin resistance that you most likely have. Syndrom X is what it has been labled as, where you are overweight and have high blood pressure along with higher Blood Sugars. By the way my Cholesterol numbers have always been very good even though I have read that many people with high BS also get high cholesterol numbers.

I do recommend that you take the metformin at night with a meal or snack and maybe start off with only a half a tablet until your body gets adjusted to it. The one side effect is gastric problems and they can be horrible with some of us (including me!). Once your body accepts it you can slowly increase the amount you take. After my first 6 months on it I could finally take a full dosage (1500mg for me) and not have any problems.

Good luck.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #321

Abbott, thank you for mentioning Syndrome X. I went looking for it and boy, it sounds very scary. I now know why I have been so tired lately.

I will continue to take the Metformin. I'm supposed to take it in the morning and at night. So far, even though I've only taken 2 pills, I haven't felt anything different. I'm hoping I don't have the stomach upset some of you have had.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott View Post
Stormyskies
I would recommend you take the metformin rather than waiting. You can do a searth on the internet and what I think you will find is it is a very safe drug and will help you with the insulin resistance that you most likely have. Syndrom X is what it has been labled as, where you are overweight and have high blood pressure along with higher Blood Sugars. By the way my Cholesterol numbers have always been very good even though I have read that many people with high BS also get high cholesterol numbers.

I do recommend that you take the metformin at night with a meal or snack and maybe start off with only a half a tablet until your body gets adjusted to it. The one side effect is gastric problems and they can be horrible with some of us (including me!). Once your body accepts it you can slowly increase the amount you take. After my first 6 months on it I could finally take a full dosage (1500mg for me) and not have any problems.

Good luck.
How does someone know if they are or have Syndrome X ? If your diagnosed with high blood and a doctor prescribes a medication to help lower it?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #323

I have another question. I've been reading some things on the internet and this one lady was saying if she ate any carbs at all, they raised her blood sugar to unacceptable levels about 110. I thought anything under 125 was good. So is it really unacceptable to be slightly above 110? Thanks!
Old 06-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #324

Quote:
How does someone know if they are or have Syndrome X ? If your diagnosed with high blood and a doctor prescribes a medication to help lower it?
Here is an article I found on Syndrome X.

http://www.syndrome-x.com/
Old 06-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyskies View Post
Here is an article I found on Syndrome X.

http://www.syndrome-x.com/
Thank you very much . I read over this and found it very interesting. The article referenced some nutrients that I have home such as the ALA that Lorena swears by and chromium as something very useful.

There is more then one type of chromium out there to use. Do those of you who use chromium choose the picolinate type or the sulfate type? and why? I know I read something some time back that the picolinate type is not good for people but I can't remember where I saw this article. Can anyone help answer this?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #326
Senior LCF Member

If I become a pest please let me know.....
Old 06-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #327
Senior LCF Member

In my meanderings to answer my own question, I've found a site that wants to sell liquid chromium chloride saying this is the best not picolinate and then another site that wants to sell chromium picolinate saying chromium chloride is not good.

Can't really take these guys seriously since they're in the game of selling their product but where does one find the correct answer?

Does it really even matter which one? and of course there is a third one chromium sulfate.....ah yes, let's toss something else into Carolyn's confused mind to make it more so.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #328
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6-14-03
Hi Carrielyn,

You are not a pest, you are a person on a quest! I haven't had much input since I don't particularly use much supplements. I did go thru a time when I did, too much, and so expensive. I kind of went by the recommendation in Atkins book "Dr. Atkins Vita-Nutrient Solution." I don't know that they really did much for me one way or the other. So now I take a lot less of them.

I now have daily readings in the 90's mostly, and A1c that is at 5.0. This is from eating very controlled level of carbs daily, and more fat and protein than carbs. I have identified some specific foods that do raise my blood sugar levels, especially if eaten alone, and either avoid them totally or have small amounts as part of a meal.

I don't eat any sugary foods, wheat products, etc. It is hard sometimes, and I do occasionally want to just trash the whole plan and enjoy those peanut butter cookies, but so far haven't really gone that route. I have renamed those evil tempting things "suicide cookies" and that makes them much less appealing.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Abbott,
So glad to hear that the Geromatrix is working so well for you. Great! I only take two or three a day as well, usually just one in the morning and one at night. I accidentally took two (forgot I already swallowed one) one night and I ended up at 69 blood sugar at 2 am. Normally, my morning reading after taking one Geromatrix the night before is 90-105, without the pills (I sometimes forget) it is 120-130.

I experiment A LOT with different combinations of herbs/supplements. Cinnamon, I now conclude works great sometimes and sometimes not at all. Right now it's working. Took it with Germomatrix and went a little hypo (70).
But, Abbott, the combination that works best to avoid post-exercise blood sugar rise is Nature's Way Blood Sugar Formula. I get it for $6 a bottle. One pill can lower me about 10-15 points when I'm not exercising, but it can lower me 50-70 points when I am walking or working out! I have not gone hypo taking it, but rather always end up at about 85-95 (with exercise) no matter where I start, which one day was 170 (after eating some "low carb" toast at a restaurant--watch out for that stuff!!). I don't know if this will work for everyone else, but it's worth trying at such a cheap price (after checking with your doc, of course).

It is a little surprising that Dr. Bernstein didn't know about any herbs. He also doesn't seem to know that 30 grams of carbs is way too much for some people. Everyone has their blind spots, I guess.

Dreamerdee, how about making some low carb peanut butter cookies so you can enjoy a reasonable fascimile to the ones you crave? I just made those coconut rum balls in Dana Carpender's book, and they were insanely good. Kept my blood sugar under 100 after eating them too. I really don't feel deprived any more at all on Atkins (******* is a different story).
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #330

Ok, I have another question. The Dr. told me my AC1 test was 7.9. I'm not really sure what a good range is on that. What do they consider a good AC1 reading? Thanks again!